PDA

View Full Version : Bible quotes for Knight's Templar

Longcat
2009-10-20, 03:52 AM
Hi all,
I'm looking for some stylish bible quotes that would be fit for a Catholic themed gunslinger. Essentially, a character along the lines of Ray McCall from "Call of Juarez", who cites verses from the bible while mowing down his enemies.

Got any ideas?

AslanCross
2009-10-20, 03:57 AM
I'm not sure this is a legal thread due to real world religion rules. I could PM some verses to you, however.

Bayar
2009-10-20, 04:06 AM
I'm not sure this is a legal thread due to real world religion rules.

Seconding this. Anyway, you could watch some Episodes of trigun, there is a badass gunslinger priest there. Has a big cross that is a machine gun and rocket launcher.

Longcat
2009-10-20, 04:06 AM
I'd appreciate that, thanks.

On a site note, I'd rather not spark a religious discussion. It's just about unadulturated quotes, not the meaning behind them.

kamikasei
2009-10-20, 04:13 AM
You might be safe enough if we treat the thread as a source of badass quotes from a work of literature, not supporting material for your theological reasons for gunslinging.

You might also want to check out the movie Boondock Saints, which I understand (though I haven't seen it myself) is likely to contain similar characters with similar attitudes to the one you describe.

JellyPooga
2009-10-20, 04:28 AM
It's not exactly a bible quote, but two of my favourites come from the film Braindead...

"Stand back boy. This call for divine intervention!"

and

"I kick ass* for the Lord!"

You can never go wrong with these!

*NB - he's not talking about donkeys.

bosssmiley
2009-10-20, 05:27 AM
Hi all,
I'm looking for some stylish bible quotes that would be fit for a Catholic themed gunslinger. Essentially, a character along the lines of Ray McCall from "Call of Juarez", who cites verses from the bible while mowing down his enemies.

Got any ideas?

The more tolchecky, krovvier bits of the Old Testament and the Book of Ravinglations should suit your purposes. Plenty of razrez and drat there for your purposes.

(note: "You are bolshy! That means you have bolshy keeshkas. Razrez and drat! Razrez and drat!")

Some of my fave bits of biblical bas-assery:

Revelation 6:8 - And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth. :smallcool:

Matthew 10:34 - Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Job 21:20 - His eyes shall see his destruction, and he shall drink of the wrath of the Almighty.

Eze 7:25 - Destruction cometh; and they shall seek peace, and [there shall be] none.

Isaiah 41:11-12 - Behold, all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish. Thou shalt seek them, and shalt not find them, even them that contended with thee: they that war against thee shall be as nothing, and as a thing of nought.

Isaiah 41:15-16 Behold, I will make thee a new sharp threshing instrument having teeth: thou shalt thresh the mountains, and beat them small, and shalt make the hills as chaff. Thou shalt fan them, and the wind shall carry them away, and the whirlwind shall scatter them: and thou shalt rejoice in the LORD, and shalt glory in the Holy One of Israel.

2 Kings 2:23-24 - And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
The best effect comes from the sonorous language and archaisms of the King James Version. The old school just did rage!!!!! so well. :smallcool:

Oh, not Biblical, but a personal favourite historical bad-ass:

“The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.”

Athaniar
2009-10-20, 05:35 AM
This thread should be on the good site of Forum Law as long as we just take quotes from the Bible without analyzing or discussing them in detail. Also, Wikiquote (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bible) on the Bible.

AslanCross
2009-10-20, 05:38 AM
Here are the ones I sent Longcat:

Psalm 46:8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

Psalm 64:7 But God shall shoot at them with an arrow; suddenly shall they be wounded.

Zechariah 9:14 And the LORD shall be seen over them, and his arrow shall go forth as the lightning: and the Lord GOD shall blow the trumpet, and shall go with whirlwinds of the south.

Deuteronomy 32:42 I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, from the beginning of revenges upon the enemy.

Psalm 45:3-5 Gird thy sword upon thy thigh, O most mighty, with thy glory and thy majesty.
And in thy majesty ride prosperously because of truth and meekness and righteousness; and thy right hand shall teach thee terrible things.

Jeremiah 16:4 They shall die of grievous deaths; they shall not be lamented; neither shall they be buried; but they shall be as dung upon the face of the earth: and they shall be consumed by the sword, and by famine; and their carcases shall be meat for the fowls of heaven, and for the beasts of the earth.

The 4th is my personal favorite. I shall use it next time I play a paladin or crusader.

Hawriel
2009-10-20, 05:42 AM
You could read the bible yourself to find the quotes. After all if your making Templar it would help to actualy know what that character believes in.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-20, 05:48 AM
How about Ezekiel 25:17 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmvnXKRfdb8)?

