PDA

View Full Version : Weird Die

Tetsubo 57
2009-10-20, 06:03 PM
I bought a strange D10 last weekend. Each face has the same triangle on it. I show it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs05KLfAoYk

Anyone know what it is?

kjones
2009-10-20, 06:12 PM
Factory defect?

Nice typewriter though. :smallcool:

Tetsubo 57
2009-10-20, 06:14 PM
Factory defect?

Nice typewriter though. :smallcool:

The store selling them had three, so if it's a defect, their QA guy needs to be fired. :)

Thanks, it's my wife's, she's a writer.

Weimann
2009-10-20, 06:21 PM
As I wrote on the video, maybe it's used for randomizing direction? The triangle on the upward face would point at someone around the table.

Kinda like spin-the-bottle, but with dice.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-20, 06:24 PM

:elan:: Roll, roll, roll the die to see who you will kiss!

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-20, 06:30 PM
As I wrote on the video, maybe it's used for randomizing direction? The triangle on the upward face would point at someone around the table.

Or maybe for determining the direction of a missed grenade or splash weapon? One of my DMs does something similar for dropped weapons, too.

Doc Roc
2009-10-20, 08:27 PM
I'm with Killian here, but I'm not sure how useful it'd be in practice. It looks very odd indeed.

Nai_Calus
2009-10-20, 11:12 PM
Maybe try asking Kevin Cook in his thread if he has any idea?

Atcote
2009-10-21, 12:51 AM
Possibly it's intended as a custom die; one you had the numbers/symbols onto the faces?

Glyde
2009-10-21, 10:00 AM
Commented on the video as well - I think it's a die for DMs to use when they need to roll 'something' to pretend that they're making a random decision, when they dont want a real die result to affect their decision subconsciously.

Cyclocone
2009-10-21, 10:18 AM
You could use it to freak out the players?

You know: The players enter the lair of the evil lich, and suddenly the DM pulls out the misshapen mutant die and starts rolling it, slowly, with a slight smile on his face; one roll for each player.
And when he's done rolling, the die is just sitting there, looking at you with its unforgiving, triangular eyes; each one seemingly identical to the next one...

But yeah, apart from being a jerk, you probably can't use it for much.