PDA

View Full Version : Characters you want to play but will never have chance to

Akisa
2009-10-19, 03:35 PM
I just had the thought of playing a human form replicator.

Why it would never see play; Other then being over powered it would be hard to explain why the other PC would trust this individual, let alone the few Stargate games out there.

So has anyone have character they want to play but will never be able to

BobVosh
2009-10-19, 03:38 PM
Mindflayer ANYTHING. They are just so hard to get around that huge ECL.

Raksasha for a similiar reason, although with Sorc casting + outsider HD it isn't as bad.

Also I still want to do a all Kua-Toa whip party. That would be fun.

jseah
2009-10-19, 03:43 PM
Wizard/Spell-to-power Erudite
- Especially designed to not engage in combat. Perhaps with Vows.

I never got to play a strategic character properly. One that works with the flow of the game.

Zaydos
2009-10-19, 03:45 PM
Pit fiend; I'd love to play a pit fiend.

I have to second mind flayer (my longest running campaign had an ulitharid i.e. super illithid as the BBEG till they finally killed him and wanted to continue).

A vampire (too much LA).

A lich even.

Pretty much half a dozen things with high or impossible LA.

Kylarra
2009-10-19, 03:46 PM
a beguiler. :(

Tyndmyr
2009-10-19, 03:48 PM
Any in a game of 7th Sea. I fear that game has sadly dwindled in popularity, and all the local players but one have left(darn military).

Eh, Im keeping my books though, just in case.

Guancyto
2009-10-19, 03:55 PM
Half-Fiend or a Half-Celestial. Flavor is nice, character concepts abound and you get flight.

But +4 LA is painful. In low-power games people look at the stat block and decide it's too strong, and in higher-power games you fall behind because it really isn't. :smallfrown:

Ecalsneerg
2009-10-19, 03:59 PM
Psions in my 3.5 F2F group.

They're overpowered, y'know?

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-19, 04:07 PM
Silly Kobold. Not Pun-Pun level, but Dragonwrought, Loredrake etc. But no DM will allow it.

@Zaydos: I think they made a Savage Species progression for Pit Fiend.

@Kylarra: Why can't you play a Beguiler?

OracleofWuffing
2009-10-19, 04:09 PM
A Vampire Joystealer Mindflayer Succubus.

Don't look at me like that, you'd want to play it just to see how that works.

Also, Warblade. :smallfrown:

Paulus
2009-10-19, 04:10 PM
A Dragon apparently.

and perhaps a melee character who fights only unarmed and remains effective in core.

Lycan 01
2009-10-19, 04:11 PM
Cthulhu. :smallbiggrin:

Oh wait, there was that one Call of Cthulhu game I ran....

I'd love to be a Commissar in a game of Dark Heresy. But there's no official career path for a member of the Commissariat, and the few homebrewed paths that can be found online (of which, even fewer are all that decent, I hear...) are not accepted by ANY GM. :smallfrown:

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-19, 04:19 PM
A Vampire Joystealer Mindflayer Succubus.

Don't look at me like that, you'd want to play it just to see how that works.

Also, Warblade. :smallfrown:

Warblade? Who won't allow a Warblade?

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-10-19, 04:23 PM
Mystic Swordsage or Badass (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6527724#post6527724). *sob*

Both at once is even less likely than never.

Tiki Snakes
2009-10-19, 04:30 PM
Even with access to decent homebrew, I don't see my chances of getting to play an Illithid are good. (4e, btw).

Ironically, they are amongst the 'theoretically allowed' list of homebrewed stuff for my own upcoming campaign. Not that anyone has shown interest, obviously. :)

For the Rakshasa lovers in the audience, I did also take a few minutes to write up a simple 4e monster-race style Rakshasa for a player... (who had settled on Shadar Kai before I even got round to posting it, of course.)

Average Height: 5'6" - 6'2"
Average Weight: 135 - 220

Ability scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares.
Vision: Low-Light

Languages: Common,
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Athletics

Deceptive Veil -
(At Will, Minor) Illusion
The Rakshasa can appear as any Medium Humanoid. A Successful Insight Check (Opposed by the Rakshasa's Bluff Check) pierces the disguise.

Claws -
They may treat their claws as an offhand weapon that deals 1d6 damage. A Rakshasa is proficient with his own claws, (Gaining a +2 proficiency bonus on attacks with the weapon keyword). A Rakshasa's claw is a weapon in the Unarmed weapon group and can be enchanted like a monk's unarmed strike. You must have a hand free to make a Claw attack.

(Racial Feats follow.)

Feat - Rakshasa Claw Fighter
Your Claws count as light blades in each hand. Additionally the damage dice on attacks made with your claws increase from 1d6 to 1d8

OracleofWuffing
2009-10-19, 04:37 PM
Warblade? Who won't allow a Warblade?
Ever since "Oracle of Wuffing's Swordsage Incident," my local DMs are fully convinced that anything involving Tome of Battle does not exist.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-19, 04:41 PM
{Scrubbed}
I hoped to one day actually play a mage that abuses Celerity. Now that I've snagged a spot in an epic game, that time is nigh. :)

Pika...
2009-10-19, 05:50 PM
A monodrone.

After that, any Modron. :smallfrown:

Oslecamo
2009-10-19, 05:55 PM
Zombie anything. Walk around slowly moaning "Braaaiinnnsss" and then actualy do it.

But between being completely mindless and partial actions, well, it doesn't even has an oficial LA.

Godskook
2009-10-19, 05:59 PM
Ever since "Oracle of Wuffing's Swordsage Incident," my local DMs are fully convinced that anything involving Tome of Battle does not exist.

Full story or it didn't happen!

FFTGeist
2009-10-19, 06:04 PM
I'd like to play a Player Character....

No one else is qualified to be a DM... :smallfrown:

Assassin89
2009-10-19, 06:05 PM
I would like to play a dwarf divine mind for the purpose of helping to heal the warforged in the party, but the DM banned psionics due to a psychic warrior adding d6s to every damage roll.

OracleofWuffing
2009-10-19, 06:16 PM
Full story or it didn't happen!
You can pretty much get the full story here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6192673&postcount=16). The thing is, it wasn't the crazy {Scrubbed} stuff that anyone was ticked off at, it was pretty much "Counters are annoying because I can't hit you or else bad things happen, and even if you have used up your counters I still can't hit you because stances will cause bad things to happen." Never fighting anything with fire resistance or immunity didn't really help my case, either.

Pika...
2009-10-19, 06:38 PM

Qualified?

I think that is your problem. You are either expecting to much, or are keeping people from first-time DMing due to the prior.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-19, 06:40 PM
From what I know about my DMing and my friends' DMing, some people are definitely not qualified to DM. For some, practice gets over that; for some, the amount of practice necessary means several sessions (at least) of mind-numbing mediocrity.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-19, 06:49 PM
A Planar Shepard. I know they are super strong, but I've always wanted to see them in action.

And Incarnum: never got to play classes yet.

Kylarra
2009-10-19, 06:52 PM
From what I know about my DMing and my friends' DMing, some people are definitely not qualified to DM. For some, practice gets over that; for some, the amount of practice necessary means several sessions (at least) of mind-numbing mediocrity.On the other hand, if you never let them try, you've no cause for complaint about always having to be DM.

Amphetryon
2009-10-19, 06:52 PM
Dragonwrought Mongrelfolk CON-based manifesting Psion.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-19, 06:54 PM
On the other hand, if you never let them try, you've no cause for complaint about always having to be DM.

My friends let me try. They regretted that session.
I got over suck DMing, but who's to say that generic bad DM would? And who's to say that the original complainer never let his friends try?

This is off-topic, though. I'll let you get the last word if you care to reply and stop derailing the thread.

Lycan 01
2009-10-19, 07:00 PM
Most of my players refuse to DM. Two actually tried it. One basically swore he'd never do it again. :smallbiggrin: The other says it was more than he expected, but he'd like to do it again eventually now that he knows how to prepare better for it. He still prefers to play though... :smalltongue: My GF also wanted to try DMing, but the group we were in fell apart before she got the chance...

So yeah. I'm basically "DM for Life" with my group. :smalleek: Which isn't too bad, actually. I LOVE running most games, especially Call of Cthulhu and a completely homebrewed Superhero game I made for my friends. (In fact, I'm running a Fallout game based off a tweaked version of that system this weekend...)

Come to think of it, my play-to-GM ratio is about...... 9:1, I'd say. :smallconfused:

Thajocoth
2009-10-19, 07:08 PM
Even with access to decent homebrew, I don't see my chances of getting to play an Illithid are good. (4e, btw).

Ironically, they are amongst the 'theoretically allowed' list of homebrewed stuff for my own upcoming campaign. Not that anyone has shown interest, obviously. :)

For the Rakshasa lovers in the audience, I did also take a few minutes to write up a simple 4e monster-race style Rakshasa for a player... (who had settled on Shadar Kai before I even got round to posting it, of course.)

Average Height: 5'6" - 6'2"
Average Weight: 135 - 220

Ability scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares.
Vision: Low-Light

Languages: Common,
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Athletics

Deceptive Veil -
(At Will, Minor) Illusion
The Rakshasa can appear as any Medium Humanoid. A Successful Insight Check (Opposed by the Rakshasa's Bluff Check) pierces the disguise.

Claws -
They may treat their claws as an offhand weapon that deals 1d6 damage. A Rakshasa is proficient with his own claws, (Gaining a +2 proficiency bonus on attacks with the weapon keyword). A Rakshasa's claw is a weapon in the Unarmed weapon group and can be enchanted like a monk's unarmed strike. You must have a hand free to make a Claw attack.

(Racial Feats follow.)

