PDA

View Full Version : Planning a Mutants and Masterminds Game

Rogue 7
2009-10-20, 08:54 PM
So I've got an idea for a Persona game using the Mutants and Masterminds rules (I'll spare anyone who wants to play the actual plot), and I was wondering if people had advice for running it, both on the boards here and for a oneshot in a couple weeks.

infinitypanda
2009-10-20, 09:39 PM
Sit all the players down and make characters together. If a build worries you, don't be afraid to talk to the PC about it, or perhaps even ban a certain skill if it feels overpowering (for instance, I let a PC have either Invisibility or Silence, but not both, even though he had the points). Apart from that, not much really.

Dragonmuncher
2009-10-20, 10:01 PM
I always forget- do they BECOME the Personas, or do they just summon them briefly for a single attack?

Anyway, ditto about keeping an eye on your players. M&M is a great system, and very flexible, but it does have a few exploitables for optimizers, and a few traps for newbies. I haven't played in forever, but... hm, I think I can remember a few things.

Arrays can be scary-good.

It often makes more sense to get a Power Stunt rather than a whole new power.

Er... that's about all I've got. I know there's a lot more, but I'll let someone more experienced say it.

kpenguin
2009-10-20, 10:02 PM
Don't be afraid to do stuff that gives them hero points, like GM fiating or bringing in Complications.

Haven
2009-10-20, 10:32 PM
IMO Arrays aren't really as great as they seem on first glance: a few is nice, but usually the points would be better spent on something else that benefits you all the time.

But then again, if you're trying to min-max M&M you're doin it wrong.

kpenguin
2009-10-20, 10:34 PM
But then again, if you're trying to min-max M&M you're doin it wrong.

QF - friggin' - T

Rogue 7
2009-10-20, 10:46 PM
It'll be handy that I'll have pregen'd characters for the oneshot- there simply isn't enough time otherwise.

kpenguin
2009-10-22, 10:43 PM
I always have extra pregenerated characters in case someone new wants to try.

Flayerman
2009-10-23, 04:59 AM
Remember not to fall into the common trap of "Alternate Form is Persona". The Persona's benefits are constant; attacks that come from the Persona are brief, one-hit things that only stay up for an instant.

A Persona is just a descriptor for the mechanics that already exist.