PDA

View Full Version : Eberron -- Buried Secrets IC

Pages : [1] 2 3

appending_doom
2009-10-20, 08:00 AM
Far, 20 Dravago, YK 998

Summer is approaching in Sharn; already the residents of Skyway and the upper reaches are starting up the elemental-bound coolers to fight the rising heat of the city.

The Menthis Plateau has few such luxuries, and the University almost none, but this does not dampen student spirits. It is the weekend before Aureon's Crown, Far evening, and the students of Morgrave University are recovering from their exams.

Winslow Ghallanda, among the first class to receive the university's certification since the end of the war, has made use of this final weekend before the ceremony to host a fantastic party. His friends, acquaintances, and, inevitably, their friends and acquaintances, have gathered in High Hope at the Olladra's Arms for one of the largest gatherings of students outside of the university this year.

Truly, this is a party.

The food is plentiful, and guests more so. Many are discussing the upcoming graduation and, more importantly, what they plan to do afterwards. Rumors of opportunities abound, and soon-to-be ex-students should find it easy to make connections in this atmosphere.

Post ahoy! Try to stay in present tense, just for consistency. And remember, this is a party!

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-20, 08:24 AM
Winslow d'Ghallanda

It took a little bit of sweet-talking, and a couple favors, but Winslow was finally able to convince the owner of Olladra's Arms that hosting a Morgrave party would not only be good for business, but also earn the restaurant extra respect and prestige with the influential Hostler's Guild, of which the halfling was most certainly a member.

And now Winslow was putting that training to use, meeting his friends and associates at the door, ushering them to the large, open-air balcony reserved for the students. With the lights and wonders of western Sharn panning out dramatically and the smell of excellent food wafting in from the kitchens, all seemed to be going according to plan.

Now that most of the guests had arrived, Winslow helps himself to a plate of spicy curried chicken, Brelish style. The menu was pretty traditional tonight, but the quality more than made up for a lack of experimentation. He would have to give his compliments to the chef, or rather, the small army of cooks frantically churning out dish after dish for the increasingly massive group of students.

Winslow is a fine sight in his spotless glamerweave clothing, his golden Ghallanda brooch in plain sight. His golden-blonde hair and bright green eyes compliment an easy smile, and thanks to a few cups of excellent imported Karnnathi Nightwood ale, his cheeks are flushed a rosy red.

For his favorite friends, he dramatically unrolls his left sleeve, displaying his least dragonmark of Hospitality. The strange tattoo-like mark glows softly as he personally cools his friends' drinks with a magic touch. "Behold the awesome power of House Ghallanda!" he laughs as tiny balls of colored light twirl around his head. Spoons and forks float in the air without a hand to lift them, entering orbit around the halfling before landing in amusing formations on the table cloth. "Can you believe it took us halflings thousands of years to develop a dragonmark that can do this? While we were busy staring slack-jawed at a cantrip a feebleminded magewright can do in his sleep, the elves were busy manipulating necromantic energy across the sea... What more could you expect from a bunch of dinosaur riding barbarians?" Winslow jumps on a table and does a bad impression of a carver dinosaur, complete with growling and screeching. Clearly, the 35 pound halfing has had a bit too much to drink...

justice_fishy
2009-10-20, 08:59 AM
That only provokes a giggle from the necromantic elf from across the sea, Alyanna leans back in her chair as she watches Winslow attempting his dinosaur impression. She has no makeup on, no corpse-face, only a touch of it in colors fashionable in Sharn now, complimenting her long black hair and her own dress, done in a deep red and showing off some chest. For good or for ill, the halfling is always entertaining, tipping her chair back as she takes a long sip of some Brelish wine, her own normally pale cheeks flush with redness. A slight rock back as the chair falls over with a loud crash, sending Alyanna tumbling to the floor with a slight scream, before she gets up, smiling despite it, somehow managing to not tip her wine.

"I will have you know!" pointing a finger at Winslow's chest, slurring slightly, "that while you were riding dinosaurs we were worshiping zombies!" a nod. "They're nice zombies but still zombies and sometimes they smell..." she giggles at her minor blasphemy. "So I think dinosaurs are better! More useful, less smelly." a sage nod as she takes another long drink of wine, long fork spearing out to grab a piece of chicken off Winslow's plate, chewing it with some relish.

kemmotar
2009-10-20, 09:13 AM
I find that difficult to believe old friend!

Bertrand shouts over the din, drink in hand and dressed in a red and blue silk courtier's outfits, the one he uses for the better occasions in the city.

How could a dinosaur riding barbarian host such a grand party and no less in Olladra's Arms!

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-20, 09:44 AM
Winslow turns to Bertrand, grinning. "Old Bert! What a sight for sore eyes! I'm glad to see you made it." He gestures to Alyanna, "However, I don't think you've had enough to drink. Get back to me when you're falling off your chair!"
The halfling leaps down and offers Alyanna a hand, which, given his height of just over three feet, doesn't help very much. "My dear Alyanna, I am disappointed. I thought you elves were above the foolish revelry of the shorter-lived races." He grins. "Up, up! You'll ruin your dress. You're almost a graduate, now. We must look respectable."
Winslow straightens up, crossing his left arm over his shoulder in the military style of old Galifar. He slicks his hair back with his free hand, and sticks his nose in the air. Then, he grabs a flagon of ale, lifting it somberly, his voice quite serious.
"A toast! To peace! And the responsibility of respectable adulthood! May we all be shriveled up and joyless in due time!"

justice_fishy
2009-10-20, 10:50 AM
A giggle again at Winslow's antics, flopping back into her chair, "yes, eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we have tenure~" draining her glass and, a bit stumbly, trying to pour herself another one.

kemmotar
2009-10-20, 03:12 PM
If I'm falling off my chair old pal, I don't think I'll be able to make my way to you.

Not that I will be drinking that much anyway Lorsk thought instantly, must remain on my guard, but well, it is a celebration so I won't refrain.

Bertrand smiled to himself and drained his glass and went about in search of another, greeting old and new friends, congratulating them looking for the quiet company of Darrshan amidst the hubbub.

Stabby
2009-10-20, 05:19 PM
Now where could our host be?

A striking figure of a half-elf smilingly glided up to the table. A good-natured smile lit up his face as he surveyed Winslow.
My friend, you have out done yourself this time.
With an easy grace he threw himself into a chair. With his shimmerweave coat and vest, cut in the latest styles, Relian looked every inch of what he was... a scion to one of the Dragonmarked houses, House Lyrandar by the color of his clothes and signet broach.

Wiz
2009-10-20, 07:04 PM
Dax is smiling, a drink in her hand, gliding about in her scholar's robes that reveal a very nice figure - one that is even tempting to those who know her form is something she is wearing as much as the clothes on her back. She looks at Winslow and raises her glass, "Here's to an excellent party, Winslow! Thank you for your hospitality and your friendship - without which these last years would have been much more dull." She sips her drink, "Now, are you going to dance with me? I have an enlarging spell memorized if you want to match heights!"

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-20, 08:45 PM
If Winslow was making any attempt at looking modest, he was certainly failing. He grins as his friends voice their approval.
"Please, I've hardly outdone myself. This is my family's specialty. A routine revelry, a dull debacle. If you'll all join me at the table in, say, one or two more songs, I've a delightful... or, should I say, promising, proposal for you, my dearest friends. Something out of the ordinary! *ahem* Now, Relian, would you be so kind as to strike up a tune? I cannot refuse a lady a dance. Especially one so thoughtful as to keep my vertical limitations in mind."
Winslow steps up to Dax, extending his hand.
"May I have this cast? Er, dance?"

Scow2
2009-10-20, 08:48 PM
Darrshan is sitting in an out-of-the-way table, clearly not entirely in the spirit of the party. Although he came eagerly, now that it was in swing he's second-guessing himself. Unlike most of the collegiate body, he was only on his third drink, afraid of completely humiliating himself and destroying any reputation he had by allowing himself to fall under the influence of alchohol.

So instead, he slouches in his chair wearing his only outfit, though it was cleaned and made presentable for the occassion. His face is partially obscured by his hat, though his cheetah-like facial features don't allow him to conceal his identity. Despite the situation, he still wears his Cyran pauldron, and his distinct leather shield is hanging from the back of his chair, kept near him at all times for their strong sentimental value.

Despite his secret motives, the catman has to at least keep drinking enough to not draw attention to himself for being too withdrawn, and raises his glass with the rest of the party. "Aye," he replies, then downs as much of the remainder of his beverage as he could... What harm could another beer do to his judgement, anyway?

Wiz
2009-10-20, 09:17 PM
Dax murmers some words that somehow seem to grow larger without growing louder or changing their nature. On the third repetition she taps Winslow on the shoulder and he suddenly jumps to her height. "I wish it lasted longer, but I intend to get my two minutes worth." She takes his hand and allows him to lead. "Of course I could compress myself down to halfling size, but since I'm wearing mundane clothing that could get fairly risque, and I'm not nearly drunk enough for that!"

The_Snark
2009-10-20, 11:44 PM
"Tune!" A hand reaches out and tugs at Relian's sleeve. Its owner is a slight elf, smiling up at the bard. Her hair is short, ending for the most part at her neck in a ragged cut, but a few refugee strands hang longer, and some of those have fallen across her face, giving her a disheveled look. She isn't as well-dressed as most of the people there—her dress is more than a little faded, and there's at least one visible tear—but alcohol is a great social mixer, and if her unfocused eyes and slightly-too-wide grin are any indicator, she's been partaking freely. She is just barely recognizable as the elf that haunts the library—and if she's here, maybe she really is a student, although nobody can remember having any classes with her.

"Tune!" she repeats, echoing Winslow's request again. "If you know how to make music you have to give up some!"

kemmotar
2009-10-21, 12:28 AM
Bertrand wanders the party when at last he locates Darrshan and spying his empty glass picks up another and unsteadily approaches, stumbles almost falls on his way there, pirouettes around 2 manically giggling girls, kicks and breaks a few glasses lying on the floor until he finally reaches his target and flops down into the chair next to Darrshan grinning widely

I come to relieve you of your empty glass, only to replace it with another! Drink and be merry kitty boy for tomorrow starts our hunt for the bright future that everyone sets out to find but all abandon! Drink and be merry with me, find a girl and have some fine eh?

he says as he taps him on the shoulder

You're pretty popular y'know....I know the females are go try your luck on the thoroughfare of love and whatnot!? Make a fool of yerself that's what parties are for, unwinding, not pushing the pole further in...eh? Oh but I have an idea. Wait here.

Not giving Darrshan a chance to get one word it, Bertrand quickly locates two girls (OOC: if one of our lovely female compatriots to be would like to be located in the following actions, just say so, the shyer the better) and presents his credentials with a deep bow:

Fair ladies, my friend and I were wondering if you would be so kind as to bless us this night with a dance and whatever the night's soft white light will bring our way!

and stretches out his hands to take their hands, instantly twirling them both in his embrace and leading them to Darrshan and untwirls one of them so that she falls onto his lap, gives him a naughty wink and urges him on

Come on then friend, be a good sport and show the beautiful lady a good time. She did after all take the time to join us.

*evul grin* He then shouts out

Maestro! MUSIC!!

Stabby
2009-10-21, 05:58 AM
With a reluctance that is clearly an act, Relian gets up from his chair and makes his way to the musicians stand and whispers to the conductor of the small troupe. With a smile, Relian walks to the front of the platform and launches into a stirring ballad, one with enough life to get ones toes tapping and yet enough suggestive bass to get young blood stirring.

Perform check (sing) [roll0] just cause, all so expending a bardic music to inspire courage to get people to dance.

appending_doom
2009-10-21, 06:46 AM
The music is of quality enough to be found in Phiarlan's halls, and it is with surprise and pleased laughter that many of the assembled begin to dance.

Bertrand's efforts acquire a half-elf woman dressed in stately Karrnathi regalia, who giggles at Bertrand's words and grabs an arm to wrap around his waist rather than present herself to Darrshan.

The other, though half-elf as well, is as different from her companion as Siberys is from Eberron. At first glance, colorful scarves make up the bulk of her dress, although closer inspection reveals the form-fitting black dress that lurks beneath the diaphanous creation.

"I'm Titch," she slurs to Darrshan, "And I wouldn't mind a dance...in whichever orientation you'd prefer."

The other woman giggles, while others nearby grin or look away.

Students and other locals can be identified with Knowledge (sharn) or (if they're nobility) Knowledge (nobility) when you hear their names.

All in all, it appears that most of the room is reveling appropriately.

Spot checks if you'd like.

kemmotar
2009-10-21, 07:19 AM
knowledge sharn:

EDIT: don't know how to make the roller show the roll itself...anyway know? I thought it was [roll].(1d20+x).

Wiz
2009-10-21, 08:21 AM
Dax is dancing with Winslow, and as is usual is quite inattentive of what's going on around her. However, on the chance she does notice something...
Spot: [roll0]
Knowledge (local-Sharn): [roll1] (add +3 if appropriate for city-sized area)
Knowledge (nobility & royalty): [roll2]

justice_fishy
2009-10-21, 10:31 AM
[roll 0] (spot)

Alyanna just grins at the antics, getting up herself and grabbing a handy male from nearby (a party member perhaps), beginning to dance along with Winslow and Dax, gracefully grabbing a wine glass from a table and seamlessly drinking as she moves in sync with her partner.

appending_doom
2009-10-21, 10:46 AM
@Justice; you probably previewed your roll or something. You need to run it again

A practically gangly elf accepts Alyanna's offer to dance, grinning as she tugs him into the circuit.

"Fancy meeting you here, Aly," he murmurs. It takes a moment before Alyanna recognizes her partner as Moisso d'Thuranni, an acrobat and fellow student. "I wasn't aware you were friendly with the Ghallandas," he adds.

justice_fishy
2009-10-21, 01:36 PM
[roll0]
[roll0]

A musical laugh, "Winslow~" singing out off key as her eyes dart over at the halfling now grown to normal human size. "He invited me and, you know, never one to turn down a party~"

kemmotar
2009-10-21, 02:02 PM
Bertrand turned to the young lady in his arms embracing her softly and dancing slowly with her.

And what might your name be sweet lady?

A karnathi lady...not bad...lots of jewelery, thought Lorsk...might make them disappear...wonder if she has her papers with her...maybe her house seal. Well annoying though it may be...at least I may have found Darrshan a mate for the night. He's too shy for his own good...hehe

Lorsk risked a look over to Darrshan to see how he was doing.

Stabby
2009-10-21, 03:46 PM
Relian continues to sing, launching into a quick-step version of "The Laughter of the Sea", a jaunty song known across all of Eberron. His grey eys sweep over the crowd, picking out friends and classmates.