Feat - Rakshasa Claw Fighter
Your Claws count as light blades in each hand. Additionally the damage dice on attacks made with your claws increase from 1d6 to 1d8

I've got a hunch that the PHB3 will have them. I'm forgetting what gave me that hunch though...

Possibly January 2010's "Underdark" supplement or a later supplement for the Far Realm, but I'm leaning towards PHB3.

Shardan
2009-10-19, 08:01 PM
Werewolf: the Apocalypse
and Seventh Sea

My two favorite games

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-19, 08:26 PM
A warcaster. But strangely, DMs don't like casters getting full plate with no ASF, a few buffs, and a melee/ranged combat hulk that can kick the party fighter's ass with ease.

Thurbane
2009-10-19, 08:29 PM
I really want to play a Binder, but no one in my group has allowed them as a DM, and it's my turn to DM next. Still, one day...

Magnor Criol
2009-10-19, 08:39 PM
Binder seconded.

Also, Astral Deva monster class from Savage Species. Just seems pretty dang fun.

And a changeling or doppleganger with a +1 Changeling Morphing Sizing Transmuting longsword - I could change into any shape, and so can my weapon (to ridiculous levels)! I'd probably have to play a Factotum, while I'm at it, just to keep up the theme of "I can become whatever I want."

Set
2009-10-19, 08:47 PM
A muttering distracted mad, mad, mad scientist Son of Ether (obsessed with discrediting Thomas Edison, and responsible for many internet sites extolling the virtues of Nikolai Tesla) or perhaps a Man in Black. Hell, half of the Traditions and Conventions of Mage the Ascension call out to me! I'd even be willing to play in the setting using variant rules (like M&M2e or something), because it's the setting that appeals to me, not the darn rules!

Dozens of Trinity Psions, Aberrant Novas and Adventure! two-fisted adventurers. I love those three settings irrationally, and have three dozen characters written up and ready to play for them. Yet another series of settings I'd happily play under a different rules-set. Pulp goodness is my kryptonite, and Adventure! had such potential!

Fahsaad al-Hayyat, my Follower of Set on the Path of the Warrior, running his own dojo, where he takes in 'disadvantaged youth' and breaks them down to make them into stronger and better people, in the process of also turning them into his own personal army...

Piet, my Daelkyr Half-Blood Warlock, whose invocations all appear alien and otherworldly.

Charles Maximilian Caldwell, Nosferatu Harpy and social powerhouse, (retired) B-movie actor and man-about-town, who occasionally bosses Toreador and Ventrue around, before they remember that, under that latex mask, he's got face only a crocodile could love.

Most of the characters I'd love to play have been scuttled because the game settings they have been built within have been deep-sixed. Vampire the Masquerade and Mage the Ascension have been replaced. The Aeon setting of Adventure!, Aberrant and Trinity is pretty much abandoned. The Scarred Lands is done. Al-Qadim and Kara-Tur never even got updated to 3e, and, being IP that has been burned, will not be available for 'Pathfinderizing' for decades.

Jergmo
2009-10-19, 09:10 PM
I played an ogre barbarian.

I've played an Old red dragon that was a villain in a friend's campaign. Twice.

I've played a half-dragon sorcerer dragonkin supremacist that rose an army to conquer human, elven, and orcish kingdoms.

I played a vampire True Necromancer (yes, it sucks, but oh well) who was spreading the cult of the God of Death and Decay from her original world to the new one she was inhabiting in a friend's campaign.

I'm playing a human necromancer mad doctor in a friend's campaign on Team Evil's side, involved in an apocalyptic prophecy.

Apart from that, I'm the default DM among my friends. Any attempt to give an NPC life in roleplaying ends up with me being accused of having a Star NPC take the spotlight.

I want a chance to play some of my old, favorite characters. :smallfrown:

Teutonic Knight
2009-10-19, 09:21 PM
The half-elf druid that died on his (and my) first adventure.

Zaydos
2009-10-19, 09:32 PM
If we are including characters that died. Willow-Wreath my first PC I can really remember, thrown into a room full of hobgoblins to act as "Diplomat"... Hobgoblins hate elves and kill them on sight.

Newer: Probably incarnum, although even I don't allow that just because I don't know how it works and neither do my players, and a gem dragon.

Korivan
2009-10-20, 10:02 AM
Bob, the human commoner who travels the rhelms selling dungeon insurance to BBEG's.

drengnikrafe
2009-10-20, 10:16 AM
I build something in the realm of 6 characters that use rules that are close to the actual rules, and are somewhat broken broken. I might just run a campaign by forcing those guys on my PCs, and seeing how that turns out. To clerify, I have... A Planar Shepherd, A Thri-Kreen Rogue with 12 hidden blades, an IOTSV, a Diplomancer, and a fighter whose crit range is 3-20 and beheads on a success, and... something else that I forgot. Like I said, close to the real rules (so please don't site mistakes I made).

