PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands: Yeah it has some guns

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-19, 12:54 PM
So Borderlands is coming soon. Xbox is getting it tomorrow, and PC gets it the 26th. Who else is craving this game like MAD?

Myself and 3 friends are going in on the 4-pack, so good times will be had indeed.

For those of you wanting to know more about this awesome game, I have prepared a short list of videos necessary to see:

The Trailer they released at Comic-con (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdBFWti6mkg)
The BEST promotional video EVER. Yup. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmUJrKGN3C0)
Giant Bomb did a 30 minute play-time session, where they just straight up played the game. (http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-borderlands/17-1498/)
A pretty good interview with their president. Talks a little bit about the millions of guns. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVtbuimMZGA)

"Millions of guns?" Yes good sir. Its been said that with every possible combination used, there are around 17,500,000 weapons in this game. "But come on, how many of those are just +2 damage or whatever?" I really don't know, though I've seen enough interesting things on these videos and streams that I trust them in this regard. I've seen revolvers with bayonets, I've seen teleporting grenades, grenades which explode and release more grenades, assault rifles which shoot fire bullets, sniper rifles which shoot explosive bullets. Etcetera.

Characters and their Skill Trees

http://gameaxis.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Borderlands_Team.jpg

Much of the following has been taken from Wikipedia:

Mordecai the Hunter (http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/mordecai/#10000000000000000000000)
Mordecai came to Pandora in search of a man from his past named Demosthenes. Upon learning that Demosthenes has died, Mordecai sets off to learn how he died and what he was carrying. Mordecai is most proficient with pistols and sniper rifles. His class specific skill is the ability to release a deadly pet Bloodwing which can be trained to kill multiple people at one time.

Lilith the Siren (http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#20000000000000000000000)
Once a human, Lilith at one point was turned into a siren. One of only six Sirens, they are a group of people with unbelievable powers, but no way to control them. She comes to Pandora in search of another Siren, in an effort to find out more about herself. Lilith's most iconic ability is called "Phase Walk", where she will teleport herself into another dimension where Lilith becomes invisible and can sneak around enemies with massively increased speed. Upon revealing herself, she detonates a shock-wave that can do area effect damage to all enemies.

Brick the Berserker (http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/brick/#30000000000000000000000)
A massive specimen of a man who likes to use his fists to smash the enemy above all else. He wears a necklace adorned with the paw of his beloved deceased dog. He fills in the tank niche and can take quite a beating. His class specific skill is being able to go into a state called "berserker" which makes him invulnerable for a short period and makes his melee attacks extremely potent.

Roland the Soldier (http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#00000000000000000000000)
Roland is a former soldier of the Crimson Lance, a sort of highly trained private military that disregards law and order. A decade-old vendetta is rekindled when Roland learns that the leader of the Brigadiers has a suspiciously similar name to a man he has sworn to kill. Roland's class specific skill is a turret. It can be specialized to deal damage, heal teammates, or spawn ammo. His other skills involve increasing the damage he can inflict to making his bullets heal teammates

Also a couple reviews came out.

IGN: 8.8 (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1035922p1.html)
Game Pro: 9.0 (http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/212640/borderlands/)
Giant Bomb: 4/5 Stars (http://www.giantbomb.com/borderlands/61-20487/reviews/)

So, discuss! One more week!

Comet
2009-10-19, 01:35 PM
I'm grabbing this game for my PC.

Ranis
2009-10-19, 02:06 PM
I'm picking this one up tomorrow as well. Hopefully it's a little more lighthearted than Halo and CoD.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-19, 02:11 PM
You forgot the most important part.

When does it come out for PS3?

((Apparently on 23rd. Dammit.))

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-19, 02:29 PM
Oh I wasn't even aware there was going to be a PS3 release.

valadil
2009-10-19, 03:09 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. It looks like Diablo set in Fallout land. I loved Fallout, but Diablo did nothing for me. Ideally I'll pick up a used copy - I just hope people are still playing online by then.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-19, 03:53 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. It looks like Diablo set in Fallout land. I loved Fallout, but Diablo did nothing for me. Ideally I'll pick up a used copy - I just hope people are still playing online by then.

Same here for me, except I like what I played of Diablo.

I'll probably just wait until people starting reveiwing it, though.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-19, 03:56 PM
IGN: 8.8 (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1035922p1.html)
Game Pro: 9.0 (http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/212640/borderlands/)
Giant Bomb: 4/5 Stars (http://www.giantbomb.com/borderlands/61-20487/reviews/)

Reviews have indeed started coming out.

Stormthorn
2009-10-20, 12:55 AM
Im torn. On one hand i like games with lots of guns. I loved Mass Effect for all its different brands, levels, and moduals for weapons.

But on the other hand i dont like being told:
"Your character has name W, history X, temperment Y, and storyline Z. Go behave like the writers have told you to."

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2009-10-20, 03:32 AM
Holy crap! I need this game; too bad I hawked my Xbox.

On the bright side, my friend has one. :smallcool:

KBF
2009-10-20, 03:41 AM
Im torn. On one hand i like games with lots of guns. I loved Mass Effect for all its different brands, levels, and moduals for weapons.

But on the other hand i dont like being told:
"Your character has name W, history X, temperment Y, and storyline Z. Go behave like the writers have told you to."

You don't like storylines or characters in games? You want to make your character however you like? Maybe you'd be more interested in writing a novel? I hear you can make money at that, and it doesn't require anyone to make a purely hypothetical supergame. Me? I like to enjoy a good story and find written characters interesting because I can accept the fact that they aren't me. I like to see the plot play out as I progress and maybe even influence what happens, though that usually just makes me feel guilty of my shortcomings. I love the feeling of the unraveling twists as each event unfolds, all from the character's point of view. Even if the story as a whole is lacking, even if it's just a simple level through level experience, I can always appreciate a interesting character.

Elder Scrolls are nice, and I guess Mass Effect's bit of character freedom was very fun. And Mass Effect even managed to tell quite an engaging story. But I don't think that's a direction the medium as a whole should take. Leave me some characterization please, it is delicious.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-20, 08:22 AM
Yeah that makes it sound like you only play specific RPG's. No gears of war? Half-life? Left4Dead?

I'm not sure if people are aware that this is a shooter first. Rpg second.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-20, 09:10 AM
Reviews have indeed started coming out.

Heh, 8.8 (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EightPointEight)

Having played some of it..

On one hand, the weapons are great. They really are. And the abilities are pretty fun too.

On the other, the story and charcters are rubbish.

warty goblin
2009-10-20, 10:33 AM
Heh, 8.8 (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EightPointEight)

Having played some of it..

On one hand, the weapons are great. They really are. And the abilities are pretty fun too.

On the other, the story and charcters are rubbish.

Excellent. Good characters could have ruined this game, so it's nice to know that they are almost certainly lazily constructed cliche sacks without clear motivation for what they are doing.

Miss Nobody
2009-10-20, 12:41 PM
Sniper rifles which shoot explosive bullets? Me likey.

Also, I really like the graphical style. It's very...distinct. I'll get it when they release it on the PC.

chiasaur11
2009-10-20, 12:47 PM
Sniper rifles which shoot explosive bullets? Me likey.

It gets better:
Shotguns that shoot rockets.

Also: RockPaperShotgun gave Borderlands the coveted four out of four thumbs up from Optimus Prime.

So, excitement.

Miss Nobody
2009-10-20, 12:53 PM
It gets better:
Shotguns that shoot rockets.

This is like the Rule of Cool near its finest.

Typewriter
2009-10-20, 02:30 PM
I picked it up during lunch and got about an hour in before I had to return to work...

It was fun, the music and scenery are quite awesome. The combat flows well, but it's easy to walk too far in any given direction and get randomly murdered because you're not powerful enough. Wish things were spread out a bit more.

I had a robot companion thing that REALLY started to get on my nerves, but it finally stopped following me around, but I can still hear it whenever I walk by.

The quests are interesting, the combat is fun. The graphics are pretty. It doesn't appear to be an open world like fallout, but instead a bunch of big areas independent of each other with borders and walls all around.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-20, 02:36 PM
Yeah that makes it sound like you only play specific RPG's. No gears of war? Half-life? Left4Dead?

I wasn't aware this was an RPG. I thought this was straight up first person action.

Does it have any RPG elements at all? Because character advancement does not an RPG make.

Typewriter
2009-10-20, 02:43 PM
Well aside from the company advertising it as an RPS(Role Playing Shooter) there is an inventory system, random weapon drops ala Diablo, quests gained from NPCs, vehicle crafting I believe, leveling with scaling HP, skill trees that you're able to spend points on to customize your characters abilities.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-20, 02:46 PM
So, where's the roleplaying?

Diablo 2 has most of those things (except vehicle crafting). It's not an RPG either.

Typewriter
2009-10-20, 02:49 PM
I suppose it depends on what ideology you subscribe to when it comes to RPGs.

I used to be in the group that argued that almost nothing was an RPG, things like Zelda.

Nowadays, I pretty much call it an RPG if that's what the developer intended it to be called. After all, all in pong you play the role of the paddle.....

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-20, 04:36 PM
You may think other-wise, but you don't need to develop a character in order for a game to be part rpg, in my opinion. According to wikipedia, diablo is an action rpg. I agree with wikipedia.

Edit: But I would rather not discuss this. These are just opinions about what is and what is not.

We can't change eachothers minds.

Another edit: I woulden't call the characters garbage. One thing I've really enjoyed from watching streams and such, is listening to the little things characters will say, similar to left4dead or tf2.

Mordecai: "Another trophy for my wall" "You like my pet?" etc

ocato
2009-10-20, 05:28 PM
I wasn't aware this was an RPG. I thought this was straight up first person action.

Does it have any RPG elements at all? Because character advancement does not an RPG make.

Apparently they think that Guns + talent trees = LOLWUT FPS-RPG INFORM THE MASSES THIS IS THE GREETEST GAME EVAR

I was hoping for more of a fallout with a grittier/deadlier combat system, honestly. Instead, I got pew pew +talents. While I was a little disappointed, I found that once I accepted it for what it is, I could really enjoy it.

Also, I have a gun that sets people on fire and has an axe-blade for a handguard.

I'm hoping that I can find some interesting/fun online play. I'll be the crazy medic hiding behind his Scorpio shooting you in the back of the head.