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Reaper_Monkey
2009-10-20, 05:49 AM
All I can think of is Pulp Fiction sorry :smallbiggrin:

The Big Dice
2009-10-20, 05:51 AM
This one is from Robin of Sherwood, an 80s Robin Hood tv show. It's not a bible quote, but it kind of sums up the Knights Templar for me.

Sheriff of Nottingham:"I serve the king."

Templar: "And I serve the King of Kings."

hamishspence
2009-10-20, 05:54 AM
The Jon Shannow series (David Gemmell) is virtually built around the "quoting gunslinger" trope.

"The wages of sin is death"

and more than a few others.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-20, 05:55 AM
You might try Psalm 137:8-9

Vael Nir
2009-10-20, 05:58 AM

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Which is actually artistic license, as only the last part reads like Ezekiel 25:17. Still sounds badass though.

15: Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because the Philistines have dealt by revenge, and have taken vengeance with a despiteful heart, to destroy it for the old hatred;
16: Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will stretch out mine hand upon the Philistines, and I will cut off the Cherethims, and destroy the remnant of the sea coast.
17: And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.

(http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?id=KjvEzek.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&tag=public&part=25&division=div1)

PhoenixRivers
2009-10-20, 06:24 AM
Other sources of inspirational literature, to help with the mood and feel:

The Charge of the Light Brigade
by Alfred Lloyd Tennyson
Half a league half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred:
'Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns' he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

'Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd ?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do & die,
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd & thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack & Russian
Reel'd from the sabre-stroke,
Shatter'd & sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse & hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death,
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wonder'd.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred!

I believe it was a commemoration of a suicidal charge of a brigade of British light cavalry across open ground. If memory serves, during the Crimean War, specifically, the battle of Balaclava.

Alternately, "Invictus", by William Ernest Henley, has some excellent quotes, when it comes to morale, determination, and perserverence.

Killer Angel
2009-10-20, 06:43 AM
Well, try to go to the original source (aka the Knights Templar).

"Not unto us, o [insert deity name], not unto us, but unto your name grant glory!"

Then charge. :smallcool:

Cheesegear
2009-10-20, 06:58 AM
The Jon Shannow series The Jerusalem Man series (David Gemmell) is virtually built around the "quoting gunslinger" trope.

Fixed it for you. Although it is known as both. One is more politically correct than the other.

I heartily recommend that everyone reads these books. Jon Shannow is a Bible-quoting Gunslinger. Which is what the OP wants. No?

Also, "I am become Death. Destroyer* of worlds." from the Bhagavad Gita. While is isn't the Bible. It's certainly considered a somewhat holy text.

Father Callahan from Salem's Lot/The Dark Tower by Stephen King is also fitting the bill.

And I second watching Trigun. All of it. Not just the parts with the Priest.

*Some translations say 'Shatterer' which makes a bit less sense in English.

charl
2009-10-20, 07:00 AM
You absolutely must yell Deus Vult! ("God wills it") as your battle cry. That is about as historical yet awesome as it gets.

EDIT: It's a quote from a pope who used it as a rallying cry to initiate the crusades.

hamishspence
2009-10-20, 07:21 AM
Fixed it for you. Although it is known as both. One is more politically correct than the other.

There is yet another name- the Stones Of Power series (or the Sipstrassi Tales series)- I'm not sure if one of these refers only to the Arthurian era ones set in the same universe, though.

EDIT: I've checked- both terms are valid, but include the Roman Britain books as well as the Shannow ones.

Kulture
2009-10-20, 07:29 AM
Warning:
Alexander Anderson quotation.
Psalm 2:8-11 (or so I'm told)

"Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance,
and for thy posession, the ends of the Earth.
Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron.
Thou shalt dash them in pieces, like a potter's vessel.
Be wise now therefor ye kings..
Be admonished ye judges of the Earth..
Serve the lord wih fear, and rejoice with trembling.
Kiss the son lest he be angry and perish in the way,
Though his wrath be kindled but a little.
This can be over with one swing of my sword (insert organisation here) does not shirk when the enemy presents itself!"

Alittle long, but it's a nice bbuild up as you walk over to the enemy and make with the smiting.

hamishspence
2009-10-20, 07:34 AM
I like the "Valley of the Shadow of Death" quote- and the common addition to it:

"Cos I carry a big stick and I'm the meanest (unprintable) in the whole valley"

ericgrau
2009-10-20, 07:39 AM
bible.gospelcom.net

Has a search tool.

Talya
2009-10-20, 07:59 AM
On the less literal side (since Tarantino made the quote up, rather than taking it from the cited verse)--

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Ninja'ed!