And I have a friend who, every time we run a high-level campaign, asks to play a celestial. I doubt he'll get the chance.

babson99
2009-10-20, 10:24 AM
An unarmed melee character in core is easy. A 12th level fighter with no gear at all will have Greater Weapon Focus and Specialization (unarmed), various grappling feats, and many other useful feats like Power Attack that a monk might want but may not be able to afford. His fighting depends on three stats (Str, Con, Dex), not four like a monk (the above plus Wis), so each of the three can be higher. Plus, he can wear full spiked plate, so anything that does grapple him is going to regret it. Any monk that tries to hit his high AC and wear down his high hit points is going to wish that he'd spent less time meditating and more time at the gym.

I did play the one character I never thought I'd be able to: an awakened dog with levels in fighter and ranger. It was great fun, too.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-20, 10:24 AM
My Demilich. A DM authorized me to make one, but then insisted I write out his entire spell list (not just the spell names or a synopsis, but the full text)... Took me weeks, and then he told me the game was on hiatus due to "lack of interest" just as I reached eighth level Divine spells (I'd already finished Arcane). Well, yeah obviously there's no interest when you force your players through that kind of hoop. I'm pretty much certain no one will ever let me play a Demilich again.

Also, my fanatic. I designed a LG hypocritical, insane, religious zealot who had a warped vision of his god (he was masquerading as a Cleric using Factotum) and later decided that his god must be a fake, and became an Ur-Priest. The reason I'll never play it? It would be absolutely impossible in any normal game, for RP reasons. He'd make most Paladins look reasonable.

kamikasei
2009-10-20, 10:28 AM
Binder seconded.
And a changeling or doppleganger with a +1 Changeling Morphing Sizing Transmuting longsword - I could change into any shape, and so can my weapon (to ridiculous levels)! I'd probably have to play a Factotum, while I'm at it, just to keep up the theme of "I can become whatever I want."

Hah! There was a game recruiting on the boards a few months ago, an epic gestalt FR game about trying to take down the Wall of the Faithless. Eventually, and understandably enough, the prospective DM decided he didn't have the time available to commit to running so demanding a game. So, regrettably, I doubt my level 25 changeling binder//factotum with his anyweapon will ever see the light of day again. Sniff. I liked him (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=147688).

Loxagn
2009-10-20, 10:37 AM
Always wanted to play a halfling barbarian with a buster sword, just for the sheer hilarity of watching inertia do horrible, horrible things to him.

peacenlove
2009-10-20, 10:55 AM
Gestalt shadow (or deep) dragon // (my homebrew) shadowcaster (just for fun i know of the crippling LA)

My first mage (from 2nd edition), Endor (Transmuter specializing on escaping and saving party members from evil DM's / their mistakes)

Most of Realms of Chaos, Krimm Blackleaf and The Demented one's homebrew, espesially the caster, binder and epic destiny related :smallbiggrin: (I am DMing most of the time and when i play its a newbie DM which thinks monks are the best class evar and is unconfortable with the myriad of spells and mysteries flying around. However i convinced him to use the Descend of shadows project :smallbiggrin:)

Shademan
2009-10-20, 11:26 AM
carlos Fullspeed the Monk/blue mage/ enlightened fist with tatoo's and sunglasses.

Gorbash
2009-10-20, 11:27 AM
Elf Transmuter/Swiftblade. :smallfrown:

Swiftblade is such a cool prestige class, but since my group is switching to pathfinder when we finish up Paizo's Adventure Paths, at this point it doesn't seem I'll be able to. Hope dies last, though...

R. Shackleford
2009-10-20, 11:48 AM
A true Chaotic Evil Drow, not chaotic stupid one, and not Drizzt.

"You can't be evil."

"But is alignment going to matter this game?"

"No, but you can't be evil."

That game I still went Drow Rogue, and upon trying something evil, the cleric in the group hit me with a mace, giving the guy a concussion and head injury for the remainder of the game.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2009-10-20, 11:50 AM
A) I love the scrubbing :)

B) Most of this can be fixed (in a very balanced way) with the ECL variation I use.

C) The character I reallllllllly want to play is anything that goes from medium or smaller to colossal or bigger in 1 turn AND can attack effectively in that same turn. It just tickles me inside; like a beat-stick going nuclear. The psion would be jealous :smallwink:

Swok
2009-10-20, 12:38 PM
Fistbeard Beardfist. (or is it Beardfist Fistbeard?)

Rixx
2009-10-20, 01:35 PM
A gestalt Fighter / Sorcerer. My DM would never run a gestalt game with us. XD

I've always been interested in playing a monster, too.

Keshay
2009-10-20, 01:46 PM
At this pont, any D&D character at all.

Everyone in my gaming group has gotten amrried, had kids and travels for work far too often to be able to set up a session. Whenever we do plan anything it falls through due to one or more people having to cancel.

I'm not going to look for another group since I'm not particularly partial to RPG with strangers.

I'll just have to wait until my kids are old enough, then DM them.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-20, 02:09 PM
Werewolf: the Apocalypse
and Seventh Sea

My two favorite games

Hmmm, that makes two of us. I don't suppose you live in the DC area?

