PDA

View Full Version : Which console to get?

Gamerlord
2009-10-20, 06:39 PM
I have been thinking of a console for awhile, but I don't know which one to get, even if I get one at all.

Any suggestions?

Jamin
2009-10-20, 06:41 PM
The one you want and not the one people who know very little about you and hung out the internet tell you to get.
P.S. get a Wii

Gamerlord
2009-10-20, 06:43 PM
The one you want and not the one people who know very little about you and hung out the internet tell you to get.
P.S. get a Wii

I'm just looking for some suggestions, I don't know which one to get.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-20, 06:46 PM
A playstation 3, OBVIOUSLY!!1!

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab273/Kologotov/SonyDefenseForce.jpg

You know why they call it an Xbox 360? Because when you see it, you turn 360 degrees right around and walk away!

Seriously though, get whichever console you like. The Wii is great fun if you regularly play in the house with multiple people is all I'll say. Think about what you want from a console and choose whichever one best fits that.

littlebottom
2009-10-20, 06:48 PM
personally, its the ps3, cus the xbox is alright for more casual gamers, but im not a casual gamer, so its dependant on your preference?:smallconfused:

thegurullamen
2009-10-20, 06:48 PM
I'm just looking for some suggestions, I don't know which one too get.

What do you want? What do you play? What don't you play? Do you have any problems with previous consoles? What are they? Do you hate any of the companies? What do you think about the Endor Holocaust? Do you put jam on your toast? Don't you put jam on your toast and if not, why not and since when? Well?!

When it comes to consoles, these things matter.

Mando Knight
2009-10-20, 07:03 PM
Mascot fighters? Wii.
Old-school Nintendo or Sega fan? Wii.
Got decent 'cube controllers? Wii.
Metroid fan? Wii.

The big differences between the 360 and the PS3 are the fact that the PS3 can play Blu-Ray and that they have some different exclusive titles. Of the two, I'd pick the one with the controller that feels right.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-20, 07:12 PM
personally, its the ps3, cus the xbox is alright for more casual gamers, but im not a casual gamer, so its dependant on your preference?:smallconfused:

Don't mention casual/hardcore, please...

I remember a somewhat similar thread... turned into a huge argument about that.

Gamerlord
2009-10-20, 07:20 PM
What do you want? What do you play? What don't you play? Do you have any problems with previous consoles? What are they? Do you hate any of the companies? What do you think about the Endor Holocaust? Do you put jam on your toast? Don't you put jam on your toast and if not, why not and since when? Well?!

When it comes to consoles, these things matter.

I play RPGs and strategys, though I will play anything fun, I DO NOT PLAY,AND WILL ETERNALLY HATE dating sims, never played a previous console, I hate none, EWOK.MUST.KILL. , I don't eat toast.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-20, 07:22 PM
I play RPGs

DS. Pokemon, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts (if you count it, which some do), Final Fantasy Remakes, and more like The World Ends With You, which I hear is very good.

But does that include "JRPG"s?

Gamerlord
2009-10-20, 07:24 PM
DS. Pokemon, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts (if you count it, which some do), Final Fantasy Remakes, and more like The World Ends With You, which I hear is very good.

But does that include "JRPG"s?

Japanese role-playing-games? I liked Final fantasy I,does that count?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-20, 07:26 PM
Japanese role-playing-games? I liked Final fantasy I,does that count?

Yes, yes it does.

Another thing I forgot to mention, DS is cheaper. Anywhere between $70 and $180 depending on whether you're getting a Phat, Lite, or i, and whether it's used or new. $20 buck cheaper than the Wii, the cheapest actual console.

Mando Knight
2009-10-20, 07:45 PM
I'll second grabbing a DS if you don't have one already. It's got Sonic Chronicles, TWEWY, Pokemon, Final Fantasy IV, and more.

From there, get a Wii, since you'll be able to store Diamond/Pearl Pokemon on the Ranch, download FF1, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, and FFIV: The After Years, play almost all of the Legend of Zelda games on two systems...

Crossblade
2009-10-20, 09:11 PM
]You know why they call it an Xbox 360? Because when you see it, you turn 360 degrees right around and walk away![/I]

I feel the need to point out that a 360 degree turn will put you facing the exact same way you started in. Walking at that point would bring you closer to said object.
To walk away, optimally, you should turn 180 degrees, then walk.

...or at least 90 degrees.

valadil
2009-10-20, 09:15 PM
Make a list of games you'd play on each console. Google is your friend. Pick the console with the most games you'd actually play. That's it really.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-20, 09:24 PM
I feel the need to point out that a 360 degree turn will put you facing the exact same way you started in. Walking at that point would bring you closer to said object.
To walk away, optimally, you should turn 180 degrees, then walk.

...or at least 90 degrees.

Sort of the point, I suspect. :smalltongue:

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-20, 09:28 PM
Have any friends with consoles? Get what they don't have (or what they do have if you want to do online play) and then you guys can experience all there is to experience.

No friends with consoles? The console prices are so close to eachother now that it really comes down to game preference. All of the consoles have plenty of games worth playing by this point.

MoelVermillion
2009-10-20, 09:32 PM
Xbox 360

The safe option. This console is a classic style console designed for games to be played the way they always have. The Xbox 360 is more affordable compared to the PS3 and has a more thriving online community. The Xbox 360 has a lot more popular exclusives then the PS3 (though that does not automatically make them better exclusives).

Wii

The Wii can be a dangerous console to purchase. While the Wii is generally a well liked console there is still a noticeably large group of gamers who bought a Wii then later found out that it wasn't for them. Most games on the Wii are going to be controlled exclusively by the wiimote/wiimote + attachments so you need to enjoy this control scheme to enjoy the wii. Seeing as you've never owned a console before you probably won't have built in expectations of how a console should control that hamper your wii experience but nonetheless I would reccomend trying one out at a friend's or store before buying it. As for games the Wii has a lot of great games based on long running popular Nintendo franchises and these are all generally considered good games, there is a lot of "shovel ware"(terrible games made just to turn a quick buck from those naive enough to buy them) but if you just avoid these games they won't be a problem.