Spot check [roll0]
Bardic Knowledge [roll1]

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-21, 05:23 PM
Now that his height has skyrocketed to six feet, two inches, Winslow feels remarkably more sober. He speaks softly into Dax's ear as they dance.
"I say, Dax my dear, I think my increase in size has diluted the alchohol concentration in my blood. I wonder if there's anything written concerning this phenomenon? Perhaps there's a delightfully enjoyable experiment in the works for the benefit of all halfling and gnome kind in the near future. Let's make the best of this lull in inebriation."

First, an untrained perform (dance) check: [roll0]
Next, a Spot check: [roll1]
Knowledge (local): [roll2]
Knowledge (nobility & royalty): [roll3]

appending_doom
2009-10-21, 06:11 PM
"Osyl," the as-of-yet unnamed half-elf says to Bertrand. She smiles shyly at him as they began to dance. "I know you, by reputation only, I'm afraid. But I suppose it means asking you about your plans after Morgrave is a little futile." She frowns, thoughtfully, as the music changes. "I think I preferred the earlier song to this one."

Several dancers step out of the way to watch Winslow's and Dax's movements, although it's not clear if they're impressed by his skill or the novelty of a six-foot-tall halfling.

Moisso seems distracted; his eyes keep flicking up to where Relian is singing. Already barely a competent dancer, Moisso's distraction adds more unpredictability to this one pair's movements.

@Cockroach

Titch ir'Delora is one of many nobles found at Morgrave; she's very friendly and outgoing, and rumor has it she's destined for Sharn politics, a skill for which she's been apparently groomed. She was best known at Morgrave for building a network of tutors and other 'problem-solvers' and trading such favors to no apparent benefit for her.

You see, in a dark corner of the area, a gradually-emptying table, which contains a human older than his compatriots, black-haired with a vivid shock of white hair. His table is littered with empty bottles.

@Stabby

Titch is a student, well-liked by a number of her contemporaries.

@Justice

You see an opening in the press of bodies, as if people are vacating one area of the hall.

@Wiz

You see an opening in the press of bodies, as if people are vacating one area of the hall.

Titch ir'Delora is a member of the prestigious Delora family, a Brelish family with a long history of politics. As the newest scion, she is expected to take up the family profession. She has long demonstrated great skill with words and promises, although she's shown an altruistic streak that some have whispered will hinder her in politics.

@Kemm

Titch ir'Delora is the child of a political family in Sharn. She is well-liked and helpful; there are likely more than a few students here who graduated only through her assistance.

Scow2
2009-10-21, 06:22 PM
Darrshan finds himself in a social tight spot, not wanting to dissapoint the half-elf, but he wasn't drunk enough to find her in any way attractive. "Pleased to meet you, Titch. I'm Darrshan," he introduces himself, trying to mask his indifference to her.

With the bump in courage, though, he is relieved that at least he won't make a bigger fool of himself, and tries to feign at least polite interest in his sudden dancing partner. Of course, he can't resist showing off his variety of dancing skills, hopefully she could keep up.

Bluff Check:[roll0]

Trained Dance Check:[roll1]

appending_doom
2009-10-21, 06:33 PM
Titch accepts Darrshan's hand with polite grace, although Darrshan's unconvincing attempts at pretending to see her as anything other than a social obligation brings a tight expression to her face, although there is little outward sign of it to anyone other than the man dancing with her.

When she first encounters her partner's skill, Titch frowns in concentration and moves in an attempt to match him, step for step. Though clearly untrained, Titch's grace makes her an impressive partner.

Dance: [roll0]
[roll1]

kemmotar
2009-10-21, 07:05 PM
knowledge Sharn: [roll0] as to who Osyl is

appending_doom
2009-10-21, 07:15 PM
@Kemm

Osyl ir'Selavash is a Karrnathi native attending Morgrave under the auspices of the Sharn branch of her family. She is a skilled debater and public speaker, and well-connected. There are rumors that she's already being wooed by Reyn, Cirris, and Suvari, the oldest-established law firm in the city.
The Sharn Selavashes aren't movers and shakers. They are researchers, scholars and advisers. Still, that's enough to place them among the most powerful groups of the city.
It's suggested, after all, that the Selavash line is drawn from Phiarlan stock...

The_Snark
2009-10-21, 07:15 PM
Saera makes no move to find a dance partner. She remains focused on the music, leaning forward and staring intently at the singer—or as intently as she can while drunk—with a solemn look on her face, as if the song were of great importance. Surprisingly, her gaze is quite steady. Perhaps she isn't as tipsy as she appeared earlier.

kemmotar
2009-10-21, 07:50 PM
Osyl ir'Selavash, even more beautiful then what I'd heard.

He says as he takes her hand and kisses it

But I wonder, why would you consider such a question futile? I suspect there will be an expedition, I was going to ask a good friend of mine, Winslow, tonight he has always been the one to bring people together under a common cause, be it parties or expeditions. Perhaps Xen'drik...dangerous though it may be I plan to return...and...your plans?

appending_doom
2009-10-21, 08:04 PM
Osyl laughs in reply. "You're famous for lacking ambition, Bertrand. One would expect you to go home and live in the lap of luxury until responsibility was forced upon you. Or are there difficulties with your family?"

Osyl shakes her head, frowning. "I'm sorry. That was gauche. It's not even remotely my business. I suppose an expedition is something worth thinking about. You might want to ask after Professor Rothcollor; word is he's been looking for graduates to assist on some big find. Something to do with a lost ship from decades ago." She shrugs, as if the world of archeology is beyond her.

"But you asked about my plans. Law, of course. My family is made of advisers and researchers, and my particular skill is in speech. Where else to place them except law?"

Scow2
2009-10-21, 09:45 PM
Darrshan tries to use his demonstrated skill with dancing to his advantage to convince Titch that his initial coolness toward her was from caution and perhaps dance-based snobbery, trying to use the right words and body language to express feigned attraction to her... or at least not come across as thinking she's repulsive.

Bluff Check [roll0]

appending_doom
2009-10-21, 09:53 PM
Titch stares at Darrshan as they dance, pursing her lips as they move, although her movements don't falter.

A call suddenly rings out from the crowd. "The Khorvaire Waltz!"

There is a pause, and a noticeable shift in the mood as the dancers slow, and voices join in, calling for the dance.

It's common knowledge (DC 10 local, bardic or perform) to recognize the Khorvaire Waltz, a deceptively simple waltz which involves partner-swapping. It's a relatively new tune, but popular across the predominantly humanoid nations.

Also, enlarge person wears off.

Wiz
2009-10-21, 11:02 PM
Dax smiles, enjoying the dance with the heightened Winslow, sadly when the dance fades so does the spell. "Well, that worked for a short while at least." She looks thoughtful, "Well, I suppose we could do some experiments... get you drunk... measure your performance... enlarge you, and see if your performance improves. The only problem is, two minutes is hardly a good amount of time to satisfy most reaserchers as to performance abilities... I know two minutes just wouldn't do it for me." She winks.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-22, 01:06 AM
"Alas, all good things must come to an end. Well, I'd best attend to my guests, and make sure that broken glass over there doesn't hurt anyone. No rest for the wicked. Thanks for the dance, and the spell... I feel my motor abilities failing already."
Winslow takes his leave of the dance floor, using his prestidigitation powers to clean up some of the more unsightly messes. It wouldn't do to have the owners of Olladra's Arms regret their cooperation with the Hosteler's Guild.
As tiny motes of magic wind begin to sweep up glass, spilled food, and drink, the halfling takes a moment to survey the party, pleased with the evening so far.

Stabby
2009-10-22, 05:53 AM
With a nod to the audience, Relian looks over to the music leader and meets his eye. With a smooth this that could almost appear planned, the music switched to the Khovair Waltz.

Perform (Dance)
Perform (Sing) [roll]1d20+8
Bardic Knowledge 1d20+6

Stabby
2009-10-22, 05:55 AM
Trying the second two rolls again, stupid spaces.
Perform (Sing) [roll0]
Bardic Knowledge [roll1]

kemmotar
2009-10-22, 07:24 AM
Bertrand laughs at Osyl's words.
sense motive: [roll0], trying to find out why she said that..

There is truth in what you say, or at least there was. As all things grow and mature, so do I and it seems your information is out of date. I am, you could say, a...different person. My family is as well as ever, thank you for asking.

However, judging from your outdated information, I must ask. What would you want with a drunkard, with no ambition?

And As to your own question, a talent in speech and knowledge goes a long way, perhaps in politics...your friend, miss ir'Delora is certainly going to be involved in politics, if my information is correct.

Bertrand is obviously hurt by her remarks, or at least Lorsk is, Lorsk has tried for a long time to change the world's view of Bertrand...

Wiz
2009-10-22, 08:07 AM
Dax's eyes widen slightly at Winslow cutting off the banter and suddenly walking away from her. She turns slowly, walking over to get another drink. She'd been snubbed before by those who looked down on her for her race, but never before by someone she thought of as a friend. Maybe changelings don't have friends...

appending_doom
2009-10-22, 08:29 AM
"You forget, you were the one who asked me to dance, Bertrand," Osyl replies easily, laughing. "But what is your interest in Miss Delora? Perhaps you've tired of my company, or think I'll be better company for your friend there. He seems quite uninterested in Miss Delora's charms."

Lorsk suspects Osyl's early questions were an inelegant attempt to probe deeper into "his" history. There is, after all, one common point between Osyl's relatives -- they all make their living seeking obscure and hidden information.

In fact, her original comments were likely meant to inspire annoyance that anyone would notice or comment on "Bertrand's" transformation.

Make a Bluff check.

kemmotar
2009-10-22, 08:53 AM
Bluff: [roll0]

Just looking out for a friend Osyl, Darrshan, is after all a friend of mine and no I regret not one bit that I asked a dance of you and I would settle for the company of no other. You should not underestimate the power of your own charms.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-22, 11:47 AM
At the periphery of the party, Winslow rolls his eyes and mutters under his breath, "The Khorvaire Waltz..." A party was an amoebic, mercurial thing. If he was to mix business with pleasure, he would have to carefully navigate the swirling melee of banter and pleasantry like a Seren longboat navigating the Teeth of Shargon.
Assuming his friends stayed long enough, and sober enough, for a productive discussion, he had to somehow gather them all in one place. And there was the presence of the playwright to consider as well.
Winslow scans the room for the reclusive elf Saera. She was a friend of a friend of Winslow's, though at the moment he did not remember whom. The halfling makes his way to where she is seated, dodging a falling plate of salad and stepping over the prone form of a student who'd had too much to drink. Finally, he reaches the somewhat disheveled-looking elf. He bows slightly.
"Saera Shol? Allow me to introduce myself. I am Winslow d'Ghallanda, your host for the evening. If there is anything you need, do let me know, and I shall do my best to accommodate. And might I add that it is an honor to have you in attendance. I'm somewhat of a fan of your work, myself."

appending_doom
2009-10-22, 11:50 AM
As Dax approaches the bar, another patron runs into her, sloshing an eye-stinging alcoholic beverage over their immediate vicinity.

Roll a Reflex save if you want to try to remain dry.

"Sorry," the perpetrator, a tall human man slurs. His face is craggy and suggests an age slightly above that of the average tonight. His most noticeable feature is a white lock of hair that hangs from his mussed bangs. "You know how tricky navigating this sort of party can be, especially after..." He closes his eyes as if considering. "Some drinks can be. Wait a -- Dax?" He grins, abruptly. "It's me, Russo? Loide? We had a few theory classes together last year? Anyway, come on, I'll get you a drink to apologize, and we can commiserate about the cruelty of the world."

For Dax, Know (local) and Know (nobility) for a hint as to whether this is a random stalker or someone you actually know.

He drapes a heavy arm around Dax's shoulders, although his unsteady gait makes it clear this is as much for his benefit as to drag Dax along with him.

The_Snark
2009-10-22, 01:31 PM
The playwright is seated alone, but doesn't seem to notice the lack at all, as taken with the music as she is. She remains oblivious to Winslow's presence until he says her name. She lays a finger against the halfling's mouth as he finishes speaking. "Please," she says formally. "Just Saera."

She stares at him with wide eyes as if to impress this upon him, then looks around with a smile. "This is a party, and there is music and—oh, it seems to have moved away." This is true; most of the people seem to have gravitated either to the impromptu dance floor, or the bar, leaving the tables relatively empty. "Come on, then," she says, standing with a smile, "let's find the center, where it is golden and warm and loud." She takes Winslow by the hand, a feat made less awkward by her diminutive stature, and leads him around the edge of the dance floor towards the bar.

"You have seen some of my plays," she mentions as they thread their way through some of the dancers on the outward edge. "Did you understand them?"

Scow2
2009-10-22, 03:31 PM
Perform(Dance) Check:[roll0]
Darrshan tries to subtly guide himself and Titch over toward Bertrand and his partner after the song changed, intending to get close to the other pair before the first partner-swap. He doesn't try to make any further attempts to salvage the relationship with Titch, and leave her politely in favor of someone he is interested in.

appending_doom
2009-10-22, 03:44 PM
Although Darrshan's distraction makes his movements far less graceful than they had been earlier, Titch glances briefly towards Osyl and Bertrand and gracefully spins the two of them into the vicinity just as the song calls for a switch.

Apparently hindered by Darrshan's lack of grace, Titch's grab misses Bertrand's hands, and as the music continues, the two women have joined for the dance. As the two spin through the press of bodies, it's clear that Osyl is annoyed, while Titch has leaned in close, and is whispering to her new partner.

It's not clear how much of the maneuver was accident, and how much engineered, but as the last minute of the Khorvaire Waltz begins, Darrshan has been thrown into Bertrand's arms.

The results of the clumsy attempt are that the last reel ended with Bertrand and Darrshan in dancing position. If both try to continue (or don't notice the switch for a few moments), opposed Perform checks (Charisma checks for the untrained) for who leads.

Stabby
2009-10-22, 04:04 PM
Seeing a beautiful woman being discomfited by an drunk would-be partner, Relian's inherent sense of gallantry goads him into action. Without dropping the song, he quicksteps his way towards Dax, hoping to relieve her of the tiresome chore of ditching the drunk admirer.

With a deft movement, he attempts to sweep in and pluck the beautiful young lady from under the arm of the stumbler. With a wink at the drunk, he waltzes with Dax back towards the dance floor.