Roderick_BR
2009-10-20, 02:18 PM
Any paladin/butt-kicker-for-goodness PrC, like Fist of Raziel. Or a crusader. I had one all ready to go, but that session didn't happen with everyone getting busy at the last minute (myself included).

I have luck to have a group that doesn't diss paladin players though. Yet I have the worst luck. Whenever I play a paladin/cleric/good guy, we go into treasure hunting, and when I try some rogue or mage thing, we go into "saving the world before breakfast" stories, full of monsters with too many pointy teeth. :smalltongue:

And yeah, I'm almost aways the DM. There's another guy that is an amazing DM here, but rarely wants to.

Ormagoden
2009-10-20, 02:22 PM
NEXT ON THE LIST

TWF Dwarf Orc hunter named Agate Orckiller (You can laugh now.)

I've only ever played one dwarf before; he was very unconventional. I'd like to play something closer to a sterotype to have some fun.

Alaris
2009-10-20, 02:24 PM
Pixie. Pixie something. And I'm never going to be able to. All I've so far had the chance to play in is low-level games, and playing a Pixie in one of those is nearly impossible.

I just think they have so many useful abilities.... including the permanent Greater Invisibility, among other things.

gdiddy
2009-10-20, 02:36 PM
I have been blessed with good DM's, so I've never wanted for anything. However, the one DM that has let me get everything I want abhors everything after levels 10-15.

I suppose a multi-year level 1-20 character would be my ideal.

Record to this point was a character that leveled 4-12.

FlyingWhale
2009-10-20, 02:44 PM
I'd like to play a Player Character....

I feel your pain. I feel it down to my very being...

In other news I sure would love to play a ... a... I haven't played a character in so many years I don't even remember what it's like to make a character... **** Well there was one fighter build I always wanted to play... Skill tricks and Disarm, Trip, Grapple, Unarmed, that whole build...

Oo! I always wanted to play a Monk with all the save feats... Lightning Reflexes etc etc for flavor of being in tune with everything... Yeah I really don't remember...

Doc Roc
2009-10-20, 03:06 PM
I'd like to get to play a war-marked instead of just running rigorous tests involving them.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-20, 03:08 PM
I have been blessed with good DM's, so I've never wanted for anything. However, the one DM that has let me get everything I want abhors everything after levels 10-15.

I suppose a multi-year level 1-20 character would be my ideal.

Record to this point was a character that leveled 4-12.

Oh, this is a good point. I love long campaigns where you get to stick with a character for ages. Im not sure what my record is for consecutive levels, but I'd guess it's in the neighborhood of 10-12. In D&D anyway. Two years in a campaign in another game.

gdiddy
2009-10-20, 04:07 PM
Actually, there is one thing...

An awakened adamantine chair that's a mage-hunting un-armed sword sage.

Amador
2009-10-20, 04:18 PM
Half silver dragon Gelatinous ooze vampire rogue.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-20, 04:22 PM
Half silver dragon Gelatinous ooze vampire rogue.

I think people are getting a bit silly now. Maybe a time out is in order :smalltongue:

I've always wanted to play a Gelatinous anything. The template is Int 0, but a Headband of Intellect +6 permanently bonded to you and a method of countering Antimagic/Dispelling and you're a gooey, slightly dim pool of awesomeness.

Amador
2009-10-20, 04:26 PM
Who said a template, just be an awakened ooze. The only template there is half-dragon and vampire. Ooze is in the MM.

Nero24200
2009-10-20, 04:49 PM
Minotaur Barbarian - Don't know why, but I've always had a soft spot for minotaurs, though the RHD and LA are just too much for my DM to accept (and well..the LA cripples it anyway). If a non-RHD and non-LA version of the minotaur was used, I take it in a heartbeat.

Shifter Druid focused on moon-themed powers - Mostly because I won't get to use non-core spells, and theres few luna themed spells in core.

Marillion
2009-10-20, 05:05 PM
Hmmm, that makes two of us. I don't suppose you live in the DC area?
God, I miss 7th sea. I played Luc (6 or 7 middle names) du Praisse, a Porte mage who ripped bloody, screaming holes in the fabric of reality...who also happened to be a mooch and a complete pansy. He was so good at mooching, I never actually had to roll for it. During my first session in this game, I had to meet with the madame of a Vodacce courtesan house to explain that my employer, who'd saved one of her courtesans from a rapist/murderer two nights before, would be late for their meeting. While we waited, she asked me other stories about my employer. The problem? 1st; I'd only just met him 20 minutes ago, when I recognized him from his description in the newspapers, sidled up alongside him, loudly proclaimed both his heroism and my association with him, and was hired to be his herald, but of course I couldn't tell her that. The 2nd? I was telling her that he was my employee...Well, not really an employee so much as someone who I allow to follow me on my journeys...He really looks up to me, and I kinda felt sorry for him, ya know? (OOC, I was interrupted 3 times by his player, who said "omigod he is going to get stabbed when I find out about this.") But, through flattery, witticism, and sheer audacity, Luc was able to talk his way out of it without anyone realizing he'd talked his way into anything in the first place.:smallcool:

