PDA

View Full Version : Non-Canon Character Relationships (a new Thread Idea...)

Kekken
2009-10-19, 11:05 AM
Okay, now I love a good, well thought out vs. Thread. You know, the ones with a good background and reasons for the character's in question to fight. They can really help one understand a character in an unusual situation.

However, I've been thinking. Antagonism isn't the only kind of interesting relationship. Thus, I propose a new kind of thread, where instead of focusing on two characters fighting, we take two characters who have never met in Canon (mostly, but not always, because they are from entirely different settings), and discuss the relationship dynamics between the two of them.

I'll get things started with my two favourite Discworld characters who have not yet (as far as I know), interacted. Samuel Vimes and Granny (sorry, sorry, Mistress) Weatherwax.

These two characters have one thing in common that stands out to me. They are both people who know (or believe) that they must always maintain a rigid, iron self control at all times. Vimes, because he knows he is capable of great acts of violence when pushed, and Weatherwax, because she knows that she constantly stands just behind the line of cackling evil. They are both extremely moral because of this, the morality that only those who fear the darkness within more than the darkness without can muster.

I wonder how these two would interact if they were forced to team up. Maybe the Duke of Ankh (Vimes) has been sent as an ambassador to Lancre, where (because he is a policeman on holiday, and where one finds policemen, one finds crime), it turns out the kings baby son has been kidnapped for ransom by dissidents unhappy with the direction the rather modern young king is taking Lancre. Since the witches are the closest thing Lancre has to the law, Vimes would probably find himself working with (maybe reluctantly), Weatherwax on this case.

I see these two as the unmovable object and the irresistible force. If they were to come to heads, the outcome would probably be a stalemate. But working together, there probably isn't much they couldn't do.

On a side note, I think Sybil Ramkins-Vimes and Nanny Ogg would get along swimmingly. Both are full of life with generous hearts, and if Sybil can think Nobby Nobbs is a charming rascal, she can definitely find Nanny Ogg's saucy innuendos and single entendre (she don't go for none of that fancy double entendre business) a delight.

So, what do you think, both of the idea in general and the example I gave?

chiasaur11
2009-10-19, 12:07 PM
Interesting general concept.

I admit I've wasted time considering different universe interactions, including the conclusion that DEATH and The Winslow are fairly amusing no matter who they meet up with.

Weatherwax and Vimes?

One thuing worth noting is that Vimes can lose. Not on the important things, sure. He's not a monster, a murderer, or the kind of man who'd miss reading "Where's my Cow?" but lesser issues he can be forced to fold on.

Granny, however?

Bad loser. In multiple senses of the term.

(By the way, the title sounds a bit... squickier than the subject.)

Indon
2009-10-19, 12:15 PM
I propose renaming the thread to, "X and Y... They fight crime! (vs-thread spinoff)".

Never read Discworld, but from what I know off of TVTropes, both would be handing in their badges regularly.

Athaniar
2009-10-19, 02:15 PM
So is this more like professional relationships or more... intimate affairs?
17x2=?

Sholos
2009-10-19, 06:59 PM
I think that keeping Granny and Vimes separate is a good thing, from a literary standpoint. They both deal with very different aspects of humanity, in very different ways, and I think it's a good thing they're separated.

On that note, they came very close to interacting in Maskerade, in that Granny and Nanny Ogg interacted with the Watch, which was interesting.

If they were to be thrown together, I don't think they'd get along very well. Their styles of dealing with problems are just too different.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-19, 07:21 PM
So... you want (mostly) crossover crack pairings? :smallconfused:

Except discuss how they could actually work...

This seems very interesting...

chiasaur11
2009-10-19, 07:23 PM
So... you want (mostly) crossover crack pairings? :smallconfused:

No, seems not...

Hopefully. It's just the title is awful.

Kekken
2009-10-19, 09:23 PM
By relationships, I mean all aspects of that word, not just romantic (I would have said romantic relationships, otherwise). I figured that regular readers of this site would be intelligent enough to know that.

Hopefully. It's just the title is awful.

I don't see what's so awful about the title. As I just said, the word "relationship" refers to all associations between two or more people, not just romantic or sexual. There is nothing "squicky" about the word except what the reader applies to it.

Squidmaster
2009-10-19, 09:38 PM
I think that keeping Granny and Vimes separate is a good thing, from a literary standpoint. They both deal with very different aspects of humanity, in very different ways, and I think it's a good thing they're separated.

On that note, they came very close to interacting in Maskerade, in that Granny and Nanny Ogg interacted with the Watch, which was interesting.

If they were to be thrown together, I don't think they'd get along very well. Their styles of dealing with problems are just too different.

Really? i would have assumed that they would agree to disagree, and still respect each other.

Eldan
2009-10-20, 05:19 AM
Ask yourself this simple question: would Mistress Weatherwax accept help? From a man? A watchman? In armor? Who will initially think he can take charge?

I don't think so.

Athaniar
2009-10-20, 05:57 AM
I don't see what's so awful about the title. As I just said, the word "relationship" refers to all associations between two or more people, not just romantic or sexual. There is nothing "squicky" about the word except what the reader applies to it.
This is the Internet. People automatically apply squicky.

chiasaur11
2009-10-20, 10:43 AM
Ask yourself this simple question: would Mistress Weatherwax accept help? From a man? A watchman? In armor? Who will initially think he can take charge?

I don't think so.

I agree on this one.

Poor Sam.

(And if it would delay Vime's nightly reading of "Where's my Cow", the phrase "Poor Granny Weatherwax", as seldom used as it is, comes into play here.)

The_Snark
2009-10-20, 05:05 PM
Really? I would have assumed that they would agree to disagree, and still respect each other.

Both have many fine points, but respecting people who disagree with them is not among either's strengths.

pita
2009-10-21, 06:50 AM
Light and Dexter. Dexter would see Light as a good helper, and Light will see Dexter as a tool. Eventually, Dexter will realize Light is using him and chop him into little pieces, which go in the Gulf Stream. He'll then go home and sleep with his wife, because he's just awesome, and then crack a serial killer case before the police do, while having an amusing monologue and a lot of introspection.
Hmm...
Alpha and SCRUBBED. NO GODWIN'S LAW HERE.
Horatio Caine and Samuel Vimes... They fight crime! YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

Cheesegear
2009-10-21, 07:28 AM
And if it would delay Vime's nightly reading of "Where's my Cow", the phrase "Poor Granny Weatherwax", as seldom used as it is, comes into play here.

Actually, given that a real witch looks around when a child cries. As opposed to looking at the Sun for a stupid challenge.
I think Granny would do all in her power to make sure Sam gets home.

I can already see Weatherwax saying "A father needs to read to his son...Get on!" then Sam jumps on the back of Granny's broom. Hilarity ensues. You plays with a dragon.

Also, due to plot, Nobby and Colon end up in custody of Greebo (who doesn't change into a man) for half the book.
Or Greebo is in custody of Nobby and Colon. :smallwink:

At some point, Nobby says to a bad guy;
"My weapon is the most dangerous weapon known to man."
The bad guys are scared. Nobby pulls out a box.
"I give you...Cat-in-a-box!"
The bad guys laugh.
...Greebo jumps out. The bad guys do not laugh.