PDA

View Full Version : First Homebrew Attempt: 0 LA Pixie

Eldrys
2009-10-20, 10:20 PM
So this is a race for an upcoming campaign, and it is my first time as DM. My sister wants to be a pixie, but we are starting at level 1. So here is my attempt at a lower LA pixie.

So here it goes.:smalleek:

Pixie

+2 Cha +2 Dex -2 Str -2 Con
Small size
A Pixies base land speed is 20', see wings

Wings (Ex):A Pixie can use their wings to aid their jumps (granting a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks) and to glide. Those with 6 HD or more can use their wings to fly.

Gliding: A Pixie can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall from any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Pixie can glide at a speed of 30 feet with average maneuverability. Even if a Pixies maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A pixie can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load.
If a Pixie becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl, and powerful ligaments stiffen them. The Pixie descends slowly in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter the actual distance of the fall.

Flight: When a Pixie reaches 6 HD, she gains a fly speed of 30 feet with average maneuverability. A Pixie can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted.

A Pixie can safely fly for a number of consecutive rounds equal to her Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). She can double this length of flight but is fatigued by such exertion. The Pixie is likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because a Pixie can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, she can remain aloft for extended periods, even if she can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued.

When she reaches 12 HD, a Pixie has enough stamina and prowess to fly without tiring. She can fly at a speed of 30 feet (average maneuverability) with no more exertion than walking or running.

A Pixie with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the Pixie must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Pixie can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon. If the dive attack hits, it deals double damage.

A Pixie with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line. (Go Copy and Paste:smallbiggrin:)
Low-Light Vision
Spell-Like abilities: 1/day, Dancing Lights, Ghost sound
Favored Class: Sorcerer

Solaris
2009-10-20, 10:34 PM
That seems to be fairly balanced to me.

Zeta Kai
2009-10-20, 10:39 PM
I'd still say that it's a +1, albeit a kinda weak one. It's a tough call. The SLAs push it over the top. To stay truly LA0, I'd simplify the ability mods (down to only 1 plus & 1 minus), & remove one of the SLAs (or at least postpone it until 3HD or so).

Zaydos
2009-10-20, 10:49 PM
I'd say it looks pretty good.

Compare to halfling:

Lose:
-2 Con
+1 to all saves
10-ft of land movement
Various skill bonuses
Bonus with thrown weapons

Gain:
+2 Cha
Raptoran-esque glide ability
2 cantrips usable 1/day each.

Or compare to Raptoran:

Lose:
10-ft of movement
worse glide
+1 to CL with air spells
Weapon familiarity
minor skill bonuses
-2 Str and Con

Gain:
+2 Dex and Cha
Small Size
2 1/day cantrips.

Honestly speaking the cantrips are eh. I might play one as a warlock or sorcerer over a halfling, but that Con penalty hurts. The cantrips add flavor and can be useful (Ghost Sound is extremely useful at low levels) but won't break anything. For anything but warlock and sorcerer I think the Cha penalty would scare me back to halfling (maybe beguiler or dread necromancer it wouldn't). Their flight ability doesn't come in till they can already use flight as sorcerer or warlock which means it's not better on those builds than a bonus feat, and it's the stat mods and size that would encourage it.

All in all I'd say it's fairly balanced.

Eldrys
2009-10-21, 08:16 AM
so does anyone have suggestions on the favored class? I was thinking sorcerer for the charisma bonus, and rouge because it just seems to fit. any suggestions?

Zaydos
2009-10-21, 08:24 AM
While either would work, I'd say sorcerer; pixies are a magical race with a tendency towards illusion and enchantment.

Jogi
2009-10-21, 08:30 AM
so does anyone have suggestions on the favored class? I was thinking sorcerer for the charisma bonus, and rouge because it just seems to fit. any suggestions?

I'd vote for sorcerer. Althought I don't really see a Pixie casting a fireball at you :smallcool:. If they actually had Wis bonus, then I'd say Druid or even Ranger.

:elan: oooh, all hail the mighty pixie squad of rangers, the deadliest in the woods.

Zaydos
2009-10-21, 09:59 AM
If you have access to the book I'd say Warlock (Complete Arcane), they can either draw power from demons (not appropriate) or fey (very appropriate). They get an at will blaster power and can get at will invisibility.

Ozymandias9
2009-10-21, 10:37 AM
Looks generally balanced against other LA 0 races.

Keep in mind, however, that the base player races have a conspicuous absence of stat bonuses to the abilities that are required for spell-casting. Thus, this will be a ever so slightly overpowered option if there aren't other similar LA 0 races with such bonuses in addition to the base races. But it would mostly effect Sorcerer or Bard, which are unlikely to be high on the list of CharOp choices anyways.

merfolkotpt
2009-10-21, 10:40 AM
I would totally go for Beguiler if you want the spontaneous spell casting, but you also want to maintain the pixie style magic. It is in PHB II, and is a really fun class, especially for a skill monkey, though you do lose out because the CHA bonus isn't as big a deal (though you can be a diplomancer pretty easily as a beguiler so 50/50) since they are int based spontaneous caster, which is awesome.

Zovc
2009-10-21, 10:45 AM
I generally picture Pixies as smaller than small (in other words, tiny or smaller), but you'd probably have trouble making a tiny la +0 race.

Why not Bard as a favored class?

deuxhero
2009-10-21, 11:04 AM
I'd go with "Who cares, who even plays with that silly rule of XP penalties for multiclassing?" as the favored class.