Stormthorn
2009-10-20, 06:58 PM

A shooter game character doesnt even need a name. But no! They had to have developed characters as the PCs here.
I guess its ok if they are well writen.

Cheesegear
2009-10-20, 07:54 PM
Am I right in thinking that the gameplay is a lot like Hellgate: London?

Ultimately a shooter with a few cool RPG-esque toys thrown in that sets it apart from other shooters where you don't get any choice at all, about anything?

Because I loved HG:L. If Borderlands is anything like it, I'll be pleased.
But, I live in Australia...So, I'm assuming my release date is a few months away. :smalltongue:

Morrandir
2009-10-20, 08:15 PM
As I recall, the Rock Paper Shotgun review summed it up as "Hellgate: London but not crap."

That said, I have it sitting in my Steam games list.

Sitting.

Mocking me.

CrazySopher
2009-10-21, 03:50 AM
Been playing Borderlands for the past few days. I have to say, it's pretty spiffy. :P Hellgate: London done right, with much more shoot-y and much less abject suck. Very pleased with it so far, will continue to play very happily. :smallbiggrin:

Cheesegear
2009-10-21, 05:42 AM
Summed it up as "Hellgate: London but not crap."

Originally posted by CrazySopher
Hellgate: London done right, with much more shoot-y and much less abject suck.

What's with all the HG:L hate? :smallfrown:
I mean, aside from the fact that is was marketed as - and therefore reviewed as - an MMO and the 'new' Diablo. A game it was never really intended to be.

Ah well, if Borderlands is anything like it...But better. I will be pleased.

Ranis
2009-10-21, 07:59 AM
I have grenades that explode, send white wisps through my enemies and damage them, then fly back to me and heal me. I have a shotgun that sets enemies on fire and a sniper rifle with teleporting bullets. I love this game.

Does anyone know what that opening song is? I want it.

Breltar
2009-10-21, 08:16 AM
I have grenades that explode, send white wisps through my enemies and damage them, then fly back to me and heal me. I have a shotgun that sets enemies on fire and a sniper rifle with teleporting bullets. I love this game.

Cage the Elephant - Ain't no rest for the wicked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t99bpilCKw

Healing grenades, awesome.

Joran
2009-10-21, 09:19 AM

Stop taunting us with the PC version! ;_;

It's sitting there in My Games tab just mocking me :(

Ranis
2009-10-21, 09:39 AM
It's not out for the PC? When is it coming out for PC?

Breltar
2009-10-21, 09:46 AM
It's not out for the PC? When is it coming out for PC?

26th, you can get it through steam if you want as well and they have a 4 pack deal if you have 3 friends you want to buy it with. The 4 pack is a significant discount.

Joran
2009-10-21, 09:51 AM
26th, you can get it through steam if you want as well and they have a 4 pack deal if you have 3 friends you want to buy it with. The 4 pack is a significant discount.

Yup, $33.75 per person. That was the only reason I bought it before waiting for the reviews. That and the shotgun that fired flaming razor blades.

Jack_Banzai
2009-10-21, 11:27 AM
Beautiful game. Tons of fun. Played with my roommate over PSN and just couldn't get enough. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

And oh, that sweet little firestarting signature pistol you get is great... but once I got my first revolver, I never went back to repeater pistols. I am HOOKED.

Morrandir
2009-10-21, 07:50 PM
Preload's up!

Except not really. Servers are getting absolutely flooded.

Stormthorn
2009-10-21, 11:53 PM
Do i but this game or not? I dont know!!!

On one hand its 60 bucks for a game with no demos available.
On the other hand, i loved the Diablo series' way of randomly generating weapons.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-22, 08:12 AM
Preload's up!

Except not really. Servers are getting absolutely flooded.

Preload'd last night.

It might have been a mistake to make a desktop shortcut so soon.... urg.

Somebloke
2009-10-22, 10:59 AM
Without the ability to shoot Kamikaze puppies your so-called 'options' are meaningless.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-10-22, 06:12 PM
I could have been playing me some co-op Borderlands right now, only to find out that you can't use multiple PSN accounts in the same game, even though they're both on the same Playstation (for the record, games that have been out for a year can do that).

Joran
2009-10-22, 08:26 PM
I could have been playing me some co-op Borderlands right now, only to find out that you can't use multiple PSN accounts in the same game, even though they're both on the same Playstation (for the record, games that have been out for a year can do that).

I know there was a PS3 patch that just got pushed out because of some errors with the co-op. That said, I'm surprised you didn't get it for the PC; I'd assume something beefy enough to run DoW2 would be able to play it on the PC (the natural platform for FPS!) ;)

I guess I should be thankful that Borderlands isn't unlocked until Monday afternoon so I won't be tempted to play at Sunday night/Monday morning.

Stormthorn
2009-10-22, 11:45 PM
Man, this game is brutal.

I have a blue class sniper rifle with incendiary 3 and a purple SMG with the effect that makes the damage readout alternate between the damage number and a little x2. I have teleporting grenades.

One single enemy, on the attempt in which i finaly killed it, took 120 SMG rounds, 5 sniper rounds, 3 teleporting grenades, and a number of knife stabs. ONE ENEMY. It was a Badass lvl 13 Skag Spitter. The very next nest, their was another one.
Two fights later, the game threw at me an enemy with a multi-launch rocket launcher. One indirect attack destroyed my shield and took me down to 12 health.

FoE
2009-10-23, 12:50 AM
Is there any point to playing this game if I generally don't play XBox Live?

Stormthorn
2009-10-23, 01:27 AM
Is there any point to playing this game if I generally don't play XBox Live?

Im playing it not on Live.

I have a revolver that fires seven rounds with each trigger pull now. 10 shots and the most recent boss was toast.
It helped that each of those seven rounds is benefiting from a +70% boost to damage. You know, in a supernatural horror steampunk wild west game i had a character with essentialy the same gun.

potatocubed
2009-10-23, 06:30 AM
So: if I buy this game on Steam, and I want to play some co-op, do I need to connect through Games for Windows Live? Or is the game-arranging system internal to the game itself?

Ranis
2009-10-23, 08:40 AM
Has anyone recieved the special quest reward rocket launcher called The Leviathan yet? I can't figure out what's so special about it.

Morrandir
2009-10-23, 09:20 AM
So: if I buy this game on Steam, and I want to play some co-op, do I need to connect through Games for Windows Live? Or is the game-arranging system internal to the game itself?

Borderlands uses Gamespy for multiplayer matching.

Callos_DeTerran
2009-10-23, 09:37 AM
My question is where the OP got that information on each character's background.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-23, 11:22 AM
My question is where the OP got that information on each character's background.

Note that each of them had a link.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-23, 01:10 PM
The links are just talent trees. I got the info from Wikipedia, as I stated right above it.

Stormthorn
2009-10-23, 04:37 PM
I got me a gun. The Double Anarchy. She is an SMG with a clip of 69 that fires four rounds instead of one and she has a scope.
I call her Vera.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-23, 05:15 PM
Why is it that I didn't hear about this game until this thread? :smallconfused:

Pie Guy
2009-10-24, 08:38 PM
I found a shotgun with a scope. And it still had effect at 30 yards.

:smallbiggrin:

Breltar
2009-10-26, 09:39 AM
Why is it that I didn't hear about this game until this thread? :smallconfused:

They actually had commercials for it on Cartoon Network during Adult Swim (late night cartoons for adults) as well as on G4 and the Syfy channel.

So do you live under a rock? :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-26, 11:31 AM
Steam had better release this in the 2.5 hours it is scheduled to release in. Or... well I will not be pleased. :smallfrown:

Zovc
2009-10-26, 11:33 AM
You've made me want to buy this game. I only wish I identified with the characters more (Read: I wish I had an option that resembled me more : /).

Jokes
2009-10-26, 01:17 PM
Steam had better release this in the 2.5 hours it is scheduled to release in. Or... well I will not be pleased. :smallfrown:

Man, I stayed up to 5am to play this, then they spring this in the steam forums-

Sorry for the confusion, guys. There was a slight mix-up with the release dates. North America will be releasing in an hour or so while Europe, Australia, etc. will be releasing 12:01am GMT on the 30th.

The count-down you see on the page now should be accurate.

Worst day of my life :smallfrown:

Nano
2009-10-26, 01:55 PM
YOU'RE LATE, STEAM. It's time to play, but I'm not yet playing. Nerd rage.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-10-26, 02:03 PM
I know there was a PS3 patch that just got pushed out because of some errors with the co-op. That said, I'm surprised you didn't get it for the PC; I'd assume something beefy enough to run DoW2 would be able to play it on the PC (the natural platform for FPS!) ;)

My brother is the one that bought the game, so his decision.
His decision - offline co-op. Also, my graphics card broke, so now I'm stuck with the one that came with the computer until Christmas.

Zeful
2009-10-26, 02:06 PM
They actually had commercials for it on Cartoon Network during Adult Swim (late night cartoons for adults) as well as on G4 and the Syfy channel.

So living without expensive cable/satellite is equal to living under a rock?

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-26, 02:09 PM
Just unlocked on steam. Servers getting pounded.

I AM POUNDING

Joran
2009-10-26, 02:29 PM
Just unlocked on steam. Servers getting pounded.

I AM POUNDING

This is why I preloaded over the weekend :) Hopefully, I can find some time to play.

My friend actually preemptively took the day off tomorrow on the idea that he'll be so addicted that he needs to play all tonight and tomorrow.

P.S. Another reason to get it on Steam. The retail version comes with SecuROM, ugh.

Breltar
2009-10-26, 02:41 PM
So living without expensive cable/satellite is equal to living under a rock?

Digitally? Yes.

Mine isn't that expensive. :smallsmile:

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-26, 02:44 PM
I also preloaded.

There is decryption happening, and mine is going very slow.

shadow_archmagi
2009-10-26, 03:02 PM
So anyway I was driving along, sort of half-keeping an eye on the Borderland's thread in another forum, not watching the trailers, not looking at the screenshots, maybe contributing to the discussions a little

Then this guy pops online from this clan I used to be in but that hasn't actually done anything (as far as I know) for the past two years.

He gifts me a copy!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-27, 09:01 PM
So this game is pretty damn awesome.

I wish I had more to say.....

But they seriously need to fix all the online issues it is currently having. Please dear god fix them (on PC).

Otherwise, F'ING AWESOME

Stormthorn
2009-10-27, 09:52 PM
So this game is pretty damn awesome.