PS3

The PS3 is the other not as safe as the Xbox option. The PS3 is similar to the Xbox 360 in most regards however it has some differences. The PS3 has less blockbuster exclusives then Xbox but otherwise has the same games. The PS3 is more expensive then the Xbox and seems to have a less thriving online community. Where the PS3 does win out is that the PS3 is not region locked allowing for you to import games if you choose to though this feature is only worth while if you think you will be importing. The controller is different to the Xbox so you may want to choose the one you preffer. Utimately you should look at the differences and pick which on you'll end up preferring.

DS

The DS is a good choice though it is not a home console. As a portable the DS can be played whenever you feel like it. A huge list of quality games and the portabillity make this a great choice. Obviously it has the lowest graphical output of the choices but as a handheld that is less of an issue. Ultimately the DS is a handheld with a bunch of excellent games, if you weren't fussy on home whether to get a homeconsole or handheld you may consider this.

My final advice is of course to try and get a chance to try each console and decide which one you think suits you the best. Personally I have the Wii, DS and PS3 and have found enjoyment from all the three, the Xbox seems pretty good from what I've seen too so it should all come down to personal taste.

tl;dr

All the consoles have their pros and cons, see if you can't try them at a friends house and see which one feels best to you.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-20, 09:35 PM
Personally, I'd say a DS is the best gaming system, after computers.

It's got something of everything, isn't horribly expensive, it's games are cheaper new then other consoles (50$ for a new DS game here, 70$ for a new Xbox 360 game), and judging by sales alone would be the best system of this console generation.

It also has 3 Castlevania games + the GBA ones, so that's a massive plus for me, personally. :smalltongue:

Shas aia Toriia
2009-10-20, 09:47 PM
Hate to point this out to thetsyman, but the PS3 is cheaper.
They're both $300 for the average PS3 slim and the top line 360, but PS3 doesn't charge you for online. Also, it doesn't get red rings (still a problem).

Get a Playstation, as it also has better strategy/RPG games than the 360, in my opinion.

MoelVermillion
2009-10-20, 09:51 PM
They're both $300 for the average PS3 slim and the top line 360, but PS3 doesn't charge you for online. Also, it doesn't get red rings (still a problem).

Get a Playstation, as it also has better strategy/RPG games than the 360, in my opinion.

Ah I'm running off Australian prices, The cheapest PS3 being $500 at EB and the Xbox 360 elite being $450. I'll edit those bits out of my post then.

Incidentally its this kind of crap that made region free the PS3's selling point for me :smallannoyed:.

Anteros
2009-10-20, 09:55 PM
You'll get access to more games right now with a 360, but more longevity with a PS3, so that's really up to your personal preference.

Personally I think the Wii is a waste of money. You will virtually never play it unless you're with a group of people...and honestly when I'm hanging out with a group of people, there are better things to do than play video games.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-20, 10:01 PM
I have an Xbox360 and a DS. I've played the PS3 and Wii extensively. Personally, the PS3 is the console that holds the most appeal for me, but I enjoy many Xbox360 and Wii games. I regard my purchase of the DS as a waste of money.

Zevox
2009-10-20, 10:09 PM
I play RPGs and strategys
DS, definitely a DS. The DS is the RPG "console" this generation. Just to list my own library of current DS RPGs:

- Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
- Magical Starsign
- Final Fantasy IV
- Dragon Quest IV
- Dragon Quest V
- Disgaea DS
- Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
- Chrono Trigger DS
- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

And a few coming in the future or which are already out but I don't have yet:

- The World Ends with You
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
- Nostalgia
- Golden Sun DS
- Dragon Quest VI
- Dragon Quest IX

And remember, that's just the RPG genre. That doesn't even count other great games like the two Advance Wars games (DS and Days of Ruin), or the two Legend of Zelda games (Phantom Hourglass and the upcoming Spirit Tracks), just to name two series. Personally, I regard the DS as the best "console" of the generation thus far, even though it's technically not a console, but rather a handheld.

Anyway, for the other three, I'd say you should look into what games they have, compare against your tastes, and decide for yourself. For instance, here's what I have and why:

I started this generation with a Wii. Nintendo's first and second party titles are always top-notch in my view, so I'll pretty much always start a generation with their console. And they haven't disappointed - Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, and best of all, Super Smash Brothers: Brawl; plus they have more coming, including Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Brothers Wii, Metroid: Other M, Pikmin 3, and another Zelda game. And there's a few great games from other companies too, like Mad World and Little King's Story. And the controller is just plain great, IMO.

I've also recently acquired a 360, mostly because the price drops have finally put it at an acceptable price for me ($250 for the version I got, same as I paid for the Wii) and because of the growth of RPGs on the console (especially from the ever-reliable Bioware, who already has Mass Effect out, and has Dragon Age: Origins coming out soon, and Mass Effect 2 in the further future). I currently only have Mass Effect, but plan on acquiring Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Too Human, Tales of Vesperia, and perhaps Brutal Legend, plus there are numerous others I intend to rent before deciding if I want to buy them, like Fable 2, and games I intend to just rent, like Soul Calibur 4.

The PS3, on the other hand, has exactly two exclusives I'm interested in. Disgaea 3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 - mostly Disgaea 3. The rest are all shared with the 360, and most of them fall under my "rent first" or "rent only" categories. Yeah, sorry Sony, but I'm not buying a console for just two games.

Zevox

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-20, 10:30 PM
I regard my purchase of the DS as a waste of money.

Mind elaborating?

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-20, 10:34 PM
Mind elaborating?

I just never play it. Played through Chrono Trigger and, uh... that's about it. Hardly any of the games on it appeal to me.

Akisa
2009-10-20, 10:43 PM
It's easy, the best console is easily PC ;)

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-20, 10:45 PM
DS, definitely a DS. The DS is the RPG "console" this generation.
Truly? No Nintendo console, handheld or otherwise, has ever had an RPG that I've played. Last time I checked, the Knights of the Old Republic series, the Elder Scrolls series, the Fallout series, Mass Effect series and the Neverwinter Nights series came out for either the PC or different generations of the Xbox. And Dragon Age: Origins, which is shaping up to be the pinnacle of RPGs in our time, isn't on the DS either. :smallconfused:

Zevox
2009-10-20, 11:04 PM
Truly? No Nintendo console, handheld or otherwise, has ever had an RPG that I've played. Last time I checked, the Knights of the Old Republic series, the Elder Scrolls series, the Fallout series, Mass Effect series and the Neverwinter Nights series came out for either the PC or different generations of the Xbox. And Dragon Age: Origins, which is shaping up to be the pinnacle of RPGs in our time, isn't on the DS either. :smallconfused:
Er, I gave a long list of RPGs I have for the DS, along with a good six I don't or which are coming in the future, in the very post you quoted. The DS is definitely an RPG magnet, both for new games and remakes of great oldies (or even remake of great more recent games, as in the case of Disgaea). It and the Wii are even getting the next two Dragon Quest games (IX on the DS, X on the Wii), which is possibly the single most popular video game series in Japan, and in my opinion with good reason. Dragon Quest 8 is one of my favorite games of last generation, and the rest of the series is consistently very good, if very traditional in style.

