PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #686 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2009-10-19, 05:54 PM
New comic is up.

Also, for those interested in OOTS merchandise, you should check out the news story about Ookoodook.com (http://www.ookoodook.com). There will probably be a new banner in my signature about it later tonight, too.

Guancyto
2009-10-19, 05:55 PM
Aww, Haley's concerned!

Nice throwback to a sand dune an old moment, too.

Shas aia Toriia
2009-10-19, 05:55 PM
Excellent work, as usual. Glad you're still doing this! :smallbiggrin:
I think its the title that really does it for me.

Logalmier
2009-10-19, 05:56 PM
Yay! New comic! Of course, the other difference is that Roy isn't also a bazzilion feet of the ground...:smallamused:

EDIT: Doh, of course that's what the title meant.

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-19, 05:56 PM
Heehee. Yes, that's just the lesson to take away from that experience! :smallbiggrin:

EleventhHour
2009-10-19, 05:57 PM
Roy, keeps on falling, falling, falling ... into the future...

:smalltongue:

(Yay, silly Roy jokes.)

FoE
Awesome little bit of heroism on Roy's part. :smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
(Enters sarcasm Mode)

Har Har Har very funny.

(Exit Sarcasm Mode)

CoffeeIncluded
2009-10-19, 05:59 PM
Hooray!

Well, at least he's learning from his mistakes...

Salty
Heh, nice to see Roy cracking jokes again.

And being a hero too. That's always awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Issabella
an Important lesson learned!

Dark Faun
Awesome little bit of heroism on Roy's part. :smallbiggrin:
I agree. Go Roy! :smalltongue:

And I love OotS's header at ookoodook.com. :smallbiggrin:

Tyrael
2009-10-19, 06:00 PM
Ahhh, good old Roy. Good to have him back.

Assassin89
2009-10-19, 06:02 PM
I think Roy is humorous with his remark towards the sand, but I am sure that although sand is not as hard as the ground, it would still hurt, but the damage would be minor.

chiasaur11
2009-10-19, 06:02 PM
Roy's really desperate for punchlines if he's willing to risk his life for one.

I mean, giant beetles aren't zombie dragons, but...

Project_Mayhem
2009-10-19, 06:03 PM
Oooh, a pleasant distraction from my essay

deuxhero
2009-10-19, 06:07 PM
Ground is softer, good to see there is still humor in the group.

ocdscale
2009-10-19, 06:08 PM
Odds on that wound turning out to be Haley's father?

Tobimaro
2009-10-19, 06:08 PM
Glad to see that Roy has not given up on being the hero. He just needs to keep it closer to the ground. Or at least get a magic item that allows him to either fly or feather fall. :smallbiggrin:

Teutonic Knight
2009-10-19, 06:15 PM
What would have been also was to see a similar jump with sunlight in the background as Roy leaped onto the back of the beetle.

Blue Ghost
2009-10-19, 06:15 PM
Has Roy ever shown that face before (in the last panel)? Isn't that the face that Thog usually uses?
I just found it interesting, since Roy's usually so serious.

AshDesert
2009-10-19, 06:17 PM
Roy should seriously consider investing in some Winged Boots if he's going to keep jumping on moving monsters.

X2
2009-10-19, 06:18 PM
Decent!:smallsmile:

7/10

Crafty Cultist
2009-10-19, 06:18 PM
roy seems to have learned from experience, but he wouldn't be a heroe if he wasn't reckless:smallbiggrin:

Aethir
2009-10-19, 06:19 PM
That was such an Elan thing for Roy to say.

Still funny though.

TehSheen
2009-10-19, 06:21 PM
Roy, that was amazing. Also, nice uncommon punchline for Roy to say.

AlterForm
2009-10-19, 06:22 PM
Always worth the wait. I just love hitting my link to the site and going "Ooh, new OotS!" :smallbiggrin:

WWBelkarD
2009-10-19, 06:23 PM
The joke had to be made sometime :smallsmile:

shadowxknight
2009-10-19, 06:23 PM
Haha, good comic like always. :smallbiggrin:

Kroy
2009-10-19, 06:25 PM
Haha! I love OOTS. This is one of those comics that says this story will always have humor, as well as plot.

silvadel
2009-10-19, 06:26 PM
Liability Suit from the offices of Mr. Jones.

You are hereby served by the Wife of Un-named Grey Haired guy who was being taken for slavery by Thri-Kreen. At the time of being cut loose he had a negative number of hit points but was stable and breathing. When the sack hit the ground however he ceased to be living. We demand damages under section 5.7.4 of the Desert Criminal Code.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-19, 06:27 PM
I needed that to refresh me so I can finish this Senior Sem paper. Thanks Giant.
I haven't loved at a comic so much before. Glad to see Roy learned something. Although, he needs better AC.

Kaytara
2009-10-19, 06:28 PM
Roy's smile in the last panel felt oddly surreal and Elan-ish to me. :smalleek:

Loved it, though. I'm enjoying these almost gag-a-day (well, several days, or a week) type strips. Remind me of the good old days. Not that I was here for those.

Seriously, Haley? "Track it back to its hive"? Sure, a sidequest involving cleaning out an entire underground hive is exactly what they all need right now in the midst of their world-saving quest. XD

Nice to see Roy being heroic. :D

deuxhero
2009-10-19, 06:28 PM
Wonder if sand+wound is going to hurt.

Oh, the link in the news artical (but not the top of the thread) seems borked.

Bibliomancer
2009-10-19, 06:35 PM
Good to see the Order of the Stick follows normal world rules for balance, not DnD rules for bull rushing.

Silverraptor
2009-10-19, 06:38 PM
Nice one Roy!

So I guess it's now Roy 2: Ground 1.

Trobby
2009-10-19, 06:40 PM
...Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to say this, but I think I'll be the first to say it in this thread.

I think that ever since Roy came back from the dead, he's been throwing a lot of his usual caution to the wind. Normally, he would only risk this sort of crazy maneuver to something that was totally, utterly necessary. They could track the giant beetle, they could do all sorts of other things to have stopped them, and his immediate reaction is just to jump up, slash the net open, and get cut up in the process.

Granted, it was exactly what they needed at the moment, but he just seems a bit too...eager to jump into the fray. I think maybe his time in heaven has skewed his understanding of his own mortality.

AutomatedTeller
2009-10-19, 06:44 PM
huh. my reaction was "meh"

I dunno - just wasn't all that funny to me.

Still, new OOTS is better than no new OOTS ;)

TriForce
2009-10-19, 06:45 PM
id like to mention, like another poster, that i love the truly "funny" strips that dont really advance any story in general :) just some light humor is exactly what i love to see, thanks giant!

Berserk Monk
2009-10-19, 06:49 PM
That was a surprising Elan thing of Roy to say.:smallconfused: Also, this better not turn into a sideplot involving the rescue of that guy cause they already rescued a person from monsters.

Elfey
2009-10-19, 06:51 PM
New comic is up.

Also, for those interested in OOTS merchandise, you should check out the news story about Ookoodook.com (http://www.ookoodook.com). There will probably be a new banner in my signature about it later tonight, too.

Bad link on main page.

Aystra
2009-10-19, 06:55 PM
No, don't open your mouth, Roy! Sand is nasty.

Terminalchaos
2009-10-19, 06:58 PM
...Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to say this, but I think I'll be the first to say it in this thread.

I think that ever since Roy came back from the dead, he's been throwing a lot of his usual caution to the wind. Normally, he would only risk this sort of crazy maneuver to something that was totally, utterly necessary. They could track the giant beetle, they could do all sorts of other things to have stopped them, and his immediate reaction is just to jump up, slash the net open, and get cut up in the process.

Granted, it was exactly what they needed at the moment, but he just seems a bit too...eager to jump into the fray. I think maybe his time in heaven has skewed his understanding of his own mortality.

You could say that it was overly impetuous of Roy and I will agree that there are other (possible) means of freeing the victims from slavery but it isn't out of character at all for a GOOD character to risk themselves to save someone from the horrors of slavery. If hesitation meant the chance those poor victims would be condemned to a horrid torturous life then jumping into the fray may be a worthy or calculated risk.

I will agree that his attitude has changed and he seems more easygoing and at peace now that he has gone beyond and returned. Perhaps his Elanesque grin was a sign of some inner peace his soul has found from the recent spiritual journey.

Trai
2009-10-19, 07:01 PM
Rule #17, Roy: Don't be a hero!

ThePhantasm
2009-10-19, 07:07 PM
I guess all those who said Roy lost his sense of humor post-resurrection just got their argument nipped in the bud.

This wasn't a bad strip. I like the more laid back pace right now. Don't know about you guys, my life has enough hustle and bustle at the moment. I'm glad OOTS has cast off some of its plot angst for a bit and is giving us some comic relief.

Sewblon
2009-10-19, 07:08 PM
Its good to see Roy get to do something again, but he is only funny when he doesn't intend to be.

theinsulabot
2009-10-19, 07:09 PM
good on ya roy, nice to see an actual hero back in action again

Menas
2009-10-19, 07:14 PM
Imho I didn't think Roy was risking that much with his Heroic maneuver. He only had one hash mark (appeared to only have been wounded once) prior to jumping on the bug.

Damage from combat prior to jumping on the bug + dmg from being attacked while freeing the humans (one attack) + fall damage = nothing that should be of any consequence to a fighter at Roy's hypothetical level.

What they gained was saving all the captives plus potentially being able to avoid going to the hive which is quite a lot compared to the damage he risked.

I really enjoyed the humor and the moral of the story also - way to only jump on mounts that are on the ground Roy woot!!!

David Argall
2009-10-19, 07:20 PM
Roy seems to have learned from his dumb mistake just about what the rest of us learn from ours, make them in a slightly less stupid way next time.

esmerelder
2009-10-19, 07:23 PM
*gasp* Is that... Roy taking needless risks and then making silly jokes about it, while Haley and Elan stand by looking worried and cross?!?! Ahaha, the oversized boot is on the other foot at last! Hilarious role reversal, *and* an excellent demonstration of how far all three of them have come since the old dungeon days.

The MunchKING
2009-10-19, 07:33 PM
Roy's really desperate for punchlines if he's willing to risk his life for one.