I wish I had more to say.....

But they seriously need to fix all the online issues it is currently having. Please dear god fix them (on PC).

Otherwise, F'ING AWESOME

You on the PC version? What sort of issues?

Mr. Mud
2009-10-27, 09:55 PM
I literally get shivered everytime the music comes on in the trailer...

... Gonna be a great game. Lacking a tad plot wise, but the gameplay already tastes fantastic (and I haven't seen any yet)

warty goblin
2009-10-27, 10:04 PM
I literally get shivered everytime the music comes on in the trailer...

... Gonna be a great game. Lacking a tad plot wise, but the gameplay already tastes fantastic (and I haven't seen any yet)

And really, if you're playing an FPS for the plot, you're probably doing it wrong. The point isn't the story, the point is the satisfying ka-CHANK of you pumping the shotgun.

Stormthorn
2009-10-27, 10:20 PM
And really, if you're playing an FPS for the plot, you're probably doing it wrong. The point isn't the story, the point is the satisfying ka-CHANK of you pumping the shotgun.

Its the feeling you get when you fire a single round from your Explosive 4 sniper rifle, blow a midget into chunks with your headshot while dealing enough damage to kill him four times over, then watch as the explosive effect detonates a nearby barrel of pressurized acid, which sprays out and dissolves two guys.
I did this today.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-28, 02:59 AM
You on the PC version? What sort of issues?

1. No push to talk voicechat.
2. I find the menu's kind of iffy. Doesn't appear to have full mouse support.
3. You cannot host a game without going through a series of hoops (port forwarding) and then even joining games doesn't always work. Its just a pain.

Joran
2009-10-28, 10:55 AM
So far I'm enjoying the game. It's tapping into that MMO obsession that I kicked when I quit WoW.

So far, I'm liking Flame guns a lot, especially with something that fires a burst at long range. Currently, I have a Flame SMG and I can usually set one of those Skags on fire from a distance and have them burn before they get to me.

Celesyne
2009-10-28, 11:04 AM
So, having achieved this game for the PC, What are you GiTP's gamespy names so we could get together and do someplaying?

Mines easy : Celesyne :smallbiggrin:

Joran
2009-10-28, 12:26 PM
So, having achieved this game for the PC, What are you GiTP's gamespy names so we could get together and do someplaying?

Mines easy : Celesyne :smallbiggrin:

I don't think I signed up for Gamespy yet, although I may have an old account from the Counter-Strike days. These double add-ons drive me batty. I have Steam, I don't want to install another utility and introduce another failure point to play with my Steam friends =P

Ranis
2009-10-28, 02:06 PM
I'm on my second playthrough on the 360 version, and with four people in the game things can get just a little crazy. The Marley and Moe fight was EPIC, I wish I could have taken a picture of the battlefield when everything was said and done. There was loot in a two-football-field-length sprawl in a literal field of white loot wisps. It got so bad that the four of us were having difficulty seeing the skags through the loot wisps! It took us about 30 minutes for that quest, when everything was all said and done. It made things difficult to see Moe and Marley, because we were having trouble orienting ourselves through the white forest of ammo.

Joran
2009-10-28, 02:21 PM
I'm on my second playthrough on the 360 version, and with four people in the game things can get just a little crazy. The Marley and Moe fight was EPIC, I wish I could have taken a picture of the battlefield when everything was said and done. There was loot in a two-football-field-length sprawl in a literal field of white loot wisps. It got so bad that the four of us were having difficulty seeing the skags through the loot wisps! It took us about 30 minutes for that quest, when everything was all said and done. It made things difficult to see Moe and Marley, because we were having trouble orienting ourselves through the white forest of ammo.

I have noticed that despite buying the ammo capacity upgrades, I'm still at full ammo on everything except my main weapon.

I get a revolver and then suddenly revolver rounds start dropping from the heavens...

My friends and I are doing a 4 person multiplayer session; everyone's going to be rolling a new character for it. Anyone have experiences with dropping in mixed level people?

Celesyne
2009-10-28, 03:09 PM
You don't have to install another STEAM-like entity for gamespy. It's built in, you create an account in-game, or if you have an old one you can log into it, and the game itself runs everything, just using Gamespy servers.

Ranis
2009-10-28, 03:37 PM
I have noticed that despite buying the ammo capacity upgrades, I'm still at full ammo on everything except my main weapon.

I get a revolver and then suddenly revolver rounds start dropping from the heavens...

My friends and I are doing a 4 person multiplayer session; everyone's going to be rolling a new character for it. Anyone have experiences with dropping in mixed level people?

The lowest level player should host, because that way when he catches up to where everyone else is, all players in the game will get credit for the quests being done. Also, if the characters are going to be exclusively for 4 players, I highly suggest each player pick two primary weapons that they will specialize in so no one is fighting over good weapon drops/ammo.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-28, 04:39 PM

Once I had my level 18 brick join a game of 11's and 12's. We went through that shock crystal place, and by the time we were out they were both 15. :P

Basically they catch up fast.

Also if you are on PC, make sure someone can actually host. Wasn't joking about that port stuff.

Cheesegear
2009-10-28, 05:00 PM
What's so special about 'preferred weapons'? As far as I can tell, I pick up a weapon, and I can use it. :smallconfused:

Ranis
2009-10-28, 05:34 PM
That means the character's abilities will be better suited toward the preferred weapons. The hunter has abilities whose increase his use with pistols and sniper rifles, so they are his preferred weapons. Etc, etc.

Cheesegear
2009-10-28, 05:55 PM
That means the character's abilities will be better suited toward the preferred weapons. The hunter has abilities whose increase his use with pistols and sniper rifles, so they are his preferred weapons. Etc, etc.

Ah...But, if I don't level up in those abilities, then preferred weapons are pointless? Correct? So far I've been leveling my Soldier with abilities that are suited to 'All weapons' and leaving Shotgun/Rifle abilties alone.
Am I on the right track?

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-28, 06:01 PM
Ah...But, if I don't level up in those abilities, then preferred weapons are pointless? Correct? So far I've been leveling my Soldier with abilities that are suited to 'All weapons' and leaving Shotgun/Rifle abilties alone.
Am I on the right track?

Classes do not have any inherent bonuses to anything, if that is what you are asking. A level 20 brick with nothing equipped and no talents distributed will be exactly the same as a level 20 lilith with nothing equipped and no talents distributed, I believe.

Cheesegear
2009-10-28, 06:31 PM
Classes do not have any inherent bonuses to anything, if that is what you are asking. A level 20 brick with nothing equipped and no talents distributed will be exactly the same as a level 20 lilith with nothing equipped and no talents distributed, I believe.

Hmm...Do the classes level up their preferred weapons faster? Or something...

So far, I have my Soldier running around with a Sniper Rifle and a Pistol, and I've had no detriments as far as I can see.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-10-28, 06:33 PM
I believe Brick has more health than Lilith, but I'm not sure.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-28, 06:52 PM
Hmm...Do the classes level up their preferred weapons faster? Or something...

So far, I have my Soldier running around with a Sniper Rifle and a Pistol, and I've had no detriments as far as I can see.

Don't worry about preferred weapons. It doesn't show up anywhere but the character select screen. And its just there to say "Hey you like shooting people with this kind of gun? Well this character has a lot of skills focused in it!" Seriously don't worry about it.

And Brick only has more health than lilith because of his skills and class mods. The first mod I found gave something like +25% health, and my first 5 skill points were used to raise my health +60%

Nano
2009-10-28, 11:06 PM
Beat it in 21.1 hours as a level 36 Siren. Woo.

Pie Guy
2009-10-29, 06:23 AM
The ending was crappy, wasn't it?

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-29, 09:47 AM
I used trickery in the form of VPNs to unlock it early.
My love for BOOM is like a truck, BERSERKER.
Would you like some blowing up, BERSERKER.
(I use a tank/rocket Brick. I use multiple rocket launchers)

Joran
2009-10-29, 11:47 AM
Good choice by us to use new characters. We can better build our characters around the team concept.

It did take us around half an hour and each person trying to host a server before we managed to get all the port forwarding right and for it to take on someone's router so it worked.

Also, why are all the sites searched for under "Borderlands Port Forwarding" in google spam/attack sites? =P

SuperMuldoon
2009-10-29, 12:40 PM
does anyone know if they are still doing that party pack thing where you buy 4 copies and gift 3 of them to friends for a discount? Or was that only for release?

Miss Nobody
2009-10-29, 12:41 PM
So, I've got a sniper rifle that sets people on fire, grenades that teleport, grenades that explode into more grenades and a shotgun that fires a bunch of blue things that bounce.

I love this game.

Gullara
2009-10-29, 12:57 PM
My brother is kinda going insane waiting for an opportunity to buy this game. I was calling him crazy for being so psyched, but after reading this thread and a couple of reviews I have to say I'm psyched too. I can't wait to get it.

Joran
2009-10-29, 01:13 PM
does anyone know if they are still doing that party pack thing where you buy 4 copies and gift 3 of them to friends for a discount? Or was that only for release?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8980/

You have to buy all 4 at once. Bought in the four pack, it's still around $37-38 per game, which is not bad at all.

You did miss out on the 10% pre-release discount.

Morrandir
2009-10-29, 02:54 PM
The ending was crappy, wasn't it?

Plot isn't a big part of Borderlands.

That said, INTERPLANETARY NINJA ASSASSIN totally made up for it.

SuperMuldoon
2009-10-29, 03:44 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/8980/

You have to buy all 4 at once. Bought in the four pack, it's still around $37-38 per game, which is not bad at all.

You did miss out on the 10% pre-release discount.

Thanks, this is what I was talking about. Bummer that I missed out on the 10% but I have a group of friends who will go in on the 4 pack with me so its still a good savings!

shadow_archmagi
2009-10-29, 07:28 PM
I uh

I gotta say.

This game isn't really living up to expectations for me.

I mean, yeah, OK, it has randomized weapons. But they don't really feel random. 99% of the ones I've seen so far are "Ok so this pistol is a pistol and it is just like yours except it has three extra bullets in the magazine and does one less damage" which isn't really interesting.

And uh, the variety in weapons isn't really matched by a variety in enemies. There's basically just skags and bandits so far, and 18 levels is a long time to go on two enemies. (Rakk do not count because they act less like enemies and more like minor irritants. Larva Crab Worms do not count because they only show up in one area that involves one quest that is optional)

The vehicle action seems really halfhearted. While it feels great to zoom up and off a rock and flip over in mid-air blasting skags with a rocket launcher...

For every time that happens there's the time I'm zooming along, in full turbo mode, and I hit something like a skull or a signpost and suddenly and instantly come to a complete stop. Or the time my car was exploded by bandits and now I have to walk back and I realize that ultimately the rocky waste that is between point A and point B is nothing but pointless waste, existing solely as an excuse to code vehicles.

Vehicles which, I'll say now, are designed for console use. Like everything else. Page up and Page Down are genuinely how they assumed you'd want to navigate screenfuls of information. Not like a scroll wheel exists or anything. The whole philosophy of interface design seems very much geared towards console. Which is a shame since, as Paco Underhill will tell you, the little things count.

I mean, it's fun, but, uh, I dunno.

Doesn't seem up to par with the rest of my games.

Stormthorn
2009-10-29, 08:46 PM
This game isn't really living up to expectations for me.

I mean, yeah, OK, it has randomized weapons. But they don't really feel random. 99% of the ones I've seen so far are "Ok so this pistol is a pistol and it is just like yours except it has three extra bullets in the magazine and does one less damage" which isn't really interesting.

Whats wrong with extra bullets?

I got one smg that fires spiraling bouncing bullets. And for every round of ammo expended, it shoots two.
I dropped it when i found one that fired normal bullets, but fired four per every round of ammo expended.

Is their a limit to how many proximity mines the game lets you place? I put down 10 i think once.

Im at the point in the game where you fight the Raak Nest. I just downed it. Oh, my god. I hate those flying things.

So, what happens on a second playthrough of the game? If is difficult enough that you need to bring some extra players? Because so far im playing solo or with my one friend who owns the game.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-29, 09:01 PM

...But he's complaining about how weapons seem so similar?

Instead of say, comparing the more dissimilar weapons.

shadow_archmagi
2009-10-29, 09:12 PM

I got one smg that fires spiraling bouncing bullets. And for every round of ammo expended, it shoots two.
I dropped it when i found one that fired normal bullets, but fired four per every round of ammo expended.

Two things. Two things.

1. I havn't seen any gun that has odd bullet properties besides the ole "x4 shots per shot." I feel like with 36 being the expected end level for the first playthrough, there should be nice interesting and nifty things by 17.

2. There should really be MORE variety. What happened to grappling hooks and corner-cutters and whatnot?

Joran
2009-10-29, 09:37 PM
Two things. Two things.

1. I havn't seen any gun that has odd bullet properties besides the ole "x4 shots per shot." I feel like with 36 being the expected end level for the first playthrough, there should be nice interesting and nifty things by 17.

2. There should really be MORE variety. What happened to grappling hooks and corner-cutters and whatnot?

I can't disagree with you about the variety. My will to grind for gear and to fulfill meaningless quests of going to some corner and killing something or going to another corner and grabbing something seems to have waned. I think I grew out of it after WoW.

However, I played 4 hours with my friends last night and it was an absolute blast. I think as a multiplayer game, it's less annoying and tedious.

Morrandir
2009-10-29, 10:15 PM
Two things. Two things.

Most of the craziness comes in on weapons that have the red flavor text. One that's a set drop from a boss causes the bullets to zig-zag and ricochet.

Also, at that level, you should start seeing the apparently very rare Eridian weapons. Those always have the red text, and tend to just be weird on their own. I've got an Eridian combat rifle that fires homing bullets.

Homing.

Bullets.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-29, 11:42 PM

No, I just don't watch TV anymore. And my family never got cable, so I couldn't get those channels even if I did.

Ranis
2009-10-30, 01:35 AM
I just got to my third playthrough with a friend, and this is the point of the game where the difficulty hits a brick wall while you're going 100 miles per hour. All enemies are level 50, the third playthrough equivalent of Badass enemies have around 400,000HP, and almost everything kills your shields instantly in 2 hits. I got hit by a midget psycho enemy and went from full health/shields to 100HP.

However, Eridian weapons are very common at this point, as are amazing orange and dark orange guns to make up for it. I wonder what 4-player will look like in playthrough the third. Insane.

Stormthorn
2009-10-30, 04:56 PM
I just got to my third playthrough with a friend, and this is the point of the game where the difficulty hits a brick wall while you're going 100 miles per hour. All enemies are level 50, the third playthrough equivalent of Badass enemies have around 400,000HP, and almost everything kills your shields instantly in 2 hits. I got hit by a midget psycho enemy and went from full health/shields to 100HP.

However, Eridian weapons are very common at this point, as are amazing orange and dark orange guns to make up for it. I wonder what 4-player will look like in playthrough the third. Insane.

Your on your third playthrough....
And i was worried i was spending too much time with the game.

I just started my second. My entire first playthrough i only found one top-tier weapon (which are white, making them hard to tell from bottom tier at first glance) and it was worse than my blue Double Anarchy of the same level (lvl 22)
In fact, at level 36 i have yet to find any rapid ifre weapon better than that lvl 22 smg.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-30, 05:51 PM
I just found a blue double anarchy, and while its good, it honestly seems more like a large-spread shotgun than an smg to me. :smalltongue: I mean, I picked a spot and just shot at a wall with different weapons, and the DA was significantly more inaccurate than anything else I had, including a couple shotguns.

Though to its credit it definitely just about covered every inch of that wall. Thing is some kind of bullet hose.

How do they not feel random? You mean they don't feel unique?

But I kind of agree with you on some points, or I did. But now that I understand what elemental multipliers mean, red text, scope sizes, etc, the game of finding loot has become much more interesting to me. Maybe they just don't include alot of that stuff in the lower levels.

What I am trying to say, is that the little things matter. I am currently wielding a shotgun with a 12 round clip with a 70.0 in accuracy, 95x7 damage, and a 2.0x scope. A two round high damage revolver which seems to always apply a low level elemental (electricity) effect on whatever it hits, with a high enough accuracy to make it an awesome weapon to fire from the hip. A rocket launcher with a small scope which with every hit inflicts massive amounts of fire damage over time. And my fourth slot is usually devoted to whatever cool gun I've found. Currently a Double Anarchy.

If the random generator suddenly switched out my shotgun, revolver, and rocket launcher for random similarly leveled weapons, my playstyle would be drastically different.

Darth Mario
2009-10-30, 06:11 PM
What I am trying to say, is that the little things matter. I am currently wielding a shotgun with a 12 round clip with a 70.0 in accuracy, 95x7 damage, and a 2.0x scope. A two round high damage revolver which seems to always apply a low level elemental (electricity) effect on whatever it hits, with a high enough accuracy to make it an awesome weapon to fire from the hip. A rocket launcher with a small scope which with every hit inflicts massive amounts of fire damage over time. And my fourth slot is usually devoted to whatever cool gun I've found. Currently a Double Anarchy.

If the random generator suddenly switched out my shotgun, revolver, and rocket launcher for random similarly leveled weapons, my playstyle would be drastically different.

Agreed. I'm a fair bit earlier in the game, but even early on the weapons feel unique. I'm wielding a sniper rifle with an incredible scope, firing speed and stability, so I can pump 3 rounds in before most enemies can even turn to shoot. I also have a fast-firing scoped repeater pistol with a blade on the front of it, which can mow down almost anything in about a second from close to mid range.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-31, 02:39 PM
My sniper has a 1.0x zoom.

My shotgun has a 4x zoom.

I am laughing. :smalltongue:

Stormthorn
2009-10-31, 09:07 PM
My sniper has a 1.0x zoom.

My shotgun has a 4x zoom.

I am laughing. :smalltongue:

Yea. Right now my sniper rifle has less accuracy and a faster rof than my revolver. It also holds more rounds.

Cheesegear
2009-10-31, 09:45 PM
Is there an easier way to kill Alpha Skags? Stupid armour plated bastards.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-11-01, 12:26 AM
Their back has less armor, try and hit them there.

Or acid.

Anung Un Rama
2009-11-01, 07:45 AM
Hey I was just wondering if anyone else got different Eridian weapons to me? I only ever got four; wave blaster, something lightning, thunder storm (which is awesome-used it till the end) and the 0101110 cannon.

Stormthorn
2009-11-01, 11:13 AM
Hey I was just wondering if anyone else got different Eridian weapons to me? I only ever got four; wave blaster, something lightning, thunder storm (which is awesome-used it till the end) and the 0101110 cannon.

I have an alien sniper rifle.
The scope sucks but its ungodly accurate.
I carry it in case i run out of ammo for my Liquid sniper.

Joran
2009-11-02, 10:41 AM
So, there's a bunch of annoying hacks that you need to do to get Borderlands working the way it should be on a PC.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=83080

Here's a fix for the "guns only display 4 lines of stats" bug.

There's also a few workarounds for skipping the opening cinematics, setting the POV to the standard 90 degrees, and for turning off your mic in online play (yes, there is no menu option for this in the PC version =P)

Ranis
2009-11-02, 11:58 AM
Has anyone found any Pearlescent weapons (the grade higher than dark orange)? If so, where did you find them?

Has anyone found any Eridian weapons that were higher grade than green?

Raroy
2009-11-02, 12:07 PM
I am really hating the Dhal something. It's the area after the starting place? You get there around level twenty. It's way too vehical intensive. I remeber this one mission where you have to kill bandits in their vehicals. I died four times. I have never died more then once in a mission before. And Considering I need to drive the crap moblile for even more missions, it makes me not want to play this game for a while. Anyone else frustrated by this?

Breltar
2009-11-02, 12:35 PM
I am really hating the Dhal something. It's the area after the starting place? You get there around level twenty. It's way too vehical intensive. I remeber this one mission where you have to kill bandits in their vehicals. I died four times. I have never died more then once in a mission before. And Considering I need to drive the crap moblile for even more missions, it makes me not want to play this game for a while. Anyone else frustrated by this?

That one area is the most vehicle intensive i've run across so far, you don't use the car as much later from what I have seen so far.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-11-02, 12:39 PM
Has anyone found any Pearlescent weapons (the grade higher than dark orange)? If so, where did you find them?

From what I've heard, pearl weapons are actually not supposed to be.... existing. They are just white weapons with Red Text which the game accidentally places at the top of the list, or something.

Ranis
2009-11-02, 12:52 PM
From what I've heard, pearl weapons are actually not supposed to be.... existing. They are just white weapons with Red Text which the game accidentally places at the top of the list, or something.

Oh, really? Lame. Well, some of the best weapons I've ever found were white, so maybe that's not all that bad. Someone on the gearbox forums posted a picture of a pearlescent weapon in a vending machine being sold for 7 MILLION.

Folytopo
2009-11-02, 01:27 PM
So what is the latency like on the gamespy servers? Also do they have push to talk now or planned in the future? Another inquiry, is lan available?

Joran
2009-11-02, 02:10 PM
So what is the latency like on the gamespy servers? Also do they have push to talk now or planned in the future? Another inquiry, is lan available?

Well, as far as I know, one player hosts the game, so it depends on your geographic location and how good your Internet is. I would hope push to talk is planned, but my friends currently disabled voice chat (which you have to do via a text file) and just use Steam chat which has push to talk capability.

Yes, LAN is available, I believe, though I haven't tried it.

Nano
2009-11-02, 02:12 PM
So. I found a sniper rifle. Dark orange. Sixteen round clip. 400-ish damage. 4x lightning tech. And, when a bullet hits a surface? It splits into three or four and they all ricochet off. It's fun to kill things by aiming at the ground in front of them.

NeoVid
2009-11-02, 04:14 PM
So, I tried Borderlands and couldn't tear myself away from the game after trying 4 player co-op and taking on Skagzilla with my team. I also happened to run across a green pistol in the second debris pile I looked at when starting the game that turned out to be better than Lady Finger or the Clipper, which I kept using for ten levels.

But, as insanely fun as online play is, I ended up with a few major questions...

Is there a way to set looting privileges? Purple weapons tended to disappear faster than I could turn to look at them.

How to use voice communication? Other people had voice they couldn't turn off, but I couldn't talk at all.

...And there was a third important question I had, but I can't think of it now.

Ranis
2009-11-02, 04:41 PM
So, I tried Borderlands and couldn't tear myself away from the game after trying 4 player co-op and taking on Skagzilla with my team. I also happened to run across a green pistol in the second debris pile I looked at when starting the game that turned out to be better than Lady Finger or the Clipper, which I kept using for ten levels.

But, as insanely fun as online play is, I ended up with a few major questions...

Is there a way to set looting privileges? Purple weapons tended to disappear faster than I could turn to look at them.

How to use voice communication? Other people had voice they couldn't turn off, but I couldn't talk at all.

...And there was a third important question I had, but I can't think of it now.

It's assumed that you share the loot between all people. For me on the 360, this hasn't been a big deal at all due to me playing with friends of friends and my own social circle, so when someone needs an upgrade, a weapon shuffle happens and everything is kosher. But with random people online, I can see this being a problem.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-11-02, 04:46 PM
Yeah this game is meant to be played with friends.

Folytopo
2009-11-02, 04:57 PM
How many players do you need to have an optimal game? Is 2 enough for a fun game?

edit: PC or 360?

Stormthorn
2009-11-02, 09:17 PM
How many players do you need to have an optimal game? Is 2 enough for a fun game?

edit: PC or 360?

I did almost my entire first playthrough solo.

And im up to killing Sledge in my second playthrough, all solo.

Has anyone found any Eridian weapons that were higher grade than green?
I found one, and only one, of the white weapons.
The problem with the idea that the game missplaces the order is that green weapons with special quotes are still in the right place, and that those quote effects would probably push the weapons quality out of the white range.

Archangel Yuki
2009-11-02, 11:37 PM
So Nano, Scorpionica and I all started new characters together. We just killed Sledge, if anyone wants to join us. It is quite possibly some of the most fun I have.
"You got stuck AGAIN?!"
"I guess im destined to walk."
"You deserve to walk. You're the worst driver ever."
"Hey, race you back to town." *Phase Walks*

Twin2
2009-11-03, 12:06 AM
Oh the joys of hunting guns. Just grabbed a corrosive rocket launcher with 500% rate of fire. Please excuse me while I go enjoy a malicious laugh.

Stormthorn
2009-11-03, 01:22 AM
My current sniper set up i deal around 9500 damage with crits on even leveled enemies.
I have like a +270% damage bonus to crits with sniper rifles.

Anyone know what the damage calculation for crits normaly us?

Archangel Yuki
2009-11-03, 04:33 PM
Found my first orange today, Corossive Revolver :D :D :D
Is there a list of what the names in the effect descriptions adds?

NeoVid
2009-11-03, 04:35 PM
borderlands.wikia.com has most of the red text figured out by now.

Celesyne
2009-11-03, 05:04 PM
My only complaint so far is how difficult it is to get a gun worth a crap. My main character is a level 33 Siren who just passed the Old haven part of the story. I'm currently using a Double Anarchy SMG that is good, but still a little low on damage. Two 2 shot high damage revolvers 1 no element 1 fire and scoped. And a 3rd lower damage revolver with regenerating ammo.

Now, I do ok, and manage, but when it take 3-5 shots from a fire element revolver with 285ish damage to kill 1 Crimson Lance guard its a bit much. I know it's all luck, but I can't find a gun that is worth a damn, whereas a friend of mine playin Mordecai and only level 27 has guns that are 10 times better than mine and finds good stuff on a regular basis.

So, I ask you folks who are of a decent level, where do I go to farm some guns that can actually hurt these farkers?

Myatar_Panwar
2009-11-03, 05:26 PM
Want a tip for getting good items? There are like 5 decent leveled chests in New Haven.

Yes, FIVE.

Celesyne
2009-11-03, 05:30 PM
I know theres the red one on the roof next to scooters, the white above the building next to the weapon shop, another white in the little hole in the wall next to the bounty board, and another white near the rust ...east i think port near some raiders, but I'm not sure on the 5th.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-11-03, 06:26 PM
Now, I do ok, and manage, but when it take 3-5 shots from a fire element revolver with 285ish damage to kill 1 Crimson Lance guard

Crimson Lance dudes have pretty considerable armour. Use corrosive weapons instead.

Stormthorn
2009-11-03, 09:31 PM
Want a tip for getting good items? There are like 5 decent leveled chests in New Haven.

Yes, FIVE.

Six. One like 20 seconds away outside on a little mound of junk. I run out, grab stuff, and run back and no enemies are the wiser.
Unless i want to kill them that is.

One ont he building next to scooters. One just outside the town off behind that building on a pile of junk (it has a little shade structure over it), one on the building between the town hall sorta place and the gun seller. One off past the bounty board that you have to crouch to get into since it has fences all around, one off to the left of that on a buildings balcony that requires some jumping, and one on the balcony around the corner form it that requires you walk two buildings away and use wood ramps between the roofs.

And man do i wish i had a corrosive sniper. My skill tree's let my ignore shields and do insane crit damage, but those Badass lancers are immune to bullets on 98% of their body.

Interestingly enough, ignoring shields lets me pwn guardians which would otherwise be murder on a sniper type (they teleport, but have very low health behind their shields)

NeoVid
2009-11-03, 11:19 PM
One ont he building next to scooters. One just outside the town off behind that building on a pile of junk (it has a little shade structure over it), one on the building between the town hall sorta place and the gun seller. One off past the bounty board that you have to crouch to get into since it has fences all around, one off to the left of that on a buildings balcony that requires some jumping, and one on the balcony around the corner form it that requires you walk two buildings away and use wood ramps between the roofs.

Don't forget the one Claptrap leads you to after you repair him.

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-04, 06:04 AM
I just finished my first solo run as a Controller Siren(I figured it'd be easiest due to regen/running away) and I gotta ask...

Was anyone else as disappointed with the ending as I was? Sure, it was an awesome and frantic final battle... But when the smoke cleared I didn't feel like I accomplished anything.

Breltar
2009-11-04, 01:13 PM
Check around on the net too, if you have the PC version it only shows the first five lines of description in the weapon descriptions so if you activate the whole description in the .init file then you get a description of all the weapon characteristics.

I found this out after experimenting with two seeming similar revolvers to only have one do a lot more damage on critical hits. Seems there was a fifth line of text that said it had 150% more crit damage....:smalleek:

Nano
2009-11-04, 01:16 PM
I just finished my first solo run as a Controller Siren(I figured it'd be easiest due to regen/running away) and I gotta ask...

Was anyone else as disappointed with the ending as I was? Sure, it was an awesome and frantic final battle... But when the smoke cleared I didn't feel like I accomplished anything.

I was also really dissapointed. Not just in the ending, but the boss battle - it was anything but frantic, for me.

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-04, 01:36 PM
I was also really dissapointed. Not just in the ending, but the boss battle - it was anything but frantic, for me.

Well I didn't do a lot of hiding.

Anung Un Rama
2009-11-04, 03:21 PM
I know! it took about 10 shots from my 10 thunder storm and it died-and all i had to do was move from side to side to avoid its attacks. Disappointing.

Also yeah for the first half of eridian promontory i was wondering why the hell the gaurdians were going down so easy but then i realised i had the shield penetration chance at 100% :D

I havent really had that many zany gun upgrades though-mostly i just got higher damage or clip size etc. no multi-ricocheting bullets for me :(

Celesyne
2009-11-04, 05:46 PM
wait, theres a way to make more of the text appear on the weapons? please enlighten me...

Breltar
2009-11-04, 06:32 PM
wait, theres a way to make more of the text appear on the weapons? please enlighten me...

Check this post at the gearbox website forums.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=1626085&postcount=258

Most of the lower end and white weapons don't have that many lines of text anyway, but the higher end weapons tend to have 6 or more lines of text, especially in the higher levels.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-11-04, 08:23 PM
I don't suppose anybody has a map with the locations of the red/white chests in New Haven? All that text is fine, but it doesn't really tell you where everything is.

Stormthorn
2009-11-05, 01:53 AM
I know! it took about 10 shots from my 10 thunder storm and it died-and all i had to do was move from side to side to avoid its attacks. Disappointing.

Also yeah for the first half of eridian promontory i was wondering why the hell the gaurdians were going down so easy but then i realised i had the shield penetration chance at 100% :D

I havent really had that many zany gun upgrades though-mostly i just got higher damage or clip size etc. no multi-ricocheting bullets for me :(

Huh. He took me a few hundred smg rounds, a few dozen rockets, and about 20 or 30 rounds form my liquid sniper, plus six grenades. I was only level 36, and if i over-leveled before the fight im sure it would be easier.

On the other hand, my hunter build also found guardians insanly easy.

Joran
2009-11-05, 12:37 PM
So, I've gotten two four hour sessions through with a full co-op game. The funniest parts are always when we're driving. We always have the worst drivers actually driving and our parking jobs are atrocious. One car always ends up on top of the other.

One time, one driver left his partner behind, so we "pushed" him on our bumper all the way to Firestone. I was laughing so hard when it worked.

Atreides
2009-11-05, 06:37 PM
I had my doubts about this game as soon as Gearbox stated that there would be no loot/trade system, stating that "running to get the loot would be half the fun." Clearly the words from someone who has never played a game where the loot meant the difference between character progression and "hold on folks while I find another game to grind for an hour to down the boss again." Yes, I'm sure everyone who ISN'T a Hunter is just coveting over sniper rifles and revolvers.

Of course the "plus" to that bit is that you can take your character from online to offline at free will, so you can still find what ever loot you wish--except that once you kill a boss he can't be killed again unless you join a game with someone hosting it who hasn't killed said boss yet. Your only help then is for the second playthrough, and by then the random drops actually start to become pretty good because the game throws more Rare enemies--sorry, "badass" enemies--at you. I'm not complaining though.

Well, yes, actually I am. The game's story is disappointing enough. And I certainly thought there was going to be more variety in the game as well, but that all sort of falls flat on its face with the color palette of sand. Not to mention that each area is actually quite small and there's only one town in the entire game--a town that has only three interactive NPCs. I mean, when it was introducing the characters, I thought there'd be more to them other than, "accept quest, kill x, turn in." This may as well be an FPS in RPG's clothing. At this point I think we can officially confirm that including levels and experience does NOT make a game an RPG.

I really missed the pre-production talk about armor as well. So close to being a Diablo FPS and yet so far. Oh well. At least collecting cool weapons is decently fun.

NeoVid
2009-11-06, 04:41 AM
I don't suppose anybody has a map with the locations of the red/white chests in New Haven? All that text is fine, but it doesn't really tell you where everything is.

Everything you need to find in New Haven, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4T33jPnI0M) including the secret shop and elevator.

Joran
2009-11-06, 11:03 AM
borderlands.wikia.com has most of the red text figured out by now.

The red text was cute for a little bit, but now I have 10 weapons with red text and orange/yellow weapons have started to fall from the skies. I'm having a really hard time trying to evaluate my weapons now and the red text isn't helping.

It'd be nice to know what "Drop the Hammer" means, so I can figure out if the 50*7 + 2 explosive shotgun is better than the 60*12 shotgun.

Stormthorn
2009-11-06, 01:26 PM
The red text was cute for a little bit, but now I have 10 weapons with red text and orange/yellow weapons have started to fall from the skies. I'm having a really hard time trying to evaluate my weapons now and the red text isn't helping.

It'd be nice to know what "Drop the Hammer" means, so I can figure out if the 50*7 + 2 explosive shotgun is better than the 60*12 shotgun.

Drop the hammer seems to amke your shotgun spread take hammer shape.
Their is also one that makes a smily face shape.
Which is more useful from a practical standpoint.

NeoVid
2009-11-06, 01:31 PM

Just about all the rare weapons will have red text. Also, knowing exactly what a high level rare weapon does takes a hack, since guns can have up to six lines of abilities, but the game can only show you four.

Anyway:

Drop the Hammer!, Vladof Hammer: Spread pattern is in the shape of a hammer. May take unloading an entire magazine to see the effect. (Possible reference to the 'Gears of War' Trilogy of games where the 'Hammer' is a satellite laser cannon, and the characters shout 'Drop the Hammer!' when it is in use.)Also star crafts siege tanks "I'm about to drop the hammer and dispense some indiscriminate justice".

Joran
2009-11-06, 01:37 PM
Just about all the rare weapons will have red text. Also, knowing exactly what a high level rare weapon does takes a hack, since guns can have up to six lines of abilities, but the game can only show you four.

Right, I read the Wiki and changed the item display properties so I can see all the lines, but it still doesn't help me.

How much damage does *2 explosion do? I'm noticing about the same amount of damage between my yellow gun (the Drop the Hammer) and my green gun (the 60*12 with nothing special), but I'd like more information.

For example, my sniper rifle with "Thwack" did say specifically that it did 200% crit damage, rather than 150%.

NeoVid
2009-11-06, 01:52 PM
Explosion works differently from all the other elements. When it goes off, it does the damage of the normal hit as well as a secondary hit that does the damage of the normal hit times the explosion effect multiplier.

Kaldrin
2009-11-08, 07:05 PM
Don't worry about preferred weapons. It doesn't show up anywhere but the character select screen. And its just there to say "Hey you like shooting people with this kind of gun? Well this character has a lot of skills focused in it!" Seriously don't worry about it.

The word on the street is that your skill levels faster with your preferred type of weapon... otherwise there's no significant bonuses. Case in point: Even though I use assault rifles and rocket launchers about 60/40 respectively, my rocket launcher is 4 (almost 5) and my assault rifle is 3. Too much of a difference to be bad math on the devs' part.

Razaele
2009-11-09, 11:41 AM
Been playing this for a while and I must say, I'm having a pretty good time! I'd like to ask though, how do elements work? I'm playing as Mordecai and I've tried out some of the elemental weapons/artifacts out there and it seems like my damage goes down instead of up. Am I missing something here? I mean, I'm aware that elemental weapons grant added effects such as an incendiary weapon having a chance of setting your target on fire, thus dealing extra fire damage. But then, the little damage that the fire does doesn't seem to make up for the damage that I lose when I switch to elemental weapons. Someone please explain! :smallfrown:

Anung Un Rama
2009-11-09, 12:04 PM
Shock; very good against shields+some DoT
Incendiary; good against unarmoured/unshielded foes+good DoT
Blast; explained above, but multiplies the damage of the shot by the rating of blast
Corrosive; Great against armour (crimson lance) good DoT and add extra damage for subsequent hits

At first, i thought the same and looked for straight damage, but as you get to higher levels and especially on your second playthrough, the elemental effects are invaluable against certain enemies.

E.g. I have a masher revolver which does around 160x7 which, against heavily armoured enemies is next to useless despite the high damage, whereas when i pull out the madjack (oh yeah i love this gun) despite its difficulty to aim takes them out very quickly and its damage is only about 400 but its so effective because it has an explosive rating of 3 or 4 (plus, hilarious fire rate)

Archangel Yuki
2009-11-09, 12:28 PM
Been playing this for a while and I must say, I'm having a pretty good time! I'd like to ask though, how do elements work? I'm playing as Mordecai and I've tried out some of the elemental weapons/artifacts out there and it seems like my damage goes down instead of up. Am I missing something here? I mean, I'm aware that elemental weapons grant added effects such as an incendiary weapon having a chance of setting your target on fire, thus dealing extra fire damage. But then, the little damage that the fire does doesn't seem to make up for the damage that I lose when I switch to elemental weapons. Someone please explain! :smallfrown:

Depends on the spec your using and the weapons. Each seperate weapon type has a different way of using the elemental effets, and the elemental effects can be better or worse depending on the type. Your not getting the same corossive effect on a machine pistol that you would be getting on a low speed revolver, for example.

EDIT: Weapon Effects
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=76822

Archangel Yuki
2009-11-09, 05:01 PM
Does anyone want to do some multiplayer? Maybe start some new characters?
I'm Yocham on Gamespy. I'd love to do some stuff, expecially if anyone has any endgame characters. I have a 49 almost 50 Hunter :P

Stormthorn
2009-11-10, 12:51 AM
except that once you kill a boss he can't be killed again unless you join a game with someone hosting it who hasn't killed said boss yet

Or you could just load your own game multiple times.

I found out something interesting. Drops are cyclical.
I had had a long spell for my Hunter in which no sniper rifles dropped. Then i loaded up the game and the 6 chests in and around New Haven dropped 9 snipers.
I ran around the world like crazy and opened about a dozen more, finding snipers in about 70% of them. Then the game gave me the "Shop Inventory Changed" message and the next three chests contained mods and pistols instead.
The sniper rifle bonanza had passed.
Sad thing was, I only found one really good sniper rifle, and it didnt have +Critical Damage effect, which is a core element of my character.

13_CBS
2009-11-11, 04:19 PM
I was watching a Let's Play of Borderlands just now, and I only just noticed some of the music.

They have Mongolian Throat Singing.

Mongolian Throat Singing. In a video game.

WHAT

(Note: I really love traditional Mongolian music, including throat singing. But...a popular video game is THE LAST PLACE I ever expected to hear it. My brain nearly exploded when I realized this.)

Shas aia Toriia
2009-11-11, 05:02 PM
Another question.
Say I have a gun that deals 150 damage. It also has a line of text saying it does +50% damage.
Does my gun do 225 damage, or 150 (with a base stat of 100 that has already been modified)?

Archangel Yuki
2009-11-11, 08:09 PM
So can we get a post going with all the Gamespy IDs for the computer players? I would love some people to play with D:

Stormthorn
2009-11-11, 11:53 PM
Another question.
Say I have a gun that deals 150 damage. It also has a line of text saying it does +50% damage.
Does my gun do 225 damage, or 150 (with a base stat of 100 that has already been modified)?

I believe your guns listed damage is its modified damage, with the +50% included, although knowing the type of weapon and lavel will help me determine if 150 sounds like properly increased damage.

I found, near the end of my second playthrough, a Jakobs shotgun sniper rifle. The rifle fires a shotgun spread.

Anung Un Rama
2009-11-12, 10:47 AM
Does anyone else love the madjack revolver? i know its a little unreliable but its so effective at really close range.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-12, 04:40 PM
Does anyone else love the madjack revolver? i know its a little unreliable but its so effective at really close range.

Yeah. It's probably my favorite pistol aside from the Invader, which has a 12 shot (!!) bust when it's zoomed.

What else do people like overall? I'd say the Boom Stick, when I play roland, and the Chimera when I play Lilith.

Though on second though, I think the Chimera was a pistol, and the Invader was a sniper.

Joran
2009-11-12, 04:47 PM
Yeah. It's probably my favorite pistol aside from the Invader, which has a 12 shot (!!) bust when it's zoomed.

What else do people like overall? I'd say the Boom Stick, when I play roland, and the Chimera when I play Lilith.

Though on second though, I think the Chimera was a pistol, and the Invader was a sniper.

Tek3 Combustion Hellfire: 4*Fire, "We don't need no water..." red text. It's a SMG with 74 accuracy and a 36 clip.

Pretty much sets anything on fire, so I can sit back and relax while they burn.

I'm looking for a good combat rifle so I can start using the talents + mods from Roland, but I'm pretty fine with just setting up my sentry gun to murder people.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-11-12, 05:37 PM
Right now my Brick has a 3 round clip (which is increased to 8 with talents) Rocket Launcher which fires all 3 rockets at once. x4 Fire damage, and 980 base. With my super fast launcher reload speed, my friends x17 ammo regen class-mod, and my kill-activated +60% fire rate/+50% damage, I am death.

NeoVid
2009-11-12, 11:29 PM
I just started using my first orange weapon, a Volcanic Sniper. It's just as insane as everyone says. The lousy zoom is not a big deal, as it two-shots Badass Bruisers with body shots.

Most of the orange weapons I've seen were pretty weak, and the rest of my loadout is green with one purple revolver.

Burley
2009-11-13, 09:04 AM
I got it last night. Played it a bit in Co-Op. I beat Nine Toes, but the screen was squished, so, I'm gonna start over.

Theodoric
2009-11-13, 12:30 PM
I was watching a Let's Play of Borderlands just now, and I only just noticed some of the music.

They have Mongolian Throat Singing.

Mongolian Throat Singing. In a video game.
Yeah, noticed it too. Great to see another person who appreciates it.
It's also used, qite prominently, in Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.:smallwink:

Breltar
2009-11-13, 01:48 PM
Magazines guys, not clips....

I am enjoying a caustic shotgun against all these crimson lance retards. :smallsmile:

Shas aia Toriia
2009-11-13, 03:21 PM
Some weapons do use clips, not magasines.

So, question for you guys on which weapon is better. I'm just gotten to the Crimson Lance Enclave, playthrough 1, playing a sniper styled Mordecai.

Gun 1:
425 Power
96.5 Accuracy
0.5 RoF
10x Zoom

Gun 2:
255 Power
96.5 accuracy
1.8 RoF
26x Zoom
2x Fire Tech

warty goblin
2009-11-13, 04:11 PM
Magazines guys, not clips....

I am enjoying a caustic shotgun against all these crimson lance retards. :smallsmile:

Insofar as I know, the set of guns with actual clips is limited to:
1) The M1 Garand.
2) My Dad's shotgun, which is bolt action and has an internal two-round clip. Only bolt action 20ga. I've ever seen or heard of. He's also got a .22 semiauto with internal tube magazine.

Joran
2009-11-17, 10:07 AM
So, I wish there was more content. I just finished my second playthrough, got more than enough weapons to equip a private army, and there's nothing to do anymore.

I can go someplace and shoot up skags as target practice, but without a plot to give me a reason to do so, no matter how paper thin, I don't particularly feel like playing the game anymore.

I guess I could play as another character, but there's no diverging plotline, so no real point.

Gullara
2009-11-17, 12:02 PM
This game is pure win. Over the past few days I, along with my brother, have played hours of Borderlands and we are not board yet.

Twin2
2009-11-24, 03:25 PM
Well the new content the island of dr. ned is out, and having gone through it must say it is hilarious. New enemies, some twists on old ones, new places, and a god damn amazing ending to it were worth picking it up. God bless my new hyperion shotgun with 500% burst fire, and 3.0% zoom. Nothing like headshots on zombies from far away with a shotgun.

Joran
2009-11-24, 03:32 PM
Well the new content the island of dr. ned is out, and having gone through it must say it is hilarious. New enemies, some twists on old ones, new places, and a god damn amazing ending to it were worth picking it up. God bless my new hyperion shotgun with 500% burst fire, and 3.0% zoom. Nothing like headshots on zombies from far away with a shotgun.

And another screw-job for the people on the PC. It's only available on the consoles =P

Hey, Gearbox, I have $10 I want to give you, just give me the content.

Twin2
2009-11-24, 03:38 PM
And another screw-job for the people on the PC. It's only available on the consoles =P

Hey, Gearbox, I have $10 I want to give you, just give me the content.

Maybe it will be a lump addition to the pc as there are a few more dlc coming down the line apparently.

Pie Guy
2009-11-26, 08:38 PM
Well, I just had an encounter with a modded gun. Is it just me, or do these make the game boring?

Same game, brought in a level one soldier, brought out a level 27.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-11-26, 08:40 PM
Yeah, its an easy way to powerlevel some guys. Throw a level 1 character into a level 40 or so game. You gain levels like nobody's business.

Eldariel
2009-11-26, 09:15 PM
Me and my friends just finished our first playthrough until my monitor denounced our contract. I'm playing Siren, my friends are Soldier and Hunter (though other started as Berserker; he started a Hunter and caught up with us).

Biggest complaint thus far: The quest level progression is too slow. We were 3-4 levels higher than the average quest by New Haven and even the hardest quests we could find were barely level appropriate, and all this from just completing all the quests and few achievements; we didn't do any level grinding, killed every bunch of enemies only once and so on.

And now we're like 4-6 levels above what we should be in Playthrough 2 and things are ridiculously easy; though at least the Skags are dangerous now. Bleh, I wish it were possible to delevel the characters or something. Worst part is how the level-system is designed for damage; the fact that the changes are percentual mean even small level differences have a huge impact. I can pretty much stand in front of a bandit camp now and shoot them all in the head while they unload their guns at me and I've barely lost my shields when I'm done. And this is with 3-player difficult opponents, mind.

Bleh. At least some bosses are pretty hard if you don't play smart. I've made it a point to not play smart since that would remove the last ditches of challenge.

Spoilers-containing boss rant:
I was especially disappointed with the Destroyer. WTF?! The only challenge that thing gave us was running out of bullets 'cause of the shopless Guardian Killing Spree we had to go through to get here. It never really did anything and clocking it for ~6000 in the eye with a sniper is ridic. easy and with a decent RoF, it's down in no time. SMG woulda been even faster, but unfortunately I didn't have bullets. Shoulda just Phasewalked through the Guardian area I guess, but I wanna get Dominant Species eventually.

Then there's like...Master McCloud who cannot hit you, the stupid Roid Rage Psycho who doesn't really do much and Sledge who just...well, he doesn't hit a barn door if he were inside. Nine Toes was a decent challenge, Marley & Moe were a bit too easy with "run circles around 'em"-level tactics and Scar was just yawn. Skagzilla had lots of HP but that's about it. And then there's King Wee Wee and One-Eyed Jack and lots of awesome, but ****ty-in-combat folk.

The only challenging boss fights I've run into in the game are Mothrakk (though it's very easy to do that the easy way; I used Sledge's Shotgun since I didn't really have suitable weapons and it's so big that even that hits rather well, which enabled rather fast damage) and Mad Mel (who we tried our best to kill in a car...and failed).

Actually, the toughest fight in the game I ever had was when I went to Crystal Caves on level 13 (it's a level 15 adventure) and ran into two Badass Bruisers with Rocket Launchers. I didn't get through that one; then they were replaced by something mellow like Badass Psychos or Skags when I came back on an appropriate level and I was pissed 'cause I really wanted to defeat my nemesis.
Bleh. I guess I'll gather myself and we'll finish it two more times and then start the item rally. On a positive side, the last playthrough should be relatively challenging since it's planned for level 50 and the game is level-capped so...yeah. But until then...

@Shas: For your guns, I'd definitely go with the first one unless the second one has vastly larger clip. With crit weapons, you wanna aim for the head anyways and as that takes a while, you can't really advantage of the higher rate of fire too often, and they one-shot kill most enemies anyways. And honestly, 420 damage is a lot.

Folytopo
2009-11-26, 09:19 PM
So it has an ending that is not awful now? Cool.

Also does it have anything good and satisfying farming areas or good drops?

Eldariel
2009-11-26, 09:27 PM
So it has an ending that is not awful now? Cool.

Really depends on what you like :smalltongue:

Also does it have anything good and satisfying farming areas or good drops?

What's this "farming" you speak of? 'cause if you speak of XP farming, you'll never need to given you get to level 50 by just finishing the game twice or so. This isn't Diablo II where you take an eternity to max your levels.

Shops have pretty good selection; once in a while you can find stuff actually worth buying. Easiest place to get new stuff, I've found, is New Haven where you can access 4 crates without fighting very quickly and sell trash, load and do it again (although only two of them can carry actual good stuff).

Other places with New-Us tend to have far lower concentration of crates and often the good ones are in Bandit encampments or similars.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-11-26, 09:42 PM
Really depends on what you like :smalltongue:
Easiest place to get new stuff, I've found, is New Haven where you can access 4 crates without fighting very quickly and sell trash, load and do it again (although only two of them can carry actual good stuff).

New Haven has 8 crates, 6 excluding the secret basement.

Eldariel
2009-11-26, 09:45 PM
New Haven has 8 crates, 6 excluding the secret basement.

Ah, I'm only talking about the city area around the New-U. You can make a quick round to the back roof, then Scooter's roof, then run scross and pick up the two more crates. I've found that's the quickest round you can do, when accounting for load times and restarts. At least the quickest I'm able.

I don't think the basement stays open later on anyways.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-11-26, 09:46 PM
The two by the back roof, then the one you get for saving claptrap, then the one by the satellite, then the one on top of Scooter's building, then the one by the scythid, then the two in the secret basement.

8 total.

Eldariel
2009-11-26, 09:50 PM
The two by the back roof, then the one you get for saving claptrap, then the one by the satellite, then the one on top of Scooter's building, then the one by the scythid, then the two in the secret basement.

8 total.

Yeah, but the Scythid one I didn't count since it's in the bandit camp and thus not efficient IMHO, and I'm not sure but I don't think the Claptrap crate is accessible multiple times; I've never tried it beyond when I first opened it, but... And yeah, the secret basement is only open during that one quest. Which one was it again? Another piece of the puzzle or something?

Shas aia Toriia
2009-11-26, 10:01 PM
Yeah, but the Scythid one I didn't count since it's in the bandit camp and thus not efficient IMHO, and I'm not sure but I don't think the Claptrap crate is accessible multiple times; I've never tried it beyond when I first opened it, but... And yeah, the secret basement is only open during that one quest. Which one was it again? Another piece of the puzzle or something?

