PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Designing a Pantheon...

Zovc
2009-10-19, 11:43 PM
So, at work I hand a few moments of rest and I thought back to a very incomplete campaign setting I had. I didn't do much work on the pantheon, but I did have a lot of ideas for it.

I decided that, even if there are different pantheons throughout the world, there will always be one similarity, the "lucky stars" as the civilized races (common-speakers) call them.

So, I want the lucky stars to usually be worshiped as a group, but occasionally they are worshiped individually. There should be multiple ones, I'm thinking an odd number, probably 3 or 5, but maybe 4, 6, or 7. I'd like for all (but one?) to have one-syllable names

Lo [Chaotic ?], inspired somewhat by the general misconception I've had of what Loki is/was for some time. Lo is a prankster through and through, I don't think I want him to be evil, but he doesn't necessarily have to be benevolent, either. Lo could be the cause of lots of the world's problems (including the creation of the world), but these should be side affects of his games and tricks. Generally, anything playful should be in Lo's name. Competition and envy could possibly be attributed to Lo, as well, in some (or all) pantheons.

Ai [? Good], the epitome of benevolence. Ai is likely where most healing and resurrection comes from. The gift of life, in addition to nearly every other gift is attributed to Ai. Celebrations, commeration, and cycles (crops, seasons, weather) could all be attributed to Ai.

Most civilizations believe chance (and to a certain extent, fate) are at the hands of the lucky stars, as such, most clerics are able to take the luck domain from them, even though Lo is probably the only one who independently has luck as a domain.

Carden
2009-10-20, 01:16 AM
To be kind to your players, you could always toss in "Jeez" as the god/goddess of Bad Luck. It'd make it very easy to mutter as a curse.

infinitypanda
2009-10-20, 01:57 AM
A good way of going about this is to look at real-world myths. One of the most enduring myths of the creation of humans is that they were sculpted from clay and then given life. Therefore, I believe one of your gods should be an earth god. Whether or not he was the actual one to create sentient beings is, of course, up to you.

As for a name, we could once again hit up the real world. It would be best to keep things simple, and as the progenitor and earth god he is probably the most important god in the pantheon (at least according to the humans). So his name would probably be something like "The Godking."

However, "The Godking" is too long. So we can shorten it to "The God." Foreign languages are a DM's best friend, so let's change that to "Il Deo." Sadly, that is still just a bit too long. Drop the "Il." It doesn't really fit.

Now, to keep your PC's guessing about the origins of this god, we should probably juggle around the spelling a bit.

And so we are left with Dio, God of Rock.

cheezewizz2000
2009-10-20, 02:06 AM
And so we are left with Dio, God of Rock.

Award that man an internet! Actually, Ozzi, Iomi Geezer and Ward all make rather good short, punchy names. Shorten them to Oz, Io, Geez and uh... Ward and you have your one syllable names and it's a little less obvious that you're naming your gods after members of Black Sabbath...

bosssmiley
2009-10-20, 04:08 AM
So, at work I hand a few moments of rest and I thought back to a very incomplete campaign setting I had. I didn't do much work on the pantheon, but I did have a lot of ideas for it.

I decided that, even if there are different pantheons throughout the world, there will always be one similarity, the "lucky stars" as the civilized races (common-speakers) call them.

So, I want the lucky stars to usually be worshipped as a group, but occasionally they are worshipped individually. There should be multiple ones, I'm thinking an odd number, probably 3 or 5, but maybe 4, 6, or 7. I'd like for all (but one?) to have one-syllable names.

Seven of them seems appropriate here (lucky sevens, thanking your lucky stars, all that)

Lo (The Snake Eyes) - god of chaos and randomness, also misfortune
Ai (The Surveyor) - god of cause-and-effect, also good fortune
Dio (The Rockfather) - god of the earth, bringer of the gift of metal
Yip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VNMERVsC4) (He Who Prods All Things) - god of exploration and inquiry
Zoq (The Green Enigma) - god of speech and commerce
Fot (The Silent One) - keeper of secrets and patron of the vengeful
Pik (Blue Lord of the Great Game) - god of gamblers (and Frungy players)

Sure, you could just throw these out for comedic effect, as I have. But with a little Tekumel-style elaboration these will make for a fine and fitting D&D pantheon, and more importantly, one without all the damnable, confusing sprawl of the FR godly clusterhump.

AslanCross
2009-10-20, 04:36 AM

Don't forget that his rituals involve vigorously banging one's head while holding one's hand aloft with the index and pinky fingers extended.

Zovc
2009-10-20, 01:58 PM
Seven of them seems appropriate here (lucky sevens, thanking your lucky stars, all that)

Lo (The Snake Eyes) - god of chaos and randomness, also misfortune
(Perhaps the dice reference belongs to the gambler, unless you're referring to 'the lowest you can roll.')
Most clerics definitely have Luck (PHB). Trickery and Chaos could easily fit in his portfolio.

Ai (The Surveyor) - god of cause-and-effect, also good fortune
(The Overseer has a sort of negative connotation to it, but I'd prefer something like it)
Most of her clerics have the Fate domain (Complete Warrior). I'm thinking Law or Good (or both) would be in her portfolio, as well.

Most of his clerics have the Artifice domain (Eberron Campaign Setting). I'm thinking Metal (Player's Guide to Faerun) as another domain in his portfolio.

Yip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VNMERVsC4) (He Who Prods All Things) - god of exploration and inquiry
(I'd prefer something more simple like, "The Curious" [Inquisitive?] as his 'title')
MAYBE Inquisition (Copmlete Divine), but that may belong to Zog. Perhaps Travel?

Zoq (The Green Enigma) - god of speech and commerce
("The Merchant?" "The Trader?" "The Auctioneer?")
Trade (Player's Guide to Faerun)? Commerce [seems cooler] (Eberron Campaign Setting)?

Fot (The Silent One) - keeper of secrets and patron of the vengeful
Knowledge domain? What about Mind (Complete Divine)?

Pik (Blue Lord of the Great Game) - god of gamblers (and Frungy players)
([Father of/Grandfather] Chance?)
Also deserves Luck.

Sure, you could just throw these out for comedic effect, as I have. But with a little Tekumel-style elaboration these will make for a fine and fitting D&D pantheon, and more importantly, one without all the damnable, confusing sprawl of the FR godly clusterhump.

I'd expect all civilizations/continents to worship the lucky stars, but they would each have a few of their own deities. For example, any sefaring races would likely worship a god(ess) of the sea and/or weather.

There are two definite continents as of now:
"European" continent; is inhabited by mostly humans and dwarves (and gnomes, and halflings?). Arcane and Divine magics are the only magics this continent is aware of.

"Tribial" continent; is inhabited by Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears (who all consider themselves to be effectively one race), Nomadic Elves, Orcs, and some unique, underground Dwarves. None of the races on this continent would have their SRD stats. Psionics are the most common kind of "magic" here, with the occasional divine or arcane caster.