PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Monster Help Needed

Malos
2009-10-19, 04:13 AM
I am about to start a campaign where pretty much anything is available. DM has purchased pretty much every book and is tired of them not getting used. I have to come up with a character for this game, which in a second you will see, that it is a VERY high powered campaign.

Here are the rules for character creation.

Pick one of the following.

1) Normal race from PHB. Start with 10 in all stats. Add racial modifiers. Then add 64 points, point for point, anywhere you choose. Limit of 40 in a single stat.

OR

2) Choose anything from ANY Monster Manual (including Sword and Sorcery, and other D20 books. Only limits are as follows.

a) No evil. (Meaning no Usually Evil, or Always Evil)

b) Medium or Small size.

c) No undead

d) No dragons

e) No unique creatures (Tarrasque, etc.)

f) Must be capable of having a reason to adventure. (No oozes, etc.)

g) No multiple arms (Spellweaver, etc.)

After picking a monster, add two templates to it with the same limitations. (No Evil, undead, etc.) A few templates are prohibited because of ridiculousness. (Monster of Legend (MMII), Elite (Warcraft MoM), etc.) If it seems completely overpowered just by itself, it more then likely is a no no.

After picking templates, start with 10 in every stat, then add the monster racial bonuses (Subtract 10 from even Stats, 11 from odd stats) Then add the template bonuses. Then add 32 points, point for point. No cap on stats.

OR

3) Pick two monsters using rules above. Blend them together gaining bonuses and penalties of both creatures. Use the higher of two similar bonuses. Add one template. Then add 32 points, point for point. No cap on stats.

This may seem a bit wonky, but trust me when I say that it is balanced. Everything we can come up with, so can the DM. (and he has already before)

My a character that battles a darkness in himself that he learns to control eventually. (Monk/Swordsage/Shadow Sun Ninja)

My problem is that I have just WAY too many possibilities and I am flustered. So far what I have come up with is a Doppelganger/Drow (which is allowed because it is a PC race from the FR setting) with the Quickling template from the Advanced Bestiary (Green Ronin Publishing)

I could really use some other ideas as I am kinda tired of Drow.

Edit: I also forgot to add that you do not get the extra racial HD, BAB, Skill points AND the ECL doesn't count either.

JellyPooga
2009-10-19, 05:26 AM
One of the Giths (-yanki or -zerai) might make a suitable alternative to Drow.

My own choice would be to use the second option (any base race + 2 templats) and start with a Githzerai as the base creature and use the Were-Tiger and Half-Celestial templates.

Not, perhaps, the most powerful option, but you fly, Pounce, have fairly decent stat mods and a bunch of other stuff. Depending on how your GM rules, you may have to change the Tiger to Leopard or Cheetah due to size constraints.

bosssmiley
2009-10-19, 12:53 PM
I am about to start a campaign where pretty much anything is available. DM has purchased pretty much every book and is tired of them not getting used. I have to come up with a character for this game, which in a second you will see, that it is a VERY high powered campaign.
[...]
My problem is that I have just WAY too many possibilities and I am flustered.

First rule of cooking, chemistry and campaign design: adding the wrong item at the wrong time, let alone throwing it all in and hoping for the best, is little other than a recipe for disaster.

You may want to go back and cherry-pick particular things from books that fit the style and theme of the game you want to play, rather than try to cope with the crazy-go-nuts orgy of chargen abuse that will doubtless ensue. Just because the book is there, doesn't mean you have to allow everything in it.

No? I'll go back to being a lone voice in the wilderness, shall I?

My a character that battles a darkness in himself that he learns to control eventually. (Monk/Swordsage/Shadow Sun Ninja)

My problem is that I have just WAY too many possibilities and I am flustered. So far what I have come up with is a Doppelganger/Drow (which is allowed because it is a PC race from the FR setting) with the Quickling template from the Advanced Bestiary (Green Ronin Publishing)

I could really use some other ideas as I am kinda tired of Drow.

I'm glad that overstimulation is the sure fire cure for a jaded palate. :smallannoyed: