PDA

View Full Version : Cheep books and miniatures?

Eldrys
2009-10-19, 02:39 PM
does anyone know where I can find cheep books and miniatures, I checked on amazon and all the miniatures sets are something like 40 dollars, and all the books are pretty expensive.

Indon
2009-10-19, 02:47 PM
I'd say your best bet is to get lucky and find someone IRL who's interested in getting rid of a burdgeoning book collection.

Barring that, used books at your local gaming store.

sofawall
2009-10-19, 02:56 PM
Here? (http://www.cheepcheepbooks.com/Content.asp?id=683) No miniatures, though.

valadil
2009-10-19, 03:11 PM
I get my books at Amazon or half.com. Books are usually $5-$10 cheaper than in stores and you can get used copies for even cheaper.

The cheapest way to get minis is eBay. Don't go for official D&D minis or anything collectable, unless it's obsolete and nobody plays anymore. I got 126 Mage Knight figures for $10. They make great mooks, although the bases are a little larger than I'd like.

Bagelz
2009-10-19, 03:28 PM
depending on what edition for the books - garage sales and flea markets.
cheap minis - use plastic army men, or folded paper with pictures.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-19, 03:59 PM
does anyone know where I can find cheep books and miniatures, I checked on amazon and all the miniatures sets are something like 40 dollars, and all the books are pretty expensive.

Knowing what country you lived in at least would help.

Also, it's cheap. It's the same number of letters as "cheep."
It's just a pet peeve of mine, along with "Pritty."

@V heh.

hamishspence
2009-10-19, 04:01 PM
Reminds me of that Two Ronnies sketch with the bird:

RC: "It was going cheap!"
RB: "All birds go cheep."

Thurbane
2009-10-19, 08:23 PM
Reminds me of that Two Ronnies sketch with the bird:

RC: "It was going cheap!"
RB: "All birds go cheep."
A man walks into a pet store:

Man: Do you have any dogs going cheap?
Shop Assistant: No sir, all the ones we have go "woof woof"!

:smalltongue:

Zeta Kai
2009-10-19, 09:22 PM
Here? (http://www.cheepcheepbooks.com/Content.asp?id=683) No miniatures, though.

You, good sir, are pure evil. A vile waffle, with wicked syrup, served with a tall glass of hate juice. :smalltongue:

oxybe
2009-10-19, 10:22 PM
how cheap are you?

my sig technically has everything you need for free minis/tokens, minus printer ink & paper.

you can also find all the free test rules & modules you want, again, minus printer ink & paper. not books though.

Eldrys
2009-10-19, 10:33 PM
I live in The US, and thanks for all the help guys.

Also, Oxbye, the token Master download isn't working for me, but it seems like it could be really nice.

bosssmiley
2009-10-20, 04:17 AM
Amazon's used section
Noble Knight Games
Craigslist
eBay
Your FLGS

jmbrown
2009-10-20, 04:25 AM
eBay is one of the cheapest places if you know how to shop there. Always buy wholesale (type in "lot" or "wholesale" during your search) and never do a "buy it now" unless you're 100% certain you'll get a good deal because "buy it now" auctions are overpriced.

I got 20 3.5 books for about $50 and 200 assorted D&D minis for the same price.

Person_Man
2009-10-20, 09:53 AM
Estate sales. Whenever someone puts something into storage and doesn't pay their bill, it gets sold off as a lot, usually for dirt cheap. Also, when people die and have no heirs or when people have their home foreclosed on and abandon them, their stuff is similarly auctioned off. You'll also sometimes find stores that are going out of business, willing to sell off all of their inventory for pennies on the dollar. If you're patient and willing to spend your weekends rummaging through people's broken dreams, you can literally furnish a house and get a collection of nearly anything for dirt cheap. It's also a great way to find old electronics 2+ year old computers and last year's big screen TVs in particular). You can find auctions on the internet, or you can just walk into storage facilities and talk to the owners about how they dispose of stuff.

The only down side is that it takes a lot of time to find good stuff, it's nearly impossible to get particular items (for example, you might get a lot with thousands of miniatures, but you'll have a hard time finding miniatures of a specific race or game), and you'll need a pickup truck or SUV to dispose of all the other garbage that you don't want that comes in the lot of stuff you do want. There's actually a big "vulture culture" of people who basically do this professionally, buying abandoned things and re-selling them on e-Bay. It's a pretty solid side business, although it has a very high hassle factor.

Zeta Kai
2009-10-20, 01:44 PM
Assuming that you have no morals, there's also illegal downloads. I don't advocate them, but they exist. You don't need to pay any actual money to download a PDF scan; you just have to give a chunk of your immortal soul to the dark forces of the cosmos for being a wicked creature.

Clementx
2009-10-20, 03:07 PM
For minis, I found this site linked on WotC, as a useful price comparison tool. The price and shipping totals can be kinda wonky, depending how poorly formatted or misleading the merchant is, but it gives you a good start. One site in particular, alterreality.com, has a nice variety for low prices.

Paulus
2009-10-20, 03:16 PM
Assuming that you have no morals, there's also illegal downloads. I don't advocate them, but they exist. You don't need to pay any actual money to download a PDF scan; you just have to give a chunk of your immortal soul to the dark forces of the cosmos for being a wicked creature.

As opposed to shelling out your hard earned money for the latest source books that is half the weight and 1/4 the content of previous edition books, better break your back harder little billy, that part time job won't pay out enough to keep up with next week's new release. Not that I advocate pirating, but I can't blame people for disliking rampant capitalism and planned obsolescence.
Also. Older edition Mini's work just as well as newer edition minis, and since they are from an outdated system (right current culture gaming? :smallamused:) they are much easier to find then the shiny and new ones. Just be wary of "rares".

Croverus
2009-10-20, 03:33 PM
Minis? In my gaming group, we use our imagination!! And me having taken a semester of Creative Writing in College helps with DMing...