PDA

View Full Version : Epic spellcasting: Transform

Edwin
2009-10-19, 12:19 PM
Yo.

I've been looking into epic spellcasting recently, which is not something I've ventured in alot, however, I did so with a very specific purpose in mind.

I was wondering if a 21st wizard could, and if so, how, transform himself into a dragon. I figured some use of the Transform seed would be the way to go, but I'm quite unfamiliar with the concept, so I came to you guys.

So, can you do it? And if you can, what sort of dragon would you be capable of becoming? Not in the sense of color, but rather, what age category would you be able to mimic? And would you keep your wizard levels?

Indon
2009-10-19, 12:28 PM
A lot of epic magic is freeform, which leaves just about the best advice for most would-be epic spellcasters as, "Get with your DM and work out the spells together, making sure that the spell has both power befitting an epic spell, and a cost and difficulty appropriate for the effect. Use the epic magic guidelines for what they are - guidelines towards this purpose, and mind that the system is skewed a bit towards epic magic being weak for its' cost."

Moriato
2009-10-19, 12:56 PM
Shapechange can do that pre-epic. Unless it needs to be permanent, then shapechange + polymorph any object would probably work for that.

Edwin
2009-10-19, 01:18 PM
Shapechange can do that pre-epic. Unless it needs to be permanent, then shapechange + polymorph any object would probably work for that.

I think you're misunderstanding; the point would not be to simply shapechange into a dragon - I'm well aware that there is a very specific spell series that does that.

No, what I would want would be to literally change my race, type and the whole goddamned thing, into that of a dragon. Hence, my delving in the screwed up mechanics of Epic magic.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-19, 01:40 PM
Only last Permanent so not that useful.
One Dispel and you are back to Mr. Human.

Human = Meduim. If I wanted a Huge Dragon (Mature Adult) = +12 DC (2 size increases).
+5 DC to be a Dragon.

You keep your own casting, but can't gain the creatures.

Now Supernatural/extrodindary: To grant Dragon Fear and Breath weapon= +20 DC (10 each)
Also (+2 DC each HD above 15) = 14 DC.
=+51 factors

Base DC 21.
So without mitigating factors: 72 DC.
Increasing caster to 10 minutes (from 1) is -18 DC.
So DC is now 54.

Here is relevant text:

The transformed creature or object acquires the physical and natural abilities of the creature or object it has been changed into while retaining its own memories and mental ability scores.
Mental abilities include personality, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, level and class, hit points (despite any change in its Constitution score), alignment, base attack bonus, base saves, extraordinary abilities, spells, and spell-like abilities, but not its supernatural abilities.
Physical abilities include natural size and Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores. Natural abilities include armor, natural weapons, and similar gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth), and possibly hardness.

Edwin
2009-10-19, 01:54 PM
Only last Permanent so not that useful.
One Dispel and you are back to Mr. Human.

Human = Meduim. If I wanted a Huge Dragon (Mature Adult) = +12 DC (2 size increases).
+5 DC to be a Dragon.

You keep your own casting, but can't gain the creatures.

Now Supernatural/extrodindary: To grant Dragon Fear and Breath weapon= +20 DC (10 each)
Also (+2 DC each HD above 15) = 14 DC.
=+51 factors

Base DC 21.
So without mitigating factors: 72 DC.
Increasing caster to 10 minutes (from 1) is -18 DC.
So DC is now 54.

Here is relevant text:

So casting the spell at 54 would grant me breath, Frightful presence, natural attacks and armor, size, fly and move speed, and keep my own spell casting?

How about things like Alternate form? It's a Su, so it would be covered if I throw in an extra +10 to the DC, yeah?