I mean, giant beetles aren't zombie dragons, but...

He's a fighter. He should have the Hp to totally laugh off a spear shot in the gut and a fall of all of 2 feet into sand.

DnDgeek13
Good lesson to learn too.

Prowl
Meh. I'd rather wait longer for the next comic and get something more thought out. Today's really looks like filler - doesn't advance the story at all, and the only thing even close to resembling a joke requires the reader to remember something from 150 strips earlier. When do we get to the good parts again?

Porthos
2009-10-19, 07:36 PM
Meh. I'd rather wait longer for the next comic and get something more thought out. Today's really looks like filler - doesn't advance the story at all, and the only thing even close to resembling a joke requires the reader to remember something from 150 strips earlier. When do we get to the good parts again?

Funny is, like many things, in the eye of the beholder. I personally thought this one was a good strip.

Besides, they're not all going to be classics now are they? :smalltongue:

mescaLEO
2009-10-19, 07:38 PM
Reminded me of Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow over Mystara, the coin op game.
The first stage had Goblins carrying away civilians, that screamed "help, help!"
(lower left corner, in the picture)
http://ui04.gamefaqs.com/2275/gfs_45443_2_1.jpg

archon_huskie
2009-10-19, 07:54 PM
Its good to see Roy get to do something again, but he is only funny when he doesn't intend to be. Wait, Belkar saved someone from the slavers, but Roy didn't, so Belkar is apparently now a more effective hero than Roy... Run away!

You should read comic #686 where Roy saves three people by leaping onto the back of a giant bug and cutting the net holding them with his sword.

Pip
2009-10-19, 07:59 PM
So at the first opportunity Roy 'jumped back on the horse'. :smallbiggrin:

Question, did Belker ever get his ring of +20 jumping back from Roy?

veti
2009-10-19, 08:02 PM
"Track down their hive"? What is Haley smoking (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0213.html)?

Blaznak
2009-10-19, 08:04 PM
Okaaaaaay......

Sotris
2009-10-19, 08:07 PM
The first stage had Goblins carrying away civilians, that screamed "help, help!"
http://ui04.gamefaqs.com/2275/gfs_45443_2_1.jpgYeah, and if you managed to break a cart, they'd say "thank you" and go away.

Man, I'd spent a LOT of coins in that game.

Dvandemon
2009-10-19, 08:09 PM
"Track down their hive"? What is Haley smoking (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0213.html)?

What do you mean

esmerelder
2009-10-19, 08:17 PM
What do you mean

That the party is kinda short -- hurr -- on decent trackers.

*flees for dear life, as is the only sensible option after making a joke about Belkar's height*

The_Weirdo
2009-10-19, 08:22 PM

*flees for dear life, as is the only sensible option after making a joke about Belkar's height*

It's a bit like making a joke about Chuck Norris' sexuality...

Acero
2009-10-19, 08:29 PM
that was pretty funny. not the best joke ever, but pretty funny...

HOLEkevin
2009-10-19, 08:33 PM
I love it when Roy gets to be heroic.

Draz74
2009-10-19, 08:40 PM

And also, as V says, "we can't afford to divert our save-the-world quest to track down a few petty brigands."

Mr. Pin
2009-10-19, 08:45 PM
meh. I'm not all that impressed with this comic. usually I'm the first to lavish praise, but this one doesn't strike me as particularly funny or epic. oh well. gotta have one of those every so often.

Iago
2009-10-19, 08:45 PM
...ever since Roy came back from the dead, he's been throwing a lot of his usual caution to the wind. Normally, he would only risk this sort of crazy maneuver to something that was totally, utterly necessary. They could track the giant beetle, they could do all sorts of other things to have stopped them, and his immediate reaction is just to jump up, slash the net open, and get cut up in the process.

No, it's just like what the Oracle said, XP don't earn itself....

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0571.html

Elfin
2009-10-19, 08:46 PM
Glad to see Roy back in action.

Porthos
2009-10-19, 08:48 PM

I think that ever since Roy came back from the dead, he's been throwing a lot of his usual caution to the wind.

Could you please show me where else Roy has "thrown caution to the wind" since coming back to life?

Coz I sure don't remember any comics where he did so recently. :smallsmile:

Aldrakan
2009-10-19, 08:59 PM
I think that ever since Roy came back from the dead, he's been throwing a lot of his usual caution to the wind ... Granted, it was exactly what they needed at the moment, but he just seems a bit too...eager to jump into the fray. I think maybe his time in heaven has skewed his understanding of his own mortality.

Personally I'd say he's just in a good mood. OotS doesn't exactly specialize in level-appropriate encounters and it doesn't seem like this is much of a threat to them. He's probably happy to be alive and doing something again.

Larkspur
2009-10-19, 09:07 PM
This strip is a perfect example of why it's important for Roy to be the straight man and leave the comedy to Elan and Belkar. It's like it was written specifically to refute that "Roy is too serious" thread.

Brendan
2009-10-19, 09:11 PM
I loved how proud he was to have earned his lesson for monsters. Rich is Brillient.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-19, 09:56 PM

Same thing happen to Buffy after she came back to life the first time on Buffy: the Vampire Slayer (from drowning).
I wonder if coming back from the dead and being less cautious is a TV trope.