Prak
2009-10-20, 08:02 AM

damnit, you beat me to it.

gdiddy
2009-10-20, 08:09 AM
When a novice would finally arrive at the Holy Land, he would not be allowed to fight with armor till after his first battle. He would have to gird himself in the armor of his own will and righteousness.

A Novice's Battle cry: Denique: Caelum!(At last: Heaven!)

Zephyros
2009-10-20, 08:13 AM
Which reminds me of a very old session where our Bard decided to rock the socks of the sleeping city. Using this buff/spell (i don't really remember) that makes your music heard louder and far away he sang "Revolution" by Chris de Burgh. In a city-state ruled by a theocratic regime which had just declared us outlaws/enemies of the state. Felt kinda epic. :smallbiggrin:

The J Pizzel
2009-10-20, 08:44 AM
You might also want to check out the movie Boondock Saints, which I understand (though I haven't seen it myself) is likely to contain similar characters with similar attitudes to the one you describe.

The Family Prayer
"And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

...another prayer
"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me amoung Thy saints ."

"Whosoever shed last blood. By man shall his blood be shed. For immunity of god make he the man. Destroy all that which is evil. So that which is good may flourish. And I shall count thee amoung my favoured sheep. And you shall have the protection of all the angels in heaven."

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeaful striking hammer of god."

Seriously. Those are freaking spectacular.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-20, 09:04 AM
The Family Prayer
"...In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

Gah. Why do people keep mistyping that?

It's "in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti". I before e in Nomine, s at the end of Patris, two i's at the end of Filii and another et before Spiritus.

Telonius
2009-10-20, 09:23 AM
Some of the ("newer") Johnny Quest cartoons had a character called Ezekiel Rage - he had some prophet-ish quotes that might be useful.

The J Pizzel
2009-10-20, 10:44 AM
Gah. Why do people keep mistyping that?

It's "in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti". I before e in Nomine, s at the end of Patris, two i's at the end of Filii and another et before Spiritus.

Don't look at me, I just copied and pasted it from a web site. :smallbiggrin:

Deth Muncher
2009-10-20, 10:48 AM
All I can think of is Pulp Fiction sorry :smallbiggrin:

Actually, me too, but my mind kept wandering to a particular SLJ quote.

Chromat
2009-10-20, 11:45 AM
Apage!
Vade retro Angelus nigaer!
Trorum ******* in stagnum ignis!

in * put the name of your enemy.

To be shouted screamed as you deliver blow.

(i apologise to latin natzi if i made mistakes)

MickJay
2009-10-20, 11:57 AM
There's something for almost every occasion to be found in psalm 109: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+109&version=NIV

Lycan 01
2009-10-20, 12:13 PM
Aw, I left my King James version at home. Oh well, here's the NIV version of one of my favorite Bible verses...

'The voice said, "Cry out!" and he said, "What shall I cry?" "All flesh is grass, and all its loveliness is like the flower of the field.
The grass withers, the flower fades, because the breath of the Lord blows upon it; surely the people are grass.
The grass withers, the flower fades, but the Word of our God stands forever."'

I'd suggest you skim through Psalms. There are a ton of verses where David spoke of God smiting his foes, or aiding him against his enemies.

Edit: I forget the Latin translation, but there's a quote I heard once. A Crusader general ordered an entire city massacred - Christians included. He thought it would take too long to go through the city and find all the Christians in the middle of a battle, so he decided to go the easy route, saying: "Kill them all. God will know his own."

gdiddy
2009-10-20, 12:20 PM
Edit: I forget the Latin translation, but there's a quote I heard once. A Crusader general ordered an entire city massacred - Christians included. He thought it would take too long to go through the city and find all the Christians in the middle of a battle, so he decided to go the easy route, saying: "Kill them all. God will know his own."

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.

-Arnald-Amalric, 1208

This was in regards to a town in Southern France, during the Albigensian Crusade against heretics. They were all Christians, but some were thinking wrongly about this Christ fellow.

Choco
2009-10-20, 12:33 PM
Some of the ("newer") Johnny Quest cartoons had a character called Ezekiel Rage - he had some prophet-ish quotes that might be useful.

Seconded

Plus he was my favorite character in the series, one of the more sympathetic villains out there. I almost cried when they finally killed him off for good.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-20, 12:35 PM
My DM once ruled that whenever using Smite Evil I would have to yell something that sounded religious.
I then quoted the entire, "Who begat blank" line from Genesis.
He immediately removed that rule.

You could always try, "Cogito ergo mortum."
And say it means, "I think, therefore you die."

The Tygre
2009-10-20, 01:56 PM
All this talk of biblical RP characters and not a single 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live'? Think of the spellcasters, people, think of the spellcasters.

charl
2009-10-20, 02:05 PM
All this talk of biblical RP characters and not a single 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live'? Think of the spellcasters, people, think of the spellcasters.

