PDA

View Full Version : Bard build critique?

Tyger
2009-10-20, 05:35 PM
Would any of you fine folks mind taking a quick peak at this bard character for any suggestions or advice.

He's going to be a face mostly (duh!) and won't be in hand to hand unless he can help it. His skills are mostly aimed at maximizing synergy bonuses for the first two levels. And yes, he has too many skill points, but the number is accurate for a houserule our DM uses (free NPC level at no cost). In addition, we houserule that once a skill is a class skill, it remains one no matter what class you have. So he's quite literally a skill monkey. :)

Bard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=151197)

Any advice is much appreciated.

ex cathedra
2009-10-20, 05:42 PM
If a flute isn't integral to the build, Perform (Strings) and a masterwork mandolin would increase your dragonfire inspiration damage by a d6.

Tyger
2009-10-20, 05:43 PM
If a flute isn't integral to the build, Perform (Strings) and a masterwork mandolin would increase your dragonfire inspiration damage by a d6.

How's that?

ex cathedra
2009-10-20, 05:48 PM
A masterwork mandolin, according to Complete Adventurer, increases your Inspire Courage attack bonus by a +1. DFI is based upon your Inspire Courage's bonus on attacks..

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-20, 05:49 PM
I assume the race is Silverbrow human, because you have the dragonblood stubtype.

Would take skill points out of Knowledge Nobility and Royalty. Gather Information, Speak Language and Perform Wind Instruments so that you can have ranks in Knowledges Arcana, Religion, the Planes, and Nature. The +2 to diplomacy will not be greatly missed. I assume the languages won't be a problem, though if your setting really demands you know so many languages, you should keep them. Gather Information is not that useful; either the DM wants you to find information or does not.

Grab the spell Improvisation instead of Silent Image. It gives you a floating pool of luck points equal to 2x caster level, half of which can be added to any one skill check, ability check, or attack roll.

Tyger
2009-10-20, 06:01 PM
I assume the race is Silverbrow human, because you have the dragonblood stubtype.

Would take skill points out of Knowledge Nobility and Royalty. Gather Information, Speak Language and Perform Wind Instruments so that you can have ranks in Knowledges Arcana, Religion, the Planes, and Nature. The +2 to diplomacy will not be greatly missed. I assume the languages won't be a problem, though if your setting really demands you know so many languages, you should keep them. Gather Information is not that useful; either the DM wants you to find information or does not.

Yeah, I should have noted on the sheet that he's a Silverbrow. Mental note to fix that up.

Our DM uses Gather Info from time to time, and this character is a nobleman's spymaster, so him having that skill is pretty important.

I didn't worry too much about those other knowledges due to his Bardic Knack... he's essentially got one rank in each of them already. Plus we have both a druid (for knowledge Nature) and a wizard (for the rest) in the party, so I wasn't too worried about grabbing all the knowledges. Do you think they'd really impact that much?

Grab the spell Improvisation instead of Silent Image. It gives you a floating pool of luck points equal to 2x caster level, half of which can be added to any one skill check, ability check, or attack roll.

That's a nice one. I'll take a closer look at that. Thanks!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-20, 06:10 PM
The issue I have with Gather Info is that it represents you going around and asking people.

You can do that just fine with a few diplomacy checks at the local wretched hive of scum and villainy. (At least imho)

I didn't worry too much about those other knowledges due to his Bardic Knack... he's essentially got one rank in each of them already. Plus we have both a druid (for knowledge Nature) and a wizard (for the rest) in the party, so I wasn't too worried about grabbing all the knowledges. Do you think they'd really impact that much?

Even the mighty wizard will roll low.

And you have to have one rank in trained skills to be able to substitute them with Bardic Knack.

Tyger
2009-10-20, 08:32 PM
And you have to have one rank in trained skills to be able to substitute them with Bardic Knack.

Damned fine catch sir, can't believe I missed that.

Took your advice, turfed Gather Info and took those points and spread them around into a few Trained only skills to get access thereto.

Thanks!

I like Inspiration for a spell, but think I'll just grab that as my level 3 additional spell known, as I love illusions and don't want to get rid of Silent Image. Granted, I'll likely retrain it out when I get access to the higher illusions, but there you have it.