Maybe the trouble is that you're looking only at western RPGs. All the games you mentioned are such. And nearly all are from one company - Bioware. There are a lot more RPGs than just those out there, and a lot of them are great. My personal favorites, for instance, are Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 and 4.

And I'd hardly say Dragon Age is "shaping up to be the pinnacle of RPGs in our time" myself - that sounds very hyperbolic. It looks like it will be a good, possibly great, game to be sure, but I doubt there will ever be any one RPG I would describe like that. Hell, of the series you listed, I wouldn't even put forward Neverwinter Nights as a prime example of a great RPG (except maybe the Mask of the Betrayer expansion for 2), just of a good D&D-based video game RPG. Can't say I was terribly impressed by Elder Scrolls: Morrowind either, though I must mention that I only played it fairly briefly, certainly nowhere near all the way through.

Zevox

Akisa
2009-10-20, 11:06 PM
Er, I gave a long list of RPGs I have for the DS, along with a good six I don't or which are coming in the future, in the very post you quoted. The DS is definitely an RPG magnet, both for new games and remakes of great oldies (or even remake of great more recent games, as in the case of Disgaea). It and the Wii are even getting the next two Dragon Quest games (IX on the DS, X on the Wii), which is possibly the single most popular video game series in Japan, and in my opinion with good reason. Dragon Quest 8 is one of my favorite games of last generation, and the rest of the series is consistently very good, if very traditional in style.

Maybe the trouble is that you're looking only at western RPGs. All the games you mentioned are such. And nearly all are from one company - Bioware. There are a lot more RPGs than just those out there, and a lot of them are great. My personal favorites, for instance, are Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 and 4.

And I'd hardly say Dragon Age is "shaping up to be the pinnacle of RPGs in our time" myself - that sounds very hyperbolic. It looks like it will be a good, possibly great, game to be sure, but I doubt there will ever be any one RPG I would describe like that. Hell, of the series you listed, I wouldn't even put forward Neverwinter Nights as a prime example of a great RPG (except maybe the Mask of the Betrayer expansion for 2), just of a good D&D-based video game RPG. Can't say I was terribly impressed by Elder Scrolls: Morrowind either, though I must mention that I only played it fairly briefly, certainly nowhere near all the way through.

Zevox

Wait you liked Mask of the Betrayer? Or did you meant Hordes of the Underdark ;)

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-20, 11:11 PM
Wait you liked Mask of the Betrayer? Or did you meant Hordes of the Underdark ;)

What's so strange about that?

The general opinion appears to be "The OC sucks, but MotB is good."

@V Amen to that.

warty goblin
It's easy, the best console is easily PC ;)

This one the truth speaks.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand if you just played games as a sort of way to kill ten minutes now and again how a console would be appealing. If you're really interested, really passionate about games though, I simply don't understand why somebody would want a console. The PC is a bit more work, and a bit more expensive, but there's such a huge variety of games available it sort of boggles:
Citybuilders, Real Time Strategy, Turn Based tactical games, grand strategy titles, Real Time/Turn Based hybrids, shooters of the first and third person varieties in all the colors of the rainbow, roleplaying games ranging from mega production titles to stuff from smaller studios to the downright indie, puzzle games, simulation games, MMOs, racing games...

And that's not even the weird stuff.

Archpaladin Zousha

Zevox

That's a good point. I suppose my knowledge of RPGs is basically limited to BioWare and Bethesda, but the truth is I simply haven't played many Japanese games. I've played some of the big-name Nintendo stuff, such as Fire Emblem (the American GBA release), F-Zero (for the GameCube) and some of the Legend of Zelda games, as well as the Super Smash Bros. series, but I've never actually finished any of those games, and none of them could really be called RPGs. And as far as I know, there's never been a JRPG for the PC, which is the only other console I have at the moment.

Zevox
2009-10-20, 11:15 PM
No, I meant Mask of the Betrayer. The expansion to the second game with the small but detailed and interesting party with backstories that that wove into the storyline nicely, and a short but fascinating story which involves the machinations of a dead god and a crusade over the Wall of the Faithless. Not Hordes of the Underdark, the expansion to the first game which was little more than a decent dungeon crawl for epic-level characters that let you fight an Archdevil at the end.

I've played some of the big-name Nintendo stuff, such as Fire Emblem (the American GBA release), F-Zero (for the GameCube) and some of the Legend of Zelda games, as well as the Super Smash Bros. series, but I've never actually finished any of those games, and none of them could really be called RPGs.
Er, no, you're quite wrong on that last statement. Fire Emblem is an RPG series. A tactical RPG, a sub-genre that it created, but an RPG nonetheless. As is another game for the DS I mentioned, Disgaea.

And as far as I know, there's never been a JRPG for the PC, which is the only other console I have at the moment.
Aye, that is a problem. And one reason why I prefer consoles to PCs for gaming. Few, if any, games out of Japan make it onto PCs, and I find I tend to prefer games from Japan to western ones, with the exception of Bioware's games and real-time strategy games (which are more or less nonexistant among Japanese games or consoles). And Rareware's games, back in the N64 era...

Zevox

Akisa
2009-10-20, 11:46 PM
I don't really like Mask of Betrayer, fails short compare to Hordes of the Underdark big time. Both OC were meh...

ondonaflash
2009-10-21, 12:28 AM

*ahem*BAH!*ahem*

Chrono Trigger 4Life

Dispozition
2009-10-21, 12:52 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2410/2273752726_ea16ee5479.jpg

But in all seriousness.
I think PC is the best and normally has the best variety of games, especially since you can reach back 10 years and still be able to play every single pc game made then.

