PDA

View Full Version : Preparing a Campaign? (3.5)

AtwasAwamps
2009-10-19, 03:19 PM
So, my current little DnD group is a lot of fun and I enjoy playing with them. The current DM mentioned that everybody in the group runs a game at one point or another. I've sort of gathered from everyone that while this may be the case, not all of them sort of shoulder the same amount of DMing.

Knowing this, I kind of want to start prepping my own game so that once the group is more familiar with me and people are ready for a change of pace, but nobody else wants to run a game, I can step up and say "Well, I've got this campaign for ya..."

I do have an idea for what I want to do...the PCs are inhabitants of a string of island nations and the plot centers a bit around seafaring, exploration, and naturally good old piracy.

Are there any books I should look into besides the obvious monster manuals and DMG? If there's anything with some rules about ship/seafaring combat, that would be fun to play with. Just general advice and resources for a nautical-esque campaign (though there will be plenty of chances for the more landlubbery as well).

TempesT
2009-10-19, 03:22 PM
The book you should realy get is Stormwrack if you happen to Find it.

So what do you think the plot main villan(s) will be.

Edit: text

AtwasAwamps
2009-10-19, 03:25 PM
Considering I decided to do this about five minutes ago...I'll get back to you in a few hours =P

EDIT: I realize that answer seems facetious and ungrateful.

What I mean to say is, I want to know what the real essential tools/resources are for starting campaign preparation, and what specific books I should look for if I'm slanting towards a nautical theme. Once I have a more firm knowledge of what I'm doing, I'l lbe able to give you more details, but I'm really looking for generalities right now, to get started.

BobVosh
2009-10-19, 03:36 PM
Stormwrack as he mentioned. Exceedingly well written, and definitely a must for any nautical adventure.

If you want more advice we need more info on whatcha want.

gathro
2009-10-19, 03:51 PM
If there's piracy, the Dread Pirate PrC from Complete Adventurer could help.

Godskook
2009-10-19, 04:08 PM
How nautical do you want it to feel? Will movement types be a problem? For instance, if the group decides to run a squadron of griffon raiders from a sea perch, does that blow your theme out of the water, or fit right in? What about a group of underwater hull smashers who operate from a submarine?

Personally, if I did something like you're describing, I'd ban a lot of the movement type options out there. There might be some available, but they wouldn't be common. That'd help force the nautical feel of the game I'd want. I'd also model it after One Piece in many ways.