PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good boots...

13_CBS
2009-10-19, 11:17 PM
Apparently, Museum Replicas is selling Altair-style boots, which I really, really want (http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-340-altair-boots.aspx). And before you say so, yes they're very expensive for a pair of boots, but it's my money and it's my choice as to what I do with it, and I haven't splurged for myself in a very long while. So no admonitions on financial issues, please. :smallyuk:

My question is: for those of you who have ordered from Museum Replicas, how reliable are their products, particularly those made by Windlass Studios (http://www.windlassstudios.com/p-71-altair-boots.aspx) (the makers of these boots)? Can I expect these awesome looking boots to fall apart by the next week, or will I be paying for something that will last me for years? Somewhere in the middle?

Once again, no chastisements on "wasting money", please. :smallbiggrin: Edit: Or fashion advice. I'm not interested in whether or not these boots will be fashionable on me, I only care whether or not they'll work for a long period of time.

Scratch that, I'm starting to get a little too wary about these boots. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can get similar looking boots, preferably online?

Ravens_cry
2009-10-19, 11:27 PM
What would you wear them with? What really goes with the previously fictional footwear of a videogame assassin?

13_CBS
2009-10-19, 11:36 PM
Not a real issue, though if I had my way I'd wear it with a long coat like this one (http://cryoflesh.com/shop/siberia-long-coat-p-861.html).

As I said, I don't particularly care whether or not these Assassin's Creed boots match anything I wear. I'm only interested in their durability.

FYI, I don't plan on wearing them for anything other than walking.

skywalker
2009-10-20, 12:38 AM
To my knowledge, Museum Replicas stuff isn't that great. I only have second- and thirdhand information, however, so YMMV.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-20, 06:02 AM
>$240 Assassin's Creed Boots
>$115 Long-Coat

Well at least you're helping money flow throughout the economy. That's... Something, I guess?

Anuan
2009-10-20, 06:34 AM
If that's the same Windlass as I think it is, they make some good swords, even if they're famous for being a bit whippy.
Am not sure how that reflects onto clothing.

Edit: Yes, that place is retailing Windlass stuff. I say go for it, if you've the money.

karnokoto
2009-10-20, 07:03 AM
>$240 Assassin's Creed Boots
>$115 Long-Coat

Well at least you're helping money flow throughout the economy. That's... Something, I guess?

Hey, hey. Its his mother's job to scold him on his purchases, not ours :)

You must really want those boots, haha
I'm a scrooge though, bargain bin diver and whatnot. I get grouchy when I have to pay more than $30 for clothing.

If you wore them under your pants they could be very fashionable. Just take my advice and wear a stocking of some kind underneath, or a long sock. Depending on what the inside is made of it can be incredibly uncomfortable to walk around wearing nothing but ankle socks and the top of the long boot rubbing against your calf. Starts to chafe after awhile.
Looking at these, though, if you don't already own a pair of steampunk goggles you're going to have to procure a pair and wear them with these boots.
Oh, and you'll need to tuck your pants into them (more uncomfortable then it sounds) if you want to wear them. I can see them looking good with a lot of outfits.

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-20, 10:17 AM
i won't question your chaoice of financial spending - but i will say this.... the boots, MAYBE - and thats a long shot, but that jacket? Just no.

from a practical stand point though the boots don't look like they've got much of a sole on them

Adlan
2009-10-20, 11:16 AM
I'd also expect to spend £30 ($50-60) on a good pair of insoles if I was buying boots like that.

I recommend superfeet greens.

Quincunx
2009-10-20, 11:23 AM
For that much money, it bothers me that I can't get a close-up of the sole or the attachment between upper and sole, which seems to be mere glue. That's where all the wear will be, if you plan on keeping these for awhile, and that's where it has to be sturdy if you take them to a cobbler to be re-soled when necessary. Get Agamid's opinion, she knows one who re-soled her shoes.

You might have to order them in order to inspect them. Windlass is offering a 30-day guarantee without paid shipping--will that be enough time for a turn-around if they're too weak for long-term use?

While I also say "no" to the conical coat, personally, its description at least gives you an idea of its content and construction. That website has more information about its shoes, if not more pictures.

Hazkali
2009-10-20, 11:41 AM
I would be wary. I don't know Windlass studios or their products, but usually tie-in merchandise isn't the highest quality. $240 is about £150, and I know that there is a lot you could get for that. I would recommend Googling for a leathercrafter or cobbler near to you and asking what they would charge for a bespoke job. You'd be supporting small, local business and know for definite that you're getting good quality, not some rubbish churned out in a far-east sweatshop.

13_CBS
2009-10-20, 01:25 PM
Hmm...I'm starting to be a bit wary now about these boots.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get similar-looking boots?