And of course, then there was the incident with the boots...:smallcool:

But alas, the DM has started working two jobs, and on the rare occasion that she does run, it's a DnD game that had been going on for long before I met this group. Which we've only played twice in the past two months. For 1 hour at a time. :smallfrown:

spamoo
2009-10-20, 05:12 PM
A couple of years back, I was our group's only DM. Because of this I welcomed an offer from one of the other players to give a shot at DMing. He was having trouble figuring out any sort of plot and didn't want a sandbox game (bad experiences) so he came to me for help. After a few bad ideas we decided to use my established campaign world and explore the history of it. Specifically that of Saint William the bard.

Saint William was built as a 15th level bard with every jack of all trades option that I could fine. He was that traditional carefree soul. The plan was for Saint William (and his companions) to be forced into dire circumstances to protect their country. Each time he had to make an agonizing moral decision, that choice would get slightly easier for William. Eventually William would realize what he had become and end up sacrificing himself to save his companions and therefore the country. This is the root of his sainthood. Unfortunately this game died before it could begin due to time issues.

Aron Times
2009-10-20, 05:30 PM
I will probably not be able to play all of the characters on this list, as I'm already playing in two weekly campaigns.

1. Changeling Wizard - I can impersonate an archmage and do his job better.

2. Tiefling Fighter - Based on Valen Shadowbreath, the tiefling fighter from Neverwinter Nights 1.

3. Swordmage|Wizard - Basically an eldritch knight who only needs two stats.

4. Chaotic Evil Halfling Ranger - Belkar 4.0! Now with dual scimitars!

5. Kender Sorcerer/Rogue - Kender + Spells = Everyone runs for cover.

6. Half-Orc Sorcerer - Based on Xanos Messarmos, the half-orc sorcerer from Neverwinter Nights 1.

Gadora
2009-10-21, 05:34 AM
Minotaur Barbarian - Don't know why, but I've always had a soft spot for minotaurs, though the RHD and LA are just too much for my DM to accept (and well..the LA cripples it anyway). If a non-RHD and non-LA version of the minotaur was used, I take it in a heartbeat.

Shifter Druid focused on moon-themed powers - Mostly because I won't get to use non-core spells, and theres few luna themed spells in core.

The Dragonlance Campaign Setting has a version of the minotaur that has no RHD or LA. They're different enough stat-wise that you might not be interested though.

arguskos
2009-10-21, 05:38 AM
Man, I'd just like to PLAY. :smallsigh: I'm the perennial DM, since no one in my play group is interested in playing.

My ideal character concept though? In a heavy RP group that was alright with adult themes, I'd want to play a hedonistic mage who worships Graz'zt as the incarnation of sexuality unrestrained, and emulated him at all opportunities. Man, that'd be fun. :smallamused:

Malacode
2009-10-21, 05:43 AM
<snip>
1. Changeling Wizard - I can impersonate an archmage and do his job better.
</snip>

Oh, hell yes. I'm playing a Changeling Wizard in one of my current campaigns. So. Freaking. Fun. He's disguised as a halfling most of the time to fit in with the rest of the party, but changes shape to fit the situation. Not to forget that at-will Disguise Self and Prestidigitation make for great intimidation tools. With some clever dialogue thrown in, you've practically got a +whatever circumstance bonus on the roll.

Flayerman
2009-10-21, 05:50 AM
I'd like to play a Warforged Dragonborn of Bahamut Barbarian/Warforged Juggernaut.

...what? Robot dragon full of rage and unstoppable rampage.

I'd also like to play a Dread Necromancer 10/Renegade Mastermaker 10. Necron!

GallóglachMaxim
2009-10-21, 07:46 AM
The Dragonlance Campaign Setting has a version of the minotaur that has no RHD or LA. They're different enough stat-wise that you might not be interested though.

Do you remember which book they appear in? That sounds like something I've been looking for.

oxinabox
2009-10-21, 08:15 AM
a huge number of character concepts:
Problem is i can only play one at a time.
Vow of Poverty, Druid, focused on dinosaurs (esp fleash rakers),
Gestult with Totemist, though in a lvl of monk if my AC is too low...
Worshiping Wee Jas, LN.,
Everything has it's time to die, Your time is now, or "RAHW"

A Cleric Who is convinced he's a wizard.

A marshal/white raven warblade/ inspirationa bard
(heck i'm going to stat that up)

Cyanic
2009-10-21, 11:03 AM
@ Mindflayer people:

A couple years ago I actually got the chance to take it for 3 ECL and it was great. Uber awsomesomeness with deep crystal mercurial greatsword as a psiwar. Became even more awsome when messing around with an artifact (the one with the chamber and all the levers and knobs), which added the weretiger template (dm ruled artifact would override template requirements).