Pilot3lite
2009-10-19, 10:03 PM
This strip is a perfect example of why it's important for Roy to be the straight man and leave the comedy to Elan and Belkar. It's like it was written specifically to refute that "Roy is too serious" thread.

I 100% agree and I wanted to post something like this in that thread, but I didn't want to look like a jerk.

Atronach
2009-10-19, 10:09 PM
Is Roy really being to serious when he is being cautious, and trying to lead a somewhat incompetent party?

AxeD
2009-10-19, 10:33 PM
Loved the comic! Twas a bit short, but still great. I hope Roy makes Jumping into danger a reoccuring theme. Uh.. not that I want him dead or anything, it's just that "leaping into danger" kinda epitomises heroic behaviour.

I wonder if Roy has any ranks in Jump. Anyone know if that sort of jump can be easily accomplished by someone with no ranks in jump?

Also, since I brought up the topic of rule mechanics, how the heck did Roy manage to catch up to that bug? I mean, I have no idea of what that beetle monster is, but from the look of things, it should be at least as fast, if not faster than Roy.

Shale
2009-10-19, 10:39 PM
It was burrowing. That takes time and doesn't involve much forward movement.

Cracklord
2009-10-19, 10:41 PM
Now that is comedy gold.

Or maybe, your reading too much into this.

Zedd
2009-10-19, 10:49 PM
meh. I'm not all that impressed with this comic. usually I'm the first to lavish praise, but this one doesn't strike me as particularly funny or epic. oh well. gotta have one of those every so often.

Same here. I understand that even the best of writers have days below their talents, and I assume this is the case.

Don't get me wrong: I'll be the first to point out that OotS is one of the best webcomics out there on many criteria (and the probably the best one overall), but, aside advancing the plot a bit, this is not an epic or funny comic.

Anyways, every other time such comics have appeared, so far, they were followed by the normal dosage of awesomeness of the overall OotS.

Shale
2009-10-19, 11:04 PM
The comic felt like the first part of a two- or three-pager. Not much happened, narratively, even for a webcomic. You can see that Roy's happy to be back in the game, though, which is nice.

Also, mescaLEO, Sortis, please spoiler-tag that image. It breaks the page and that's annoying.

KBF
2009-10-19, 11:21 PM
I hate to say it, but this comic was kind of disappointing.

It's just that OoTs has such high standards at this point that I guess I feel let down when it's just a kind of lame gag. I can't help but feel the execution would have been better if that was the immediate setup to the real punchline. It just felt.. Lacking.

Martok
2009-10-19, 11:27 PM
That was such an Elan thing for Roy to say.
Heh. That was my thought as well.

I wonder if this is a sign that Roy might be a little less the "straight man" all the time, or if it's just a one-time deal?

Selene
2009-10-19, 11:29 PM
They could track the giant beetle, they could do all sorts of other things to have stopped them

Sorry. I'm with Kaytara on this one:

Seriously, Haley? "Track it back to its hive"? Sure, a sidequest involving cleaning out an entire underground hive is exactly what they all need right now in the midst of their world-saving quest. XD

Yeah, really! How the hell is anyone supposed to remember such a minor plot point as how the leader of the party ended up dead for a whole book? Jeez.

Same thing happen to Buffy after she came back to life the first time on Buffy: the Vampire Slayer (from drowning).

If he dies again, do we get OotS: The Musical? :smallbiggrin:

Giggling Ghast
2009-10-19, 11:54 PM
Rule #17, Roy: Don't be a hero!

Heh. Just got the reference. :smallbiggrin:

I think Roy is a pretty cool guy. eh kills beatles and doesn't afraid of anything

Haven
2009-10-20, 12:35 AM
I liked this one; Roy was cute in it, and it's good to see him happy for once.

Half-Orc Rage
2009-10-20, 12:44 AM
Initially I thought of the deal with Xykon too, but like Roy said, it's a lot less of a risk. Plus this time it was sacrificing a few hp to directly save people, so that works. I agree that it was not the best OoTS ever, but I'm happy just to see it update.

Turkish Delight
2009-10-20, 12:53 AM
Pfftt. I don't mind being thrown a bone, but gimme one with some more plot meat on it. I like my OotS funny and plot-advancing.

Maybe have Haley find out in the last panel that the giant bug is actually her father polymorphed, forcing her to choose between rescuing the innocent children and protecting her giant bug-father from Roy! *cue dramatic music*

HandofShadows
2009-10-20, 12:55 AM
A cheerfull Roy getting to save someone. Very nice to see.

jidasfire
2009-10-20, 01:21 AM
Yeah, kinda funny. I was just saying in another thread how I missed the Roy who was a truly good guy and wasn't completely lost in his own web of sarcasm. It's nice to see that Roy back. Hopefully it will be a trend.

Killer Angel
2009-10-20, 01:32 AM

Well, maybe it's not a TV trope: Roy is a PC, so when you are a player, your pc has died and you missed a LOT of adventures, when the time has come to play again, you wanna enter in some action asap...

