View Full Version : HSC in the playground

Yarram
2009-10-20, 08:21 PM
Hurray for the HSC!
I did an English exam about 1/2 an hour ago, and I think I went OK!

For those not in the know-how, the HSC is the last set of exams you do before graduating high-school in Australia, and they give you a rank you can use to get into university. I am elated, as English is my worst subject, and I think I went fairly well. Hopefully I'll get the UAI I'm looking for.

An IPT exam tomorrow, and another English Exam (The one I dread... 3 essays on 3 different texts) then Maths on monday, then finally a few more spaced out exams over the following weeks.

So does anyone else do the HSC this year?(:smallsigh:) How are you going so far?

loopy
2009-10-21, 05:54 AM
This is a rather niche topic mate. The HSC, as far as I am aware, is only in the NSW. So that further narrows the board down.

I did mine... 4 years ago, now. I went about as well as could be expected considering the effort I put in, which was no effort at all.

Violet Octopus
2009-10-21, 06:03 AM
5 years ago for me.

Regarding English, are you worried about not physically be able to write fast enough? Or just frustrated with the way the syllabus forces you to conform to certain buzzwords/overused examples?

wait, aren't you the first year with this newfangled UAI that only goes up to 99.95? And has a different name (that isn't TER)?

Serpentine
2009-10-21, 06:11 AM
Victoria has pretty much the same thing, except they call it the VCE. I assume most other states and territories have some equivalent...

Hope you did better in your English than I did :smallsmile: :smallsigh:

Anuan
2009-10-21, 06:18 AM
Hurray for the HSC!
I did an English exam about 1/2 an hour ago, and I think I went OK!

For those not in the know-how, the HSC is the last set of exams you do before graduating high-school in Australia, and they give you a rank you can use to get into university. I am elated, as English is my worst subject, and I think I went fairly well. Hopefully I'll get the UAI I'm looking for.

An IPT exam tomorrow, and another English Exam (The one I dread... 3 essays on 3 different texts) then Maths on monday, then finally a few more spaced out exams over the following weeks.

So does anyone else do the HSC this year?(:smallsigh:) How are you going so far?

Exact same, except my last is on next friday (Ext 1 English) and I also had Abstudies on Tuesday.

Are you also finding that the Trials were a whole heap harder than the HSC Exams so far?

horngeek
2009-10-21, 06:21 AM
I'm doing it... reason I've stopped posting.

My first Eng exam went well...

now I just have all the others to do.

@^: YES. You're completely right, the HSC is much easier than the Trials were.

loopy
2009-10-21, 07:46 AM
5 years ago for me.

Regarding English, are you worried about not physically be able to write fast enough? Or just frustrated with the way the syllabus forces you to conform to certain buzzwords/overused examples?

wait, aren't you the first year with this newfangled UAI that only goes up to 99.95? And has a different name (that isn't TER)?

This text contains EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE EMOTIVE LANGUAGE and EMOTIVE LANGUAGE.:smalltongue:

But as far as writing speed was concerned, I was allowed to use a laptop. The brilliant markers also managed to lose my Software Design exam (which meant I got my assessment average, which boosted my mark about 70 points, considering I'd only completed the multiple choice section of the paper, hahaha). :smallbiggrin:

toasty
2009-10-21, 07:51 AM
*random fact*

They have HSC here... for those who receive their education in Bangla (a minority recieve it in English) the HSC is the final exam they take in Secondary School.

Cyrion
2009-10-21, 09:31 AM
I read the thread topic and wondered why there was a thread on Human Subject Committees (the organizations at colleges, universities, hospitals, etc. that oversee research involving human subjects to make sure that it's ethical). Talk about a niche group on the boards!

I wonder if it's a group of one, with me the only one on an HSC, or are there others out there?

Anuan
2009-10-22, 12:09 AM
THREE OF SIX DOWN WOOOOOOO EVEN THOUGH IPT PRACTICALLY KILLED ME.

Blargh, English paper 2 tomorrow.

Dexam
2009-10-22, 12:25 AM
I'm just wondering... as someone who completed their HSC-equivalent (and subsequent tertiary studies Bachelor's degree) many, many moons ago... am I allowed to point and laugh in a friendly-yet-slightly-derisive manner at those currently undergoing their exams? :smallconfused:

I mean, surely by now I've earned the right to do so? :smalltongue:

Yarram
2009-10-22, 02:02 AM
THREE OF SIX DOWN WOOOOOOO EVEN THOUGH IPT PRACTICALLY KILLED ME.

Blargh, English paper 2 tomorrow.

I feel you! How terrible was the IPT exam? Could they have been any more ambiguous when they wrote it?

English paper 2... GRAAAAH! So much anger.

@Violet: Yeah, it's the writing speed that kills me. I have all this stuff that I need to spew out, but not enough time to do it.
I only use 1/2 my quotes before I ran out of time on my first English Essay.

Solaris
2009-10-22, 02:22 AM
I'm just wondering... as someone who completed their HSC-equivalent (and subsequent tertiary studies Bachelor's degree) many, many moons ago... am I allowed to point and laugh in a friendly-yet-slightly-derisive manner at those currently undergoing their exams? :smallconfused:

I mean, surely by now I've earned the right to do so? :smalltongue:

No, I think the kids don't like it when us old-timers make fun of 'em.

Anuan
2009-10-22, 02:46 AM
I feel you! How terrible was the IPT exam? Could they have been any more ambiguous when they wrote it?

English paper 2... GRAAAAH! So much anger.

@Violet: Yeah, it's the writing speed that kills me. I have all this stuff that I need to spew out, but not enough time to do it.
I only use 1/2 my quotes before I ran out of time on my first English Essay.

This usually happens to me but I got everything out on paper one! <3
Even though I only got half as much as other people...But still!

Yarram
2009-10-22, 07:52 PM
I have defeated English! MWHAHAAHAHAHAHH!!!!

But it was a Pyrrhic victory.:smallfrown: I'm not to fond of English. No no no...
:smallsmile: Maths on Tuesday though. Yay!

Anuan
2009-10-22, 08:19 PM
English paper two destroyed me. Have done terribly.

Hello, little bottle of pills.
No. Wait. Mustn't kill self. Am getting pizza for dinner.