PDA

View Full Version : Awful Green Things from Outer Space - GAME ON!

happyturtle
2009-10-20, 02:14 PM
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/werewolf/awful-green-things/greenthing.jpg

This is an experiment in trying to adapt a 2 player board game to a ??? player forum game. This is not a werewolf game, since there is no lynching and everyone will know who the bad guys are from the start.

If you've ever played this game, you know how fun it is.

If you haven't, check out here (http://www.sjgames.com/awfulgreen/) and here (http://www.sholing.force9.co.uk/awfulg.htm).

The game starts with 22 crew and 12 'things'. 34 players is a bit much for an experiment, so I'm thinking each player would first be assigned to a side, and then control either multiple crew members or multiple 'things'. As the 'things' grow and reproduce, their player would control their offspring as well. I think I could manage updating the map each turn, probably by scribbling notes on a printout of it and scanning it in, rather than doing anything pretty in inkscape. We'd probably want to either have the GM roll all the dice, or set up a dice rolling thread in the appropriate subforum.

Thoughts? Critiques? Does anyone see a better way to adapt it? Any interest in playing?

Players:
Shadowcaller
smuchmuch
MasterofMockery
The Bookworm
gothicbob
Geesi
Murska
Wolfbane
Reinholdt
Mordokai

Shadowcaller
2009-10-20, 05:34 PM
I will... sign up.

smuchmuch
2009-10-20, 06:04 PM
I'm intrigued. In

MasterofMockery
2009-10-20, 06:32 PM
Totally in, This sounds awesome

The Bookworm
2009-10-20, 09:20 PM
Ooh! ooh! Pick me! (In!)

Reinholdt
2009-10-20, 09:25 PM
I am watching to see how this evolves.

happyturtle
2009-10-21, 12:03 AM
The Znutar:

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/werewolf/awful-green-things/znutar.png

And I dearly want to hear from game designer types on ideas for how to make this work in a forum structure.

Robert Blackletter
2009-10-21, 02:10 PM
Would love to play. Ilve not played the game before so can't be of little help in game design but will happyily play test

Guancyto
2009-10-21, 02:24 PM
I have no idea how that would be adapted to a board format.

But my money's on it being fantastic. In.

Edit: And I love the weapon rules. There's just as much chance of a pool cue being the ultimate bane of aliens as there is of explosives.

happyturtle
2009-10-24, 10:07 AM
Okay, since no one has any better ideas, the first game will be run straight from the rules. I'll leave recruitment open till Monday, and then assign roles.

Murska
2009-10-24, 10:41 AM
Fine. I've been convinced to playtest.

Reinholdt
2009-10-24, 07:59 PM
I'll confirm my in.

Edit: What, if any, optional rules are being used?

UncleWolf
2009-10-25, 09:44 PM
I'll play. :smallsmile:

happyturtle
2009-10-26, 04:28 PM
Okay. Role assignment and start of game in the morning.

happyturtle
2009-10-27, 07:31 AM
Roles have been assigned by Random.org:

The Crew:
{table=head]Player|Crewmember Band 1|Band 2|Band 3
The Bookworm|Captain Yid|Yeoman|Comm Officer
Reinholdt|Sarge|Pilot 1|Eng Officer
Murska|Robot|Sparks|Doc
Wolfbane|Coxswain|Engineer|Ops Officer
Mordokai|Marine 1|Cook|Medic
Shadowcaller|Marine 2|Pilot 2|Supply Officer
Geesi|1st Officer|Machinist|Tech[/table]

Murska gets the Mascot.

Each player needs to state where their crewmembers start out.

CREW STARTING LOCATIONS
{table=head]Crew|Attack Dice|Constitution|Movement|Starting location
Captain Yid|3|27|3|Either Bridge
1st Officer|2|19|3|Either Bridge
Comm Officer|1|11|4|Either Bridge, Computer Room
Operations Officer|1|12|3|Life Support Center, Officers’ Quarters
Engineering Officer|1|12|2|Engine Room, Pool Room
Supply Officer|1|11|2|Ship’s Store, Wardroom
Doc|1|11|4|Sick Bay, Pool Room
Medic |1|11|4| Sick Bay, Hospital Ward
Sparks|1|16|3| Either Bridge
Marine Sergeant|3|21|3| Pool Room, Mess Deck
Marine 1|2|19|3|Pool Room, Sick Bay
Marine 2|2|18|3|Pool Room, Sick Bay
Cook|1|21|3|Galley, Wardroom
Yeoman|1|15|3|Either Bridge
Technician|1|11|4|Any Sensor
Engineer|2|13|2|Engine Room, Either Machine Shop
Machinist |2|14|2|Either Machine Shop
Coxswain |2|18|3|Mess Deck, Sick Bay
Pilot 1|1|15|3|Crew's Quarters, Pool Room
Pilot 2|1|12|3|Crew’s Quarters, Pool Room
Robot|4|44|1|Either Machine Shop
Mascot |1|8|4|Captain’s Cabin[/table]

Awful Green Things:
{table]MasterofMockery|2 adults| 2 babies|
gothicbob|1 adult|2 babies|1 egg
smuchmuch|1 adult|2 babies
[/table]

{table=head]|Attack dice|Constitution|Movement
Adult|4|16|2
Baby|2|12|1
Fragment|1|8|0
Egg|0|5|0[/table]

The Green Things start by placing their units, with the first one in the Main Cargo hold.

Initial Monster Placement
The Monster Player now rolls one die to determine where to
place the first monster, and puts it on the board. The rest of the
initial monsters are then placed, one per area. Each one must go in
an area adjacent (connected by a passageway or hatch) to one
already occupied by a monster. No monster may start in an area
with a crewman.

Die rolling thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129669), which is what I used for numbers and placements of the green things.

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/werewolf/awful-green-things/znutar.png

Murska
2009-10-27, 08:22 AM
Robot starts in Machine Shop, Sparks starts on 1st Bridge, Doc starts in Sick Bay and Mascot obviously in Captain's Cabin.