Edhelras
2009-10-20, 01:38 AM
Shouldn't that bug with a reach weapon have been able to ready his weapon against a charge, and got an attack on Roy before he was able to cut the net?

El_Frenchie
2009-10-20, 01:40 AM
'Tis the triumphant return of the dirt farmer dude (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0218.html).

derfenrirwolv
2009-10-20, 01:52 AM
houldn't that bug with a reach weapon have been able to ready his weapon against a charge, and got an attack on Roy before he was able to cut the net?

Possibly, or the bug had used his action to hop on and got roy with an attack of opportunity when he technically sundered the weapon someone else was holding.

Although in 3.5 core there's no way to move someone with a normal reach weapon... wonder if those bugs have one of the fancy 4.0 fighter abilities that let you move people around with a spear.

torgum
2009-10-20, 02:29 AM
yeah... this just has to be a great day. New strip and a good one ;)
Rolling down the sandhill !

RMS Oceanic
2009-10-20, 02:52 AM
Shouldn't that bug with a reach weapon have been able to ready his weapon against a charge, and got an attack on Roy before he was able to cut the net?

Just because we know he can do it doesn't mean he knows.

I think Roy enjoyed this fight. After almost a year of inaction it must be nice to actually do some good. If he is mellowing out as well, more power to him.

see
2009-10-20, 03:37 AM
I think maybe his time in heaven has skewed his understanding of his own mortality.

Skewed? Remember the revolving door?

Death in this circumstance (no body annihilation, no soul bind, with a cleric who can cast Raise Dead a few feet away, enemy already fleeing) is annoying because you lose a level, but you're up and on your feet again in less than 24 hours. It's roughly as momentous as a sprained ankle is in real life. And the death itself is still pretty unlikely.

pjackson
2009-10-20, 04:13 AM
Although in 3.5 core there's no way to move someone with a normal reach weapon

Eh? You are not limited to the options given in the books in any edition (before 4.0 any way). You can try anything that seems reasonable and the DM uses the rules to help determine what happens. In the example in the strip Roy is on uncertain footing so it is reasonable for the DM to ask for a balance check whenever somethig that might disturb his balance happens, such as being hit.

pjackson
2009-10-20, 04:15 AM

Yes - but probably the bug readied an action to attack Roy if Roy attacked him.
By attacking the net Roy wouldn't have got close enough to trigger the readied action.

Shepard4711
2009-10-20, 04:36 AM
Where did Haley's and Elan's wounds disappear to in the last two panels? Seems to be an unlikely time to think about healing...

Omegonthesane
2009-10-20, 05:30 AM
Where did Haley's and Elan's wounds disappear to in the last two panels? Seems to be an unlikely time to think about healing...

Probably the Pit of Things Rich Forgot to Draw, like Roy's head wounds in the last two panels and Xykon's damage from Empowered Sunburst in the splice arc (well, that's been fixed now, but still).

Aldrakan
2009-10-20, 05:31 AM

Oh wow, I remember playing that in an arcade. I don't remember the graphics being that primitive of course, but it has been over 10 years. Had to look it up to make sure it was the same one.

Well thank you for resurrecting that forgotten bit of my childhood.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-20, 05:34 AM
'Tis the triumphant return of the dirt farmer dude (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0218.html).

I thought it was, but then again though "No, it can't be, that's just another old dude."

Maybe he has propered and moved up to sand farming.

Or, dare I say it, moisture farming?

EDIT: And Elan could have healed him and Haley, as they managed to put their weapons away.

Shepard4711
2009-10-20, 05:46 AM
Probably the Pit of Things Rich Forgot to Draw, like Roy's head wounds in the last two panels and Xykon's damage from Empowered Sunburst in the splice arc (well, that's been fixed now, but still).

The wound on his head is on the other side though and just can't be seen in the last two panels. But yeah, I guess that's the reason. :-)

TheJayPhoenix
2009-10-20, 06:17 AM
First of all I LOVE this name - Ookoodook.com :)

Now, as for the strip itself does anyone else see a conflict for leadership coming between Hayley and Roy?

Klose_the_Sith
2009-10-20, 06:24 AM
Awww, Roy was ... cute? O:

Kiayateo
2009-10-20, 07:12 AM
It wasn't that risky. Besides, with him being at least a level lower than the rest of the party he has to get some bonus xp to make up the difference by doing totally irrational, but awesome things. Good comic.

And I don't actually see a conflict for leadership coming up, more of the fact that Haley doesn't want to (or doesn't think she can) lead so she's jumping on his case a little more than usual. Though it could be because she's out of diamonds for the resurrection spell.

factotum
2009-10-20, 07:13 AM
Now, as for the strip itself does anyone else see a conflict for leadership coming between Hayley and Roy?

No, because Haley's already had a taste of what it's like to be leader when she was travelling with Celia and Belkar, and I don't think she enjoyed the experience much.

