PDA

View Full Version : weird internet error.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-19, 02:33 AM
one. I can't bookmark anything.
two. youtube videos won't play.
three. the back and forward buttons do nothing.
four. whenever I go to a different page it'll log out of whatever I was on before.

anybody ever had experience with anything like this?

Prime32
2009-10-19, 04:21 AM
What's your setup? Home computer or work/school? Browser?

Yarram
2009-10-19, 06:15 AM
Firefox perma crashed for me four days ago, so I reinstalled it. It's now perfect. I had to reactivate all the flash and shockwave apps for anything to work.

Haruki-kun
2009-10-19, 08:05 AM
one. I can't bookmark anything.
two. youtube videos won't play.
three. the back and forward buttons do nothing.
four. whenever I go to a different page it'll log out of whatever I was on before.

anybody ever had experience with anything like this?

Yes, the exact same thing happened to me, on Firefox a long time ago. I was on Linux, but I'm guessing it might be the same thig....

Basically what happened was that my places.sqlite file was corrupted. places.sqlite is the file where Firefox saves your bookmarks and browsing history. What I had to do was delete this and start a new Firefox profile. Re-installing Firefox did nothing. Sadly, I lost all my bookmarks in the process, so I learned to back them up...

Mystic Muse
2009-10-19, 01:03 PM
Yes, the exact same thing happened to me, on Firefox a long time ago. I was on Linux, but I'm guessing it might be the same thig....

Basically what happened was that my places.sqlite file was corrupted. places.sqlite is the file where Firefox saves your bookmarks and browsing history. What I had to do was delete this and start a new Firefox profile. Re-installing Firefox did nothing. Sadly, I lost all my bookmarks in the process, so I learned to back them up...

I probably should have mentioned I was on linux.

do I really have to lose all my bookmarks? I've got about 700................

Jack Squat
2009-10-19, 01:19 PM
I probably should have mentioned I was on linux.

do I really have to lose all my bookmarks? I've got about 700................

Unfortunately, since you've got to create a new profile, yes.

Though I suppose you could try and go into Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and see if you can copy over the bookmarks.html file.

MethosH
2009-10-19, 01:39 PM
I probably should have mentioned I was on linux

There is your problem! :smallbiggrin:

Since I never really stumbled upon that particular problem I could at least tell a joke :smallbiggrin:

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-10-19, 05:12 PM
I am not that familiar with linux, so I am not sure if this is going to work, but there is a profile backup extension called febe in the addons that can allow you to save certain parts of your profile.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-19, 06:13 PM
Unfortunately, since you've got to create a new profile, yes.

create a new profile on Linux or firefox?

Jack Squat
2009-10-19, 06:22 PM
create a new profile on Linux or firefox?

Firefox. You'd be having some major problems if Linux was corrupt (as opposed to the normal "nigh impossible to set up" :smallwink:)

valadil
2009-10-19, 10:50 PM
Definitely make a new profile. Before you do that, open your current one and try to export your bookmarks. You should be able to back them up from the organize bookmarks screen. Make a new profile (or delete the current one by doing rm -rf ~/.mozilla/firefox/NAME_OF_PROFILE (hint, use tab completion to find the name of your profile)) and import the bookmarks there.

PROTIP: Use xmarks bookmark synchronizer. Instead of storing your bookmarks in your firefox profile they'll go to the xmarks server. This lets you share bookmarks between computers. This is awesome when you dual boot between windows and linux. Hell, even if you don't dual boot it's awesome that you'll never lose your bookmarks again. On a reinstall just load up xmarks and they'll come right back to you.