Were-ithids with big swords are VERY fun. :smallbiggrin:

Just picture it, 10' at the shoulder, arbatrarily large 2 handed weapon goodness, DR, mindblast, tentacles and fangs everywhere. Utter satisfaction. :smallamused:

If anyone is interested I might still have the char sheet somewhere...killed by kender :smallfurious:

As to what I still want to play sometime, I want to do a Eldarin-blessed elan sometime. Gesalted Psion/Warblade.

Edit: Also I want to do an Ixiban Blackguard sometime.

lyko555
2009-10-21, 01:38 PM
A kender...

DracoDei
2009-10-24, 11:05 AM
A Wing Dragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3788332&postcount=9) (the breath weapon worries people I think).

sofawall
2009-10-24, 11:09 AM
Do you remember which book they appear in? That sounds like something I've been looking for.

Umm... The Dragonlance Campaign Setting...

Nai_Calus
2009-10-24, 05:50 PM
I've got a couple.

Kerazt Vareth, CN (lesser) drow priest of Vhaeraun. Flamboyant, loves fine wines, preaches gender equality and working together with the surface elves to take over the world, makes ridiculously overblown grandiose plans. Will gut you like a fish if he's in the right mood and you annoy him, but might also help you regardless of your race if he's in a good mood.

Sadly he's very much 3.5 dependant, in which he's not a particularly useful character in most parties I've been in - We usually needed a spontaneous curer, which you can't get with a cleric of an evil god in 3.5. Nor is he particularly easy to fit into a game. It has to be either Forgotten Realms or homebrew willing to utilize Vhaeraun as a god. He can play nice with other party members, but he's not going to be most people's first choice. And any drow-based campaign is going to be focused around the filthy spider-kissers so he doesn't fit in there either. 4e would remove the mechanical problems, but WotC decided that they couldn't possibly have any decent drow gods running around, so they killed Vhaeraun off. -_-

Thrull Elfkiller, CG half-orc Cleric of Corellon Larethian. Mechanically illegal in 3.5, pointless in 4e as he'd have to be FR, but the new 'all races worship all gods' thing kind of removes the point. Despite the name, Thrull of course does not actually kill elves. He likes elves and does his best to protect them, often by infiltrating orc communities and undermining them from within. He refers to Corellon most of the time as the 'Nice Elf God' since he has trouble pronouncing the name due to his tusks and doesn't want to insult his god by saying his name wrong. He often talks in the third person with simple common sentences, but this is a front to make people underestimate his intelligence.

He came to his rather unusual choice of profession by way of being raised by a human bard along with the bard's half-elven nephew, who were both worshippers of Corellon. He had previously been living on the street begging for scraps, but they took him in and let him travel with them and taught him the things he'd been missing out on, and he consequently credits his god for saving him.

Yes, I come up with some odd characters. :P

Shardan
2009-10-24, 07:18 PM
Tyndmyr: Fraid not.

Marillion: Mine was Tonov. The largest Ussuran on the seas. Ships carpenter, wielding a massive sledge hammer in one hand and a mug of ale in the other. Notorious for his strength and stamina through all the ports. In once incident he even caught a cannonball. He wasn't the brains of the party, but the loveable lummox had friends in all the worst parts of town. Upon his retirement he opened a bar called 'The Tilted Deck'. The floors inside were all so lopsided you had to use balance instead of footwork.

AlfredAmeoba
2009-10-24, 08:22 PM
A bard or rogue, generally a scoundrel. Seems like we always need another tank, though.
Im probably behind the league here, though. Need to get some more rule-books.

dragonfan6490
2009-10-24, 09:22 PM
Beholder Mage.

FMArthur
2009-10-24, 09:31 PM
I just want to someday come across a super-powergamer group with a DM who says "do your worst" at character creation so I can show them a monstrously overpowered Psion + Beholder Mage + Ur-Priest combination I cooked up a long time ago. After a single round of this madness I would let the DM convince me to swap the thing out for another character I would just happen to have ready at the moment. I just want to see it in action and some reactions to it.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-24, 09:34 PM
Limbsare U'sles, the crippled monk :smallfrown:.

Ylorch
2009-10-25, 12:42 AM
A Beguiler Beguiler, with a Beguiler familiar and beguiler beguiler cohort who also has a beguiler familiar. Alternatively a Justicar Justicar.

Elana
2009-10-25, 02:26 AM
An Alu-Fiend sorceress.

Now hat has several problems.

Where will I find a DM who lets me run a demon (or for proper 3.5 translation half- fiend human with full Tanar'ri immunities and powers+Charm person at will)
which is of course chaotic evil.

And if I find one, who allows that, the level adjustment would probably take the fun out of it.

Kallisti
2009-10-25, 02:29 AM
Bob, the human commoner who travels the rhelms selling dungeon insurance to BBEG's.

Been there, done that.

No, really. I named him Arthas, though. Not Bob.