Sijo
2009-10-20, 07:45 AM
Wow, I think this has been the only strip (of the new Book) that I've enjoyed 100%. Ok, what Roy did was foolish, but he acted like a HERO, AND he succeeded, dammit! :smallbiggrin: While this *could* be a bad hint of things to come (conflicts between Roy and Haley, Roy committing a rash mistake) right now I'm just going to enjoy the moment. :smallsmile:

AstralFire
2009-10-20, 08:07 AM
I don't believe Shortspears are reach weapons - the bug could have been 2HF-ing a shortspear.

Also, it's nice to see Roy being heroic again. :)

Captain Alien
2009-10-20, 08:34 AM
I don't find out of place an overconfident, badass, heroic Roy. I just find it amazing: I love when Roy does something like that.

About the punchline? Well, he has been a bit different since he was raised. More optimistic, you know. I think it makes sense at all.

I love that game.

I love it when Roy gets to be heroic.

Exactly. Some of the best moments of the comic were Xykon's "death" at Dorukan's dungeon, Miko Miyazaki's beat at the throne room and, of course, the suicidal jump to the back of the zombie dragon.

Roy is made to be a hero.

Ikialev
2009-10-20, 09:22 AM
This comic has not filled me, two dialogs and one short action scene is not enough. :F

the_tick_rules
2009-10-20, 10:02 AM
Oh Roy, what are we gonna do with you?

rewinn
2009-10-20, 10:05 AM

It's quite appropriate for the 2nd-in-command to tell the Commander that he'd taken an excessive personal risk.

Not that Kirk ever listened ...

Optimystik
2009-10-20, 11:35 AM
Decent filler... and I'm also glad we didn't end up hip-deep in a bug extermination sidequest.

Of course, we still might if the right former captive cries about a missing relative loudly enough...

Omergideon
2009-10-20, 11:43 AM
Well, this comic has been refreshing and good for me. Now as a (sort of) Roy fanboy I am always heppy when he is centre stage, so prepare for that to colour my review. However I do think it was not the best comic. Well here goes.

Good:
1) On the artwork, again the backgrounds are exquisite, characters good etc, but the floating sand/dust effect is superbly done too. It gives the right impression without obscuring the action falling on just the right edge of subtlety. As one example look at panel 5. The dust trail behind Roy gives a great sense of movement and is actually realistic too. Very nice indeed.
2) Following a few episodes detailing and focusing on Elan, V and Belkar we get a good focus on Roy and some well realised Haley interactions too. Roy appears to have become more contemplative outside of battle, but has not lost his impetuous nature within it. Anyone who accuses him of becoming reckless need only recall a certain fight with Xykon to be put right. He always was somewhat. The strip clearly shows this trait, as well as his willingness to sacrifice himself for others. And the joke at the end, well it's either relief at saving people or his own survival. It could be that knowing death is nothing to fear for him he now is less affected by it. The whole thing has been on his mind recently. Oh, and Roy is a Hero. It's what he does.
3) A seperate bit for the Haley analysis. She is terrified of losing Roy again, and it shows. She cannot say she missed him (she does not share feelings easily) but it shows. I think she knows she is not the leader Roy is and dreads the responsibility, plus they are good friends. Probably her best friend in the order is Roy (Elan is her boyfriend so it doesn't count) and so she worries more about him and doesn;t want to be bereft a second time. All in all some wonderful character interactions there.
4) My favourite minor note must be Elan's little smile in the final panel. It is in character, sweet and so.......Elan i have to mention it. One of the best little touches in recent weeks.
5) I mention it in the Roy segment, but I truly enjoy watching characters do heroic things in this comic. It just makes me feel good to see it.
6) The continuity callback in the composing of the leaping shot (panel 5) and the reference at the end, along with the title, is also a nice touch for continuity hounds like myself.

The Bad:
1) There is no really strong punchline. Whilst the last panel is a good coda for the scene, and reveals much in the characterisation it is a relatively weak joke. Diverting but it raises no more than a smile. Granted that is Roylike in a sense but it is still a weakness.
2) The action is short and not especially inspiring beyond the first leap. Not that it is bad, just not that great. Combined with the first problem it becomes a major weak spot in the comic. Without good humour, we need good dialogue or action to keep it up to par. The character studies are good and all, but they need context to be at their best.
3) In-comic continuity error with Elan and Haley's wounds. Roy's are all in place and correctly drawn (including the chest wound partly obscured by dust) or accounted for. But the other's injuries just dissapear. Not a large point but a distracting one.

So to summarise. This was another comic (like the last couple) a little short on humour but strong on characterisation. Whilst it makes them interesting and enjoyable to read (for me) this does not make them as entertaining. And without a strong finish for the comic it falls a little compared to recent weeks. And I say this whilst truly adoring the fact Roy is back in action and being his heroic badass self.

Final score, 3.5 stars. A good comic, but needing a stronger finish to work. However being OoTS this score still means a good comic, just compared to others a little weaker. The inclusion of little touches such as Elan's smile pull it above 3 stars.

Roderick_BR
2009-10-20, 11:47 AM
Who said old fighters don't learn new tricks?:smallbiggrin:

Doug Lampert
2009-10-20, 11:58 AM
Eh? You are not limited to the options given in the books in any edition (before 4.0 any way).
Fourth ed only limits you to whats in the books in that rule 0 is still in the books. Which ALSO give DCs and damages for improvised attacks to do things like shove someone back with a weapon when they're on poor footing and you don't have an appropriate power. Actually FAR more support for that sort of thing than any previous edition.