The Bookworm
2009-10-27, 11:16 AM
All my characters (Captain Yid, Comm Officer, Yeoman) start at 2nd Bridge!

Mordokai
2009-10-27, 11:22 AM
Marine 1 and Medic start in Sick Bay, Cook starts in Galley.

happyturtle
2009-10-27, 01:03 PM
Reinholdt reminded me that I forgot to include stats for the Green Things. They are now up.

Reinholdt
2009-10-27, 01:28 PM
Mordokai! Shadowcaller! This is your sarge speaking! Wake up and get your butts into gear before I make you do 34 zwortlings! We have an in-fes-TA-tion! This is not a drill! I repeat, this is not a drill!

Sarge will start in the Mess Deck.
Pilot 1 will start in the Pool Room.
Engineering Officer will start in the Engine Room.

Guancyto
2009-10-27, 03:04 PM
Let's rock it!!11one

Machinist starts in the (#1) Machine Shop.
Technician starts in #1 Sensor.
1st officer will start in the #1 Bridge.

MasterofMockery
2009-10-27, 06:42 PM
let's see 1 baby starts in the cargo hold, 1 adult in hallway B and one in hallway B, and One baby in hallway A.

happyturtle
2009-10-28, 01:40 PM
Still waiting on:

Shadowcaller
smuchmuch
The Bookworm
gothicbob
Wolfbane

Shadowcaller
2009-10-28, 02:21 PM
Marine 2 at sick bay.
Pilot 2 at crews quarters 2.
Supply officer at ships store.

smuchmuch
2009-10-28, 04:21 PM
Sorry about the lateness. it's my first time playing this game so excuse me if i don't get everythinh right.

Initial placement:
1 baby in main cargo hold.
1 baby in halway D
1 adult in halway B

The Bookworm
2009-10-28, 04:24 PM
All my characters (Captain Yid, Comm Officer, Yeoman) start at 2nd Bridge!
I placed my units yesterday.

happyturtle
2009-10-28, 04:41 PM
So you did. I must have screwed up the list.

Shadowcaller
MasterofMockery
The Bookworm
gothicbob
Geesi
Murska
Wolfbane
Reinholdt
Mordokai
smuchmuch

smuchmuch, the starting position of the Green Things can only be one per area, so I've placed your babies in corridors C, D, and E. Is this okay?

Also, if gothicbob doesn't reply by noon GMT tomorrow, then smuchmuch and MasterofMockery can place and play his units so we can get started.

EDIT: Reinholdt asked if we would be using any optional rules. For the first run through, I'm going to go with straight vanilla. If it works out enough to play again, we can add stuff on.

UncleWolf
2009-10-28, 05:14 PM
Oh, sorry, meant to do so earlier. :smallredface:

Coxwain: Sickbay
Engineer: Engine Room
Ops Officer: Life Support Center

Mordokai
2009-10-28, 05:16 PM
Sickbay seems to be rather crowded this time of year...

*plays cards with fellow marine*

Got any aces?

smuchmuch
2009-10-28, 05:20 PM
smuchmuch, the starting position of the Green Things can only be one per area, so I've placed your babies in corridors C, D, and E. Is this okay?

I only have two babies and one adult so i guess you mean:
Adult in c
babies in d and E ?

If yes , that's okay.

happyturtle
2009-10-28, 05:23 PM
Got it.

I'll make up a map with everyone's locations before start of first turn. And yes, Sick bay is quite crowded. Did everyone get hung over last night or something?

Mordokai
2009-10-28, 05:31 PM
*hides the bottle of whisky*

I have *hic* no idea what you're talking about, captain!

Reinholdt
2009-10-28, 08:36 PM
*hides the bottle of whisky*

I have *hic* no idea what you're talking about, captain!
PRIVAAAATE!!
How dare you not share?

happyturtle
2009-10-29, 03:21 PM
Still no word from gothicbob, so if smuchmuch or MasterofMockery can place the last of the green things, we can get started. Remember the rules... one Thing per area, and each one has to be in an area adjacent to another Thing.

Updated map, not very legible:

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/werewolf/awful-green-things/awfulmap02.png

Guancyto
2009-10-29, 03:40 PM
Ooh, map.

Hmm, wasn't the Robot in the regular Machine Shop?

That was most of the reason for my squishy, squishy Machinist going there.

MasterofMockery
2009-10-29, 03:41 PM
Let's see, Smuchmuch if it's alright I would l would like to place the adult hallway H and the babies in hallway F and G.
I also want to put my second baby in hallway B and move my first adult to the cockboat bay, and where is my 2nd adult, please put him in the officers quarters.

The green things are coming.....
for your booze

happyturtle
2009-10-29, 03:51 PM
There were 4 adults, 6 babies, and one egg to be placed for the Things. I think I messed them up somewhere.

And Murska, if you'd clarify which Machine Shop you wanted Robot to start in, I'll stick him and Machinist together.

Any other amendments now that everyone can see where everyone is?

Murska
2009-10-29, 03:53 PM
With the machine shop choices being 'Machine Shop' and 'Aft Machine Shop', I'd prefer my robot to go to the 'Machine Shop' as opposed to it's current location in the 'Aft Machine Shop'.

happyturtle
2009-10-29, 04:00 PM
Updated map:
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/werewolf/awful-green-things/awfulmap03.png

One more Awful Egg to place.

Then comes....

Discovering the Awful Green Things
After all monsters are placed, the Crew Player must move one or two crew up to their printed movement allowance, to enter an area or areas containing an Awful Green Thing. Once in an area with a monster, they may attack using hand-to-hand combat (see Attacks, p. 6). Weapons may not be grabbed before this move. No matter who wins this first battle, the alarm is raised and the game is on, starting with the monsters’ first turn.

Since there are multiple Crew Players, I'll just ask for a volunteer to be the first to discover the infestation.

MasterofMockery
2009-10-29, 04:14 PM
egg in the galley let's do this thing

Reinholdt
2009-10-29, 04:16 PM
The Robot should volunteer.
Sarge can give it a shot as well for the second crew member.

Murska
2009-10-29, 04:23 PM
Sure, Robot will go.