Has nothing to do with the bible or the templars. Now, if we start talking inquisition or hysteria then sure.

BigPapaSmurf
2009-10-20, 02:53 PM
Here's some from Exodous, you're on your own for the rest, this should keep you going for awhile though.

Exo
4:2 And the LORD said unto him, What is that in thine hand? And he said, A rod.

4:23 And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

5:3 And they said, The God of the Hebrews hath met with us: let us go, we pray thee, three days' journey into the desert, and sacrifice unto the LORD our God; lest he fall upon us with pestilence, or with the sword.

7:18 And the fish that is in the river shall die, and the river shall stink; and the Egyptians shall lothe to drink of the water of the river.

8:14 And they gathered them together upon heaps: and the land stank.

9:15 For now I will stretch out my hand, that I may smite thee and thy people with pestilence; and thou shalt be cut off from the earth.

14:14 The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.

14:26 And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand over the sea, that the waters may come again upon the Egyptians, upon their chariots, and upon their horsemen.

15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

15:6 Thy right hand, O LORD, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O LORD, hath dashed in pieces the enemy.

15:7 And in the greatness of thine excellency thou hast overthrown them that rose up against thee: thou sentest forth thy wrath, which consumed them as stubble.

15:9 The enemy said, I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil; my lust shall be satisfied upon them; I will draw my sword, my hand shall destroy them.

19:12 ...whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death:

21:24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
21:25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

22:18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

22:24 And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

23:27 I will send my fear before thee, and will destroy all the people to whom thou shalt come, and I will make all thine enemies turn their backs unto thee.

29:25 And thou shalt receive them of their hands, and burn them upon the altar for a burnt offering, for a sweet savour before the LORD: it is an offering made by fire unto the LORD.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-20, 03:02 PM
Gods part in Job is perfect for interrogations.
"Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me."
Job 38:2-3

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-20, 03:44 PM
I always liked "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." Exodus 22:18

It always seemed like a cool thing for an inquisitor to say before pulling the trigger/flipping the switch/tossing the torch onto the pyre.

hamishspence
2009-10-20, 04:27 PM
40K is a fount of vaguely biblical-sounding quotes- even if they may not match up precisely.

"Suffer not the unclean to live"

"Blessed be the mind to small for doubt"

Etc.

Rockphed
2009-10-20, 04:44 PM
Has nothing to do with the bible or the templars. Now, if we start talking inquisition or hysteria then sure.

Except that it is a quote from a half dozen places in the bible. I'll see if I can't find some later. I'm at school without a bible at the moment, so I can't exactly skim right now.:smallfrown:

charl
2009-10-20, 04:53 PM
Except that it is a quote from a half dozen places in the bible. I'll see if I can't find some later. I'm at school without a bible at the moment, so I can't exactly skim right now.:smallfrown:

I meant to write "has nothing to do with the crusades or the templars." I am aware of the biblical origins.

Innis Cabal
2009-10-20, 04:54 PM
I always liked "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." Exodus 22:18

It always seemed like a cool thing for an inquisitor to say before pulling the trigger/flipping the switch/tossing the torch onto the pyre.

Thats probably because its been used before. Alot.

Xenogears
2009-10-20, 05:07 PM
I always liked the simplicity of the Blues Brothers. "We're on a mission from God."

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-20, 09:06 PM
Better still is "It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it!"

Lycan 01
2009-10-20, 09:14 PM
I always liked the simplicity of the Blues Brothers. "We're on a mission from God."

Why do I get this nagging feeling that I've used that line in a game before? :smallconfused:

Come to think of it, I'm gonna have to use some of these for the ferociously devout Imperial Guardsman I'm playing in a pbp Dark Heresy campaign. :smallbiggrin:

Rockphed
2009-10-20, 11:17 PM
Okay, some of these might already have been listed. Also, I think I shall quote the whole verse.

Psalms 27:1 THE LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Ecclesiastes 3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Isaiah 3: 25 Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war.

Isaiah 42: 13 The LORD shall go forth as a mighty man, he shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: he shall cry, yea, roar; he shall prevail against his enemies.

Jeremiah 51: 20 Thou art my battle axe and weapons of war: for with thee will I break in pieces the nations, and with thee will I destroy kingdoms;

2nd Corinthians 10: 3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:

2nd Corinthians 10: 4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Revelation 19: 11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Finally, the biblical zombie apocalypse: 2 kings 19: 35 ...and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses.

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-20, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure this is a legal thread due to real world religion rules. I could PM some verses to you, however.

Sheriff of Moddingham: It is definitely not.