Perform (sing) [roll0]
Perform (dance) [roll1]
Action Point [roll2] to add to the dance move.
Diplomacy [roll3] To keep the drunk from being angry

Wow, I hope this works

Stabby
2009-10-22, 04:08 PM
Raw Charisma check Time [roll0]

kemmotar
2009-10-22, 04:24 PM
charisma check to lead: [roll0]

Bertrand loses his composure for one second, clearly confused as to what happened but decides to play along, he wanted to speak to Darrshan in any case and decided to have some fun...

I must say Darrshan...I didn't know you were the jealous type...

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-22, 04:37 PM
Winslow is rather surprised to be led by the hand of a relative stranger, especially one whom he has a certain amount of admiration for. Given his stature, even in comparison to the slight elf, there is little he can do but let himself be dragged along. He tries to keep up to the best of his ability.
"Yes... your plays. Ah, well, I make no claim that I am a genius, but I do fancy myself sharper than your typical halfling. Even so, I wouldn't claim to 'understand' them, like you say. I always thought they were somewhat like a dream. Beautiful, haunting, strangely familiar, and yet when you leave the theater, it's like waking up: one has trouble putting the pieces together, even though it feels like the mind is working something out... That probably doesn't make a lick of sense..."
Well, given her demeanor, perhaps I'm not too far off...
"Oh, but, um... once you've had your fill of the music, I was wondering, ah, seeing as you are an acquaintance of certain of my friends, I would like to extend an invitation to you... to join us, hopefully soon, for a discussion of sorts. If you would be interested in that sort of thing. Not that I would wish to rob you of your evening's enjoyment."

The_Snark
2009-10-22, 05:13 PM
Saera halts abruptly as the halfling's explanation trails off, and leans down to whisper something. "Sometimes, I don't either," she confides, staring into his eyes very intently. "I only write them down."

And then she is standing up again, continuing as if she had not just confided in a perfect stranger. Winslow's stammered offer receives a nod, but her attention seems to wane near the end—she looks suddenly distressed, glancing around as if looking for something. "The music is gone!" she exclaims right on the heels of the offer, and this is at least party true—Relian's baritone voice is no longer audible. "Do you know where he went?"

Wiz
2009-10-22, 05:20 PM
Dax successfully dodges (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7173285&postcount=143) the incoming drink, and then is corraled by the drunk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7173351&postcount=147) before being rescued and swept off by Relian. So smooth is his move, singing, and raw charisma that she doesn't complain in the least, and actually smiles and blushes as he sweeps her away into the dance.

Scow2
2009-10-22, 05:28 PM
After politely taking Bertrand's hand for the dance, Darrshan shrugs and attempts to disguise the mix-up as an honest accident caused by booze and poor timing and location, not an intentional attempt to ditch a soured partner in favor of a guy he knew he liked.

"No... Just the luck of the dance, I guess," he answered, trying to read Bertrand's response for a clue on how to proceed with the dance without drawing suspicion to his real feelings: either respectfully awkward until next partner swap to fix the issue, hammed-up to too ridiculous a degree to be seen as a genuine not-straight interest in his partner. Apparently, it didn't matter what his intent to throw off suspicion was, because he expressed way too much interest of the exact wrong type in his dancing partner, too eagerly taking the more submissive position...

Rolls:
Bluff Check to hide intentional gender-mixed-partner-swap:smalltongue: : [roll0]

Bluff Check to hide enthusiasm: [roll1](-2 if first fails]

Sense Motive Check: [roll2]

Charisma check for lead: [roll3]

[will edit details to reflect quality of dice rolls]

kemmotar
2009-10-22, 05:32 PM
rolls:

Sense motive to detect intention: [roll0]
Sense motive to detect enthusiasm: [roll1]
I'll edit post in response to the outcome of the rolls, also I hope I'm not trespassing on DM teritorry here...

kemmotar
2009-10-22, 05:55 PM
A slightly amused expression crawls over Bertrand's face...

Darrshan....my sweet little kitten...you know better than to lie to me don't you?

Bertrand says as he leads him in the dance, appreciating the irony meanwhile. He leans close and whispers to him:

How about we keep up appearances for now and talk later. If you're interested, there is a proposition you might like to hear.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-22, 06:53 PM
Conversing with Saera was certainly the most surreal thing to happen to Winslow all evening, and that was taking his brief stint as a human-sized creature into consideration.
"Relian? He's a friend of mine, you know. Talented chap. Um... I can't really see too well over the tables. Fancy an introduction? I'm sure he'll be glad to hear of your appreciation. Just a moment."
The halfling climbs on top of a chair to get a better view of the party. He grins when he spies Darrshan and Bertrand dancing. Perhaps ol' Bert hadn't changed as much as he thought. He then spots Relian and Dax on the dancefloor.
"Ah. It would seem our beloved baritone has taken a break from singing to enjoy a dance himself. For as much of a music connoisseur as you appear to be, I wager you don't enjoy dancing yourself?"

kemmotar
2009-10-22, 07:11 PM
After Bertrand hears Darrshan's answer, they break up the dance with a flourish ([roll0]) and a wink, whereupon Bertrand heads to Osyl and Tich and offers each his hand.

Ladies, my apologies for the momentary interruption. Have you met our host? A good friend of mine, you might be interested to meet him.

He says as he leads them towards Winslow, once at the table he introduces the ladies:

Winslow, may I pull you away from your conversation momentarily? I would like you to meet two maginificent ladies, miss Tich ir'Delora and miss Osyl ir'Selavash...they are beautiful as they are intellingent. My ladies, this is Winslow d'Ghallanda and the man responsible for this excellent party. I would also like to have a word with you if our generous host may spare a few minutes of his time. It involves the wretched future you referred to in your earlier toast, information courtesy of our lovely lady Osyl, excellent toast by the way.

Stabby
2009-10-22, 07:29 PM
As the music ends and Relian stops singing, he finishes the song with a sweeping under arm turn into a low dip and a cheeky grin.

Perform Dance [roll0]

My dear, I didn't want to intrude, but I couldn't bear to see you accosted by such a drunken boor. Stepping back, he offers her a formal bow. My name is Relian d'Lyrander and it was my sincere pleasure to dance with you this eve.

Wiz
2009-10-22, 07:35 PM
Dax smiles, "I am very pleased to meet you, Relian. I'm Dax, and that's the first time anyone's come to my rescue... well, except that incident with the boulder trap." Her cheeks are flushed with the excitement of the moment and her eyes are bright. "You certainly know how to maneuver around the dance floor!"

Stabby
2009-10-22, 07:52 PM
Um, well... to be honest I surprised myself. Relian's air of confidence dissipates with the music. Normally I just stay on stage, that was kind of a first. As color rises to his cheeks, he frantically searches for something to say. I can't believe I just did that.... now what... Now what! Thats it!

Like a fresh breeze, confidence returns to Relian's frame.So, what are your plans now? Suddenly aware of how his words could be taken, he stubbles quickly along. After graduation, I mean, of course.

Wiz
2009-10-22, 08:07 PM
Dax closes her eyes and smiles at his question, and quick save. "To be honest, I haven't given it a lot of thought... something with magical studies to be sure, possible involving Xen'drik." She looks into Relian's eyes, "So, what are your plans...now?"

justice_fishy
2009-10-22, 08:17 PM
Alyanna grins a bit, back in her chair once the dance is done, continuing to observe the party, a bit of a half-smirk on her face, she's a tad bit too drunk to really stand now, having consumed two glasses of wine and a flagon of beer while dancing. "Whooo!" calling out, lazing back with a stupid smile on her face.

Stabby
2009-10-22, 08:18 PM
Um, uh... now? With her eyes staring into his, he drops them uncomfortably... right into her décolletage. With an almost audible gasp, he wretched his gaze away, his eyes flickered across the room.
Um uh... I think Winslow is waving at me, care to join me?

appending_doom
2009-10-22, 08:19 PM
Relian and Dax, roll Spot checks, plus anyone else in their immediate vicinity.

Stabby
2009-10-22, 08:22 PM
Spot [roll0]

Wiz
2009-10-22, 08:27 PM
Dax smiles, taking Relian's arm as though he'd offered it. "That sounds nice... I'd love to join you."

Spot Check: [roll0]

appending_doom
2009-10-22, 08:32 PM
When Relian sweeps Dax away, the dark-haired drunk narrows his eyes at the retreating bard.

He glances around in his immediate vicinity for another free party-goer to complain at, but when none immediately present themselves, he scowls, crossing his arms.

He watches as the two have their moment, but when their attention moved towards Winslow, he grins nastily, and shoves his way through the crowd after Relian, both hands clenched into fists.

Relian, roll for Initiative, as you're the one of the two who noticed this.

Stabby
2009-10-22, 09:06 PM
Initiative [roll0]

Relian sees the drunk striding towards him, fist clenched.

Wiz
2009-10-22, 09:09 PM
Dax is oblivious to everything except Relian.

Come on Dax... don't come on too strong. You've had a long, hard semester. Your friend snubbed you, a drunk tried to pick you up, and this guy saved you. You're feeling kind of high right now and you don't want it to stop, but if you come on too strong you could put him off...

appending_doom
2009-10-22, 09:11 PM
The man that Relian didn't pay any attention to at all rolls initiative.
[roll0]

appending_doom
2009-10-22, 09:14 PM
"You think you waltz through anyone's life, doing whatever you want, just because of your family?" the dark-haired man shouts as he closes in on Relian.

He raises one fist and attempts to slam it into Relian's cheek.

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: Forgot the partial charge bonus. Does a 10 hit? I'm assuming you're not wearing armor to a party.

His voice is loud enough to carry over the noises of the crowd; most of the nearby party-goers distance themselves from the impending fight.

After Relian acts, y'all can roll Initiative to join in, if you like.

Scow2
2009-10-22, 09:31 PM
Darrshan didn't manage to come up with an answer before the dance was brought to a close, and he rejoined the revelry after Bertrand suddenly left, apparently having more important things to do at the moment.

While Darrshan considers his friend's offer, not sure what to think of the opportunity, or even if what was suggested was what was meant. He could have gone on questioning it for the rest of the party had his keen ears not heard a nearby martial commotion near the resident Bard.

Initiative:[roll0]

Stabby
2009-10-23, 05:58 AM
My AC is 11 right now, 10+2dex-1flaw=11.

This isn't good, how do I salvage this? Ducking away from the drunks sloppy punch, Relian takes up a consoling pose. Dear Sir, I think you misunderstand. It was merely part of the entertainment! The fair lady and myself had pre-arranged that. As he talks, Relian is subtly weaving magic into his voice. Relian tosses a glance to Dax, urging her to play along.

Relian is using his Soothing Voice Ability to calm the drunk down. It creates a Calm Emotions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/calmEmotions.htm) effect. Diplomacy Roll for Will Save DC [roll0]

I must say, you played your part perfectly! Have you considered a career in theatre? Your emotion looked so real; even I thought it was, and I was in on the joke.

Wiz
2009-10-23, 07:52 AM
Dax is watching Relian and the man... all expression seems to have fled from her face.

Great, he's a coward who won't even take on a drunk to defend a lad... her thought pauses as she looks at Russo... he doesn't look drunk anymore!

kemmotar
2009-10-23, 08:07 AM
spot to notice the scuffle: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

justice_fishy
2009-10-23, 09:20 AM
Alyanna leaps up towards the fracas, no one is messing up this party if she can help it!
1d20

justice_fishy
2009-10-23, 09:24 AM
[roll0]
[roll0]+3

((Er, my roll, I'm still unsure about how to work the forum roller))

Stabby
2009-10-23, 04:01 PM
Bluff check [roll0]
Really, it would be frightfully rude to our host to cause a stir.
Though Relian is doing his best to de-escelate the situation, he slightly shifts his weight to the balls of his feet, readying himself to attack if the drunk tried to swing again.

appending_doom
2009-10-23, 04:23 PM
"Then I was simply trying to catch your attention," the young man replies, snidely. "I was attempting to discuss a proposition with my fellow student before you decided that your...art was more important than the lives of those less...favored than you."

He glances around the room, noting the closer students who seem ready to approach the confrontation; his eyes narrow. "And look at all the powerful people ready to jump in. Friends of yours?"

Stabby
2009-10-23, 05:07 PM
Friends of mine, friends of yours. Does it matter?
With a shrug at the surrounding crowd.
I think that they were closer to tossing us both out. As for family, I wasn't aware that airships or waterways had anything to do with this. Relian actually bristles aggressively, the mention of a slight to his Family bringing an reckless light to his eyes that physical assault hadn't.

Bardic Knowledge to know who the drunk is [roll0]

Wiz
2009-10-23, 05:14 PM
Dax raises an eyebrow, "You were trying to discuss a proposition with me? While pretending to be drunk, which you obviously aren't! I'm not impressed with your approach - like trying to shower me with your drink first, what was the point of that?"

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-23, 09:13 PM
Wislow, seeing the scuffle unfold, sighs. "It seems tensions are rising. I do hope you'll stay a bit longer, Saera. Don't let this nonsense spoil the evening."
The halfling makes his way to Relian and Russo.
"Gentlemen, gentlemen, I do apologize. Clearly, I've been lax in my duties as host. If either of you are not enjoying yourselves, I claim responsibility for the discrepancy. How can I, as a representative of my esteemed House, help to remedy the situation?"
Winslow does not come between the two men, but comes as close to both as he can. His face does not display anger or annoyance, but rather a genuine look of concern.

Scow2
2009-10-23, 10:26 PM
As soon as he saw Russo throw a punch at Relian, he hops over to the scene. Even though Winslow is already trying to remedy the situation diplomatically... This is a high-class establishment, and if the event was dramatized too much, they could get permanently banned from the Arms.

Darrshan, fortunately, has a plan! He boldly dashes through the crowd to get to Rellian while attempting to vocally simulate the instrumental fanfare to a popular novelty song. His tremendous speed and agility bring him to the scene in almost no time, and he attempts to grab the Bard and pull him away from ticked-off Russo, forcefully volunteering Rellian to be his dancing partner, as he belts out, "Young man! There's no need to feel down. I said, Young Man! Pick yourself off the ground!..."

Untrained Sing Check: [roll0]
Melee Touch Attack: [roll1]
Grapple: [roll2]
Dance Check: [roll3]

appending_doom
2009-10-23, 10:44 PM
"I've been alternately humiliated and insulted by your guests," Russo snaps, shooting a venomous look at Dax. "Coming on the heels of a very bad four months, I'm not happy at all. Even a drunk man can pull himself together with proper incentive," he adds pointedly, to Dax.

He stops, short, when the feline creature interrupts, failing entirely to do more than embarrass himself. His lip curls. "You're right. Your gathering has done nothing but bring more misery to me, Winslow Ghallanda. Unfortunately, the midst of your gathering is an ill place to settle such grievances.