Solaris
2009-10-20, 01:29 PM
I would be wary. I don't know Windlass studios or their products, but usually tie-in merchandise isn't the highest quality. $240 is about £150, and I know that there is a lot you could get for that. I would recommend Googling for a leathercrafter or cobbler near to you and asking what they would charge for a bespoke job. You'd be supporting small, local business and know for definite that you're getting good quality, not some rubbish churned out in a far-east sweatshop.

Wot 'e said.

13_CBS
2009-10-20, 01:43 PM
Wot 'e said.

That's true, but I'm hoping for ones I can get online since transportation's a bit tricky for me.

Adlan
2009-10-20, 01:49 PM
You might not be able to get them online, but you might be able to phone in a local cobbler.

Or try Sod Hoppers (http://www.sodhoppers.com/), not quite what you need, but they might know someone.

Keshay
2009-10-20, 01:56 PM
Windlass is the same company that did all the Highlander TV show merchandisiung tie-ins (IIRC). I do know that the coat I got from them way back in the day did not hold up. One season and it was done, poor stiching, torn leather, bad investment.

On the other hand, after that I got a prefectly fine leather Duster from Wilson's the held up for a good 4 1/2 years, still have the thing...

In my experience, never expect to get any sort of legitimate use out of anything lableld or sold as "replica". Its costume stuff, Halloween costume only.

as for finding boots like that elsewhere with any sort of quality? Only place I've seen stuff like that is the Ren Fair. Not sure of any online stores, sorry.

Hazkali
2009-10-20, 02:07 PM
Try looking for suppliers of LARP, SCA, or re-enactment clothing. If you know anyone into one of those, ask them if they know of anyone. There are a couple of names I could mention if you were in the UK, but I assume you're not.

13_CBS
2009-10-20, 02:53 PM
Try looking for suppliers of LARP, SCA, or re-enactment clothing.

Hmm...do any of them have a website? I've already checked scaboots.com, but they don't have anything that I'm interested in.

Edit: I found this little number (http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Medieval_Mid_Calf_Leather_Boot_GB0645.html) just now while looking around on SCA suppliers. Any thoughts?

Hazkali
2009-10-20, 03:07 PM
Hmm...do any of them have a website? I've already checked scaboots.com, but they don't have anything that I'm interested in.

Here is a link to a list of LARP suppliers, http://forums.rule7.co.uk/Forum32-1.aspx, you may need to send them emails asking for custom work.

13_CBS
2009-10-20, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the link!

Quick question: do boot sizes work the same way they do for shoe sizes? For example, if I wear US 10.5 sneakers normally, what size of boots should I get? 10.5 again? Something slightly bigger? Smaller?

Serpentine
2009-10-20, 10:31 PM
I own one pair of boots and have ordered another pair and sandals from this (http://www.wallabytracks.com.au/) company. None of their example boots resemble the ones you're going for, but the people are very flexible and open to suggestions. You could ask them if they could make similar ones.

SDF
2009-10-20, 10:36 PM
These Docs (http://www.drmartens.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=12802001) look vaguely similar. And, well they are Docs, so you know they are virtually indestructible for half the price of the others you were looking at.

13_CBS
2009-10-20, 11:14 PM
These Docs (http://www.drmartens.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=12802001) look vaguely similar. And, well they are Docs, so you know they are virtually indestructible for half the price of the others you were looking at.

You know..those may very well be just what I'm looking for: cool, stylish, very practical if they're sturdy as you say they are, and I won't have a little part of my brain teasing about how I'm wearing wearing what's pretty much a costume. :smallbiggrin: Thanks very much for the advice!

I'm assuming that boot sizes are the same as shoe sizes, then? So if I wear 10.5 or 11 US size sneakers, I should be fine in size 10.5 or 11 boots? Also, will I need insoles and long socks?

13_CBS
2009-10-21, 04:32 PM
So...any suggestions on boot sizes? Once again, I typically wear US 10.5 sneakers. Should I get something slightly larger or slightly smaller?

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-21, 10:55 PM
stop nagging

use google

and its a personal preference as to whether to go SMALLER. Going bigger is stupid. Thats will lead to all sorts of rubbing/chaffage/blisters and other discomfort that can only be rectified by multiple layers of socks.

insoles = personal preferance

long socks = not really. Sport socks should cover it. Once again its personal preference

what purpose are you intending to use the boots for?

Serpentine
2009-10-21, 11:05 PM
So...any suggestions on boot sizes? Once again, I typically wear US 10.5 sneakers. Should I get something slightly larger or slightly smaller?...
You're a nong :smalltongue:

The website SDF linked has a sizing chart. RIGHT THERE. :smalltongue: According to it, the US men's 11 is about equivalent to the UK men's 10. Yes, shoe size will almost always be the same as boot size, with the only likely exception being brands. If you check the website, I'd be willing to bet that they have a wrong-size return policy.