Hrairoo
2009-10-20, 12:09 PM
Wow, it's pretty obvious that Roy has lost some experience upon being rezzed...

Shale
2009-10-20, 12:48 PM
How so? One level up or down doesn't havea whole lot to do with making vs. missing a single balance check.

Hatu
2009-10-20, 01:13 PM
Yeah, kinda funny. I was just saying in another thread how I missed the Roy who was a truly good guy and wasn't completely lost in his own web of sarcasm. It's nice to see that Roy back. Hopefully it will be a trend.

Indeed. Roy makes the comic work both in terms of narrative and comedy; it's good to have him back.

-H

Ichneumon
2009-10-20, 03:57 PM
It's nice to have the characters just fighting random encounters and working together again after the last story arc.

Trai
2009-10-20, 04:12 PM
Heh. Just got the reference. :smallbiggrin:

I was hoping someone would. :smallwink:

AyuVince
2009-10-20, 06:03 PM
Oh Roy, you big damn hero. We've missed your do-goodery. :smallwink:

Calmness
2009-10-20, 06:17 PM
Heheh. 18 intelligence and Roy still ends up charging at things like every other fighter does. Daddy must be proud. :smallbiggrin:

Shatteredtower
2009-10-20, 06:18 PM
Well, that didn't make me laugh at all.

It made me smile, which I needed more anyway. Thank you, Giant. There was just something good about seeing Roy make light of his previous demise after a (much less nasty) tumble.

Or maybe he's just a Sandy Duncan fan.

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-20, 08:23 PM
Three panels worth of roy falling?? you couldnt have him going all legolas and cutting up the bad guys on the back first? like at least have him take out one or two mooks before getting smacked down
shouldve been WAY more action heavy

bluewind95
2009-10-20, 09:55 PM
I dunno, I kind of liked all those panels of Roy falling. I mean, first the ouch-kind-of-face, then the somersault and the oh-no-kind-of-face and then him smacking his face on the dirt. I liked that. Him just falling on his buttocks in one panel just wouldn't have worked so nicely, especially not to reference the fall to his death way back then.

Dvandemon
2009-10-20, 10:04 PM
I hate to say it, but this comic was kind of disappointing.

It's just that OoTs has such high standards at this point that I guess I feel let down when it's just a kind of lame gag. I can't help but feel the execution would have been better if that was the immediate setup to the real punchline. It just felt.. Lacking.

I also felt that it was lacking something and Roy was oddly Elan-like, but i'm glad to see the comic back up. I'm looking forward to the western continent and looking forward to speculation:smallbiggrin:

Shatteredtower
2009-10-20, 11:19 PM
Three panels worth of roy falling??

It wouldn't be a good "Here we go again," gag (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html) if it didn't have at least three panels.

At least this time, Roy succeeded where it mattered to him: in protecting those who can't defend themselves. According to him, that's why he became a fighter.

HealthKit
2009-10-21, 12:09 AM
"I learned to do it where the ground is softer!"

Really?

Meh.

Kish
2009-10-21, 12:23 AM
Three panels worth of roy falling?? you couldnt have him going all legolas and cutting up the bad guys on the back first? like at least have him take out one or two mooks before getting smacked down
shouldve been WAY more action heavy
You seem to have Roy confused with Belkar. Cutting the slaves free was the point. Once they were all free, he might not have even tried to attack any of the insects if a convenient exit from the riding bug had presented itself.

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-21, 07:46 AM
well fine but ive never know roy to shy from killing mooks and we didnt even get to see belkar killing those bugs
it sure dont tune in for action but id like to see some of it in a fight scene thats just me

Selene
2009-10-21, 08:57 AM
You seem to have Roy confused with Belkar. Cutting the slaves free was the point. Once they were all free, he might not have even tried to attack any of the insects if a convenient exit from the riding bug had presented itself.

Agreed. In fact, AFAICT he didn't actually swing at the bug dude. It looks to me like the guy speared Roy right after he cut the people free.

stevekgoodwin
2009-10-22, 02:14 AM
:smallsmile: I love panel #9, Roy tumbling, limbs akimbo. It's delightfully dynamic.

Edit: ooh! Teaser promo for next book on http://www.ookoodook.com. Yay!

Tundar
2009-10-22, 02:42 PM
It's all just little bits of history repeating itself :smallbiggrin:

Prowl
2009-10-22, 10:29 PM
Well, this comic has been refreshing and good for me. Now as a (sort of) Roy fanboy I am always heppy when he is centre stage, so prepare for that to colour my review. However I do think it was not the best comic. Well here goes.