It was for a game where we were all gestalt, but had to take an NPC class on one track. I went Bard/commoner and was Arthas, the smooth-talking adventurer insurance salesman. It was awesome.

Adumbration
2009-10-25, 03:28 AM
I would love to play a build involving the prestige class Eerie Traveler by Djinn_in_Tonic. Unfortunately my group rarely reaches sufficiently high levels for it.

Anonymouswizard
2009-10-25, 04:09 AM
I would like to play a lawful good cleric who wields a staff, bangs evil creatures over the head yelling naughty, and uses ducktape to heal people.

Or failing that a henchman who is able to carry around anything designated loot.

Thespianus
2009-10-25, 05:05 AM
and uses ducktape to heal people.

Ducktape?
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/296/ducktapet.jpg
:smallsmile:

Duct tape, I assume? ;)

I wanna play a Beguiler. It seems just crazy fun.

weenie
2009-10-25, 05:49 AM
A gestalt Swiftblade. Or even a regular Swiftblade. We usually play core-only and never reach levels above 10..

Adumbration
2009-10-25, 07:00 AM
Another one: a higher level artificer. I really suffer from the kid-in-the-candy-shop when it comes to magic items.

Theodoric
2009-10-25, 07:19 AM
Ducktape?
Duct tape, I assume? ;)
http://homepage1.nifty.com/kouzai/images3/duck_tape.jpg
Duck tape's my favourite brand of duct tape.:smallwink:

Dixieboy
2009-10-25, 08:10 AM
A monodrone.

After that, any Modron. :smallfrown:

Anything below a Quadrone (Or whatever they are called) would suck IMO;
"Can only do one/two/three thought(s) at a time" seems to be a bit limiting.

I can definetely get behind the idea of playing a modron though.

oxinabox
2009-10-25, 10:14 AM
A kender (with +2 cha to make up to the -2 wis) mounted on a WarHorse, (with a *war* mule, acting as a packhorse normally, but as a mount in a tightspot)
Preferably gestalt:

Knight /fighter /PrC Paladin/ Halfling Outrider*/Plains outrider* // Cloistered Cleric 2/ binder/ binder knight/ binder Cleric

*with a house rule saying that the compitace bonuses from Halfling outrider stacks with that from plains out rider.

I think I have enough Classes there...

This would be so much fun to build and play!

I need 3 seperate Houserules + gestalt to even start on it...

MidnightOne
2009-10-25, 02:28 PM
I have a character concept but I've never been able to find a DM willing to add the proper background in the world.

She's a chaotic good half-demon. Her village was attacked by demon hordes after a wizard's spell went horribly awry - her and her fellow "kindred" are the result. They account for roughly 1/3 of the population of said village.
Local druid's circle decides to see if these semi-demon infants can be raised to civilization. She's the first of them to venture out of their village since the attack.
However, she's clearly going to have to hide what she is and where she's from. Legends say the village is cursed - to the point where even river traffic that passes by has stopped and re-routed over land to bypass the place.

KitsuneKionchi
2009-10-25, 02:33 PM
Ghost Master of the Unseen Hand. Little creepy gothy girl who tosses coins at people in swarm-like-quantanties and telepathically swings them into nets of the stuff to add them to her collection and sell them off as slaves later.

We always get at least one lawful good guy who is always against this idea :P

And I can't do the voice of a little girl very well...

Aldizog
2009-10-26, 01:44 PM
This guy:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/williamsstreet/images/thumb/4/41/Nathan_Explosion.jpg/200px-Nathan_Explosion.jpg

Would have to be a game that was serious to hold together for a while (I like taking PCs up from 1), but silly enough to allow the METAL BARD.

Pika...
2009-10-26, 02:00 PM
Anything below a Quadrone (Or whatever they are called) would suck IMO;
"Can only do one/two/three thought(s) at a time" seems to be a bit limiting.

I can definetely get behind the idea of playing a modron though.

According to the Dragon issue "While a monodrone or duadrone would be unplayable to all but the most devoted players...", so this just makes it even more of a challenge for me. Plus, the roleplaying opportunity would be fun. Imagine how well I can get on the other PCs'/players' nerves. :smallbiggrin:

FlyingWhale
2009-10-26, 05:02 PM
I've always wanted to play a spellcrafter. I mean, I'd love to tweak things like... Portable Hole, some sort of crazy Gust of Wind, maybe Haste... Craft Wondrous Item... BAM! BEARZOOKA!!! Ahh... This sillyness is what all true gamers strive for...

:smallsmile:

Starbuck_II
2009-10-26, 05:10 PM
A Cleric with Ooze (or Slime domain) Thrall of Jubilex 3.

Basically a Slime Mage. Slime spells, summons slime (From Thrall), etc.

I was thinking of getting a Gellantinous cubes with +1 Bluesteel armor (so acid wouldn't melt it) and call him my Slime Knight.
Use Turn Ooze on him to command him. Need 8 HD, but I love the idea of a Slime Knight.