Reinholdt
2009-10-29, 04:28 PM
Ok. Sarge will move through the Ship's Store and into the Main Cargo Hold, and attack the Baby there.

Rolling to be edited in...
Ouch. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7215865&postcount=10) Not even close.

happyturtle
2009-10-29, 04:29 PM
Turn Zero

Okay, Robot and Sarge, make your moves and roll your damage dice. Link to the die rolling thread is in my sig.

If your attack roll exceeds the constitution of the Green Thing, the Thing dies. Otherwise, there is no effect.

After that, it will be Monster Turn One.

1. Grow (pick one level of monster to grow to the next level. If Adults are picked, they lay eggs)
2. Move
3. Attack

Murska
2009-10-29, 04:31 PM
Robot moves into Corridor B with WRATH and FURY and scores a 19 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7215871&postcount=11).

happyturtle
2009-10-29, 04:39 PM
And with WRATH and FURY, Robot's mechanical arms tear the tiny alien life form to shreds! For shame! Sarge tries to do the same, but the wee little thing squeals piteously and squirms loose before he can do any damage.

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/werewolf/awful-green-things/awfulmap04.png

I'm off to bed now, but Monsters may proceed through all three steps of Turn One if they feel comfortable with the rules.

Robert Blackletter
2009-10-29, 08:03 PM
Sorry guys rl got in the way (stupid job) well i sit this one out and watch with interest.

happyturtle
2009-10-30, 07:06 AM
Are you dropping out then, gothicbob?

Just to add a little structure, we'll say Monster Turn One ends in 48 hours, or whenever the monsters finish, whichever comes first.

MasterofMockery
2009-10-30, 05:17 PM
let's see I grow my babies.
Then I move my adult from the main cargo hold to 1st bridge and attack the first officer with help from my 1st adult in the officers quarters. with my adult in the cockboat bay I attack the doc.

Then If gothic bob isn't playing I'll grow his babies into adults, then have the one adult from hallway H attack the medic, and have the two from G and F attack the marine. Dice rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7222406#post7222406)

smuchmuch
2009-10-30, 05:53 PM
1)Grow
I grow my babies into adults.

2)Move
I move the abult from hallway C to ,the medical bay (passing by halway G)
I move the adults from hallway D and E to the main cargo hold.

3)
With the two adults in main cargo hold I attack the sarge
result: 32 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7222543&postcount=14)
With the adult in sick bay I finish the medic
result: 11 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7222531&postcount=13) (to be added to the 9 of the two babies already attacking him)

happyturtle
2009-10-31, 06:31 PM
*pokes gothicbob*

edit: Or since he seems to be having computer problems, we'll let the other monster players act for him until he's back or officially drops out.

happyturtle
2009-11-02, 09:12 AM
Will update later today. If no one acts for gothicbob's monsters, then all they will do is grow in place.

smuchmuch
2009-11-02, 12:11 PM
If you reread Masterofmockery's post, you'll see he used Gothicbob'screatures. My own actions are based on that fact too.

happyturtle
2009-11-02, 01:07 PM
What? Actually /read/ the post before I do the update?! Why would I do that?

*feels foolish*

*goes to update map now*

happyturtle
2009-11-02, 03:07 PM
Monster Turn Ends

Before the horrified eyes of the crew, the babies swell and grow into Awful Adult Green Things. Enraged at the senseless death of their sibling at the mechanical hands of Robot, they swarm into the Sick Bay and take their revenge... Marine 1, Doc, and Medic are all slaughtered and eaten.

On the bridge, the 1st Officer is busy fumbling for the pistol when he trips over a rotten sandwich someone dropped on the floor. The sandwich and the 1st Officer are both eaten.

In the Main Cargo Hold, the Marine Sergeant roars and charges the Green Thing. The Green Thing opens wide, quite pleased that the food is coming to him so quickly.

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/werewolf/awful-green-things/awfulmap05.png

Crew Turn:

a) Any crew member in area with a weapon available may grab it (except the mascot). Fastest grab first, with a die roll to decide if necessary.

b) Crew may move up to their movement allowance. However, they must stop on entering an area containing an activated electric fence or an unstunned Baby or Adult.

c) Crew may attack a monster either hand to hand or with a weapon. Used Cans of Zgwortz, Bottles of Acid and Rocket Fuel are returned to their starting positions. The crew will have to use them to find out - after all this is a new and alien life form you're dealing with. If more than one weapon is used for the first time in the same area a random effect will occur and you'll be none the wiser.

Please use the following format:

1. <Crew Name> grabs <Weapon>
2. <Crew Name> moves from <Area 1> to <Area 2>
3. <Crew Name> attacks <Monster Name> result <die roll result> <attack succeeds/attack fails>

Or if using a weapon for the first time:

3. <Crew Name> attacks <Monster Name> with <weapon>

I've pre-rolled weapon effects on random.org, so will notify you of the effect the first time each weapon is tried.

Crew Turn begins now and ends in approx 48 hours.

Reinholdt
2009-11-03, 11:22 AM
1. Pilot 1 grabs Pool Stick
2. Pilot 1 moves from Pool Room to Hallway I

2. Engineering Officer moves from Engine Room to #2 Fuel Pod

Murska
2009-11-03, 12:21 PM
Sparks grabs Stun Pistol.
Sparks moves from 1st Bridge to Machine Shop.
Sparks takes careful aim, yells for Robot to dodge against the wall and shoots MM Adult 2 in Bridge 1.

Robot moves from Corridor B to Officer's Quarters. Then he hears the aforementioned yell and dodges against the wall as the Stun Pistol shot whizzes past.

Mascot moves from Captain's Quarters to Computer, cowering under the table and whimpering quietly.

happyturtle
2009-11-03, 12:27 PM
LINE OF SIGHT
The hatches of the Znutar are automatic, and open and close easily. Thus it is possible for a crewman to stand at a hatch, open it momentarily, and fire or throw a weapon through it into the next area. A crewman’s line of sight extends through any hatch he is adjacent to, until it is blocked by a wall or another hatch. Line of sight extends down straight corridors, but not around corners. Line of sight is never blocked by intervening creatures. A crewman
with a stun pistol could open a hatch at one end of a passageway, fire through a group of monsters and crew, and hit a target at the far end of the passageway.