Good:
1) On the artwork, again the backgrounds are exquisite, characters good etc, but the floating sand/dust effect is superbly done too. It gives the right impression without obscuring the action falling on just the right edge of subtlety. As one example look at panel 5. The dust trail behind Roy gives a great sense of movement and is actually realistic too. Very nice indeed.
2) Following a few episodes detailing and focusing on Elan, V and Belkar we get a good focus on Roy and some well realised Haley interactions too. Roy appears to have become more contemplative outside of battle, but has not lost his impetuous nature within it. Anyone who accuses him of becoming reckless need only recall a certain fight with Xykon to be put right. He always was somewhat. The strip clearly shows this trait, as well as his willingness to sacrifice himself for others. And the joke at the end, well it's either relief at saving people or his own survival. It could be that knowing death is nothing to fear for him he now is less affected by it. The whole thing has been on his mind recently. Oh, and Roy is a Hero. It's what he does.
3) A seperate bit for the Haley analysis. She is terrified of losing Roy again, and it shows. She cannot say she missed him (she does not share feelings easily) but it shows. I think she knows she is not the leader Roy is and dreads the responsibility, plus they are good friends. Probably her best friend in the order is Roy (Elan is her boyfriend so it doesn't count) and so she worries more about him and doesn;t want to be bereft a second time. All in all some wonderful character interactions there.
4) My favourite minor note must be Elan's little smile in the final panel. It is in character, sweet and so.......Elan i have to mention it. One of the best little touches in recent weeks.
5) I mention it in the Roy segment, but I truly enjoy watching characters do heroic things in this comic. It just makes me feel good to see it.
6) The continuity callback in the composing of the leaping shot (panel 5) and the reference at the end, along with the title, is also a nice touch for continuity hounds like myself.

The Bad:
1) There is no really strong punchline. Whilst the last panel is a good coda for the scene, and reveals much in the characterisation it is a relatively weak joke. Diverting but it raises no more than a smile. Granted that is Roylike in a sense but it is still a weakness.
2) The action is short and not especially inspiring beyond the first leap. Not that it is bad, just not that great. Combined with the first problem it becomes a major weak spot in the comic. Without good humour, we need good dialogue or action to keep it up to par. The character studies are good and all, but they need context to be at their best.
3) In-comic continuity error with Elan and Haley's wounds. Roy's are all in place and correctly drawn (including the chest wound partly obscured by dust) or accounted for. But the other's injuries just dissapear. Not a large point but a distracting one.

So to summarise. This was another comic (like the last couple) a little short on humour but strong on characterisation. Whilst it makes them interesting and enjoyable to read (for me) this does not make them as entertaining. And without a strong finish for the comic it falls a little compared to recent weeks. And I say this whilst truly adoring the fact Roy is back in action and being his heroic badass self.

Final score, 3.5 stars. A good comic, but needing a stronger finish to work. However being OoTS this score still means a good comic, just compared to others a little weaker. The inclusion of little touches such as Elan's smile pull it above 3 stars.

Dude, you put more work into that post than Rich put into the comic you're commenting on!

Puns de León
2009-10-22, 11:14 PM
The punchline makes it feel like an Archie Comics sort of strip, but it's acceptable filler and deals with a few things at once, like Roy's readiness for battle - good to see there are no psychological side-effects having to do with heroic leaping - and Haley's take on her recent leadership stint.

Omergideon
2009-10-23, 05:54 AM
Dude, you put more work into that post than Rich put into the comic you're commenting on!

Hardly. It took me 10 minutes, whilst the comic take hours/days to produce. So you are wrong.

If that was a compliment aimed at me, I blush. If it was a dig at Rich, then you are wrong. If it was just an observation, then you are mistaken.

Dark Faun
2009-10-23, 10:45 AM
I loved your long review Omergideon and hope you'll make many more. :smallsmile:

I'd say Vaarsuvius is (or at least used to be) Haley's best friend though.

Menas
2009-10-23, 11:01 AM
Hardly. It took me 10 minutes, whilst the comic take hours/days to produce. So you are wrong.

If that was a compliment aimed at me, I blush. If it was a dig at Rich, then you are wrong. If it was just an observation, then you are mistaken.

Or if it was an observation placed in a humorous context that wasn't meant to be taken literally, then it could just be an observation placed in a humorous context that wasn't meant to be taken literally.

Valairn
2009-10-23, 12:12 PM
I also felt that it was lacking something and Roy was oddly Elan-like, but i'm glad to see the comic back up. I'm looking forward to the western continent and looking forward to speculation:smallbiggrin:

I think Roy has changed. He got to see his family, he got to meet his grandfather and realize fighting really is in his blood. He seems more light-hearted now. Like, he's relaxed about his place in the world, he's overcome some of his daddy issues. I think its awesome if that's what Rich really is trying to do.

farty_brando
2009-10-23, 12:44 PM
Lol, I like how Elan is happy with Roy's explanation and Haley is still like *straight brow*. nice.

maybe their wounds dissapeared cuz the dwarf healed em?

Larocs Macalar
2009-10-23, 02:46 PM
:roy: just tried to be an hero again. i just didnt understand y :belkar: helped him, cuz he really enjoy killing someone...
:elan: healed him and :haley:, now i dont know where r :roy:'s wounds...
I wonder if the cut in the bug that :roy: did was enough to make them late...

Cisturn
2009-10-23, 07:56 PM
the comic reminded me of the Vaarsuvius "Paper Beats Rock" joke back in #424

Adeptus
2009-10-24, 12:16 PM
Welcome back, you big dumb meat shield :roy: