PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Boxer

DM_of_the_Lazy
2009-10-20, 08:25 PM
I decided to put together a 20 level Boxer class for version 3.5, It is a crossbreed between a Monk and a Fighter, and any input would be greatly appreciated. Does everything make sense? Is it too OP or too weak?
Thanks for the help.

THE BOXER

{table=head]Level|B.A.B.|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Full Combo|Damage|AC Bonus|Speed Bonus

1|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|
Unarmed Strike, Full Combo|
-1/-1|
1d6|
+0|
+0|

2|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|
Evasion|
+0/+0|
1d6|
+0|
+0|

3|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|
In or Out? I|
+1/+1|
1d6|
+0|
+5|

4|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|
Magic Fists|
+2/+2|
1d8|
+0|
+5|

5|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1||
+4/+4|
1d8|
+1|
+5|

6|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|
1 - 2 Combo|
+5/+5/+0|
1d8|
+1|
+10|

7|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|
Cut Man|
+6/+6/+1|
1d8|
+1|
+10|

8|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|
In or Out? II|
+7/+7/+2|
1d10|
+1|
+10|

9|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3|
Improved Evasion|
+9/+9/+4|
1d10|
+1|
+15|

10|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|
DR 2 / --|
+10/+10/+5|
1d10|
+2|
+15|

11|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3||
+11/+11/+11/+6/+1|
1d10|
+2|
+15|

12|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4||
+12/+12/+12/+7/+2|
2d6|
+2|
+20|

13|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4|
In or Out? III|
+13/+13/+13/+8/+3|
2d6|
+2|
+20|

14|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4||
+14/+14/+14/+9/+4|
2d6|
+2|
+20|

15|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5||
+15/+15/+15/+10/+5|
2d6|
+3|
+25|

16|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|
Adamantine Fists|
+16/+16/+16/+11/+6/+1|
2d8|
+3|
+25|

17|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|
Boxer's Physique|
+17/+17/+17/+12/+7/+2|
2d8|
+3|
+25|

18|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|
In or Out? IV|
+18/+18/+18/+13/+8/+3|
2d8|
+3|
+30|

19|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6||
+19/+19/+19/+14/+9/+4|
2d8|
+3|
+30|

20|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|
DR 5 / --|
+20/+20/+20/+15/+10/+5|
2d10|
+4|
+30|

[/table]

HD: d8
Class Skills: Balance, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Spot, Swim
Skill Points at First Level: (2 + Int Mod) x 4
Skill Points at each additional Level: 2 + Int Mod
Weapon and Armor Proficiencey: A Boxer is proficient with his Fists and any weapon that can be wielded as a fist, such as gauntlets, brass knuckles, etc. A Boxer is not proficient with any armor or shields, when wearing armor, wielding a shield or carrying a medium or heavy load, the Boxer loses his AC bonus, as well as his speed bonus and Full Combo abilities.
AC Bonus (EX): A Boxer is highly trained at dodging blows, and he has a sizth sense that lets him avoid even unanticipated attacks. When unarmored, and unencumbered, the Boxer adds his Wisdom Modifier (if any) to his AC.
The Boxer also gets an additional bonus to AC starting with +1 at Level 5, this bunus represents the Boxer's footwork and therefore is only applied during a battle (or any time the Boxer announces he is using footwork), this bonus does not apply when the Boxer is Flatfooted or restricted.
Full Combo (EX): As Flurry of Blows (EX) the Monk ability.
Unarmed Strike: As Unarmed Strike the Monk ability.
Evasion (EX): As Evasion (EX) the Monk ability.
In or Out? I: At 3rd Level a Boxer chooses if he wants to be an In Boxer or an Out Boxer, whichever he chooses at Level 3 will affect what abilities he gains in later Levels.
If the Boxer chooses to be an In Boxer he learns the proper way to clinch and to get out of a clinch, he gains the Feat Improved Grapple even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
If the Boxer chooses to be an Out Boxer he learns the proper way to move into and out of a battle, he gains the Feat Spring Attack even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
Speed Bonus (EX): At 3rd Level a Boxer's road work starts to pay off, he is now able to move faster than before.
Magic Fists (SU): A Boxer's Fists are now considered Magic for the purposes of determining damage reduction.
1 - 2 Combo (EX):When a Boxer reaches 6th Level he now understands how to use the 1 - 2 combo properly, whenever he is allowed a single standard attack he may make a 1 - 2 combo attack, the Boxer gains the benefits of the Dual Strike Feat even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
Cut Man (SU): A Boxer gains the ability to heal himself during a battle, this ability functions in the same way as the Monk ability, Wholness of Body (SU).
In or Out? II: If the Boxer chose to be an In Boxer he now gains a powerful Uppercut Punch, the Uppercut breaks his opponents guard, denying him any shield bonus he might have. The Uppercut is a standard action that adds 1.5x the Boxer's Str Mod to the damage roll, rather than the normal 1x Str Mod to damage. This move may not be combine with the 1 - 2 combo.
If the Boxer chose to be an Out Boxer he now gains the ability to use the Flicker Jab, the Flicker is a quick jab that is used to break the opponent's guard, the Flicker is a standard action and causes the opponent to become Flatfooted for 1d3 rounds. This move may not be combine with the 1 - 2 combo.
Improved Evasion (EX): As Improved Evasion (EX) the Monk ability.
Damage Reduction: At 10th Level the Boxer's body has become tough over the course of his fights and he now has DR 2 / --.
In or Out? III: If the Boxer chose to be an In Boxer he learns to use the Peek-a-Boo Style, while fighting defensivly he gains a +3 Shield bonus, if he is in full defense than the Shield bonus increases to +5.
If the Boxer chose to be an Out Boxer he gains an effective Counter PUnch, while fighting defensivly or in Full defense the Boxer may make an attack of opportunity on an opponent that has ust attacked him, before the damage is rolled. The Counter Punch does 1.5x the Boxer's Str Mod when calculating damage, rather than the normal 1x Str Mod. This move may not be combine with the 1 - 2 combo.
Adamantine Fists (SU): A Boxer's Fists are now considered Adamantine for the purposes of determining damage reduction and damage to items.
Boxer's Physique (SU): As a Boxer ages the ability score changes are backwards, the increases to Int, Wis, and Cha become decreases while the decreases to Str, Dex, and Con becomre increases.
In or Out? IV: If the Boxer chose to be an In Boxer he now gains an improved Uppercut, as a Full Round action the Boxer may make an Uppercut and follow through with a 1 - 2 combo, the Opponent is still denied any shield bonus during the attacks from the 1 - 2 combo. After a successful Improved Uppercut the opponent must make a Fort save (DC 10 + the Boxer's Str Mod) or become stunned for 1 round. The Uppercut still does 1.5x the Boxer's Str Mod, but this increase in damage does not apply to the attacks from the 1 - 2 combo.
If the Boxer chose to be an Out Boxer he now gains an Improved Flicker Jab, as a Full Round action the Boxer may make a Flicker Jab and follow through with a 1 - 2 combo, the Opponent is considered Flatfooted during the attacks from the 1 - 2 combo. The Flatfoot no longer remains after the round is over, unless the Boxer chose to use the Flicker Jab rather than the Improved Flicker Jab.
Damage Reduction: At 20th Level the Boxer's body has become even more tough and resiliant giving him DR 5 / --.

There are some things I already think may be too OP and some other things that may be too weak, so I would like to see what other people think about it.
Thanks again for any help.

Eldariel
2009-10-20, 08:42 PM
So it's basically a Monk-rewrite? I suggest rewriting the Unarmed Strike so it can only be done with his hands; Monk's UA Strike can be done with any part of the body, leading to lots of kicks, headbutts and such while wielding weapons.

I'd personally probably just give him two Slam-attacks with special case for iteratives (or just provide him with more attacks with the "combo" class feature as you level-up, or give him Rapid Strike-feats as bonus).

Also, you definitely need to give him capstone named "Time to get paid!" (Maybe after a sufficient number of successful hits or HP lost!) that involves a combo on the move with a gigaton punch finisher. Thinking of it, I think you should give the class a bit more versatility overall; give him the ability to make big punches while giving up some iteratives, small punches faster and so on.

Like, something that allows you to make a "two-handed punch" (that is, 1½ time Str to damage and 2xPA) by giving up the "combo" or iteratives, and thus giving him a few different attacks. Then maybe toss him some status-effects to inflict with sufficiently strong strikes like maybe Daze with Str-based save (maybe when using the Two-Handed Punch?) or some such? Overall, I'd give him a bit more versatility and class features on all levels.

And damnit, Wis to AC doesn't fit my image of a boxer at all. They don't seem as much like fighters on instinct as guys who know where opponent hits next and block accordingly or dodge or some such.

Maybe give him his attack stat to AC (to represent blocking) or his Int (to represent knowing where the opponent's next hit comes from).

Really, it looks a bit underpowered right now. Basically a full BAB Monk with the chaff cut out. Also, some of the abilities (Cut Man, Boxer's Physique) simply just make little sense. I'm also very worried about Boxer's Physique; being able to get +6 to Str, Dex & Con by being Venerable seems kinda bonkers.

Oh yeah, toss him a couple of bonus feats; maybe one per 4 levels or so. You took those away without giving anything back.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-20, 08:46 PM
I'd need to look closer at it later, as I'm going to bed now, but it doesn't look bad. Some dead-ish levels, and it could use a better capstone than just "ph, your DR, unarmed damage, and AC increase".

Also:
Huge!

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/punchout/images/d/d7/Little_Mac.jpg

DM_of_the_Lazy
2009-10-20, 09:12 PM
So it's basically a Monk-rewrite? I suggest rewriting the Unarmed Strike so it can only be done with his hands; Monk's UA Strike can be done with any part of the body, leading to lots of kicks, headbutts and such while wielding weapons.

I agree, I had not thought of that, I will change that at some point soon.

Like, something that allows you to make a "two-handed punch" (that is, 1½ time Str to damage and 2xPA) by giving up the "combo" or iteratives, and thus giving him a few different attacks. Then maybe toss him some status-effects to inflict with sufficiently strong strikes like maybe Daze with Str-based save (maybe when using the Two-Handed Punch?) or some such? Overall, I'd give him a bit more versatility and class features on all levels.

I did give him something like that, I gave him the Uppercut if you go with the In Boxer style, maybe thats not enough but how would you change that part then?

And damnit, Wis to AC doesn't fit my image of a boxer at all. They don't seem as much like fighters on instinct as guys who know where opponent hits next and block accordingly or dodge or some such.

Maybe give him his attack stat to AC (to represent blocking) or his Int (to represent knowing where the opponent's next hit comes from).

I agree that Wis to AC does seem strange, but the way I thought about it was after fighting you will come to subconciously know where to protect and what to anticipate from an opponent, and because of the multiple headblows that a Boxer takes they become punch drunk and don't think very straight so I dont think that Int is a good one to add to AC, though the attack bonus to AC to represent blocking is something that I had not thought of.

I'm also very worried about Boxer's Physique; being able to get +6 to Str, Dex & Con by being Venerable seems kinda bonkers.

I agree completely, thats why I put this up here lol, the objective is to be that the Boxer should lose Int Wis and Cha due to being beaten in the head a lot, but shouldn't lose Str, Dex or Con, just wasnt sure what exactly to do with it.

waterpenguin43
2009-10-20, 09:15 PM
'tis good class, but I don't like punchy people very much.
Edit: Wait, What? I don't think they should add wisdom to AC, it's not very fitting, I think monks get it because of supernatural awareness, and I don't think that really fits these guys.