"Keep your fantasies of meaning and romanticism," he hisses at Relian. "Pretend that style means anything when not bolstered by power. Anyone who knows anything will know where to find me. If you want to remedy the situation." This last, he directs again at Winslow.

He turns on his heel to leave, and likely will, if not physically hampered by another guest.

kemmotar
2009-10-23, 10:49 PM
Bertrand follows Winslow quietly, not yet taking part but trying to assess the situation thinking, "oh by the gods...the evening was going so well...hopefully this won't escalate..." while touching his concealed blade for reassurance should things turn really ugly...even bottles can be quite nasty weapons...

rolls:

Sense motive to see what exactly Russo (though I don't know his name, it's better than calling him the drunken guy) is trying to do, whether he will try to escalate this etc: [roll0]
Knowledge local(sharn) to identify russo: [roll1]
gut assessment of the social situation via sense motive(full round action as per social intuition):[roll2]
Will save vs calm emotions, if required: [roll3]

Wiz
2009-10-23, 10:52 PM
Dax narrows her eyes, "Wait a minute... Russo d'Cannith! Who are you to talk about someone puffing up their pride because of their House! You're both of Dragonmarked houses... as is Winslow... as..." Her eyes go wide as Darshan tries to grab Relian, "HEY! He's with me!"

The_Snark
2009-10-23, 11:03 PM
Saera trails along after Winslow, looking attentively at the conversation—but like a latecomer to the stage, she can understand little. But she gives Russo a nod and a sad smile as he turns to leave, recognizing the signs of a proper tragic hero when she happens across one.

Dax's outburst elicits a frown. The changeling is her friend, but it's unkind to mock someone who is so clearly unhappy.

appending_doom
2009-10-23, 11:07 PM
Russo doesn't even acknowledge Dax's outburst; his ears redden, for those close to him as he pushes away through the crowd, but it's clear he's had enough of people tonight.

kemmotar
2009-10-23, 11:16 PM
I will return soon, meet the kitten, his name's Darrshan, good fellow, friend of mine...straight as an arrow.

Bertrand whispers to Winslow over his shoulder, a smirk passing over his face quickly before disappearing through the crowds after Russo.

As soon as he catches up with him he settles into the same pace as Russo behind him and says:

Mister Loide, good evening. Before you ask, my name is Bertrand ir'Rothryme and no, I care not in the slightest about what just happened. I would like to talk business.
The smile on his face shows Russo that he indeed couldn't care less about the fight and is genuine for any opposed sense motive checks.

diplomacy roll if required: [roll0]

The_Snark
2009-10-23, 11:25 PM
For whatever reason, Winslow is chosen to be Saera's confidante for the second time in as many minutes. "His life is a tragedy, you know," she whispers from behind him, and this time her voice is too soft for the others nearby to hear easily. "I had hoped, when I met him, that he had reached the denouement already, and could eventually learn to live with his bitter past. I fear I hoped in vain; he has yet to see the worst his life will give him."

She straightens, and gives Dax another mildly reproving glance.

Wiz
2009-10-23, 11:50 PM
Dax looks over and catches Saera's glance, "What is your problem?"

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-23, 11:57 PM
For his part, Winslow spends the last several seconds in an almost zen-like state of surreal disbelief. What in bloody Khyber was going on? What was this crazy elf lady whispering about? Why had his lovely party gone so terribly wrong in the past few minutes?
After a moment his blank stare ceases, and he claps his hands together.
"...Well! Saera, Dax..." he says, before cupping his hands over his mouth and directing his voice towards the baffled Relian and his... dance partner, "Relian! Darrshan! *ahem* Well, seeing how we all find ourselves at this juncture together, in close proximity, I would like to invite you all to a table for a hopefully brief discussion of sorts. It won't take long; I shan't keep you from enjoying what's left of the evening. I was hoping Bert would join us, but he seems indisposed at the moment. Would someone be so good as to find my friend Alyanna d'Thuranni, as well?"
Winslow straightens his doublet, and begins clearing off a nearby table.
"I could use another drink..."
Seizing a nearby glass of champagne, the halfling looks after the retreating form of Russo. He sincerely hoped he wouldn't have to bribe him. Perhaps what Saera said was true... Winslow was no stranger to the frustration and challenges that faced those of the Dragonmarked Houses.
"Saera, I know we've just met, but I must say I'm glad to finally meet you."
As Dax reacts to the elf's focused stare, Winslow realizes why.
"Ah- Dax, this is Saera, a new acquaintance of mine. Please, she means you no disrespect, I'm sure. Let's all take a moment to cool down..."

Wiz
2009-10-24, 12:01 AM
Dax looks at Winslow, "I'm perfectly aware of who she is, we've studied in the library together often enough, but I don't see why she's looking at me like I just stole her favorite book."

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-24, 12:09 AM
Winslow moves up to Dax, muttering in a low voice.
"My dear, if you know her, you would not be surprised by her unique... behavior. She's an artist. An extremely gifted, apparently very sensitive and perceptive artist. And she's not splashing alcohol on you, or whisking you about like a rag-doll, or throwing punches. I'm thankful she even came. Now, please, let's sit down and get to know each other, hmm?"
There is a hint of desperation in the halfling's voice.

The_Snark
2009-10-24, 12:12 AM
Saera smiles down at Winslow. "Me, too."

She looks back at Dax. "We have met," she agrees. The frown of a few moments before is gone now, replaced with her usual far-off expression, as she tries to explain. "He was unhappy and you mocked him. His family..." She struggles to express something she doesn't quite understand, and finally settles for a shrug. "Not happy."

Wiz
2009-10-24, 12:22 AM
Dax calms down just a bit, "I mocked him? He was accusing Relian of putting on airs because of his House, yet he is from a dragonmarked house as well. His behavior was the height of hypocrasy. I'm sorry he's not happy, but if he was truly drunk neither sadness nor being drunk gives him the right to paw at me or then try to hit the man who stopped him from pawing at me."

Stabby
2009-10-24, 07:00 AM
Resisted Grapple Check [roll0]
Perform (Dance) [roll1]

To see if I was swept away by the singing kitty

Winslow, I am so sorry. I was trying to avoid any unpleasantness. I try to intercede with Lady Dax here and made a muck of things. With a sigh, Relian's shoulders slump. That fellow was a d'Canith you say?

appending_doom
2009-10-24, 08:22 AM
Russo doesn't stop, but he does glance backward at Bertrand. "I'm in no mood, tonight. You can find me in the library tomorrow, if you still want to speak. Bring the playwright."

Back at the small gathering, one of the half-elves, the slighter one dressed in scarves and black, and who some of the gathering knows as Titch, shakes her head at Dax.

"Power among the houses isn't only a matter of blood -- although those with the right blood wield more influence than those without. Russo must live up to the Cannith name to be able to have any of his own influence, and at that, he's failed spectacularly.

"One might imagine greater pressure for him to excel at the Cannith arts, given that Cannith is not what it once was." This last is almost a scolding; as it is, it is a grim reminder that whatever any of the other houses lost in the Mourning, Cannith lost its head, and possibly its heart.

Wiz
2009-10-24, 09:21 AM
Dax is obviously beginning to fume again, "You think I don't know about the Dragonmarked Houses and how they can be cruel to their own children!?" She pauses and takes a breath, "Whatever... fine... I am the villian this evening. Out of all the events that have taken place, my words against the drunk who pawed at me and hit this man are the worst thing that happened. Anyone else care to tell me how wrong I've been?"

kemmotar
2009-10-24, 10:58 AM
Lorsk frowns as she digs up in her memory trying to piece together from what she's heard what it is that Russo wants...it must be something with his inability to actually do magic...but...:

Knowledge (Sharn) : [roll0] + AP [roll1]

EDIT: by the gods what a crappy roll...and a wasted AP in hopes of a high original roll...

Scow2
2009-10-24, 11:56 AM
After Relian reflexively broke Darrshan's hasty grip and threw the catman off him, Darrshan let his momentum carry him quite a distance from the conflict. He continued to sing as he rolled away, atempting to make the failed grab look intentional. "...I said Young Man, 'cause you're new in a town. There's. no. need to. be unhapp-y," he continued to sing, but trailed off from the song before he could move on to the next verse due to the lack of diffusing effect it had on the situation. Damn... mission failed.

After Russo stormed out, Darrshan sheepishly walks up to Relian, and, careful not to touch him, tried to apologize. "Sorry about that... I probably should have gone after the girl," Darrshan apologizes, following up with a wry comment, before he sits down at the table to listen to whatever Winslow had to say.

Tumble Check: [roll0]

kemmotar
2009-10-24, 12:14 PM
Very well then...what time will you be in the library then?

Bertrand asked still keeping up with him.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-24, 12:42 PM
"Well, Dax, from a purely druidic perspective, your artificially enhancing my size was a crime against nature, so tisk tisk." Winslow grins.
"I must say I'm still at a loss as to why things went south so quickly. Relian, Dax, you both seemed to be at the epicenter of it all. What exactly transpired?"

appending_doom
2009-10-24, 12:50 PM
"I don't c--"

Russo visibly checks himself before sighing and shrugging. "Noon? In the end, it doesn't matter. I'll have the same chances whether you find me at the crack of dawn or at dusk."

kemmotar
2009-10-24, 01:13 PM
Though you might have better chances of finding it with my help...

Bertrand's usually convivial manner changes to a serious, matter of fact, business only expression.

Wiz
2009-10-24, 06:45 PM
Dax shrugs, "My mood started to go south when my friend abandoned me on the dance floor to look after his party. Then a drunk almost spilled a drink on me, put an arm around my shoulders, and dragged me to the side to talk at me. Relian saw my discomfiture and whisked me away back into the dance, after which he wanted to talk to you. As we were walking toward you, Russo... the selfsame drunk threw a punch at him for acting all high and mighty about his house." She sighs, "Then when I dared to doubt Russo's drunkenness and mention his hypocrasy, everyone decided to dump on me for being cruel to the drunk."

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-24, 07:10 PM
Winslow began to wonder whether he had just graduated from a University or first grade. He was saddened to see that even after a century of war, the people of Khorvaire could be so nasty to each other.
"Well, that hardly seems worth throwing punches over. It seems there was a failure to communicate on the part of everyone involved. Let us put aside the whole incident.
Well, everyone, the only reason I wanted to steal you from the festivities is to let you know that I'm planning on putting my education to good use, and I consider each and every one of you individuals of talent and integrity. If you would not be against it, I would like to stay in touch with each of you. Opportunities abound in this fair city (and beyond), and I may need your help. I know it sounds rather shallow, but I would very much like to secure a certain amount of financial independence from my family, utilizing talents not usually needed in the Hosteler's Guild. I suppose I'm looking into... 'adventuring,' if you want to use the vernacular. Fortune and glory, all of that rot. I feel as if my life could use a surge of adrenaline and excitement, and if any of you feel similar urges, I beg of you to keep my humble talents in mind. Nobody ever got anywhere in life by their lonesome, and if you're at a loss as to what to do upon graduation, well... you can find me in Dragon Towers."

The_Snark
2009-10-24, 07:53 PM
Saera hesitates, words tangling themselves up and dying on her tongue, because Dax has a point: that was not proper behavior. She likes and pities Russo, and the things Dax is saying don't feel right for him. But she also likes Dax, who seems more and more unhappy by the minute.

She settles for reaching out to rest a hand on Dax's shoulder while Winslow speaks. Whatever she thought, the changeling was not the villain of the piece. That was the mark of a good tragedy: there was no villain, only heroes, and yet it still ended badly.

Wiz
2009-10-24, 08:11 PM
Dax looks over at Saera and smiles a little, she nods to Winslow. "Perhaps I've had discomfitures, but I have acted more negatively to them than the kind of person I want to be should have. I'm all for listening to prospects for adventure... It seems, despite his behavior, that Russo had something in mind, perhaps we could all visit him on the morrow to find out what it was, and I could apologize for my insensitive comments."

Stabby
2009-10-25, 07:01 AM
Relian exchanges a look with Winslow. Why do these kinds of things always happen to me? At your parties too! With a rueful laugh, Relian glances towards the bar, considering a drink. I swear its all a plot.

It would seem he has a sore spot for dragonmarked heirs. I should apologize to this Russo as well. While his own house may have been cruel, I can at least be kind. After all, I did end up with the girl.

Realizing what he had just said as well as the the implications in such, Relian looks almost stunned. He cast a quick glance at Winslow, a help me out plea if ever there was one.

appending_doom
2009-10-25, 09:29 AM
"That's the hope," Russo replies. "Until then."

kemmotar
2009-10-25, 09:53 AM
Very well then, until tomorrow...

Bertrand turned on his heel, returning to Olladra's arms at a brisk pace. He looks around locating the table where Winslow is sitting.

Vince, it appears I have some interesting information. Interested in adventure? I have the info, you have the people..just like old times eh?

Scow2
2009-10-25, 11:58 AM
"I'd be more than glad to adventure with you, Winslow. I'll be a certified Archeologist guard after graduation, to provide any muscle any expeditions require. I'm also a decent scout and wilderness survivalist," Darrshan offered to Winslow at the offer of an adventure. "And if everyone wants to go visit Russo tomorrow, I advise not going in at once... he might easily mistake your intentions for something less benign."

Wiz
2009-10-25, 12:29 PM
Dax smiles and puts her arm through Relian's again. "Well, you did rescue me from loutish behavior... so I suppose you did end up with the girl." She looks at Relian, "So now that you have me... what are you going to do with me?"

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-25, 01:50 PM
Winslow returns Relian's look with a smirk and a shrug. You've just dug your own grave, there, sir.
The halfling looks up as Bertrand approaches the table.
"Well well... You might be on to something, Bert. Come, join us. I trust you know most of who's gathered here. I was just beginning to toss around some ideas."
He looks around the restaurant. The commotion from the brief fight had died down considerably, and people were returning to drinking, dancing, eating, and talking. It was growing late, and he assumed people would begin leaving soon. Staring out at the glittering lights of Sharn, Winslow reflected on the beauty and comfort he had grown accustomed to. Just beyond the windows and balconies of this tower was a field of glowing stars, so close one could almost touch them, and beyond the city glittered the Ring of Siberys and the moons... Was rummaging around in the light-less, secret places of the world really what he wanted? It would be easy enough to simply take up the mantle of his family: slowly become a wealthy, jolly, fat halfling, the proud owner of a fine inn or restaurant.
But what if the war should start up again? What if the Mourning was only the beginning of things to come? Winslow knew that the time he had to travel, explore, and follow his own whims was finite. No... now that there was relative peace, it was time to act foolishly. Responsibility would always be there next year, or the year after that.

Stabby
2009-10-25, 05:05 PM
Relian glances at Dax, and clears his throat while color rises to his cheeks. Um, well I think that I - I mean we all could use a drink and then discuss future plans. Or should that wait till tomorrow for that discussion?

justice_fishy
2009-10-25, 05:17 PM
"That sounds good actually" sliding up to Relian and the rest, sitting down, not so drunk anymore, a bit of a grin on her face, looking nothing but amused since the entire fracas began. "Great party Winslow, by the by~"

appending_doom
2009-10-25, 05:20 PM
The evening is drawing on, and many of the guests departing. Still, for those who desire it, it is not over; several small groups of students have remained, still.

It is not so late that the Arms' staff is jumping to clean and get to sleep, but the gaunt halfling who owns the place has appeared; he waits on the edge of the groups, and nods to Winslow when an opportunity presents itself.

One notable pair of students have remained behind: the half-elves Titch and Osyl. The former, the starched, brightly-colored scarves of her dress starting to droop, approaches Darrshan the moment the young man is free from the conversations with his companions.

Osyl stands behind her, not appearing to be paying much attention to the world around her.

"You're quite a fine dancer," Titch announces to Darrshan. "It's something I wouldn't mind seeing again, even if I have to teach you to appear interested myself." She smiles at Darrshan, as if to convince him there's no hard feelings.

She holds out a small card of parchment to him. "If you're willing to show yourself off, I'd be willing to put in a word for you to get you into my circles, even for an evening." She winks at him.

kemmotar
2009-10-25, 05:21 PM
Bertrand glances around the table, no one objectionable...

Indeed, I know most, either by name or reputation...well met my friends. I have it on good authority that Professor Rothcollor is looking for assistants. Something about a ship lost decades ago in need of...recovery, I suspect Karn's Glory or Vision of Eternity..perhaps the Drowned Bulette. I know all of us have recently graduated and Darrshan here is a good friend of mine.

Bertrand extends his hand touching Darrshan on the shoulder tousling his fur a bit and smiles.

Who among you are then interested in this venture? If any of you are indeed interested, how about we meet and go to the professor to inquire about this?

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-25, 06:15 PM
"Well, that's certainly more specific than any of my vague babbling. Color me interested. If they need any three foot tall objects to plug up any leaks, consider me the cork of choice. Where should we meet? University commons? The fountain in the courtyard?"
Winslow perks up a bit, now that there's an actual opportunity before him.

Wiz
2009-10-25, 07:49 PM
Dax smiles, a little amused by Relian's discomfiture. "Well, it sounds like we have a couple of plans... were we going to meet with Russo first and then look up this professor? Once we've got that set Relian and I can plan out the rest of our evening."

Scow2
2009-10-26, 06:51 PM
Darrshan takes the parchment with an absent-minded nod, and forgets to mention he's still illiterate beyond the ability to recognise the letter "X". He might investigate it later, but right now he's more interested in the conversation around him, listening in silence.

kemmotar
2009-10-26, 07:42 PM
Ah vince, stop your worrying. I'm sure you're far more useful than just as the cork of choice. Nevertheless, why don't we all meet on Sul to discuss it with the professor himself?

Almost as an afterthought, Bertrand turns to Dax:

Though I'm curious miss, I believe you mentioned Russo. I assume you are indeed referring to the gentleman with which you had an....argument..a while ago. You would go and see him once more? I feel I should warn you. If you go intent on demanding an apology from a more sober and presumably logical version of him, I believe his bitterness and once already bruised ego will be slow to warm up to the idea of realizing he has indeed behaved like an ass. May I suggest that you leave him a few days to cool off?

Wiz
2009-10-26, 09:01 PM
Dax blinks, "No... I was going to apologize to him. True, he acted like an ass - but I reacted to his behavior rather poorly. More poorly than I would have wished from myself."

kemmotar
2009-10-26, 10:41 PM
Well even so, Russo Loide is a bitter man. Tragic story really...perhaps our playwright would appreciate the irony...

Bertrand smiled in Saera's direction.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-27, 12:26 AM
Winslow sips at his champagne, mulling over the future possibilities.
"Yes... I haven't heard much of this Russo chap, but from what I've heard so far he seems quite the interesting fellow. Besides, House Cannith always needs sundry things done, this and that, here and there. It might be prudent to divine where Russo's loyalties lie, exactly; Cannith hasn't been the same since we lost Cyre, and we don't want to mistake him for a Merrix man as opposed to a Jorlanna one. Finding him in Sharn, one would assume he's mostly concerned with the southern branch of the family, but one never knows..."

The_Snark
2009-10-27, 01:04 AM
Saera is smiling faintly and occasionally nodding as she listens to the conversation. Or perhaps as she doesn't listen; she doesn't respond to Bertrand at all until she notices he's looking at her.

She startles slightly, then refocuses her gaze on him and smiles as if to say, Can I help you?

kemmotar
2009-10-27, 07:19 AM
Still looking at Saera, part curiously, part with deep interest:

I was just saying that you amongst us might appreciate the irony of Russo Loide's life better than any of us...do you...know the story?

Wiz
2009-10-27, 08:05 AM
Dax pipes in, "Well, I haven't heard the whole story... so if you'd like to tell us."

justice_fishy
2009-10-27, 08:46 AM
"I'd rather like to hear it myself too for that matter" Alyanna looking at the assembled, chair still tipped back.

kemmotar
2009-10-27, 09:15 AM
Well...You all know Russo d'Cannith. I propose to introduce to you, the man, Russo Loide. As a Cannith he is a genius and no one will say different and holds great power. Alas, Russo Loide, is the bitter man. A failure in the eyes of his family, the House Cannith and most of all himself.

He pauses a second looking into the faces of those gathered around him.

Despite the money he has poured into it, despite the favours he has called in and those he owes he's failed every attempt at practicing magic, though he be a, perhaps, unrivaled genius in the selfsame field. Word has it he came to Morgrave after having failed at an Aundair temple of Aureon.

It appears he has once again in Morgrave if anyone can be the judge of that last drinking marahon and his foul mood. But of course, his pride would never allow him to admit it or give up...a bitter, tragic man.

justice_fishy
2009-10-27, 09:26 AM
"So..." Alyanna contemplating after a moment, "brilliant at the theoretical but terrible at the practical? Rather unfortunate story there. I can see how he'd be nothing but a bitter, angry, raging shell of a man driven to drink and nothing but."

Scow2
2009-10-27, 01:17 PM
Darrshan grows bored of the conversation, not really caring about Russo. "Pardon me, but I think this party's over for me," With that, he stands up, and heads off to return to his dorm.

The_Snark
2009-10-27, 05:12 PM
Saera's face shifts through a series of difficult-to-read expressions as Bertrand speaks, as if she's trying to puzzle something out. As he finishes, however, it settles in a cool mask of disapproval: chin held high, eyes remote, lips tilted just slightly downwards in a frown. The elf deliberately—theatrically, one might say—turns her back on the noble and the circle of people listening, and begins to walk away, heading in the direction of the bar.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-27, 05:24 PM
Winslow sits with his elbow on the table, and he casually re-carbonates his champagne with the help of his still-active dragonmark.
"We seem to be losing people. As is to be expected. Well, ladies and gentlemen, this is all sounding rather promising, but I don't think I'll pay a visit to this Russo fellow. I've nothing profound to say to him, but if he does offer some manner of opportunity and there is room for a chap like myself, well, do keep me in mind.
*sigh* I suppose I should help our generous hosts begin the cleanup process. Here's to a fine evening."
He finishes off his glass, and starts straightening the folds in the table cloth with lazy waves of his hand.

kemmotar
2009-10-27, 06:17 PM
Bertrand's eyes follow Saera to the bar and half rises as he says:

Very well Vince, shall we all agree then to meet Sul at midday outside Proffessor Rothcollor's office to discuss the pilla...ehmm...archeological dig?

Wiz
2009-10-27, 08:39 PM
Dax purses her lips, but doesn't say anything as Saera walks away. She turns to Relian, "So... would you like to take me for a drink somewhere? They look like they want to close this place up."

appending_doom
2009-10-27, 08:50 PM
Most of the other guests have, in fact, drifted away in ones and twos. The manager of the Arms, a stocky, white-haired halfling, oversees the servants cleaning the deserted corners of the room.

When he sees Winslow stand up, he drifts over.

"I heard about the to-do earlier. It sounded like tensions ran a little high. Nobody got hurt, did they?"

kemmotar
2009-10-27, 09:05 PM
Bertrand shrugged at what he took to be silent acceptance and wandered whether he would see them as he stepped away from the bar and sidled up to Saera.

It's interesting to watch you Miss playwright. A woman of few words, but your face says quite a bit. It seems you made up your mind about something and it wasn't good...and yet the question is...how do you know Russo Loide?

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-28, 12:24 PM
Winslow snaps to attention as the owner of the Arms approaches, again all manners, grace, and tact.
"Ah, yes, I'm afraid there was a brief 'exchange of ideas,' if you will. Nobody was injured, though perhaps some feelings were hurt. Nothing more became of it. I am sorry, though. Hopefully word of it won't spread too far beyond this evening... we can trust the alcohol to weaken certain memories, perhaps. At any rate, let me know if you need any help closing shop as the evening winds down. I'm at your disposal."

The_Snark
2009-10-28, 01:43 PM
Saera pauses in pouring herself another glass of wine, looking a little nonplussed at the question. It's been a long night, and she struggles both with figuring out what Bertrand is asking and with how much she wants to tell him.

"We've spoken," she finally answers, swiveling about to face the young nobleman more directly. "And how do you know him? Has he spoken with you too, perhaps, told you all those things and asked you to share them with the world?" She leans forward, fixing him with a much more focused look than she's worn all evening.

appending_doom
2009-10-28, 02:25 PM
"As good a guest as host, eh?" the owner asks cannily, grinning. He shakes his head and claps Winslow on the shoulder. "Don't worry yourself about clean-up; others take good money to do it for me. See your guests safely out, and I'll take care of my hall."

kemmotar
2009-10-28, 03:09 PM
Bertrand smiled, I have her attention it seems. Interesting, Lorsk thought taking a small sip of the golden liquor in her glass.

You disapprove of my...sharing with the others what I know of him. Perhaps you are correct, but I said merely what is common knowledge outside the university's protected halls.

Bertrand leaned closer, he lowered his voice and fixed his eyes on Saera:

I respected both his privacy and yours else I would have mentioned that he has asked to meet both you and I tomorrow. I believe he has a request we might be able to help him with and he did ask for you specifically. So my questions stands unanswered. How do you know him?

The_Snark
2009-10-28, 05:01 PM
"We met, and we spoke." Saera sounds a little irritated at having to repeat herself, and speaks slowly, as if Bertrand won't understand if she goes faster. "I often visit Morgrave to read; we met there. In the library."

She pauses here, to see if this satisfies the inquisitive noble.

kemmotar
2009-10-28, 05:05 PM
sense motive to see if Saera is hiding something: [roll0]

kemmotar
2009-10-28, 05:45 PM
Bertrand relaxed a bit and a smile settled on his face again...he could never reliably read Saera, that's why he liked her...

I too have spoken to him, albeit rarely. Will you then join me tomorrow to hear what he has to say?

The_Snark
2009-10-28, 06:37 PM
Saera blinks, but this time the bit about going to see Russo seems to sink in. She nods, and downs the rest of her wineglass, in hopes that it will make the world around her a little clearer. Sadly, it doesn't, and she wonders briefly whether she should even bother going home. It wouldn't be as warm, but if she could find an alley to curl up in for the night then she wouldn't have to go down all those stairs...

kemmotar
2009-10-28, 07:54 PM
Bertrand looks her over once more, she nodded eh...didn't even ask what time or where. Though she agreed it seems I'm not really getting through am I...

How about a late night walk in the cool night air?...It might refresh us from the night's drinking...you do after all seem unstable on your feet.

Concerned as she was about Saera, there was one greater priority. Russo wanted something and he wanted Saera. Saera instantly became an asset and she was going to make sure she made it to the meeting the next morning...

The_Snark
2009-10-28, 09:27 PM
Saera looks down at her feet. Do they look unstable? She can't tell but it's a worrying thought. "There are a thousand stairs between me and my home," she says aloud, half to Bertrand and half to herself. She thinks for a moment (and does, in fact, sway a bit, either from alcohol or fatigue), and then decides, "All right."

She starts making her way to the door, apparently assuming that Bertrand will follow.

kemmotar
2009-10-28, 09:52 PM
Really? A thousand steps? Surely you must be overdramatizing this?

Bertrand says as he follows here to the exit, holding the door for her.

Where do you live anyway?

The_Snark
2009-10-29, 01:20 AM
"I have not," Saera allows, "counted all of them." She steps through the door and stops, raising her arms to better feel the night's chill. The heat inside Olladra's Arms had not bothered her; it was a trifling thing next to the heat of her home. But the air had been a little stifling near the end, and anyway she rather savored the cold. It was not often that she experienced any sort of cold at all, and almost never in the form of cool night breezes. "I tried to, once. I think maybe I lost count." Saera's head tilts upwards as she looks at the sky. "I decided afterward that it doesn't matter, because whatever the real number is, it cannot sound more poetic than a thousand."

"I live in the Cogs," she adds as an afterthought, staring at the Ring of Syberys. She loved her home, despite or perhaps because of the heat, the dimness and the eternal pounding of the foundries, but it didn't afford her a view of the night sky...

Stabby
2009-10-29, 05:42 AM
Relian is very discomforted (and strangely warm) from the gleam in Dax's eyes. Um, well there is this... wait! I have an idea. A flash of inspiration transform him from an uncertain youth to his bard persona.

With a wink and a bow, Relian bounds away to whisper into the ear of the barkeep. A flash of silver changes hands.

Relian just bought himself a picnic basket with a late supper/early breakfast for two, a bottle of good wine, and a dining cloth to spread on the ground. Is that available and how much will it cost me

Just like the "Ballad of the Rogue Heir" With a smile, he walks back to Dax. I know a place with a beautiful view of the city, care to join me?

Wiz
2009-10-29, 07:53 AM
At the sudden, romantic inspiration, Dax's playing with Relian ends and she honestly smiles, "I'd love to."

appending_doom
2009-10-29, 07:56 AM
5 gp for the meal, I'd say.

kemmotar
2009-10-29, 08:36 AM
Well poetic license dictates and so a thousand steps it is! Though the cogs? You must excuse my saying so, but the cogs hardly seem a good place to try to reach this time of the night. I've heard that a lot of nasty things go on down there? Are you sure you want to try and go there at this time of night? My apartment is not far from here and enjoys a nice view of Sharn, it's in the outer edges of one of the towers.

After a second he realizes he just asked a lady to his home...

No hanky panky, I promise and the bed is quite comfortable. The night is cool and comfortable, we could open the windows and let the breeze in.

OOC: he really means no hanky panky, but he's open to the possiblity...

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-29, 12:40 PM
Winslow is secretly grateful to the owner of the restaurant.
"If you insist, good sir. You've already been more than generous to me."
He casually swings by the kitchens, making a note of how many people were working this evening. He planned on leaving them a nice tip for their trouble.
Winslow silently watches as his friends and acquaintances slowly drift out and away, into the warm darkness of night.
They say that you lose friends over time, especially the ones you make at school. Hopefully these potential prospects will keep us together a while longer.

justice_fishy
2009-10-29, 01:31 PM
"Well, tonight was rather interesting" the elf from behind Winslow, grinning off at the departing others. "I think this meeting tomorrow might be quite profitable, don't you agree?"

The_Snark
2009-10-30, 02:54 AM
"Closer," Saera says thoughtfully. "View..." That seems to decide her; she snaps her head down in a decisive nod and starts walking. She gets all of one step before realizing she doesn't know where she's going, and turns around to look at Bertrand expectantly.

kemmotar
2009-10-30, 08:07 AM
Bertrand breaks out in a clear ringing laugh, he begins to walk and leads Saera to the appartment.Bertrand leads her in trying to make small talk all the way, asking about her and her family, how come she came to be in Morgrave and whether she was looking forward to Rothcollor's expedition.

The appartment itself is modest, clean and well kept, with few if any personal items apart from clothes and necessities. He leads her to the bedroom and opens the windows for her so she enjoy both the view and the breeze.The bed is soft and comfortable, he linen clean and smells slightly of lime.

Scow2
2009-10-30, 04:04 PM
Darrshan waits outside Bertrand's apartment, wanting to follow up on his friend's "proposition" before going to his dorm, in case the proposition was a one-night offer. He'd be suprised by Bertrand's arrival, not alone, but with a girl following behind him. "Hello... and who's this?" he asks, standing up straight to greet his friend and the unknown girl.

Stabby
2009-10-30, 04:33 PM
With a smile, a beautiful lady, and picnic basket, Relian leaves the party with a jaunty step. Just remember your tales and it will be fine

Hailing a skycoach, Relian directs the conductor to Central Plateau, specifically Skysedge Park.
So, tell me the tale of Lady Dax and her adventurers at Morgraive?

The_Snark
2009-10-30, 05:34 PM
Saera proves very difficult to make small talk with; it's hard to tell whether it's because of the fatigue and the alcohol, or if she's just always like this, but most of Bertrand's attempted conversations veer sideways as some whimsy strikes her, or else die abruptly when she stops talking.

She doesn't notice the cat-man at first, continuing a couple steps onwards and stopping only when she realizes Bertrand has paused for some reason. She swings around and then sees him, examining them both with wide, curious eyes.

Wiz
2009-10-30, 06:39 PM
Dax smiles, "There isn't much to say about me... yet. Hopefully, that will come with time. Currently I'm just a Morgrave student of wizardry, though I've had the advantage of mentorship with Professor Smyth. I actually have been on expedition with him to Xen'drik." She pauses and her smile becomes fainter, "I hope it doesn't cool your ardor - but I prefer to be honest about myself. I'm a changeling." Her form shifts slightly and she shrinks to Relian's height, while her ears take on faint points - she looks the same, but like a half-elven verson of her previous appearance. "Of course, some find that a plus." She winks and her assets expand til the stability of her dress comes into serious question.

kemmotar
2009-10-30, 06:54 PM
Darrshan...what a pleasant surprise. Come in come in...let me introduce to you miss Saera. We have an early meeting tomorrow and her house was far away, so she will be taking over my bed tonight. But let us go inside.

Bertrand unlocks the door and ushers his guests inside:

Will you join us for a drink before going to sleep Saera or should I show you where you will be sleeping? Oh and no need to worry, I'll sleep on the couch. Darrshan, will you take a drink?

Stabby
2009-10-30, 08:45 PM
Um... is his only reply as he tears his gaze away from her obvious assets.
So you are a changling. And that affects who I watch the sun rise with, how? His puzzlement at her statement causes him to forget the implied statement in his words. Who cares you race? I will say that your much easier on the eyes than an Orc, but does that matter? As he says this, his eyes are again drawn to her straining clothing and color rises to his face. Um, but to ease my eye and save your clothing, could you possibly *cough* revert to how you were?

Wiz
2009-10-30, 09:05 PM
Dax blinks, a little surprised by his race comments, but as her features shift back the smile on her face is wide, and by the light in her eyes, quite genuine. "So... can you tell me about yourself?"

Scow2
2009-10-30, 11:40 PM
Darrshan follows his friend inside. "Pleased to meet you," he says to the woman, forgetting the name as soon as he heard it.

"From you, How could I refuse?" the cheetah-man answers, finding a chair to make himself comfortable in. "Anyway, I'm just here because you said you had a proposition for me earlier?"

CockroachTeaParty
2009-10-31, 12:45 AM
(Back at Olladra's Arms...)

Winslow turns as Alyanna speaks up.
"Ah, Miss d'Thuranni. You've been rather quiet this evening, all things considered. I do hope you enjoyed yourself. I'm actually rather relieved it's coming to a conclusion, here. I was just considering returning to my chambers in Dragon Towers. Do you require an escort to your place of residence, m'lady? Sharn at night can be a dangerous place. You never know when you might need a three foot tall speed bump in the wake of a hasty retreat."

(Winslow will gladly see Alyanna home, and shoot the breeze, etc. But I am ready to move on, failing anything else particularly interesting transpiring.)

Stabby
2009-10-31, 07:42 AM
With a far away look, Relian looks out over skyline of Sharn. Honestly, there isn't much to tell. I'm almost a parody of a Lyrander. Relian strikes a comically heroic pose, the sort seen as a statue to royals who never did anything. I was just a talented child who wanted to be a navigator like my dad. Then I manifested... and fame for my House meant music could be my calling. With a sly grin, he glances back at Dax. But I'll sail, someday I'll sail again. Just like my dad.

kemmotar
2009-10-31, 11:24 AM
Indeed...

Bertrand walked to a wooden cabinet containing a several bottles, he takes one out and pours two glasses of red liquor. He hands one to Darrshan and then makes himself comfortable on one of the couches.

I want you to come with me to this expedition...though I may also need your help on another matter.

Bertrand leaned forward, ignoring the drink in his hand.

What say you? After all I didn't get an answer from you at the party.

Wiz
2009-10-31, 01:13 PM
Dax nods, "Well... family pressure to be something. It might not always be nice, but it can be better than... other kinds of treatment." She looks at Relian, "I think you'll sail, if you want to. I think you could do anything you set your mind to."

Scow2
2009-10-31, 02:52 PM
Darrshan relaxes in the friendlier atmosphere, taking the drink graciously. At least now with the issue cleared up, he could stop second-guessing himself. "What expedition are you referring to?" he asks, "And sorry about my non-response at the party... the circumstances were too awkward to give a clear answer."

kemmotar
2009-10-31, 03:10 PM
Awkward? I wonder what you're referring to....but business first, pleasure later...I've learned that professor Rothcollor is preparing an expedition. Knowing him he's probably found one of the giants' ships...or something equally interesting. Nevertheless...it will be interesting and potentially quite lucrative. I thought I'd inform you...it'll be good to have a familiar and trustworthy face around.

Scow2
2009-10-31, 06:23 PM
Darshaan's face immediately ignites at the offer. "Of course I'm interested! I've not been able to follow any leads..." he answers. "Count me in."

kemmotar
2009-10-31, 06:34 PM
Excellent, we will all meet at midday of Sul outside professor Rothcollor's office. The others you must have met on the table, they are friends of Winslow's and if he trusts them then so do I...

Scow2
2009-10-31, 07:56 PM
Darshaan nods. "Alright... I'll be there. Anything else you wanted to tell me, or should I return to my own living quarters now?"

kemmotar
2009-10-31, 10:22 PM
Well, not at the moment...though perhaps you do...a little, midnight confession perhaps? Where none can hear?

Bertrand smiled mischievously as he got up and sat next to Darrshan and fiddled his whiskers with his fingers...

Scow2
2009-11-01, 10:19 PM
Darrshan immediately became uncomfortable with Bertrand's advance, untrusting of his own motivations while under the influence. He shook his head in refusal to play along. "Well, if there's nothing left to be said, I'm returning to my home," Darrshan answers, his tone polite but firm. With that serving as his goodbye, he leaves to return to his own bedroom.

appending_doom
2009-11-01, 10:41 PM
The evening continues relentlessly towards dawn, and amid the slowly-lightening darkness, those outside can feel a sense of weight, even in Sharn. The air is uncharacteristically heavy, and an uncertain silence blanketing the city.

It is a sense of uncertainty and of waiting, and Siberys glitters oddly. Some believe Siberys is meant to reflect the fate of Eberron, and any oddity is worth notice; the violet tint to the Ring, however, seems to have no real reflection on events in Eberron.

Still, tomorrow is another day. Anything can happen.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-11-02, 01:32 AM
Winslow rises from his soft, comfortable, halfling-proportioned feather bead in his private room within the House Ghallanda enclave in Dragon Towers. He had been spending more time there, slowly moving his few personal belongings out of his old apartment in Menthis in preparation for graduation. The number of amenities and rooms designed for folk of Winslow's height was a welcome change, but privacy was greatly reduced amid the hustle and bustle of his cousins, aunts, uncles, and more distant relations. Not to say the enclave was the biggest center of Ghallanda activity in Sharn; an almost equal presence could be found in Little Plains and sections of the old city.
Winslow was well trained in social gatherings, as well as their aftermath. He never drank enough to earn himself a hangover, and he drank deep of the crisp, delicious, dragonmarked-purified water so easily found within the enclave to dispel the thirst generated from the previous evening's imbibing.
He had slept in late, sleeping right through breakfast. His stomach growled, reminding him that it existed. Deciding to enjoy the muggy, rain-free afternoon, Winslow decides to take a familiar route of lifts and sky bridges back to upper Menthis, to see what the Commons had to offer. A hot, cheap, authentic meal from a street peddler sounded right in order after the previous evening's more expensive, quality morsels.
And one never knew just who one might run into whilst wandering the towers of Morgrave University...

kemmotar
2009-11-02, 07:42 AM
Having shown Darrshan out, fatigue settled on Lorsk slowly. Gathering the glasses, she placed them on the kitchen table and checked to see if Saera was sleeping. Satisfied she lays on the couch to catch a few hours of sleep before the days begins.

Lorsk, as anyone who grew up in the lower levels of sharn, was a light sleeper and so she could not help but wake up early when the light streamed in through the windows. She dressed Bertrand a bit more appropriately, strapping the sleeve blade onto her right arm, and a dagger on her side, she put on the scholar's outfit and went out in search of information concerning Russo before Saera woke up.

She headed out in the early morning and grabbed some hot tea from from Mrs Miggin's and headed out. On her way back she would pick up some rolls and cake...

gather info, what is known in the university about him: [roll0]
time: [roll1] x10 minutes

appending_doom
2009-11-02, 09:32 AM
It is too early and too sparse for anyone of substance to be available to comment on Russo's nature. He studies magical theory, for wont of any other subject, and is quite intelligent.

One person does note that Russo's given name, a family name of some sort, is 'Karsus'.

Wiz
2009-11-02, 11:08 AM
Dax & Relian:Dax is warmed by the wine and by Relian's occasional glances, pleased to know he finds her attractive despite her race. She enjoys the conversation and freely and openly talks about herself and asks about him. The only thing she will not share is her connection to House Orien/her mother's full name. She will mention that her mother's family disowned her when she married a changeling, if it comes up during the talk. She also realizes as the night goes on that not much else will be happening, but she's okay with that - getting a distinct impression of Relian's inexperience in certain areas. After that realization she tries to keep the conversation away from areas that are uncomfortable to him, and enjoys the sunrise with him before returning to her small apartment to rest before seeking out Russo.

kemmotar
2009-11-02, 12:51 PM
Returning from her mostly unsuccessful attempt to find anything useful about Russo..apart from the fact that he apparently had yet another name...."well I'm running low on time so I better be back" she thought.

She picked up some rolls and sweetstuffs and some ready savoury dishes for breakfast as well as some tea. She set the table and heated the tea and went to wake Saera, nudging her gently she whispered:

Wakey wakey sunshine...it's a new day in our wonderfully corrupt city and the duties of the duties of the day call...and I have nice and tasty breakfast for you!!

justice_fishy
2009-11-02, 01:57 PM
Alyanna wakes up leisurely in the well appointed apartment she rents, rather glad about her accommodations as she makes her way to the meeting spot at the appointed time, rather curious to see what all this is going to lead to and waiting for the others to show up.

appending_doom
2009-11-02, 10:22 PM
Sar, 21 Dravago, YK 998

The day dawns bright but cool. Shoppers and others are gathered in the commercial districts, the crowds slightly elevated in anticipation of graduations and other celebrations of Aureon.

Morgrave University, preparing for its own event, one of many celebrating those who have grown up following the end of the war, is busy even on Sar, with the notable exception of the library, where the chief librarian watches over few students there to finish up projects or professors researching for expeditions.

The taverns and bars grow crowded as the day progresses; even aside from the normal Sar crowds, people are gathering to discuss improved ties between Breland and Thrane, which some think bodes well for the future of Khorvaire, while others are convinced it will lead to more conflict.

The latest issue of Dispatches from the Mourning has been released, containing tales of those who have ventured into the Mournland, both for good and ill. Of course, many of the tales are sensationalist nonsense, but it doesn't stop the publication from having a wide audience.

It is a good day, it seems, ready for those looking for adventure, companionship, or just a quiet place for a drink.

Wiz
2009-11-03, 09:44 PM
Dax rests for a short while, but is ready to go fairly early and she walks out to the University library to see if Russo is there.

She will arrive at about 11 am (sorry if I don't know the Eberron equivalent). If she sees Russo alone she will walk up to him. "Excuse me, I wanted to apologize for last night." If she sees Russo talking with others she will walk up and wait for an opportunity to say the same thing.

The_Snark
2009-11-04, 02:45 PM
As Lorsk returns, she finds her guest already up and about. Saera is standing by the window, staring out at the sunlit expanse of the tower across the way and absently tracing patterns on the glass with one hand. It isn't the most spectacular view to be found in Sharn—those are found near the tops of the towers, and only the richest can afford them—but it's a view. For the last hour or so, she has been absorbed in watching the sunlight crawl further down the tower from the tip.

She turns around, stares for a moment, and smiles as the words register. "Thank you!" Free food is no longer her only means of holding back starvation, but she remembers when it was, and it's an all-too-rare gift in Sharn.

She moves towards the doorway, pauses to let Bertrand move back through first, and then seats herself at the table happily. "And what," she asks before she starts eating, "duties are calling to you today?"

kemmotar
2009-11-04, 04:04 PM
Lorsk looked quite surprised to see Saera up and about, she had looked really tired and quite drunk last night.

I'm surprised to see you up and about so early, I was expecting to see you sleeping...And of course I refer to our meeting with Russo in the library at midday and of course and I have a few more errands to run later today...How did you sleep then?

Lorsk asked as she set the table.

OOC: btw, what is the cost of a nice breakfast for two so I can remove the cost.

appending_doom
2009-11-06, 10:14 PM
The library is largely empty; most students have found little reason to frequent it after exams, and Sar isn't a busy day for the library even during the most busy times of the year.

Despite the size of the place, it isn't hard to find Russo. The man has commandeered dozens of books in a study carrel near the entrance, reading two or three at once as he takes notes.

He doesn't look like he's suffering from his night of drinking, but in the bright morning light, there are clues of a deep weariness that hadn't been visible the night before.

His skin is sallow, and although his hair is pulled back neatly, it is greasy and thinning. His eyes are sunken, and he has to rub them almost constantly as he reads, almost frantically.

He doesn't immediately reply to Dax's statement, instead continuing to write. A minute passes before he lifts his head, blinking blearily.

"Apologize?" he asks. He frowns thoughtfully for a moment before his expression clears. "I'm certain you had a reason for thinking I was a manipulative pervert!" On the last words, he sweeps aside one of his books, which falls heavily to the floor, a dozen pages flying from the binding and fluttering lazily to the ground.

His face twists uncertainly, and he looks like he might scream again. Or cry. This close, it's clear that one eye is hazel, and the other pale blue.

Wiz
2009-11-06, 11:13 PM
Dax shakes her head, "No, I thought you were an angry man, and your clarity confused me into thinking you weren't drunk. Nevertheless, you were rude, boorish, and loutish... but you had the excuse of being drunk at the time. I was suspicious and cruel, and I had no such excuse. I don't like to think of myself as either of those things, so I am sorry. However motivated, I shouldn't have reacted as I did."

The_Snark
2009-11-07, 05:31 AM
"I slept..." Saera's eyes become unfocused (more o than usual) for a moment, and her fingers pause midway through the process of dismembering a roll. "... well. I dreamed about... I think... birds?" She tilts her head to the side as if emulating one. "I don't know. I can't remember—I didn't write it down when I woke up, and it's always hard to remember once I'm awake. I couldn't find any ink in your room."

She looks around, as if wondering whether there's any ink in this room, and catches sight the roll in her hands. She finishes tearing off a piece, pops it into her mouth, and swallows after only a few chews. "It sounds like it would have been a lovely dream, though," she concludes. "Birds swooping about the towers at night, lit by the Dragon Above." She eats another piece—the roll is vanishing impressively fast. "Sometimes I wish I knew how to write music—I think that would make a better dance than a play."

kemmotar
2009-11-07, 07:02 AM
Lorsk stared into the morning sky, well what was visible through the great towers, as if expecting to see birds flying around, a cup of tea warming her and his fingers. She cut up a roll carefully into equal pieces while listening to Saera.

It must have been a beautiful dream...you're making me regret that I did not make ink and quill readily available. Do you write down the dreams of every night?

She asked with the curiosity akin to that of a little child. Perhaps it was lack of sleep or the strange influence of Saera, but this morning Lork's true character was showing a bit more through the disguise for those who knew where to look.

appending_doom
2009-11-07, 11:24 AM
"Rude, boorish, loutish? Then there's no doubt the blood in my veins is Cannith blood," Russo replies, a bitter twist to his lips. "And I suppose we are all allowed a little leeway to be rude, when our future is so...uncertain." He sighs, bending down to pick up the damaged book, frowning at the torn pages before setting it off to the side on the large table he's commandeered.

After a moment, he looks back up at Dax. "I don't suppose you'd like to stay? I'm waiting for...a friend I'm hoping will help me, and it still stands...I'd meant to ask your help last night. If you'd like to -- I don't mean to make you feel forced -- well, who knows what sort of help I'll need, in the end?"

Wiz
2009-11-07, 01:52 PM
Dax smiles and sits down at Russo's table looking up at him, "We'll let later take care of itself for the moment. How can I help, now?"

appending_doom
2009-11-07, 02:46 PM
Russo opens his mouth to reply, but snaps it shut abruptly, and his gaze darts suddenly to the damaged book on the table.

Prophets and Prophecy -- A History of the Seers of the Aeren Continent it reads, in Elven.

"I don't suppose you can fix this?" he asks wearily. "I've upset Eilyn enough my time here without damaging another book. Ridiculous, isn't it? I've studied for over a decade, and I can't even fix a book without 30 gp worth of binding glue and three days of work."

Eilyn is the head librarian of the Morgrave library system.

Wiz
2009-11-07, 04:52 PM
Dax looks at the book and nods, she speaks a phrase that sounds broken and disjointed, then repeats it and it sounds less fragmentary, on the third repetition it sounds whole, upon which she taps the book and it begins to repair itself.

The_Snark
2009-11-07, 09:28 PM
"Often." Saera finishes her roll and reaches for another without pausing. "Sometimes I run out of paper, though, and then I lose them. Like today."

She falls silent, devoting her full attention to the unfortunate baked goods set before her.

appending_doom
2009-11-07, 09:44 PM
Russo watches the process with something akin to longing. When Dax is finished, he smiles, albeit weakly. "Thanks. If you'd like, you can wait with me for my other friends. Otherwise, well, I do have work to do."

He turns back to his books, this one with a well-worn cover and written in an unfamiliar language.

Wiz
2009-11-07, 10:14 PM
Dax smiles, "Thank you, I would be glad to wait with you. I was never very good at research, but I'll help in any way I can." She pauses, "Thank you also, for considering me a friend after last night's... difficulties."

kemmotar
2009-11-07, 10:24 PM
Lorsk talked with Saera for some time over breakfast, enjoying her tea and rolls. When it was time she got ready and asked Saera to come with her as it was time to meet Russo.

The_Snark
2009-11-08, 02:26 AM
Saera accedes with a nod, rises, and lets herself out of the apartment without any further delay. Just like last night, she is forced to stop by the realization that she doesn't know quite where they're going, and halts just outside the door. Bertrand takes the lead, and the two are off to their noontime appointment a half-hour early.

appending_doom
2009-11-08, 08:14 AM
They arrive at a quiet, mostly empty library, to find Russo surrounded by books of myriad ages and appearances -- elven and goblin texts are scattered among those written in unfamiliar tongues.

The young woman he'd apparently accosted the night before is seated next to him.

At their appearance, he glances up, startled. "Ah! Saera; I'm glad to see you. Sit, please."

kemmotar
2009-11-08, 08:31 AM
It is considered rude to ignore people you know....

Lorsk said as they both approached.

appending_doom
2009-11-08, 08:59 AM
"Bertrand," Russo says wearily. "I'm glad you showed up. Are we expecting anyone else?" He begins to rifle through the books before removing a small, thin volume with the unimpressive title of Morgrave Through the Ages.

kemmotar
2009-11-08, 09:13 AM
Lorsk smiled weakly...was this man dead inside?

Not that I'm aware of...I wasn't expecting to see Dax here either but I believe we can proceed.

Wiz
2009-11-08, 10:30 AM
Dax nods to the newcomers, smiling, "Good afternoon, it's nice to see you again." She seems to be sitting quietly, watching Russo work.

appending_doom
2009-11-08, 03:26 PM
"I'd like you to stay quiet for a moment," Russo begs. "This is hard enough to say without interruptions. I've been studying magic since I was thirteen, and even then, I knew something was...wrong. I understood it well enough -- I probably understood magic better than any child my age. But as time passed, it became clear I couldn't do it.

"It's not just wizardry. My uncle -- Merrix -- sent me to several temples of Aureon before it became clear nothing would work. Every effort I've made -- different schools of thought, different teachers, Sarlonans -- none of it made any difference.

"I've -- my mother finally informed me she won't fund my attempts to master this one failure. I'm certain if I can prove to her a way that will enable me to master magic, I can stay. Or at least be given leave to seek that out.

"And that's where you come in." He opens the small book to a picture of a picturesque, well-lit domed room dominated by a lazing sphinx. "I want you to help me see Flamewind."

Knowledge checks!

Relevants include local, arcana, nobility, and religion.

Wiz
2009-11-08, 06:40 PM
Dax looks over Russo's shoulder to look at the picture. Knowledge (local - Sharn) [roll0]
Knowledge (arcana) [roll1]
Knowledge (nobility) [roll2]
Knowledge (religion) [roll3]

kemmotar
2009-11-08, 07:13 PM
I see...so your name alone hasn't got you in and fighting your way in is not a possibility. That's a toughie...do you have any kind of plan with which we can help?

The_Snark
2009-11-08, 07:33 PM
"She will not let you see her?" Saera asks, puzzled. She had never spoken to the sphinx, but in her experience, few people in Morgrave locked themselves away; you simply had to know where to find them, and you could walk in and talk to them whenever you liked.

appending_doom
2009-11-08, 09:11 PM
"Flamewind is unused to visitors she has not summoned herself. Oh, she has...keepers, of a sort, and presumably friends, among the staff. Madam Eilyn, one supposes. Flamewind doesn't want for books where she lives. But I'm not in the good graces of any of these people." His gaze drops, briefly, to a book much like the others. "I can pay you for your help, if you wish," he adds, hurriedly. "Some might say letting you have as much of a shot of getting a prophecy from Flamewind as me is payment enough, but..."

He produces three pieces of paper, each bearing intricate watermarks and notations, topped with the phrase Letter of Marque. Each has a blank spot where Adventurer's Name is listed.

Wiz
2009-11-08, 09:15 PM
Dax sighs softly, "You're correct, Russo, in that Flamewind would be someone likely to be able to tell you how to overcome your curse, but she doesn't take requests... she summons you, and if I'm not mistaken, she does so because she forsees summoning you." She pauses, "So... what we would have to do is figure out something that would merit her wanting to see you, because then she will forsee that she saw you, and would then summon you." She smiles, "Saera! You must write a play about Flamewind... and Russo, you will have to produce it. When Flamewind forsees it, she will want to talk to you Russo. In fact, if you commit yourself to this right now, she could summon you at any time!"

The_Snark
2009-11-09, 05:22 AM
Saera blinks several times in rapid succession as she tries to work that one out. "But... we would have to actually do it. Write the play. I..." She tilts her head, and her voice becomes firmer and less confused for a moment. "Why would she summon him just because of a play?" A shake of the head, and she sounds flustered again. "Besides, I don't know enough about her to... I don't know how to write about her. There's no..." she fumbles for the proper word, and settles on, "story."

Wiz
2009-11-09, 09:04 AM
Dax smiles, "That is perfect, though! The less accurate the play would be the more likely the summons... either to correct the errors, or to bribe you not to produce it. Just think about how you would write it, while Russo thinks about how he would produce it. Commit yourselves to the project in your minds, and let's see what happens!"

appending_doom
2009-11-09, 11:09 AM
"I suspect Flamewind would be flattered -- but not particularly moved to prophesy -- by such efforts," Russo murmurs. He shrugs. "But who knows? I'm not -- I don't expect you to go of haring away right now with a plan. I want help. I know I'm too close to this, know I'm missing something, but I don't have an idea. I need outside help, and that's why I found you -- all of you. If you can...before Aureon's Crown. I'd like something to celebrate when my peers move on. And when I have my meeting, I'll provide you with your payment."

He taps the letters of marque again, and sighs. "You can tell me it's too much effort, not enough to work with, or you just don't want to do it. I've had failures before, and I'll have more, I know. I can go to Droaam and beg for an audience there. But I'd like to know now if you intend to try."

kemmotar
2009-11-09, 01:00 PM
Well its worth a try though it might be tricky...for starters we'll need to know how we can contact you in the coming days...

Lorsk peeked at the letters of Marquee once more, this could be very useful...not having to smuggle in whatever I get in Xen'drik will greatly cut projected costs...maybe this was as simple as actually getting in...an idea began to form in her mind...

Wiz
2009-11-09, 01:10 PM
Dax shrugs, "Oh well... that was my first idea. If it doesn't seem reasonable to anyone else, we can shelve it." She ponders for a moment, "I'll be pursuing other avenues - but no payment is necessary. If you'd like to give me one of those later, that's fine, but I'm not doing this for payment." She rises and smiles at Lorsk and Saera, "See you all later... I think we're meeting tomorrow, aren't we?" She smiles and nods to Russo, "I'll see what I can do."

Dax turns and walks away, murmuring to herself as if trying to work something out in her head.

For the DM:Go to see Professor Cord Smyth, ask him if there is someway he can think of that I, and/or Russo can get in to see Flamewind (we can RP this out if you wish, here or in pms)

Scow2
2009-11-09, 01:25 PM
Darrshan

Bored out of his mind by the slow progression of the weekend day, particularly compared to the party last night, Darrshan decides to devote the day to looking for trouble. Anticipating a weekend adventure, he dresses himself in his full adventuring outfit with flair, following flipping his hat onto his head and pulling down the brim by spinning his tangat and shield in opposite directions before sheathing the former and sliding the latter up his arm onto his back.

Now wearing his armor and carrying most of his gear, he sets off to find a friend. Traversing the campus in half the time a human would, he makes his way to his friend Winslow's place, hoping the halfling is home and not too busy.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-11-09, 02:36 PM
Meanwhile, on another tower near Morgrave...

"No, that's perfectly fine, good sir. The address is suite 24, House Ghallanda Enclave, Dragon Towers, Middle Central. Thank you, thank you."
Winslow smiles, relieved that the last of his larger belongings are finally on their way to his new residence. He would miss the old apartment, so close to the university and the delights of Menthis plateau. He takes a deep breath, pleased that the afternoon has managed to refrain from raining. Winters in southern Breland...
The halfling looks up to see the fully-clad form of Darrshan the cat-person swiftly approaching. Winslow removes his handkerchief and dabs at his brow, acknowledging the approach of the cat-man with a smile and a wave of his hand.
Sweet Sovereigns above, what's Darrshan up to now? He looks ready for a trip to the dark side of the Blackcaps.

Scow2
2009-11-09, 06:55 PM
Darrshan's approach was faster than a Clawfoot charging across the Talenta plains, too fast to bring himself to a standard halt. Instead, thirty feet away, he intentionally dropped his shoulder to the ground, sliding on his shield down the causeway in a slowed somersault, terminating his forward momentum as he planted his clawed foot into the ground, his forward momentum redirected upward and launching him upright. The final traces of his forward momentum were dissipated by a dramatic forward bow, his arms outstretched to maintain his balance. He then righted himself, a mere five feet from the halfling.

"Hello, Winslow! Just the halfling I needed to see!" Darrshan said after concluding his mechanical bow, waiting for the halfling to recover from any shock experienced by Darrshan's sudden, unannounced visit.

Wiz
2009-11-09, 10:37 PM
Dax approaches Professor Smyth, "Hello, professor, I was looking for you. I was hoping to ask a favor. I have a friend who needs to speak with Flamewind and I hoped with your amazing connections you might be able to help us gain an audience with her. You're well aware of my limited finances right now, but I have finished my training, and I thought that I could repay your kindness by assisting you in some fashion, or perhaps just owe you a favor in return?"

OOC: The roll was a 5, so I doubt it. ;)

appending_doom
2009-11-10, 07:22 AM
Professor Smyth grimaces. "Sorry, kid, but we don't exactly have authority over Flamewind. She calls people she wants to see, and the rest of the time, gets the student workers at the library keeping her supplied with all the books she wants." He frowns, thoughtfully, for a moment. "Anyway, I doubt you want to waste your time on something like that. Flamewind barely makes any sense even when she does talk to people, and I know you're more adventurous than that. Have you thought about trying to get in on Rothcollor's expedition? I could try putting in a good word for you."

Meanwhile, thousands of miles away (really the library)

When Dax leaves, Russo shifts uncomfortably under the gaze of the other two. "Here's my address," he says, scribbling a note on a scrap of paper he tears off the corner of a book. "You can also leave a message for me at the Sivis Tower on campus; it's under my family name -- Karsus d'Cannith. If you do find something, I'd really be grateful. More than trinkets can really express."

Wiz
2009-11-10, 08:42 AM
Dax nods and smiles, "I would appreciate that. Actually, some friends of mine and I were planning to see Professor Rothcollor tomorrow. I understand how difficult the other matter is... I was just hoping to get my friend in to see Flamewind, because he's sort of exhausted all of his other options." She looks thoughtful, "Do you think there is way I could arrange for my friend to get in as a library assistant... even for a short term, perhaps filling in for someone?"

kemmotar
2009-11-10, 12:52 PM
Thank you, this will be useful. Is there anything else you can tell us about Flamewind or perhaps the question you want to ask...it might be easier if I ask her the question and bring you the answer rather than sneak you in to ask yourself...

Lorsk took the paper, glanced at it and pushed it into a pocket.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-11-10, 02:57 PM
Winslow stares for a moment at the catfolk. Perhaps his life would only get stranger now that he was about to graduate.
"No hangover from the party, I see. You're up and about like a kitten on Dragon's Blood. So... How may I be of service, Darrshan? Need something soiled, cleaned, or flavored?"
He points to his left arm with a grin, where his dragonmark lies hidden under his sleeve.

appending_doom
2009-11-10, 03:50 PM
"It will be hard enough for me to convince Flamewind to answer a question; I'm sure if I send an intermediary to ask it for me, she won't say a word," Russo replies. "She's a prophet. She lives above the president's office. I don't exactly have a great deal of insight into her habits." He's beginning to sound tense, likely the results of too many days thinking this -- or his deeper concerns about his future -- over.

Meanwhile, thousands of miles away (...fine. Smyth's office

"I'm not the one who's in charge of staffing the library," Smyth replies easily. "You might want to think of this as an exercise, rather than asking your elders to do everything for you, though. One day, you'll have to do this sort of thing on your own. Still...I suppose I can offer a few words of advice."

He leans back in his chair, stroking his chin thoughtfully. "First, you want to find the person most likely to give you what you want, and that's not necessarily the person in charge. It's someone who doesn't mind parting with what you want, or can be easily swayed from it with the right sort of coin, which isn't always gold. A woman who's worked here for as long as I can remember loves the job, the power, or the duties, and it'd take a lot to get her to risk that.

"Still, she doesn't do everything herself, and there's no doubt her subordinates are underpaid, underappreciated, and get little to no time to relax." Smyth winks.

kemmotar
2009-11-10, 04:17 PM
I'll see what I can do...but since she's a prophet she should at least be able to know the question.

Lorsk said half jokingly.

Unless our playwright has something to ask, I'd better get to work. Oh and just so I don't lead you on I'll be honest...my main motivation is the letter of marquee for now...I'm a pragmatic man. I'll try to resolve this sooner rather than later.

Scow2
2009-11-10, 08:47 PM
Darrshan shook his head at all the suggestions. "Nah, none of those. My problem is now that the classes are over, I'm bored out of my mind and looking for trouble... It's been almost two years since I've done any skull-cracking, and I'm afraid I'm losing my edge," Darrshan explained in a meandering manner, eventually working his way to the point. "You are the person most knowledgable about this city that I really know. Any chance you can point me in the direction of the more fun sections of town?"

CockroachTeaParty
2009-11-10, 10:56 PM
Winslow strokes the small blond goatee on his chin, his brow furrowed.
"You're deliberately looking for trouble? *ahem* Well, you'll find no shortage of that in the City of Towers. The Watch's been trying to shut down the Burning Ring for years now... It's a technically illegal floating gladiatorial combat ring. The location changes from night to night, but it's usually beneath our feet, somewhere in Lower Menthis, after the sun goes down. If you're really itching to 'crack some skulls,' as you put it, you could do worse than to ask around. The location's always a poorly kept secret. If you're having trouble, or are not confident in your inquisitive skills, I can try to find it for you. Though it would trouble my conscience so if something were to happen to you. A halfling would feel responsible."

Scow2
2009-11-11, 02:29 PM
Darrshan considers the proposition for a moment, then shakes his head. "Not that... I'm looking for trouble now, not after illegal registration... and a closed deathmatch setting is too risky anyway. I was hoping you might know of any districts the watch has trouble keeping violence down in... I need to be able to escape a situation quickly," he answers, hoping to convey his desires a bit better.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-11-11, 04:40 PM
Winslow fails to mask his look of complete bafflement.
He doesn't even want to make money?
He then clears his throat, and makes a sweeping gesture to the west, below his waist.
"It sounds like you needn't look any further than the towers of Lower Dura, Darrshan. The old city is all but forgotten to the well-to-do, and the Watch rarely patrols it. But it's not a playground, Darrshan. The gangs down there won't hesitate to dump your corpse into the Dagger. Perhaps I could persuade you to wait until nightfall? We could go Downstairs, here in Menthis, have a little drink... The watch doesn't bat an eye to fights down there. Brawls are a nightly event, nay, an expectation... an obligation, even."

Wiz
2009-11-11, 05:38 PM
Dax nods and ponders this as she takes her leave of Smyth, and heads back toward the library. Let me think, who is in charge of the library, would it be this lady Professor Smyth is talking about? Which assistants do I know well that I might approach?

Question 1: Knowledge (local - Sharn): [roll0], Question 2: Knowledge (local - Sharn): [roll1]

Scow2
2009-11-11, 06:17 PM
"Lower Dura... that's an obvious spot, that I'm afraid might be too far out of my league. I'll check it out anyway... If I'm healthy enough after that, I'll be at the tavern tonight..." Darrshan concludes, making his haphazard plans. "Well, since you've helped me, and I'm here right now, need any muscle help around here?" He then asks, trying to return the favor in the most equitable trade he could think of.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-11-11, 07:24 PM
Winslow looks after the porters carrying the last of his things.
"You've just missed the movers with the last of my things. I'm afraid my need for brawn has taken a pronounced dive. *sigh* Don't forget, Darrshan, that we have a meeting tomorrow with a prospective procurer of adventure. I can't afford to show up tomorrow with a black eye. Perhaps your fur could mask a shiner, but not all of us are quite so blessed."

Wiz
2009-11-11, 08:39 PM
Dax goes back to the library and sees if she can look up Neila Ressi.

appending_doom
2009-11-11, 08:51 PM
A stocky elf visibly approaching middle age is angrily re-stocking books in the Orcish history section. Drawing close, it is possible to hear her muttering (in Elvish) about how a real culture builds architecture as opposed to landmarks.

The dark-haired, gold-eyed woman approximately matches the vague descriptions Dax had received of Neila, but the woman looks harried and isn't paying attention to her surroundings -- if she weren't capable of subsisting on 4 hours of rest a night, she might look even more tired than she does.

Scow2
2009-11-11, 09:46 PM
Darrshan nods at the halfling's rejection of immediate aid. "Well, in that case, I owe you one... I'll see you tomorrow. Don't worry too much about me, I'll be safe enough." Darrshan said, as he turned to leave.

Immediately, he set off for Lower Dura, his quick, oscilating stride and alternations between frantic dashes and quick breaks both standing out from the crowds around him and allowing him to cover distance quickly. Knowing he was going into danger, he started actively paying attention to his surroundings, hoping to find the crime-infested hive of scum and villany.

appending_doom
2009-11-11, 10:12 PM
Darrshan sees little more than the blur of crowds and buildings as he aims downwards. It doesn't help that he can't read the street signs or storefronts, but it seems like he might be heading...down.

It's mid-day, so the crowds are much less unfriendly than he'd expect, but the crowds are probably also cover for pickpockets and thieves. Darrshan doesn't spot any thieves, or perhaps he doesn't have anything worth taking, as his pockets are still full when he passes by a bar in a lower mercantile district and a stooped halfling stumbles out the door in front of him.

Knowledge (local) to identify the exact district by landmarks.
Because you've been keeping watch, your choice of a Reflex save to avoid the halfling, or a Dexterity check to try to catch him.

Scow2
2009-11-11, 10:25 PM
Intelligence Check to identify district: [roll0]
Reflex save to dodge midget: [roll1]

These things hate me.

As he traveled through the city, Darrshan was too busy failing to identify his location to notice the door of the bar in front of him opening. Unfortunately, a halfling stumbled out in front of him just as he started another one of his dashes, leading him to attempt to dodge out of the way of the midget to avoid a collision. "Excuse me, Sorry," he exclaims, hoping the halfling would likewise try to get out of the way.

appending_doom
2009-11-11, 10:52 PM
The man, hair speckled with gray but eyes a sharp shade of green, catches himself with a dark walking stick topped with a glittering dragonshard, avoiding both running into Darrshan and falling onto the street.

He pauses and looks, slowly, towards Darrshan. His eyes, though sharp, have a glazed characteristic. He smiles unevenly before his gaze skitters briefly to the side and his eyes narrow. He grins, too brightly, and steps towards Darrshan.

"I've been looking all over for you!" he declares, voice only moderately slurred.

Scow2
2009-11-11, 11:09 PM
Darrshan halts, gazing at the halfling with a confused expression. "Excuse me?" Darrshan asks, before going alert in case the halfling was setting him up for a trap. He hated dealing with drunks. "What do you mean you've been looking for me?"

Taking ten if possible
Listen: 13
Spot: 11

do not open unless 10's are not possible

Listen:[roll0]
Spot:[roll1]

appending_doom
2009-11-11, 11:17 PM
You don't see anything out of the ordinary among the crowds, although you do realize that the halfling's gaze isn't staying on you, but rather on the crowds.

The halfling carefully taps the quarterstaff against his own leg; there's an almost unnoticeable flare of heat, and when the halfling straightens, he's a little more steady on his feet. When he next speaks, his voice has dropped to perhaps a third of its original volume.

"You're down here looking for trouble, aren't you? I can assure you we'll find it if you play along. And hey, I might just make it home alive."

Scow2
2009-11-11, 11:30 PM
Ack, I forgot to add my racial +2 to listen checks during my rolls! Not that I think it really matters.

Anyway

Sense Motive Check:[roll0]

And maintaining listen checks [roll1]

With the halfling's uncanny assessment of Darrshan's motivations, the cheetah-man grows suspicious. "What's it to you? What do you mean if I play along," he asked, dropping his voice as well. While stopping to listen to the halfling, he keeps alert, though he focuses less on actively scanning his surroundings visually, instead relying on his ears to sort out threats.

appending_doom
2009-11-11, 11:44 PM
You don't get a feel that the halfling wants to hurt you, but you're out to sea when it comes to figuring out exactly what his angle is.

There's an aborted motion, as if the halfling intends to roll his eyes, but he just blinks, slowly. "I mean pretend I'm not a stranger accosting you in the street and the do the polite thing of seeing me home to Broken Arch." He steps closer, slowly, and reaches out an arm as if to interlink his left with Darrshan's right. His left leg doesn't bear his weight well, partially explaining the decorated staff. "I'm sure they're just threatening enough to drag in a crippled doctor, but not nearly enough to take on a kid dumb enough to come down here looking for a fight."

Wiz
2009-11-12, 01:30 AM
Dax approaches the woman, "Neila Ressi? I'm Dax, I was hoping I could have a word with you... something of mutual benefit." She smiles.

appending_doom
2009-11-12, 07:52 AM
"You're talking as if I have time," the woman retorts as she shoves a book half her size onto a shelf with some effort. "I have to shelve these books and then start on my own research on the other side of the library, and of course, there's still my weekly status report to my advisor. The earliest I have a free moment is Zol, because I get to spend Mol wasting my time running errands for an overgrown cat."

At no point in this rant does her voice rise above a whisper, and when she's finished, she smiles mockingly at Dax and pushes the heavy cart of books she's been working from past the other woman.

Wiz
2009-11-12, 10:33 AM
Dax moves along following her, keeping her own voice low, "Yes, that is terrible, and I know among the many important duties you perform, there are some days when your intellect is wasted doing menial chores that anyone could do. It would be so nice if you could have someone fill in for you on one of those days... after all, coming up on a professorship there must be endless preparations that a day off would help with immensely."

appending_doom
2009-11-12, 10:58 AM
The elf's eyes narrow at Dax's platitudes, but she stops the cart's movements and leans on it, looking at Dax with intense scrutiny. It's hard to tell exactly what she's feeling, but Neila (she hasn't denied the claim, certainly) is almost smiling.

"You want to take over my job for a couple of days. Why? Looking for a book students don't get to see? I know it's not concern for my poor, over-worked self." It's not a no, exactly, but Neila is fishing for more information before she even approaches "yes".