PDA

View Full Version : Roy and V suffering from a feeling of incompetence?

tahu88810
2009-10-19, 08:03 PM
Now, it's been shown already that V certainly feels guilt because they were unable to save the soldiers. It's also been show this is, or has been, a driving force to their character, giving a reason behind certain actions.
However, I think Roy is suffering from a similar problem. Roy died in that battle, showing that he was unable to save hundreds of people. He was also, from what we can guess, unable to save his brother (from what, I don't think we've found out yet). Now, in 686, he jumps on the back of a giant moving bug-monster to save a few innocents. Granted, this is a heroic action, but I don't think it's characteristic of before-death Roy. Do you think there is a chance that Roy is attempting to compensate for his inability to save Azure city and his brother? We know he doesn't actually remember meeting his brother in the afterlife, but we've been shown through the idea he has for a 'cool sword move' that he at least remembers a base memory of the events, so it could certainly be a factor.

Orzel
2009-10-19, 08:46 PM
Every good high level D&D character fails a quest, mission, or goal.
Sometimes it is their falut.

Many high levels rightfully have big egos.

Many of those experienced, big egoed characters therefore should have a feel of imcompetence due to a major failure they caused.

Porthos
2009-10-19, 08:57 PM
Do you think there is a chance that Roy is attempting to compensate for his inability to save Azure city and his brother?

Nope. He's just being a Big Damn Hero (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigDamnHeroes). :smallsmile:

And it's not totally out of character for Roy to act this way. Let's not forget his reaction to seeing a Damsel in Distress (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0211.html). Sure he was excited that he got something to relieve the tedium. But Stopping Evil and Protecting Innocents has always been one of Roy's Hallmarks.

It just that he's happy right now. If you're looking for a difference, there it is. Roy usually isn't very happy. Sardonic? Sure. But happy? That's rarer.

What's so potentially jarring IMO about this strip is that Roy isn't being sullen. And I'm sure that Celia has just as much to do with that as any time Roy spent in heaven. :smalltongue:

Green Bean
2009-10-19, 08:59 PM
What's so potentially jarring IMO about this strip is that Roy isn't being sullen. And I'm sure that Celia has just as much to do with that as any time Roy spent in heaven. :smalltongue:

I'm sure for Roy the two are roughly synonymous. :smallwink:

thubby
2009-10-19, 09:50 PM
a high level character has little to fear from a bunch of things a small ranger can OHK (the leader no less). jumping the bug was a perfectly reasonable move IMO

Cracklord
2009-10-19, 10:46 PM
Why is it out of character? He's always been lawful good.

Kish
2009-10-20, 12:17 AM
Haley's proposed alternative involved a side quest to locate the bandits' hive. Roy hates side quests, remember? He said that way back when they went after the starmetal.

Souhiro
2009-10-20, 02:13 AM
Roy can be at Lv12. He's behind even Elan! and come on... ¡ELAN!
But there is something that can be done:

- Doing awesome things in order to do Lawful and Good (Aby GM would give Extra XP)
- Risking himself to save poor victims from a fate worse than death (Extra XP)
- Showing what he have learnt from past lessons (A lot of Extra XP)

I think that Roy can rack up his way to Lv13 very fast, at this pace.