PDA

View Full Version : The voices won't stop... but I kind of like it. [3.5, Feats]

strawberryman
2009-10-20, 06:54 PM
Insanity Feats
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/506/chiriua9wi8.jpg

Insanity feats can be taken when using the Sanity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm) system. For each feat with the descriptor the character takes, their minds move even closer to the brink of madness, and while the abilities granted by them may be impressive, there's always a risk.

[I]((Creators note: These are just a few feats myself, Shades of Gray, and Draken cooked up together.))

Eldritch Distortion [Insanity]
Prerequisites: Insight of Madness, any 2 other [Insanity] feats, Hide 12 ranks.
Benefit: As a swift action, by taking 1d8 sanity damage, the character can gain 5% concealment per [Insanity] feat (maximum 50%) they possess for 1 round.
Special: The character's maximum sanity decreases by 5 when you take this feat.

Eldritch Haste [Insanity]
Prerequisites: Eldritch Speed, any other [Insanity] feat.
Benefit: As a swift action, by taking 1d10 sanity damage, the character can gain an additional move action in a round. Or, they can take 2d10 to gain an additional standard action. This feat can be used once per encounter.
Special: The character's maximum sanity decreases by 5 when you take this feat.

Eldritch Speed [Insanity]
Prerequisites: Font of Insanity.
Benefit: As a swift action, by taking 1d8 sanity damage, the character can gain a 5' bonus to speed for every two [Insanity] feats they possess for 1 round.
Special: The character's maximum sanity decreases by 3 when you take this feat.

Font of Insanity [Insanity]
Benefit: By taking 1d6 points of sanity loss, the character can gain a bonus on any one roll equal to +1 for every [Insanity] feat they possess. This feat takes a swift action to activate, and the effect must be used within 1 round, or be wasted.

Gift of Insanity [Insanity]
Benefit: As a swift action, by taking 1d8 sanity damage, the character can gain a +4 Insanity bonus to any one Ability score for a number of rounds equal to the number of [Insanity] feats they possess.
Special: The character's maximum sanity decreases by 2 when you take this feat. When used to increase Wisdom, the character still uses their base Wisdom to determine when they would suffer Temporary Insanity.

Insane Endurance [Insanity]
Benefit: As a swift action, by taking 1d6 sanity damage, the character can gain 5 temporary hit points plus for every [Insanity] feat they possess for 1 minute.
Special: The character's maximum sanity decreases by 2 when you take this feat.

Insane Resistance [Insanity]
Prerequisite: Font of Insanity.
Benefit: As a swift action, by taking 1d8 sanity damage, the character gains resistance to an energy type equal to the number of [Insanity] feats they possess for 1 minute.

Insane Toughness [Insanity]
Prerequisites: Insane Endurance.
Benefit: As a swift action, by taking 1d8 sanity damage, the character can gain DR1/- per [Insanity] feat they possess for 1 round.
Special: The character's maximum sanity decreases by 4 when you take this feat.

Insight of Madness [Insanity]
Prerequisites: Font of Insanity, Dodge.
Benefit: As a swift action, by taking 1d8 sanity damage, the character can gain a Insight bonus to AC equal to the number of [Insanity] feats they possess for 1 minute.

Madness Adept [Insanity]
Prerequisites: Font of Insanity, initiator level 1.
Benefit: The character can recover an expended maneuver by taking 1 point of sanity damage per maneuver level, as a swift action.

Mad Concentration [Insanity]
Prerequisites: Font of Madness, Skill Focus(any).
Benefit: As a swift action, by taking 1d6 sanity damage, the character can gain a +1 bonus to skill checks per [Insanity] feat they possess for 1 minute.

Mad Magic [Insanity]
Prerequisites: Font of Insanity, caster level 1.
Benefit: The character can recover spell slots by taking 2 points of sanity damage per spell level, as a swift action. They can only recover a number of total spell levels per day equal to their caster level.

Mad Metamagic [Insanity]
Prerequisites: Font of Insanity, Mad Magic.
Benefit: By taking 5 sanity damage, the character can ignore one level of spell level adjustment when casting or preparing spells with metamagic feats.

Mad Mind [Insanity]
Prerequisites: Font of Insanity, manifester level 1.
Benefit: The character can recover power points by taking 1 point of sanity damage per power point, as a swift action. They can only recover a number of power points per day equal to double their manifester level.

Mad Spell [Insanity]
Prerequisites: Font of Insanity, any metamagic feat.
Benefit: This feat allows half of the damage dealt by a spell to instead deal sanity damage. For example, a mad lightning bolt cast by an 8th-level wizard deals 4d6 points of electricity damage, and 4d6 points of sanity damage. Creatures hit by a mad spell are entitled to a sanity check to halve the amount of sanity damage dealt. A mad spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Shelter in Insanity [Insanity]
Benefit: As a swift action, by taking 1d6 sanity damage, the character can gain a Insanity bonus to all of their saves equal to the number of [Insanity] feats they possess for 1 minute.

Debihuman
2009-10-20, 09:19 PM
Font of Insanity is nasty for the PCs. Taking a -3 to San to use this feat makes sense, but ouch!

I haven't used sanity rules much but these feats look good to me.

Debby

Zeta Kai
2009-10-20, 10:34 PM
This a re pretty cool, but I would imagine that a min-maxer would have a field day with these, abusing for all that they're worth. After all, if you don't care about staying sane, then the sky's the limit.

strawberryman
2009-10-20, 10:48 PM
Font of Insanity is nasty for the PCs. Taking a -3 to San to use this feat makes sense, but ouch!

I haven't used sanity rules much but these feats look good to me.

Debby

Considering that Maximum Sanity is (99 - (character's ranks in Knowledge(forbidden lore)), 2 or 3 for a honestly pretty good entry feat is reasonable, in my opinion. It does add up, but those are the risks you take for these feats.

This a re pretty cool, but I would imagine that a min-maxer would have a field day with these, abusing for all that they're worth. After all, if you don't care about staying sane, then the sky's the limit.

Fair enough, though I think any sane GM (amusing use) would really enforce the different forms of insanity if people wanted to use such feats, which, at its worst, can lead to total loss of character control. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm#permanentInsanity) On the other hand, said loss can be solved with certain spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm#restoringSanitywithMagic)...

Flickerdart
2009-10-21, 09:05 AM
Mad Metamagic has a prerequisite of "any metamagic spell". I believe you mean feat, not spell.

strawberryman
2009-10-21, 11:05 AM
Mad Metamagic has a prerequisite of "any metamagic spell". I believe you mean feat, not spell.

Woah, fixed. Thanks. :smallsigh:

Eloel
2009-10-21, 11:46 AM
Mad Spell can quickly get mad vs. the players, so use with caution?