The wii is very fun if you have friends around often and want to play games with them, Brawl especially.
The PS3 is great for single player games, specifically stuff like JRPGs and that, which Xbox 360 is great for online shooters.

Really, it comes to down what games you like to play, and how you play them.

Akisa
2009-10-21, 01:19 AM
*ahem*BAH!*ahem*

Chrono Trigger 4Life

Gogogo emulators

Zevox
2009-10-21, 01:52 AM
The PS3 is great for single player games, specifically stuff like JRPGs and that,
You know, perhaps I'm simply out of the loop, but that's not the impression I get. As far as JRPGs go, it seems as though they're all on the DS this generation, not the PS3, and that people saying the PS3 has a lot of JRPGs are mostly just assuming that the trend from the PS2 is carrying over to it. Seriously, I can think of only two JRPGs I have heard are on the PS3 - Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles. Beyond that I just know that Final Fantasy 13 will be on it, but that'll be on the 360 as well, not a PS3 exclusive like the other two.

Honestly, if the PS3 really were JRPG-heavy, I'd have a reason to get it, since that's practically my favorite genre (almost every PS2 game I own is a JRPG). But unless I'm simply badly misinformed, that's not the case.

Zevox

Dispozition
2009-10-21, 02:06 AM
You know, perhaps I'm simply out of the loop, but that's not the impression I get. As far as JRPGs go, it seems as though they're all on the DS this generation, not the PS3, and that people saying the PS3 has a lot of JRPGs are mostly just assuming that the trend from the PS2 is carrying over to it. Seriously, I can think of only two JRPGs I have heard are on the PS3 - Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles. Beyond that I just know that Final Fantasy 13 will be on it, but that'll be on the 360 as well, not a PS3 exclusive like the other two.

Honestly, if the PS3 really were JRPG-heavy, I'd have a reason to get it, since that's practically my favorite genre (almost every PS2 game I own is a JRPG). But unless I'm simply badly misinformed, that's not the case.

Zevox

I was thinking compatability into the PS/2 era with all the final fantasy's, as well as everything else Squenix as put out, as well as a lot of other games.

Oregano
2009-10-21, 02:23 AM
I was thinking compatability into the PS/2 era with all the final fantasy's, as well as everything else Squenix as put out, as well as a lot of other games.

But Squeenix haven't developed any PS3 games yet, the first one will be FFXIII. Meanwhilst they've released The Last Remnant(also a rare JRPG on the PC), Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean 4 on the 360. Mistwalker have only made 360 and DS games up until now but Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are two of the best JRPGs out there. EDIT: The majority of PS3s don't have PS2 backwards compatibility either and PS1 games can be hard to find, especially JRPGs.

But yer, if you want JRPGs get a DS, it gets more than any other system right now, hey in Japan this year it's had a Kingdom Hearts game, a Dragon Quest game and it's getting a brand new Final Fantasy game as well as plethora of other titles like a new Crystal Chronicles and a remake of SaGa 2.

If you want WRPGs though on the DS, there's not much. Sonic Chronicles was made by Obsidian so that technically counts and there's Id software's Orcs and Elves and the upcoming Fighting Fantasy game which takes a lot of cues from the Elder Scrolls.

Athaniar
2009-10-21, 02:40 AM
If you like classic Nintendo games, buy the Wii. 1000 points cost 10 Euro (probably not in the US, though), and that'll get you a whole N64 game, or several older ones. Not to mention the great games original to the Wii, such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii.

Two games I'd definitely reccomend for a strategy and RPG fan are Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Virtual Console) and Swords & Soldiers, a not-too-serious sidescrolling RTS (yes, actually).

Plus, the Internet channel is now free!

Zevox
2009-10-21, 09:00 AM
Perhaps, but that's not really the PS3 you're recommending for that then, but rather a PS2. Especially since, as Oregano pointed out, most PS3s have dropped backwards compatibility as a feature in order to lower the price - you'll never be able to play a PS/2 game on those new, more affordable $300 PS3 Slims. And according to Wikipedia, all the backwards-compatible PS3s are no longer in production.

If you want WRPGs though on the DS, there's not much. Sonic Chronicles was made by Obsidian so that technically counts
Minor correction: Sonic Chronicles was made by Bioware, not Obsidian.

Zevox

Oregano
2009-10-21, 11:19 AM
Minor correction: Sonic Chronicles was made by Bioware, not Obsidian.

It's surprisingly easy to get the two mixed up.:smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2009-10-21, 12:11 PM
1000 points cost 10 Euro (probably not in the US, though)

We get a better deal: 1000 points for ~$10 USD, roughly 2/3 the price.

The price for each game varies depending on the system it was originally released for, as well as several other factors: a game that was originally released only in Japan seems to cost +20% of the usual.

Squeenix and Capcom seem to be trying to make up with Nintendo, releasing MM9 on the Wii first and giving Ninty a good number of exclusives. Sega also seems to be attached to their former rival, what with Sonic characters featuring alongside Mario ones in three games within the last two years and the Wii getting more exclusives.

Nintendo systems also have the Final Fantasy tactics (for the DS/GBA) and Fire Emblem series if you like turn-based tactical combat...

As for games the Wii has a lot of great games based on long running popular Nintendo franchises and these are all generally considered good games, there is a lot of "shovel ware"(terrible games made just to turn a quick buck from those naive enough to buy them) but if you just avoid these games they won't be a problem.
Solution: Only buy the Wii games from developers people trust. That is, get mostly Nintendo games for a Nintendo system. Metroid, Mario, Legend of Zelda, and such are almost all gold. Square Enix and Capcom also make good stuff when they feel like it, especially when they look back at their glory days.

Erloas
2009-10-21, 12:50 PM
Well... I go into a lot of people's houses and see Wiis unused on a shelf. Really unless you like the few established characters Nintendo has, they really don't have much else. If you aren't thinking how you would like to play 15 different games with Mario in it, then the Wii is probably not the system for you.

My cousin, and now roommate, has a 360. And the month and a half he has been living at my house he has used it all of once. He left some of his favorite games at his parents, so that could account for not playing it as much. He hasn't bothered renting any games and it doesn't sound like he is planning on purchasing any more soon. Also most of the games he likes on the system are also on the PC. He spends almost all his gaming time either on the PS2 or on his laptop.