Murska asked if he could use different crewmen to open doors. I decided that he could. If you use a line of sight weapon, there will need to be one crewman adjacent to each door in between after they've taken their movement.

Stun Pistol does 3 dice to kill. Roll your damage, Murska.

UncleWolf
2009-11-03, 12:30 PM
Ops Officer will enter Machine Shop

Engineer will enter Aft Machine Shop

Coxwain will grab the Syringe
Coxwain will move from Sick Bay to Galley
Coxwain attacks Gothicbob's Egg with the Syringe

Murska
2009-11-03, 12:33 PM
Damage was, sadly, only 11 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7244877&postcount=15).

happyturtle
2009-11-03, 12:38 PM
Hypodermic has No Effect on the egg.

UncleWolf
2009-11-03, 12:53 PM
Hypodermic has No Effect on the egg.

Aww... no effect. :smallfrown:

Guancyto
2009-11-03, 02:03 PM
Technician will grab a Communications Beamer.
Technician will move to Corridor B

Machinist will grab a Fire Extinguisher.
Machinist will move to Officer's Quarters and duck under the firing.

Mordokai
2009-11-03, 02:39 PM
Cook will grab knife and attack GB egg. Rolls 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7245636&postcount=16). Attacks fails.
Marine 1 move to Damage Control.
Medic move to Machine Shop.

happyturtle
2009-11-03, 02:43 PM
Knife causes 1 die of fragments to result. Bet you're glad you rolled that one now.

GB egg 1 is now GB fragment 1

Murska
2009-11-03, 03:29 PM
Hey machinist, you're not supposed to undo my Robot blockade by preventing a much squishier target to them enemies. >>

Also, Geesi: Comms Beamer is a Line of Sight weapon so you can shoot it into the room. However, I think it might be counted as a "If more than one weapon is used for the first time in the same area a random effect will occur and you'll be none the wiser."

Guancyto
2009-11-03, 03:57 PM
As I read it, Green Things engaging with a stack involving the Robot are forced to attack him. I'll just hide out here. >_>

And yeah, I'm not sure how that would play out. I can hit all green things in a particular room, but all the ones Technician can reach have had one hit from another weapon. I don't really want to negate the only killing weapon we've got so far, and firing an untested aoe weapon into Sick Bay sounds like a recipe for trouble.

Then again, it could change the effect of the hypodermic and we might get lucky. If you think we should go for it, we can roll dem bones.

happyturtle
2009-11-03, 04:07 PM
:smalleek: Oops... I forgot something from the Monster's Turn:

MONSTER GROWTH AFTER ATTACKS
Each time a crewman is killed (except for the Robot), one of the monsters devours the body and immediately grows one level. If an Adult eats the body, it lays an Egg. If more than one monster attacked, the Monster Player may choose which monster is to grow.

Anyone want to go back and work out which monsters should have grown?

Also, Geesi is correct:

“LEADFOOT” THE ROBOT
Because of the way the Robot makes salad out of the Green Things, they all view Leadfoot as their most serious threat. Any monsters in the same area as the Robot must attack only the Robot. If their attack should succeed and Leadfoot is killed, the Monster Player must pick one Green Thing to try to eat the Robot. AWeapon Effect Chit is drawn and its results are applied immediately. This chit is then returned to the cup so that it may be used again.

Murska
2009-11-03, 04:28 PM
Oh, never noticed that. Well, that might be useful indeed.

The Syringe was not used in the Sick Bay, thus that's no problem. The problem, however, might be that if it makes everyone in Sick Bay grow... *shudder*

Guancyto
2009-11-03, 04:37 PM
Oh, right you are. Well then.

Let's give it a shot. They're already adults, I just hope they don't fragment.

No guts, no glory!

Technician moves to Corridor G
Technician will Fire the Communications Beamer into Sick Bay.

smuchmuch
2009-11-03, 04:39 PM
QUOte]Anyone want to go back and work out which monsters should have grown?[/QUOTE]
*Slap fingers lightly*
Bad bad bad DM, you stop forgetting things right now.

Anyway, it's not a problem since currently there are only adults green thing on the ship.
Still for recap sake:

Bridge:
The first officier was promoted to first course
+1 egg for MM

Main Cargo Hold:
Ironicaly, Sarge tasted like parsley
+1 egg for me

Sick Bay:
The doc gets an unique opportunity to study one of the creature digestive system
+1 egg for MM

Everyone enjoy a good Marinade once in a time, AGTFOS are no exceptions
+1 egg for Gothicbob

The medic get eaten by two adults. (I couldn't find any food related pun for that). One was mine , the other GhoticBob's adults.
+1 egg for gothicbob or me.
(If MM is okay with it, I'd like to be the one to get the egg.)

Robert Blackletter
2009-11-03, 05:09 PM
I'm back!
yea!
sorry for the blip!
Oh and I'm happy for smuchmuch to have the egg

happyturtle
2009-11-03, 05:13 PM
1. Comm beamer does 5 dice to stun

Roll separately for each Green Thing in the Sick Bay. If the 5 dice exceeds their constitution, they are stunned.

Smuch egg 2
GB egg 2
smuch adult 1
MM egg 2
GB adult 1
GB adult 2
GB adult 3

2. Mordokai: Marine 1 and Medic were killed on the monsters turn, so they go nowhere. Also, it seems I forgot to put Cook on the map before. He's there now.

3. Starting next round, everyone will declare actions only, without rolling the dice or finding out new effects. After everyone has declared, then I will do the End Turn update with all the dice roll and effects.

4. There were two different untried weapons used on the egg in the galley. I will roll for a new effect at the end of the turn.