You can open the claptrap one as many times as you want. Also, the scythid one is near the scythid, not the bandits. After you get the scooter one, its literally a 4 second sprint to get over there.
Also, yeah, the basement is only availiable during your quest to kill the Rakk Hive.

Eldariel
2009-11-26, 10:03 PM
Hmm, I didn't know that. I guess that adds a bit to the grinding then! By the way, the Claptrap one, is it a big (red) crate or one of the worse (white) crates? I can't, for the life of me, remember and my character is still in Fyrestone on the second playthrough so it'll be a while 'til I get there to check (well, I suppose I could go back to Playthrough 1 but bleh...).

Shas aia Toriia
2009-11-26, 10:08 PM
Its a white one.

Eldariel
2009-11-26, 10:12 PM
Its a white one.

Aww... So only two red ones and the ones in the basement, then. Meh. Well, the white ones give nice sellables still, if rarely usables. Safehouse Claptrap gave 2 red ones, I recall. Would be nice if the New Haven-one were similar.

Stormthorn
2009-11-27, 09:05 PM
Aww... So only two red ones and the ones in the basement, then. Meh. Well, the white ones give nice sellables still, if rarely usables. Safehouse Claptrap gave 2 red ones, I recall. Would be nice if the New Haven-one were similar.

I prefer white crates since they can hold...say...4 revolvers.

And i dont usualy benefit form the ammo in the red crates, which is really all they have going for them.

Eldariel
2009-11-27, 10:09 PM
I prefer white crates since they can hold...say...4 revolvers.

And i dont usualy benefit form the ammo in the red crates, which is really all they have going for them.

Really? Red crates can hold 4 items often too :o The difference is that the stuff from red crates tends to be of 5-7 levels higher level than the stuff in the white crates in equivalent level places. Like in the New Haven on 1st playthrough, the white crates usually had 11-18 stuff while the red crates usually had 19-25 stuff.

Stormthorn
2009-11-27, 10:46 PM
Really? Red crates can hold 4 items often too :o The difference is that the stuff from red crates tends to be of 5-7 levels higher level than the stuff in the white crates in equivalent level places. Like in the New Haven on 1st playthrough, the white crates usually had 11-18 stuff while the red crates usually had 19-25 stuff.

I cant remember seeing a 4 gun red.

But for me, level doesnt matter as much. Most everyhting i find is level 48. In fact, i dont think the vendors will offer me stuff below 48.

Eldariel
2009-11-27, 10:51 PM
I cant remember seeing a 4 gun red.

But for me, level doesnt matter as much. Most everyhting i find is level 48. In fact, i dont think the vendors will offer me stuff below 48.

Ah, if you're on third playthrough it's different. Then I get you. But I've had plenty of 4 gun reds, other 4 item ones (like a bunch of class/grenade mods or some such), so I can assure that 4 gun reds do exist.

I always facepalm when I find those tho since I use SMGs & Snipers as my primary weapons so they're of no use to me. Though now we have Hunter in our party so the good ones can actually be useful.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-11-28, 08:26 PM
Just a little question here: how many quests are there after you beat the last boss?

Spoilers: After opening the vault and destroying the destroyer, I went to Tannis, took my money, went to playthrough 2 and never looked back. Now though, I went into my playthrough 1 account and saw that I had uncompleted missions.

Note that I had completed all missions before moving on to my second playthrough.

Eldariel
2009-11-28, 09:02 PM
Just a little question here: how many quests are there after you beat the last boss?

Spoilers: After opening the vault and destroying the destroyer, I went to Tannis, took my money, went to playthrough 2 and never looked back. Now though, I went into my playthrough 1 account and saw that I had uncompleted missions.

Note that I had completed all missions before moving on to my second playthrough.

Hmm, where exactly did you find her after returning the final quest? I went back and didn't get any uncompleted missions now that I checked Playthrough 1 midway through Playthrough 2; and we completed no missions after returning the key to Tannis. To my knowledge, there are still 0, but I could be wrong...

Gamerlord
2009-12-04, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, thinking about getting this game, can a ATI radeon x600 run it?

BizzaroStormy
2009-12-05, 09:00 PM

I was a big fan of the Tediore Guardian on my soldier from mid PT1 to mid PT2, but thats when I found a green Dahl cobra which had roughly 2.5x the damage of the guardian.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-12-06, 09:48 AM
Tediore Equaliser. A two-shot magazine, but the damage wasn't equalled or surpassed for like eighteen levels. Plus regenerating ammunition.

Keris
2009-12-07, 01:28 AM
Hey guys, thinking about getting this game, can a ATI radeon x600 run it?

It apparently requires an ATI Radeon HD3000 series or higher, and I have no idea what that means here. I advise checking on Can You Run It? (CanYouRunIt.com).

Having picked up Borderlands during Steam's recent sales, then played for around 8 hours straight and coerced a couple of friends into picking up as well, I finished my first playthough today as a Hunter, with a playtime so far of almost 50 hours (around 15 of that was multiplayer with the aforementioned friends, once we found a workaround to GameSpy's nonsense). Ending and associated rewards was somewhat dissapointing, but I'm looking forwards to playthrough 2 and the tougher fights that entails.

Plus regenerating ammunition.
Ammo regen = ♥. Although I've been trying out a Masher recently, because it finally surpassed my Equaliser in damage output, and there's a lot of ammo lying around anyway.

factotum
2009-12-07, 02:33 AM
Tediore Equaliser. A two-shot magazine, but the damage wasn't equalled or surpassed for like eighteen levels. Plus regenerating ammunition.

Yeah, I was about level 45 before I found anything better (a Dahl scoped revolver with around 2.5x the damage of the Tediore--in fact, I used that to take down the Destroyer on the second playthrough!).

Is it just me, or did they mess up on the weapon proficiencies slightly? Seems that pretty much every proficiency adds to weapon accuracy *except* Sniper Rifles, with the result that my character with level 45 pistol proficiency is more accurate with a revolver than he is with a sniper rifle!

Breltar
2009-12-07, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I was about level 45 before I found anything better (a Dahl scoped revolver with around 2.5x the damage of the Tediore--in fact, I used that to take down the Destroyer on the second playthrough!).

Is it just me, or did they mess up on the weapon proficiencies slightly? Seems that pretty much every proficiency adds to weapon accuracy *except* Sniper Rifles, with the result that my character with level 45 pistol proficiency is more accurate with a revolver than he is with a sniper rifle!

I believe there is a class mod that affects the hunters sniper rifle accuracy? That would mean that the hunter is the only one able to be vastly superior in sniper rifles, which tbh is how it should be.

I have a +8 ammo regen class mod on my soldier and it basically lets us never run out of ammo... ever.

The Dove is one of the more interesting pistols in the game since the red text is "Sometimes I forget to reload" and thus it never runs out of ammo or needs to be reloaded. I use it with my soldiers ability to shoot others in my team and heal them. Sort of like a hypospray in star trek lol.

Eldariel
2009-12-07, 02:22 PM
Given you can find 98+ accuracy Snipers, that's rarely a problem (though it does vastly limit your options and pretty much automatically closes out any Gambles since no hit = no damage, no matter how good multipliers). I've got a Siren whose primary weapons are snipers; Slayer, High Velocity and Quicksilver add to a decent offensive suite.

I usually go for the highest damage 96+ accuracy Sniper; I've noticed RoF doesn't really matter outside bosses since Snipers tend to be One Hit One Kill vs. most opponents (ones you can crit, that is; save Bruisers and Badasses I guess) meaning it's rather safe to "dump" RoF and clip size for higher damage and accuracy.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-01-03, 09:39 AM
Bump. Got this from Xmas.

Easily most intense moment was the Skagzilla fight. Playing as revolver-style Hunter, ran out of ammo for revolver and Sniper. Found I had a rocket launcher, never used. Killed Skagzilla with it, got three launcher proficiency levels at once.

On a similar note, how do you kill Mothrakk? Murders me every time.

A Rainy Knight
2010-01-03, 10:43 AM
On a similar note, how do you kill Mothrakk? Murders me every time.

I'm pretty sure there's a little Catch-a-Ride station near where you have to fight it. If you hide under its roof, you'll be safe from Mothrakk's attacks, so you can basically just charge your shields back up whenever you need to.

Eldariel
2010-01-03, 11:15 AM
Vs. Mothrakk, spread weapons are very efficient. Rockets, not very much so since they're so slow, but stuff like Sledge's Shotgun is excellent there. If you have Extreme Fire Resistance shield, you'll pretty much never need to dodge those projectiles.

Other than that, you can do nice runs (at certain position running away, it can't hit you) or take a car, lock on and start driving. Of course, that might mess with the other mook in the area. And yeah, there's the catch-a-ride station where you can hole up waiting for its balls to pass, firing and repeating. So if you're willing to use trickery and deception, it's fairly easy.

factotum
2010-01-03, 11:55 AM
I just stay in the open and run around like crazy when Mothrakk is lobbing his fire...as soon as the explosions stop, I check where he is and shoot him until he starts lobbing the fire again!

Joran
2010-01-05, 05:02 PM
I just stay in the open and run around like crazy when Mothrakk is lobbing his fire...as soon as the explosions stop, I check where he is and shoot him until he starts lobbing the fire again!

I picked up a car with a machine gun. Locked onto him, drove around like a madman dodging blasts and just kept on shooting. The locked machine gun will keep hitting him until he dies. However, on my second playthrough it took 3-4 minutes of constant shooting to kill him =P

Dragor
2010-01-05, 06:03 PM
I didn't use the catch-a-ride station for Mothrakk, I instead chose to use that large tent further up the hill from the torches. It didn't work so well, though, and I only killed Mothrakk because he bugged and didn't seem to take any notice of my repeated blasts with Sledge's Shotgun.

Eldariel
2010-01-05, 06:15 PM
Doesn't anyone actually use Fire Resistance Shields? Meh, Lilith can do it in the opening you call Mothrakk on without Fire Shield tho. Phase Walk is extremely convenient when taking a lot of punishment.

Thrawn183
2010-01-05, 06:49 PM
Second winds are so abusable! I found a gun with a +50 something magazine. Once enemies take you down, they'll just stand in front of me as I unload ~80 shots into their heads. Helps with taking down guys as much as 4 levels higher than myself.