My brother has a PS3 but I don't see him enough to know how much he uses it. There are only a few games he has said much about on the system. I know he still spends a decent amount of time playing PC games too.

Personally I just use my PC and haven't really put any real thought into a console because I'm already using my PC for all sorts of things every day anyway and there are more games then I can play on the PC anyway. I'm also spending a lot more time playing table top war games instead.

Gamerlord
2009-10-21, 01:58 PM
"PC is teh greatest evah!!!!"

I love the PC, but I want to buy something I won't' have to upgrade every year.

Optimystik
2009-10-21, 02:11 PM
I cast my vote for the 360, as you will have the best of both worlds; the "hardcore" titles available on the PS3 and PC, plus more "casual" titles through XBLA and the soon-to-be-released Project Natal.

The oft-touted Blu Ray that the PS3 offers is a nice selling point, but one that (a) does nothing if you don't have a high-end television to take advantage of it, and (b) lengthens disc-loading times because the BR reads more slowly than the XBox HD-DVD.

The price differential is no longer a huge issue, however take note - the PS3 Slim has half the hard drive space of the 360 elite for the same price. Since you'll likely be wanting to install your games on the PS3 (to get around the slow Blu Ray) this can end up being very relevant.

Also, Netflix and Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Gamerlord
2009-10-21, 02:14 PM
What I need In whatever console I might get is plenty of games for my younger siblings to play, but just as many T-M games for me too play, or at least some interesting RPGs and Strategys.

warty goblin
2009-10-21, 02:15 PM
"PC is teh greatest evah!!!!"

I love the PC, but I want to buy something I won't' have to upgrade every year.

I have had exactly the same computer since probably 2006, no hardware upgrades or anything beyond driver and Windows updates. It works like a charm, and runs most PC exclusives with rather a lot of settings dialed reasonably high. For most games I find it looks about as good, if not better than a console. It doesn't max out Crysis, but that's OK.

Needing to upgrade every year is a myth.

Gamerlord
2009-10-21, 02:17 PM
I have had exactly the same computer since probably 2006, no hardware upgrades or anything beyond driver and Windows updates. It works like a charm, and runs most PC exclusives with rather a lot of settings dialed reasonably high. For most games I find it looks about as good, if not better than a console. It doesn't max out Crysis, but that's OK.

Needing to upgrade every year is a myth.

I got my piece of junk in 2004, won't run anything made this year.

The Orange Zergling
2009-10-21, 02:18 PM
While PCs certainly have their place and do certain genres very well, consoles are also a worthy investment. I've had my 360 for... I think about 4 months now and I've already gotten hundreds of hours out of the thing. And this is to say nothing of the untold thousands of hours I got out of previous console generations.

The Wii is more of a party game thing where you and a friend (or a few) get together for some silly and lighthearted fun. That being said, it does also have a host of good single-player games like Twilight Princess and No More Heroes. It has less processing and graphical power than other consoles but its unique control scheme makes up for that. It seems to do rail shooters, party games and mini games well, and probably some other things that slip my mind at the moment.

The Xbox 360 is more of an all-rounder, from what I can tell it has less cartoony stuff (though there is certainly some out there) than the Wii and has legions of both multiplayer and singleplayer games and seems to tend towards more graphic content. It's also rather physically large and has a couple technical problems but from what I hear as long as you use common sense (don't move it during play, don't keep it running for too long without breaks) those things are avoidable, plus Microsoft has taken some steps to amend that. And there's a warranty. It has a very comfortable controller and does action games (like Prototype and Grand Theft Auto) very, very well but is also reasonably competent with shooters.

Haven't seen a PS3 in person yet so I can't say anything about it.

I own both the Wii and 360 and they are very, very different but I most certainly do not regret either purchase.

Yora
2009-10-21, 02:19 PM
Perhaps, but that's not really the PS3 you're recommending for that then, but rather a PS2. Especially since, as Oregano pointed out, most PS3s have dropped backwards compatibility as a feature in order to lower the price - you'll never be able to play a PS/2 game on those new, more affordable $300 PS3 Slims. And according to Wikipedia, all the backwards-compatible PS3s are no longer in production.
I strongly suspect, that it has a lot to do with PS2 still selling very well. Even better than PS3 I heard. So if you get a PS3, you still keep your old PS2 instead of selling it. And with less used PS2s available, the more new PS2s can be sold.

But the new PS2 models are really small, not larger than a DVD case. So it's ideal for taking with you when you're away. Even the "slim" PS3 is still as large and heavy as an Xbox 360.
Currently I have 18 PS2 games and only 3 for PS3, and I got my first PS2 after PS3 was introduced. Those PS3 games I really want to play are mostly sceduled for released early next year.

thefinalbattle
2009-10-21, 02:19 PM
wii. /thread.

Yora
2009-10-21, 02:24 PM
I think PC is the best and normally has the best variety of games, especially since you can reach back 10 years and still be able to play every single pc game made then.
I disagree, this is rather a point for consoles. Running 10 year old games on a new PC really isn't that easy to do and often requires some work. And it often does not work quite as you want it to.
But unless your console breaks down, all you need is to find a way to get it plugged into a screen and it will work.
I can play PS1 games as easily as it was 15 years ago. But setting up X-Wing on Windows Vista with working sound and joystick will be no fun at all, and it's the same age.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-21, 02:24 PM
I got my piece of junk in 2004, won't run anything made this year.

Then maybe you shouldn't have boughten a piece of junk.

Oslecamo
2009-10-21, 02:25 PM
What I need In whatever console I might get is plenty of games for my younger siblings to play, but just as many T-M games for me too play, or at least some interesting RPGs and Strategys.

Then the WII definetely. It has a lot of friendly games, but then it also has darker games like No More Heros, several of the resident evils (wich are a completely new experience with the wiimote), and great classics like the Metroid series and Mario.

Ditto for the DS, wich sacrifices graphics for the fact that it can be used anywhere!

Even while you're playing on the PC! Nothing like killing some more mooks in Fire Emblem while I wait for the loading screen!:smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2009-10-21, 02:27 PM
Then maybe you shouldn't have boughten a piece of junk.

It wasn't a piece of junk at the time :smallannoyed: .

warty goblin
2009-10-21, 02:38 PM
It wasn't a piece of junk at the time :smallannoyed: .

Neither was the original Xbox, yet I'm fairly certain it's not gonna run anything coming out this year. Same goes for the Gamecube, although that actually might have been a hunk of junk in '04.

If your gonna complain about upgrading something every five years, I've got some bad news for you: when it comes to consoles or computers, you are probably screwed.

Gamerlord
2009-10-21, 02:40 PM
Neither was the original Xbox, yet I'm fairly certain it's not gonna run anything coming out this year. Same goes for the Gamecube, although that actually might have been a hunk of junk in '04.

If your gonna complain about upgrading something every five years, I've got some bad news for you: when it comes to consoles or computers, you are probably screwed.
riddle me this: which is cheaper, a $800 computer with a decent graphics card, or a $100-$400 console :smallamused: ?

Lord Seth
2009-10-21, 02:53 PM
Get a DS, best system of this generation. Cheaper than the others, also.

riddle me this: which is cheaper, a $800 computer with a decent graphics card, or a $100-$400 console :smallamused: ?That's only a fair comparison if you count only gaming; computers have far more utility than any gaming console has.

Though I'm not sure what the point of advising someone to get a computer is, because I'd venture a guess that 99.9% or more of the people here already have one...

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-21, 02:57 PM
riddle me this: which is cheaper, a $800 computer with a decent graphics card, or a $100-$400 console :smallamused: ?

Did the computer fall off a truck? :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2009-10-21, 03:42 PM
Did the computer fall off a truck? :smalltongue:

Nope. Fresh from amazon.

Optimystik
2009-10-21, 04:08 PM
That's only a fair comparison if you count only gaming; computers have far more utility than any gaming console has.

Chances are that utility is irrelevant to this discussion; the OP more than likely has a computer that can do non-gaming stuff, given that he made this thread and all. :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2009-10-21, 04:10 PM
Chances are that utility is irrelevant to this discussion; the OP more than likely has a computer that can do non-gaming stuff, given that he made this thread and all. :smalltongue:

Yep! Besides, is internet use really worth $400?
:smallamused:

kc0bbq
2009-10-21, 04:32 PM

Get a Playstation, as it also has better strategy/RPG games than the 360, in my opinion.Funny, my launch XBox360 hasn't had a RROD, ever, but my PS3 has had the PS3 equivalent and has been shipped in for repairs, so saying it doesn't get red rings is only true if you don't consider the blinking light to be the same thing.

The only PS3 exclusive that I can think of that matters or doesn't have an XBox equivalent is Disgaea 3, but then Xbox has Blue Dragon and the sequel if it ever comes out.

The Xbox doesn't take 40 bajillion hours to update it's software, so that's a plus. The PS3 is still one of the better blu-ray players and uses normal, user replacable HDDs. The Microsoft steering wheel is better than what's available for the PS3. GT5 might end up being better than Forza 3, but that's assuming GT5 actually gets released someday. They delay like Blizzard on a bad day.

Wii has Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and SSB:M. The controllers get an endless array of attachments to do additional niftiness.

I own all three, the 360 gets by far the most use, and will continue to be that way until the next Wii game comes out that I can't live without. With Transcode360 installed I think the 360 is a better media station, though the PS3 is a bit better without. The PS3 controllers are a bit too small if you have normal sized hands. The ginormous 360 controllers have suprisingly good ergonomics.

If you like to play online, even though you pay for the good service, Xbox Live is superior.

Unless there are some exclusives you can't live without, go to a big box store and play the demo model of each. Pick out the one that has the controller you like to use the most.

Erloas
2009-10-21, 04:41 PM

Well you can get a good gaming PC for about $600 if you build it yourself (a fairly trivial task and something just about anyone should be able to do). When it breaks even is when you add the $200 to the Wii for extra controllers and the 6 attachments each of them need for various games. Even the 360 and PS3 controllers cost more then a decent "gaming" keyboard and about the same as a "gaming" mouse with the pretty much as effective normal versions being a lot cheaper. Then you add in that the same game for each system will run about $10-20 cheaper for the PC and will drop down to that sub $20 price point a lot faster. Also a lot more DLC that is free on the PC compared to the consoles.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-21, 04:50 PM
Good point. One thing to really consider about gaming on a PC is that stuff is just cheaper. Alot of content which you pay for on a console (CoD maps and L4D add ons for example) is free on PC.

Just a couple weeks ago I bought all of BioShock, Mount and Blade, and Age of Conan for a total of $15 on Direct to Drive due to its sale. And steam is constantly having sales.

Not to mention the standard for games on PC is generally $50, while the PS3 and Xbox is at $60.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-21, 05:23 PM
Just thinking, that this is a thread about Gamerkid asking what our opinions on the consoles were, and has stated he doesn't want a computer...

Trazoi
2009-10-21, 06:05 PM
I can see where you're coming from. A 2004 PC is good enough to do nearly anything except run the shiniest games, and it's hard to justify upgrading the whole computer just for that.

Since all the consoles have been out for a while, I'd recommend heading over to Metacritic and looking at some of the top rated games for each platform. If a console has half a dozen games you're keenly interested in buying, then it's a safe enough buy. Also factor in what games your friends are playing so you can trade and play or discuss the same games. And if you've got some favourite local stores that mainly stock games for one platform, that might be an issue too.

Which is better depends a lot on what you like and whether you play local or internet multiplayer. I've got a Wii and Xbox 360 and prefer to play single or local multiplayer only. I also play older games on the PC (my PC is from 2004 too) and a few games on the Mac.

I bought the Wii near release because I'm a big fan of Nintendo's games. It's probably the best complement to a gaming rig PC as it's different, and it's good for pick-up-and-play party games. However apart from the Nintendo first and second party games there's only a handful of games that I find interesting. There's enough Nintendo fare to make me like the console just for that, but if those games aren't your cup of tea then it mightn't be for you. I also use the Wii to play older console games through the Virtual Console, which is worth considering.

I only recently got the Xbox 360, and so far I've mainly been playing RPGs of various stripes. It's a good console too. It shares many of the games or game types with the PC, so if you're looking for a replacement to buying a beefed up gaming rig it's a good choice. You will need to pay for the internet service if you want to play multiplayer games though; not an issue for me, as I just use the free Silver service for updates, but might be an issue for your tastes.

I haven't played the PS3, so I can't comment. I thought it was a more JRPG friendly platform, but other comments here say I'm mistaken (really, only two worth getting? I thought there were more). You could consider getting a PS2 if you can find one cheap and have a place where you can buy the games. I also haven't played the DS yet; looks like a great gaming system, but I'm not really into handhelds.

Triaxx
2009-10-21, 06:06 PM
The Wii is indeed awesome, and now my opinion has shifted from the 360 to the PS3. Infamous, Uncharted 2, Arkham Asylum which is far better on the PS3 in my opinion than on the 360.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-21, 06:17 PM
No, I meant Mask of the Betrayer. The expansion to the second game with the small but detailed and interesting party with backstories that that wove into the storyline nicely, and a short but fascinating story which involves the machinations of a dead god and a crusade over the Wall of the Faithless. Not Hordes of the Underdark, the expansion to the first game which was little more than a decent dungeon crawl for epic-level characters that let you fight an Archdevil at the end.
I freakin' LOVE Mask of the Betrayer!

Er, no, you're quite wrong on that last statement. Fire Emblem is an RPG series. A tactical RPG, a sub-genre that it created, but an RPG nonetheless. As is another game for the DS I mentioned, Disgaea.
It is? As far as I could tell there wasn't much in the way of actual role-playing in it. I mean, in the GBA release you were sort of a supporting cast member, and in The Sacred Stones you didn't actually get your own character in the story. Yes, the games had wonderfully complex stories, likeable characters, and level progressions, but those are all secondary to what, in my opinion, makes a roleplaying game a roleplaying game. ROLE-PLAYING. I would even go so far as to say that games like Diablo and the like can't really be considered RPGs, since the character is already created and defined for you, and the only real choices you have as to what the character's like is to choose what powers they'll get to kill things more efficiently.

Maybe I've been spoiled by Dungeons and Dragons too much, but I find it very difficult to call most JRPGs true RPGS. You're not playing a character so much as guiding the characters. It feels more like being a chessmaster than an actual character in the story.

Aye, that is a problem. And one reason why I prefer consoles to PCs for gaming. Few, if any, games out of Japan make it onto PCs, and I find I tend to prefer games from Japan to western ones, with the exception of Bioware's games and real-time strategy games (which are more or less nonexistant among Japanese games or consoles). And Rareware's games, back in the N64 era...

Zevox
What makes these games appealing? Like I said, most of the Japanese games I've played I've never actually finished. For some reason I just end up feeling dissatisfied with them.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-10-21, 06:21 PM
I have to say I like the Wii the best because of the type of games I prefer, but I actually recommend getting ALL the consoles if possible. :smallwink::smalltongue:

Trazoi
2009-10-21, 06:42 PM
It is? As far as I could tell there wasn't much in the way of actual role-playing in it.
To be fair, there isn't that much role-playing in the majority of western RPGs either, what with the plot being railroaded for you. You might get a choice whether you wear warrior bracers or the wizard hat, and you might get to choose whether you travel on the Paladin Express or via Blackguard Transit, but you've still got to pass the same stations and reach the same destination. The closest popular game that I've seen recently with some actual role-playing freedom is The Sims. That doesn't tend to mesh well with the popular opinion of RPGs. :smallwink:

Pretty much any game which represents increasing characters abilities on an in-game spreadsheet has a claim to the RPG label these days. Fire Emblem is IMO actually better than most JRPGs, as the storytelling does change superficially when characters die.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-21, 07:14 PM
Hmm...that IS a good point. What would it take for a video game to be a TRUE roleplaying game?

Gamerlord
2009-10-21, 07:21 PM
Hmm...that IS a good point. What would it take for a video game to be a TRUE roleplaying game?

You don't need a video game to roleplay, just talk with someone :smalltongue: .

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-21, 07:31 PM
Seriously? Last time I checked most people would look at me like I had a railroad spike through my head if I went up to them and said I'm a paladin dedicated to the sun god. :smallconfused:

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-21, 07:55 PM

Simple. You can't get a TRUE 100% Simulation of an RPG, but Fallout 1&2 do far better then any other game I've seen.

And Arcanum, I'd imagine, but I haven't gotten very far in that yet.

Zevox
2009-10-21, 08:02 PM
It's pretty much impossible, realistically. Video games have to have everything pre-programmed into them, which means that, by nature, you will always have limited options as to what you can and cannot do. For true roleplaying, you need tabletop games (or play-by-post internet games, or something else of the sort - games in which you interact with other humans, not a computer).

As such, video game RPGs are really better defined by their story-centric focus and gameplay mechanics, which at the bare minimum always include some way in which the characters grow throughout the game, usually by a level-based system. Sub-categories will vary by more specific gameplay elements, such as turn based, action, and tactical RPGs.

There are a few RPGs out there that try to give you a fair amount of available roleplaying - mostly things from Bioware or the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona games, at least of those I know of - but their options are always very limited. Usually to dialogue choices that do not really impact the game and generic "good/evil" options for resolutions to certain problems. And honestly, I feel that some video game RPGs with little or no roleplaying available can be better than if they had roleplaying the way those games do. Allowing you to determine what one character says necessarily makes that character less interesting and detailed than the others can be in a well-written game, since you're basically expected to make up the character's motivations yourself, leaving the game itself a blank in that area. In that sense, I often think of a good video game RPG as like an interactive novel, personally, and what level of interactivity is good for the game will vary from game to game.

What makes these games appealing? Like I said, most of the Japanese games I've played I've never actually finished. For some reason I just end up feeling dissatisfied with them.
Personally, I simply find that Japanese games are usually better than western ones. Better stories, better gameplay. For an obvious example, the Mario series is pretty much the best there is of the platforming genre in my view, and has only been surpassed once in my opinion, by N64-era Rareware's Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie games. I would say much the same for the Legend of Zelda series and action/adventure games, though there I do not think that it has ever been surpassed.

Zevox

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-21, 08:12 PM
It's pretty much impossible, realistically. Video games have to have everything pre-programmed into them, which means that, by nature, you will always have limited options as to what you can and cannot do. For true roleplaying, you need tabletop games (or play-by-post internet games, or something else of the sort - games in which you interact with other humans, not a computer).

As such, video game RPGs are really better defined by their story-centric focus and gameplay mechanics, which at the bare minimum always include some way in which the characters grow throughout the game, usually by a level-based system. Sub-categories will vary by more specific gameplay elements, such as turn based, action, and tactical RPGs.

There are a few RPGs out there that try to give you a fair amount of available roleplaying - mostly things from Bioware or the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona games, at least of those I know of - but their options are always very limited. Usually to dialogue choices that do not really impact the game and generic "good/evil" options for resolutions to certain problems. And honestly, I feel that some video game RPGs with little or no roleplaying available can be better than if they had roleplaying the way those games do. Allowing you to determine what one character says necessarily makes that character less interesting and detailed than the others can be in a well-written game, since you're basically expected to make up the character's motivations yourself, leaving the game itself a blank in that area. In that sense, I often think of a good video game RPG as like an interactive novel, personally, and what level of interactivity is good for the game will vary from game to game.
Good point. While I like deciding what the characters say, I can't really determine what they were like. I think Fallout 3's really the only game that ever lets you decide how your character behaves through all stages of his or her life, and even then, you're only shown snapshots of that life. You don't play through your character's entire childhood before you reach the point where you leave the vault. And most of the other games out there provide even less than that. The Elder Scrolls games and Fable are really rough in that regard, since there's next to no way to define your character other than what he or she looks like, and from there you can basically do anything you want, and yet it still won't matter much. This is one reason why I'm so excited for Dragon Age: Origins. It gives you more to go on than just being a blank slate, and it does it in a very good way.

Maybe I should give Fire Emblem a second look. I kind of stopped playing it since at one point I just couldn't get throughthe fight without somebody dying, necessitating me to start the fight over and over and over again.

Personally, I simply find that Japanese games are usually better than western ones. Better stories, better gameplay. For an obvious example, the Mario series is pretty much the best there is of the platforming genre in my view, and has only been surpassed once in my opinion, by N64-era Rareware's Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie games. I would say much the same for the Legend of Zelda series and action/adventure games, though there I do not think that it has ever been surpassed.

Zevox
So why can I never bring myself to finish playing a Zelda game? Several times when I play non-RPG games my hands start shaking and get really really cold, especially during boss fights. One time when I was trying to play Twilight Princess it got so bad that I had to ask my brother to step in and take the controller since my hands weren't cooperating. I never had this problem with other games. And I'm not really a fan of platformers. Those kinds of games require much more skill than I can muster.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-21, 08:16 PM
I think Fallout 3's really the only game that ever lets you decide how your character behaves through all stages of his or her life, and even then, you're only shown snapshots of that life. You don't play through your character's entire childhood before you reach the point where you leave the vault.

Can you imagine how boring that would be?

"Today I went to class. I learnt about the war."
"Today I went to class. I learnt about before the war."
"Today I didn't go to class. I didn't learn about the war."

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-21, 08:21 PM
Can you imagine how boring that would be?

"Today I went to class. I learnt about the war."
"Today I went to class. I learnt about before the war."
"Today I didn't go to class. TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!"

Slight edit.

Zevox
2009-10-21, 08:33 PM
Maybe I should give Fire Emblem a second look. I kind of stopped playing it since at one point I just couldn't get throughthe fight without somebody dying, necessitating me to start the fight over and over and over again.
Heh, yeah, that can happen in Fire Emblem. I actually like it, personally. It shows to me that the game is series challenging than the usual fare these days.

So why can I never bring myself to finish playing a Zelda game? Several times when I play non-RPG games my hands start shaking and get really really cold, especially during boss fights. One time when I was trying to play Twilight Princess it got so bad that I had to ask my brother to step in and take the controller since my hands weren't cooperating. I never had this problem with other games. And I'm not really a fan of platformers. Those kinds of games require much more skill than I can muster.
That's... odd. Especially since Twilight Princess is an incredibly easy Zelda game (that being its one major flaw, in my opinion). Maybe action-adventure games just aren't your genre.

Zevox

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-21, 09:54 PM
Heh, yeah, that can happen in Fire Emblem. I actually like it, personally. It shows to me that the game is series challenging than the usual fare these days.
I mean, I'd start over. I was stubborn enough to try again and again until I succeeded, but after I stopped playing in favor of BioWare games I just haven't been able to pick it up. I've had this same issue with RTS's as well. After playing those other games I just can't bring myself to play an Age of Empires game again.

That's... odd. Especially since Twilight Princess is an incredibly easy Zelda game (that being its one major flaw, in my opinion). Maybe action-adventure games just aren't your genre.

Zevox
Is it because I'm afraid of losing?

warty goblin
2009-10-21, 10:05 PM
I mean, I'd start over. I was stubborn enough to try again and again until I succeeded, but after I stopped playing in favor of BioWare games I just haven't been able to pick it up. I've had this same issue with RTS's as well. After playing those other games I just can't bring myself to play an Age of Empires game again.

You seem to be a very story driven sort of gamer, so I could see how an RTS or similar could be problematic for you. Even when they have stories, to my mind their success can only really be measured by how interesting of strategic/tactical conditions they create, and for the most part the beating heart and soul of the game really has nothing to do with what X said to Y. It's about marching the little dudes into battle and doing your utmost to win. It doesn't require winning per say, merely that all effort is expended towards victory.

Now of course you can generate quite interesting stories by doing so, particularly if units are identified in some way. It doesn't take much, but who doesn't have fond memories of their Terran Battlecruiser that got 100+ kills? I do and I didn't even like Starcraft all that much.

Or possibly because the game held no appeal for you. I don't think I've ever had a game cause my hands to shake before, but I have certainly experienced them filling me with sufficient apathy for a battle I am unable to make myself continue. Bottom line, there's some motor fun to be had pressing buttons or waggling a remote and making things flash onscreen, but it's not going to keep most people entertained for hours.

Zevox
2009-10-21, 10:15 PM
I mean, I'd start over.
That's precisely what I meant by my comment. Starting a level over if a character dies is a very common thing for Fire Emblem players to do.

I honestly couldn't say. It's one possibility, and the first one that occurred to me, but I'm really mostly confused by the very concept. Hands shaking involuntarily and becoming cold, just from playing an action/adventure game like Zelda? I can't say I've ever heard of such a thing before.

Zevox

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-21, 10:26 PM
I mean, if I'm going to get an Xbox 360, shouldn't I be trying other genres?