5. New map, updated mid-turn. Please let me know if you see any errors!

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/werewolf/awful-green-things/awfulmap06.png

Guancyto
2009-11-03, 05:35 PM
Rolls found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7247123&postcount=17). Beamer stuns all of them except GB Adult 3.

happyturtle
2009-11-03, 05:59 PM
Turn ends at 8pm GMT on Wednesday, or when Shadowcaller and The Bookworm posts their actions, whichever comes first.

Reinholdt
2009-11-03, 09:26 PM
Turn ends at 8pm GMT on Wednesday, or when Shadowcaller and The Bookworm posts their actions, whichever comes first.
The Green things get to control their buddies when their players take vacations.
How about the poor hapless, doomed crew get to do the same in such a situation?

MasterofMockery
2009-11-03, 09:39 PM
The Green things get to control their buddies when their players take vacations.
How about the poor hapless, doomed crew get to do the same in such a situation?

I think the crew should be able to share actions

happyturtle
2009-11-04, 03:27 AM
Okay, but stuff it in a spoiler and don't roll any dice, so that the original player can override it before turn end if they choose.

Murska
2009-11-04, 09:17 AM
Unless someone objects:

The Bookworm Comm Officer runs like the wind from 2nd Bridge to 1st Fuel Pod.

Yeoman runs somewhat slower from 2nd Bridge to Corridor K.

Captain Yid stops to pick up the Stun Pistol first, then moves from 2nd Bridge to Corridor H.

Reinholdt
2009-11-04, 10:01 AM
Likewise...

Shadowcaller
Marine 2 move from Sick Bay and those useless needles to Damage Control

Supply Officer move from Ship's Store to Mess Deck

Pilot 2 move from Crew's Quarter's 2 to Mess Deck

Shadowcaller
2009-11-04, 10:03 AM
Likewise...

Shadowcaller
Marine 2 move from Sick Bay and those useless needles to Damage Control

Supply Officer move from Ship's Store to Mess Deck

Pilot 2 move from Crew's Quarter's 2 to Mess Deck

Uh... I'll let you do that for now. I'm sure it's better then the action I would have come up with.

Reinholdt
2009-11-04, 10:05 AM
*facepalms at the timing*
Well there's nothing stopping us from discussing strategy you know?

happyturtle
2009-11-04, 10:19 AM
Yes, we'll assume a continual open comm link between crew and telepathy between monsters. Whatever one of you knows, all of you know. Discuss away. :smallsmile:

Murska
2009-11-04, 10:47 AM
Why Mess Deck? The enemies from Main Cargo Hold can attack one of you individually and slaughter him. That's why I didn't move there.

Reinholdt
2009-11-04, 10:57 AM
The two crewmen in the Galley can just as easily be attacked from the Main Cargo Hold. And they'll have to choose one or the other. And then they can grab those cans and find out what they do next turn, in a fighting retreat.

Plus the Supply Officer is slow.

Feel free to suggest an alternative though.

Murska
2009-11-04, 11:18 AM
Hm. Well, either we go as things are now or we could try sending all three of Bookworm's crew plus the Supply Officer to attack one of the Adults in the MCH for 5 attack dice. Should be enough to get rid of one, lessening the chances of the other killing even one next turn and even if it does, it's screwed afterwards.

Actually, I could give Comm Officer the Stun Pistol so we'd have el grande total of 8 attack dice. We could even try killing both of the adults.

Reinholdt
2009-11-04, 11:27 AM
4 dice on each adult is pretty risky.

Also, we have to consider that the two adults in the bridge can then just waltz over and smack everyone down. It'd probably be easier and safer to kill the non-stunned adult in the Sick Bay, using the Yeoman with the pistol and Captain Yid. Marine 2 could stay and smack an egg to pieces.

Murska
2009-11-04, 11:30 AM
Hm. Yeah, except that since the Pistol was used for the first time this round, I'm not sure if I can use it on a room with another new effect this round.

Reinholdt
2009-11-04, 11:36 AM
Oh. Right. That'd cause all sorts of random effects of badness. Forgot about that.

Well it could be done without the pistol. Marine, the Captain and the Yeoman no weapons.

Murska
2009-11-04, 11:38 AM
The Bookworm Comm Officer runs like the wind from 2nd Bridge to 1st Fuel Pod.

Yeoman stops to pick up the stun pistol and then runs somewhat slower from 2nd Bridge to Sick Bay, attacking the unstunned Adult there in hand-to-hand combat..

Captain Yid moves from 2nd Bridge to Sick Bay and attacks the unstunned Adult there.

Reinholdt
2009-11-04, 11:43 AM
Shadowcaller
Marine 2 stays where he is in Sick Bay and attacks the unstunned adult there.

Supply Officer move from Ship's Store to Hallway G

Pilot 2 move from Crew's Quarter's 2 to Hallway I

happyturtle
2009-11-04, 12:13 PM
To answer a question from Murska:

Hey Happy, if I give three crew the orders to attack into the MCH, can I tell them to attack at one Adult in certain order until it's dead and then switch to the other or do I have to present clear targets?

No, all targets have to be named for each player before the attack is rolled.

After this turn, all targets will have to be named for every player before any attacks are rolled.

The Bookworm
2009-11-04, 05:44 PM
I stand by Murska's choices for my characters. I like them.

happyturtle
2009-11-04, 05:46 PM
Oh... right... I was going to update three hours ago...

*goes to do that now*

happyturtle
2009-11-04, 07:12 PM
End of Turn One!

Marine 2, Captain Yid, and the Yeoman curb stomp the unstunned adult in the Sick Bay (GB adult 3). Congratulations!

The combined effect of the knife and the hypo causes the fragment to grow into a baby. Eeek! ((Note, this is incorrect on the map, showing it as a baby. I am too lazy to re-scan it.))

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/werewolf/turn21.png

1. To save space, monsters are designated M#. See the legend in the upper right. A circled S next to the monster means it is stunned.
2. M7 in the mess hall is a baby, not an adult. It will be correct on the next scan.

Monster Turn Two begins now and ends in 48-ish hours.

1. Grow: All players must agree on which level of creature to grow. (One player cannot grow babies while the another grows eggs.)

2. Move: Unstunned monsters may leave areas inhabited by crew, but if they enter a crew area they must stop. <Monster name> leaves <area 1> and enters <area 2>.

3. Attack: Please post your attacks, but do not roll for results. <Monster name> attacks <crew name>. At the end of the turn, I will roll the dice.

4. Wake Up: Stunned monsters wake up at the end of the turn.

MasterofMockery
2009-11-04, 07:47 PM
Grow
I vote eggs should be grown, gothicbob, smuchmuch what do you think.

Move
Move M2 to main cargo hold
Move M3 to hallway D
Move M8 to machine shop

Attack
M8 attacks sparks

Wake up
M12

Ouch gothicbob, sorry bout getting all of your monsters stunned

happyturtle
2009-11-04, 07:50 PM
Note: Stunned monsters do not grow.

smuchmuch
2009-11-04, 09:02 PM
I saw in the rules that stunned monsters can't grow or move but can they attack ? (I suppose not but it's not precised)

happyturtle
2009-11-04, 09:05 PM
Stunned monsters cannot attack.

Robert Blackletter
2009-11-05, 11:40 AM
Well i think i only got one to move but if I misread please let me know.

I say grow the adult this turn (and do the eggs next turn.)
Move
none to move
Attack
M7 to attack coxswain
Wake up
m10
m13
m14

UncleWolf
2009-11-05, 06:41 PM
Coxwain! No! :smalleek:

smuchmuch
2009-11-05, 10:41 PM
1) Grow
I agree with Gothicbob, I thing using grow on adults to get more eggs would be better.

2)Move
Move M4 and M8 leave Cargo bay to Galley.

3)Attack
M4 and M5 attack cook.

Wake up M9, M11 and M12

happyturtle
2009-11-06, 04:18 PM
End of Monster Turn Two:

Dice rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7266178#post7266178)

Five adults monsters took time out from their vicious attacks to squat and lay eggs. Hurray!

Sparks ably defends himself against a monster attack. A baby monster noms at Coxswains boots to little effect. But two green things leap out of the Main Cargo Hold and devour the Cook. Another egg is laid.

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/werewolf/turn22.png

(sorry if it's too faint. I forgot to enhance the contrast)

Crew Turn Two begins now and ends in 48 hours, or once all actions are in, whichever is sooner.

1. Grab Weapons
2. Move
3. Attack

Do not roll for results of attacks.

Guancyto
2009-11-06, 04:27 PM
Right!

Any objections to continuing to stunlock the ones in Sick Bay, or to testing the Extinguisher?

Murska
2009-11-06, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure I should test the extinguisher, really. Keep stunlocking tho.

See, there are three eggs and one of the unknown effects thus far is 'grow'... On the other hand, I could try bashing at one with the Mascot and killing one with the Robot.

Then again, they have to attack the Robot and three Babies have 6 dice. Then again then again, they could grow the babies and attack with a huge load of dice which might be pretty bad for my poor robot.

Reinholdt
2009-11-07, 12:47 AM
Someone please pick my actions this round, thanks.

happyturtle
2009-11-08, 06:24 AM
Is the crew frozen in terror?

What will become of them?

:smalleek:

Murska
2009-11-08, 10:23 AM
Sparks moves from Machine Shop to Officer's Quarters and shoots at Monster 8 with 3 dice of death.

Mascot runs from Computer to Captain's Quarters.

Robot... just stands there.

Reinholdt:
Eng Officer grabs Rocket Fuel and moves from Fuel Pod 2 to Corridor L.

Pilot 1 moves from Corridor I to Sick Bay, waving his poolstick. But instead of using it, he uses hand-to-hand combat to attack M13.

Shadowcaller: Pilot 2 moves from Corridor I to Science Lab.

Marine 2 bashes M11 in hand-to-hand combat.

Supply Officer runs from Corridor G into Sick Bay and bashes M13 in hand-to-hand combat.

The Bookworm:
Captain Yid bashes M13 in hand-to-hand combat.

Yeoman shoots M11 with 3 dice to kill.

That about right? Feel free to change them around.

Guancyto
2009-11-08, 11:23 AM
Arright.

Machinist uses Fire Extinguisher on the #1 Bridge.

Technician moves to Sick Bay and uses the Comm Beamer on Sick Bay.

UncleWolf
2009-11-08, 12:15 PM
Coxwain will grab a CANISTER OF ZGWORTZ before moving from Galley to Damage Control

Engineer will stay put for now.

Ops Officer will grab the Welding Torch and attack M8 with it.

Reinholdt
2009-11-09, 12:55 AM
Sparks moves from Machine Shop to Officer's Quarters and shoots at Monster 8 with 3 dice of death.

Mascot runs from Computer to Captain's Quarters.

Robot... just stands there.

Reinholdt:

Pilot 1 moves from Corridor I to Sick Bay, waving his poolstick. But instead of using it, he uses hand-to-hand combat to attack M13.

Shadowcaller: Pilot 2 moves from Corridor I to Science Lab.

Marine 2 bashes M11 in hand-to-hand combat.

Supply Officer runs from Corridor G into Sick Bay and bashes M13 in hand-to-hand combat.

The Bookworm:

That about right? Feel free to change them around.

Pilot 1 moves from Corridor I to Sick Bay, waving his poolstick. He attacks M13 with the pool stick.

Also:
The Bookworm should be changed to the following:

Comm Officer grabs Rocket Fuel and moves to Corridor H.

Changes are:

Add the Comm Officer's action.
Change the Pilot to attacking with the Pool Stick. No other unknown weapons are attacking the same target, so we should find out what it does.

Murska
2009-11-09, 05:00 AM
But do we really need to find out what the poolstick does at the cost of very likely letting M13 live?

Reinholdt
2009-11-09, 10:32 AM
The poolstick seems pretty likely to be a dice to kill weapon or a shrink. We've already found a 5 dice to stun, die fragments, and no effect and I think that greatly improves the odds of it being on of the former. The worst we could probably get would be grow, which won't affect an adult anyways.

I think it makes M13 more likely to be killed.

Murska
2009-11-09, 11:34 AM
1 Die Fragments (4); Grow (1); Shrink (1); 5 Dice to Stun (2); No Effect(2); 5 Dice to Kill (1); 4 Dice to Kill (2); 3 Dice to Kill (1).

The numbers in () behind each effect tell us how many of such weapons there are? Or something else?

Reinholdt
2009-11-09, 11:39 AM
There's four different chits for 1 die fragments? Really? :smallyuk:

If that's the case, then it looks more likely to do a bad thing. If those numbers are correct, he will not use the pool cue and instead attack in hand-to-hand.

Robert Blackletter
2009-11-17, 09:41 AM
is this still alive?

happyturtle
2009-11-17, 09:55 AM
Oops... seems to have slipped my mind. Will update now.

happyturtle
2009-11-17, 10:47 AM
The Ops Officer bravely aims his welding torch at M8, only to find... M8 kind of gets off on it... :smallyuk: So much that it lays an egg! (Welding Torch = Grow)

Pilot 1 (1d6), Supply Officer (1d6) and Captain Yid (3d6) attack M13, but the monster tenaciously refuses to die. Until someone points out that the narrator had a math fail. Then M13 dies.

The Yeoman and Marine 2 have better luck destroying M11. Because Marines are just awesome that way.

Sparks flees the Machine shop, leaving the Ops Officer alone battling a monster, but at the last minute feels guilty enough to try and help. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough.

The Machinist aims the Fire Extinguisher onto the bridge, causing the three eggs to explode! Hurray! But then the little bits of egg shell and yolk ... are they still moving? :smalleek: (Fire Ext = 1d6 fragments)
13 fragments are created

The Technician with the Comm Beamer stuns all the remaining monsters in Sick Bay.

The map:
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/werewolf/turn31.png
errata: Monster 13 is dead

Monster Turn 3 begins

((Order of effects is Grow, Shrink, Kill, Frags, Stun))

Reinholdt
2009-11-17, 10:51 AM
M13 should be dead. Adult's Con is 16. The five dice got a 17.

happyturtle
2009-11-17, 10:56 AM
What?

>.>
<.<

I can count... really...

Murska
2009-11-17, 11:08 AM
Oh dear. Hey Engineer, go pick up that other fire extinguisher... :smalleek:

MasterofMockery
2009-11-17, 07:49 PM
Grow eggs/Fragments (gothicbob, Smuchsmuch, This is easily the best thing to do.

1st a correction, 13 fragments were created so shouldn't it be m22-35 rather than 34

Move: M22-M35 move from first bridge to officers quarters
M2 to mess deck
M17 to saucer bay and M3 to Damage control.

Attack: Now M22-30 attack the robot, M31, 32 attack the machinist and M33-35 attack Sparks

M3 attacks Coxwain

M8 and M21 attack ops officer.

And I thank whoever has the machinist for fragmenting my eggs

happyturtle
2009-11-17, 08:03 PM
1. You can grow fragments OR eggs into babies. You can't grow both.

2. All Green Things recognize Robot as their mortal enemy, and can attack no one else if he's in their area.

3. Fragments:
M22, 23, 24, 25, 26 (first set)
M27, 28, 29, 30, 31 (second set)
M32, 33, 34 (third set)

Looks like 13 to me. :smallconfused:

smuchmuch
2009-11-17, 08:11 PM
Oh dear. Hey Engineer, go pick up that other fire extinguisher... :smalleek:

Awww, why so unhappy ? Don't you like to have plenty of children in your ship ? (okay, admitedly, they're the green one eyed carnivorous alien kind but no one can help the way they're made.)

Also, just to be sure, different extinguishers would have different effects ?

Grow eggs/Fragments (gothicbob, Smuchsmuch, This is easily the best thing to do.

No question here. But I'm pretty sure it's going to be eggs OR fragments, since we all have to agree on one stage for the grow phase. I guess we'll have to keep the eggs for next turn.

1)GROW
Grow fragments into babies

2)MOVE
Move M4 and M5 to Mess deck

3)ATTACK
No monsters in range

MasterofMockery
2009-11-17, 08:17 PM
1. You can grow fragments OR eggs into babies. You can't grow both.

2. All Green Things recognize Robot as their mortal enemy, and can attack no one else if he's in their area.

3. Fragments:
M22, 23, 24, 25, 26 (first set)
M27, 28, 29, 30, 31 (second set)
M32, 33, 34 (third set)

Looks like 13 to me. :smallconfused:

Ah, but can I have them attack in waves, IE first 8 go out, then the group of 3 and 2

happyturtle
2009-11-17, 08:31 PM
Nope. Everyone has to declare their actions first.

All copies of the same weapon have the same effect.

MasterofMockery
2009-11-17, 08:36 PM
darn, okay here are my new actions m22-33 attack the robot and m34 and m35 to attack the mascot.

Do those actions work?

Robert Blackletter
2009-11-18, 06:10 AM
1)GROW
Grow fragments into babies (strangely enough)

2)MOVE
m7 to corridor d

3)ATTACK
m14 attack technician

that my lot (I think)

happyturtle
2009-11-25, 03:45 PM
On the bridge, the Awful Green Fragments morph into Awful Green Babies.

M22-M33 bound into the Officers Quarters and rip Robot to pieces. Then one of them eats the pieces. :smalleek: Unfortunately, the pieces were rather sharp. 4 dice to kill damage to M33, who dies.

M34 heads for the Captain's cabin and omnomnom's the Mascot.

M35 does not exist, so doesn't do anything.

M14 also does not act, since it is stunned.

All stunned Green things awake at the end of the round.

Summary:
Robot is dead
Mascot is dead
M33 is dead

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/werewolf/awful-green-things/turn32.png

happyturtle
2009-11-25, 03:51 PM
Crew turn three begins.

