PDA

View Full Version : Is The Giant a Pratchett fan?

veti
2009-10-19, 10:14 PM
Just wondering if he's ever mentioned it...

... because this page (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/comics.shtml) shows what looks like an orang-utan, reading a book, and with the syllable 'ook' featured quite prominently.

Put it all together, it kinda screams "Pratchett" to me. But as far as I can recall, I haven't seen any other evidence. It could be a coincidence.

Shale
2009-10-19, 10:20 PM
Isn't everybody?

Grynberg
2009-10-19, 10:23 PM
Isn't everybody?

Amen, brother.

Haruki-kun
2009-10-19, 10:27 PM
I actually thought I saw a Disc reference somewhere in the comic, but I can't remember where. Then again, it may have been one of those cases where it's just a cigar.

Theodoriph
2009-10-19, 10:38 PM
The site is a collaboration with APE games. So the fact that there is an orangutan isn't really surprising. And given that you reach that particular when you're shopping for comic books, it's not surprising to see said primate reading a book.

It also wouldn't surprise me if either the Giant or someone at APE were familiar with Pratchett's work. I wouldn't go out on a limb at this point to say it's a reference to Pratchett though.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-20, 04:53 AM
Isn't everybody?

I'm not. :smallfrown:

Freelance Henchman
2009-10-20, 05:08 AM
I'm not. :smallfrown:

Get out. :smallmad: *tears Katana's OOTS membership card in two*

Zordrath
2009-10-20, 05:42 AM
The Giant is a writer of humorous fantasy, I'd say being a Pratchett fan comes with the job :smallamused: He probably at least has read some of Pratchett's books, seeing how he is the leading writer of the (admittedly rather small :smalltongue: ) genre.

Then again, in War and XPs, he listed his influences, and MythAdventures and the Hitchhiker's Guide were among them, but Discworld was not.

Hardcore
2009-10-20, 07:51 AM
But that was about how he learned how to write a good story, wasn't it? Plots and character development and such things.
I bet he read a LOT, and those mentioned in the book were just a few examples.

Freelance Henchman
2009-10-20, 07:54 AM
Semi-related, since this is a Pratchett thread: :smallfrown:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1203622/Ill-die-endgame-says-Terry-Pratchett-law-allow-assisted-suicides-UK.html

theinsulabot
2009-10-20, 08:09 AM
you know i only read the first pratchett book. been kinda meaning to go pick up the second for a while now

Salty
2009-10-20, 08:25 AM
I actually thought I saw a Disc reference somewhere in the comic, but I can't remember where. Then again, it may have been one of those cases where it's just a cigar.

You're probably thinking about the million-to-one chance (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html), but like you said, it could just be a cigar.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-10-20, 08:29 AM
I actually thought I saw a Disc reference somewhere in the comic, but I can't remember where. Then again, it may have been one of those cases where it's just a cigar.Or just a crotchety but badass City Watch commander smoking a cigar. The Chief back in Cliffport reminded me of Vimes, but I'm relatively sure they're just of the same archetype.

Shanty Man
2009-10-20, 09:01 AM
I love the librarian

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-20, 09:07 AM

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1203622/Ill-die-endgame-says-Terry-Pratchett-law-allow-assisted-suicides-UK.html

Whaat? :smalleek:

kamikasei
2009-10-20, 09:11 AM
Whaat? :smalleek:

Why are people :smalleek::smallfrown:ing? Were you unaware of his illness? Or is the idea that me might prefer to die on his own terms so shocking?

Haruki-kun
2009-10-20, 10:36 AM
You're probably thinking about the million-to-one chance (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html), but like you said, it could just be a cigar.

Ah, yes. That's the one I was thinking of.

Or just a crotchety but badass City Watch commander smoking a cigar. The Chief back in Cliffport reminded me of Vimes, but I'm relatively sure they're just of the same archetype.

Oh.... just realized that. But well, I hadn't read any Discworld books around the time that story arc was released (which is roughly when I started reading).

bluewind95
2009-10-20, 10:38 AM
Why are people :smalleek::smallfrown:ing? Were you unaware of his illness? Or is the idea that me might prefer to die on his own terms so shocking?

I :smallfrown: because he has that illness at all. The article is a sad reminder of it.

Anyways... I dunno, the few things that have been referenced here seem to be so universal that I'm not sure they could be called references to Pratchett's work at all. Case of a cigar being just a cigar, I guess.

Cisturn
2009-10-25, 11:35 PM
Not only the cliffport chief, but the rookie could be Carrot as well

X2
2009-10-26, 12:50 AM
Isn't everybody?

Not me! :smallannoyed:

cabbagesquirrel
2009-10-26, 01:51 AM
read all his books, well like 95% of them.

all good, sad to hear his news, kind of marks my belief in no god.

Brauley
2009-10-26, 02:06 AM

.... :smallfrown: :frown:

Brauley
2009-10-26, 02:08 AM

Well I for one didn't know.
So that makes me :smallfrown:
And to think that such a great Author would die makes me :frown:

snafu
2009-10-26, 03:42 AM
you know i only read the first pratchett book. been kinda meaning to go pick up the second for a while now

Early Pratchett is mostly straight parody of the hack fantasy going around at the time - you know the sort, where you can just hear the dice rolling in the background every time anybody does anything. It really takes off from maybe Mort onwards, has a bit of a dip somewhere around Interesting Times and returns to form with Night Watch.

Nimrod's Son
2009-10-26, 04:06 AM
I've always found Pratchett to be a bit like Robert Rankin in that he is frequently very amusing but more often than not comes across as trying just a bit too hard to be funny for the sake of it. He's written some good stuff though, and he's a helluva cool guy.

And to think that such a great Author would die makes me :frown:
All great authors die. It's sad, sure, but I'm right behind him in his wish to not fade away into madness before he goes.

Although there's a horrible, regrettable part of me that can't help but want to read a fantasy novel written by someone with full-blown Alzheimer's, just to see what it'd be like. :smallredface:

Bibliomancer
2009-10-26, 04:12 PM
Early Pratchett is mostly straight parody of the hack fantasy going around at the time - you know the sort, where you can just hear the dice rolling in the background every time anybody does anything.

How often are sevens rolled by mortals pretending to be gods on a ten foot high mountain in the center of a flat world carried through space on the backs of four giant elephants that stand on a turtle?

The Giant
2009-10-26, 04:27 PM
This seems to come up a lot, but no, I am not a Pratchett fan. I'm not saying anything against his work, I'm just saying that I never managed to read it before OOTS took off, and now that it has, I consciously avoid it so that I can be sure that my ideas aren't being influenced.

So much so that I don't actually understand the OP's point and how an orangutan reading a book is a Pratchett reference. I selected photos of various primates in positions that lent themselves to reading, playing games, or wearing t-shirts. No reference intended.

Kish
2009-10-26, 04:39 PM
So much so that I don't actually understand the OP's point and how an orangutan reading a book is a Pratchett reference. I selected photos of various primates in positions that lent themselves to reading, playing games, or wearing t-shirts. No reference intended.
In one of the early Discworld books, the Librarian at the wizard university gets turned into an orangutan. He can't be turned back, and he doesn't take too long to conclude that he likes it better anyway. He's still a wizard, and still the Librarian.

Er, if you actually wanted to know. I don't think that short paragraph could possibly influence your writing, anyway.

veti
2009-10-26, 05:04 PM
In one of the early Discworld books, the Librarian at the wizard university gets turned into an orangutan. He can't be turned back, and he doesn't take too long to conclude that he likes it better anyway. He's still a wizard, and still the Librarian.

... and communicates almost entirely using the syllable "ook".

But thank you, Rich, for the clear answer. That's one thing I won't have to wonder about again.

fangthane
2009-10-26, 05:11 PM
I'm not a fan, and in a maliciously petty kind of way I'm sort of glad the Giant isn't either. Not because it gives us a commonality - he's largely unaware of Pratchett's work, whereas I'm largely nauseated thereby - but pure selfish malice. Hey, I'm honest at least, right? :)

I've never read anything of Pratchett's which amused me or with which I agreed, until that linked article - which is not terribly amusing. I'd say more but after all, there's no need to get the thread locked just out of spite. :)

NrS - see, the trouble is, I'd pay money for a book written by Donaldson with Alzheimer's before paying for a book written by Pratchett with his full faculties. Your sick little notion does have a morbid appeal though. :smallbiggrin:

Puns de León
2009-10-26, 07:22 PM
I've always found Pratchett to be a bit like Robert Rankin in that he is frequently very amusing but more often than not comes across as trying just a bit too hard to be funny for the sake of it. He's written some good stuff though, and he's a helluva cool guy.

I have just about the same opinion of him. He's certainly a clever guy, and has boatloads of funny ideas (what is he, the Stephen King of fantasy humour?), but you can't stick a joke into every line. It has the effect of a stand-up comedian who doesn't know how to sort the great from the not-quite-so-great, and ends up throwing it all at you.

Ridureyu
2009-10-26, 08:21 PM
We're not going to ask the Giant to tear up his OOTS fan card now, are we?