PDA

View Full Version : Is phantom steed a warhorse?

Sploosh
2009-10-20, 07:29 PM
I saw a few posts from a few months ago here on the subject of whether phantom steed would require a ride check to handle in combat. They basically described it as being inconclusive and I am curious if there has been any wizard clarification since then and if not then perhaps we could see if there is any answer logical would fit best with.

I am wanting to say it is trained for battle since it is a summoned creature with the express purpose of being ridden by a wizard or sorceress (no class skills for a wizard) and there is already the standard mount option for any mundane uses and overland flight for other uses.

Siosilvar
2009-10-20, 07:31 PM
"It does not fight." Source: d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/phantomSteed.htm) or your Player's Handbook, 3.5

deuxhero
2009-10-20, 07:34 PM
I don't think it will be startled by combat because it has no mind (as far as I can tell) to startle, not because it has been trained to ignore battle. IMO "does not fight" means "can't/won't attack"

Sploosh
2009-10-20, 07:42 PM
I don't think it will be startled by combat because it has no mind (as far as I can tell) to startle, not because it has been trained to ignore battle. IMO "does not fight" means "can't/won't attack"

I am inclined to this train of thought but in the book of bad latin, it doesnt say that undead mounts (also unthinking) are immune to this as well as far as I could tell.

Thurbane
2009-10-20, 08:22 PM
I have a related question: if you have the Mounted Combat feat, can you use a Ride check to negate a hit against the Steed?

Gametime
2009-10-20, 11:06 PM
Seems reasonable to allow that. Some ride checks seem superfluous - since it can't be startled - but I see no reason why you couldn't handle it just like any other mount.

ericgrau
2009-10-21, 05:18 AM
It is certainly a mount and subject to the mounted combat feat, and being able to control it fits common sense too. It's only its potential to feel fear that's in question. I'd agree with the above. Especially since it's a quasi-real horse-like creature.