1. Grab Weapons
2. Move
3. Attack

Day will end in 48 hours, and I have actually plugged a reminder into Outlook so I won't forget this time. >.<

Guancyto
2009-11-25, 03:52 PM
Eek. Sorry, Robot! :smalleek:

Do we want to try out Rocket Fuel on the Officer's quarters, maybe? Only have two fragment chits and no grows left... >_>

Reinholdt
2009-11-25, 04:21 PM
Eek. Sorry, Robot! :smalleek:

Do we want to try out Rocket Fuel on the Officer's quarters, maybe? Only have two fragment chits and no grows left... >_>

We don't really have a choice in the matter. We have to kill them now and that's the only chance we've got.

happyturtle
2009-11-27, 06:22 PM
Extending the turn due to Thanksgivingness.

Reinholdt
2009-11-27, 06:58 PM
Can we get a list of revealed weapons and what we know they do in a nice fancy table pretty please?

happyturtle
2009-11-27, 07:05 PM
{table=head]Weapon|Effect
acid|??
fire extinguisher|1 die fragments
zgwortz|??
comm beamer|5 dice to stun
gas grenade|??
stun pistol| 3 dice to kill
knife|1 die fragments
electric fence|??
can of rocket fuel|gah!
hypodermic|no effect
pool stick|??
welding torch| grow
random effect 1 (hypo and knife)|grow
random effect 2 (nomming Robot) |4 dice to kill
random effect 3|??

[/table]

I'm pretty sure that's all the weapons that have been used so far.

happyturtle
2009-11-27, 07:13 PM
Gah! um... I have to re-randomize the unused items now. >.<

The effects that have already been displayed will not be included in the possibilities.

*headdesk*

Reinholdt
2009-11-27, 07:16 PM
Gah! um... I have to re-randomize the unused items now. >.<

The effects that have already been displayed will not be included in the possibilities.

*headdesk*

Aww...
>>
<<

Anyways, the effect should still be in the possibilities, but yes, re-randomized.

happyturtle
2009-11-27, 07:19 PM
I mean, the ones that are now displayed won't be included in the new randomizing. The one that briefly showed will still be included.

Reinholdt
2009-11-27, 07:20 PM
Oh. Right.

Well here's crossing fingers for a good effect on the rocket fuel.

happyturtle
2009-11-28, 04:51 AM
Of course it won't matter if the crew remains frozen in indecision. :smalltongue:

Reinholdt
2009-11-28, 10:48 AM
I was mostly hoping someone else would chime in. Also, this is on the presumption that M13 should not be on the map since it has been struck out in the key above.

If nothing else then...

Comm Officer moves to Corridor B and throws the Rocket Fuel into the Officer's Quarters.

Eng Officer moves to Corridor G and throws the Rocket Fuel into the Mess Deck.

Engineer moves to Corridor L.

Coxswain grabs the gas grenade, dropping the can of Zgwortz, and moves to the Machine Shop where he attacks M8 in hand-to-hand.

Sparks moves to the Machine Shop and attacks M8 with the Stun Pistol.

OPs Officer attacks M8 in hand to hand, dropping that welding torch on the ground.

Pilot 1 moves to the Cockboat Bay and attacks M17 with the pool stick.

Pilot 2 grabs the bottle of acid and moves to Sick bay where he attacks M9 with the bottle of acid.

Captain Yid stays still and attacks M14 in hand-to-hand.

Yeoman stays still and attacks M14 with the Stun Pistol.

Marine 2 stays still and attacks M10 in hand-to-hand.

Technician shoots everything in Sick Bay just in case.

Supply Officer flails in a panic stands still and M12 in hand-to-hand, hoping to get lucky.

I'm not going to bother arranging it by player. If someone wants to come in at the last minute and change theirs they can.

Reinholdt
2009-12-07, 01:39 PM
Dead game should at least have the courtesy to die sometime when I don't spend time moving everything. :smalltongue:

happyturtle
2009-12-07, 04:15 PM
Players of dying game should poke narrator sooner. :smalltongue:

*will try and update tonight*

happyturtle
2009-12-09, 07:35 AM
Narrator wakes up from being STUNNED and performs 3d6 worth of UPDATE DAMAGE!

The Comm Officer and the Engineering officer light their cans of ROCKET FUEL and throw them through the HATCH into the Officer's Quarters and the Mess Deck. KABOOM! Bedding and clothes, tables and chairs, go up in FLAMES. When the smoke clears, they see that it has had a CURIOUS EFFECT!

Rocket Fuel causes Shrink!
M22-M32 babies become eggs
M4-5 adults become babies

In the cockboat bay, Pilot 1 thwacks M17 egg with his POOL STICK. Before his eyes, the egg VAPORIZES!

Pool stick causes Shrink!
M17 egg is vaporized

Coswain and the Ops Officer VIOLENTLY REND the M8 adult to PIECES, while Sparks SHOOTS it with the STUN PISTOL.

Captain Yid attacks the M14 adult with his TEETH while the Yeoman shoots with his STUN PISTOL.

Marine 2 casually STOMPS the M10 egg in a BADASS MANNER.

Supply Officer, who has always looked up to Marine 2, tries to EMULATE him, but the egg rolls out from under his PATHETIC STOMP ATTEMPT, and he lands on his ASS.

Pilot 2 pours out his VIAL OF ACID on M9 egg.

Acid causes 5d6 stun

Technician stuns the two remaining eggs in the Sick Bay, one of which was already stunned. M9 is now SUPER STUNNED! *disclaimer: SUPER STUNNING is exactly like STUNNING, but with EXTRA SUPER added to the FLAVOR TEXT

Summary:

M22-M32 shrunk to eggs
M4-5 shrunk to babies
M17 shrunk to nonexistence
M8, M14, M10 are killed
M9, M12 are stunned

rocket fuel magically reappears in the fuel pods
acid magically reappears in the science lab

Updated weapons chart:

Unused effects re-randomized. Since I accidentally included two 'grow' effects, I added a second 'shrink' effect as well

{table=head]Weapon|Effect
acid|5d6 stun
fire extinguisher|1 die fragments
zgwortz|??
comm beamer|5 dice to stun
gas grenade|??
stun pistol| 3 dice to kill
knife|1 die fragments
electric fence|??
can of rocket fuel|Shrink
hypodermic|no effect
pool stick|Shrink