PDA

View Full Version : Half-gnome or half-dwarves?

gallagher
2009-10-20, 10:45 PM
are there half gnomes, half dwarves, or other half-creatures not in the phb? also, any fun creatures you can play as, especially for a ranger?

Bibliomancer
2009-10-20, 10:48 PM
are there half gnomes, half dwarves, or other half-creatures not in the phb? also, any fun creatures you can play as, especially for a ranger?

Half-gnome, half what?

There are supplement books going over the various possibilities for the listed halves (half elf, half orc, half orc, half dwarf, etc.) but I don't think that there are supplements for half-gnomes or half-dwarfs.

Whisper gnomes are small but have a 30 feet move speed, and a +4 racial bonuses to hide and move silently checks, making them a strong candidate for ranger (+4 hide and +2 move silently relative to halfling, small bonuses to attack and AC). They're listed in Races of Stone.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-10-20, 11:24 PM
the midnight campaign setting has a few interesting half n halfs with non-humans.

Elf/halfling: Elfling (im not even joking)
dwarf/orc: Dworg
Gnome/Dwarf: Dwero (i think i'm spelling that wrong)

All are playable with no level adjust. I think there might be a half Giant/ half orc too. . .

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-20, 11:31 PM
The Mul is a half-dwarf from Dark Sun; it appeared in the "2e campaign settings" issue of dragon, and is on Athas.org.

BobVosh
2009-10-20, 11:37 PM
I believe it was Book of Erotic Fantasies that said what could reproduce with what.

Dragons are the ones who are "Whatever, I do what I want."

Humans are a distant second if I remember correctly.

Magnor Criol
2009-10-21, 12:07 AM
Green Ronin Press' "Bastards And Bloodline: A Guidebook to Half-Breeds" has some rules for creating your own breeds.

Alternately, just wing it yourself. Half-elves have basically all the elf bonuses, but halved; so do the same with half-gnomes and half dwarves. +1 to saves vs illusions, +1 to listen and craft (alchemy) checks, et cetera thrown on top of a human's medium size and maybe the skill point bonus (but not the feat bonus).

You're going to have to make judgement calls on the non-quantifiable things like the gnome's SLAs, though, and keep in mind you'll probably end up with a fairly weak race.

Bogardan_Mage
2009-10-21, 01:57 AM
The real question is, are there stats for a half-halfling? And is it called a quarterling?

Malacode
2009-10-21, 02:06 AM
Wait... Wouldn't a half-human-half-halfling be a three-quarter-ling, not just a quarterling?

Ravens_cry
2009-10-21, 02:21 AM
The real question is, are there stats for a half-halfling? And is it called a quarterling?
Half what else though? Unless we are going for non-Core races, the only ones I imagine it being possible would be an gnome, or a really, really, short elf. Anything bigger and. . .ouch, just ouch. Either that or the worlds easiest delivery.
This being the Internet, it has been home-brewed. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10670)

Rainbownaga
2009-10-21, 02:51 AM
I guess it depends on the individual in question. From the stuff my... uh... friend has seen on the internet... Yeah, I really don't want to finish that sentence

BooNL
2009-10-21, 05:26 AM
Half what else though? Unless we are going for non-Core races, the only ones I imagine it being possible would be an gnome, or a really, really, short elf. Anything bigger and. . .ouch, just ouch. Either that or the worlds easiest delivery.
This being the Internet, it has been home-brewed. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10670)

One word: centaurs...

Grumman
2009-10-21, 06:06 AM
No, just... no.

Although, I suppose the Whisper Gnome would make a pretty good representation of a half-gnome, half-halfling.

arguskos
2009-10-21, 06:10 AM
Half-gnomes are easy. Cut a gnome in half. Ta-da! You have two half-gnomes, and everyone wins!

starwoof
2009-10-21, 06:13 AM
Wait... Wouldn't a half-human-half-halfling be a three-quarter-ling, not just a quarterling?

No, because it's already half ling.:smallamused:

Tiki Snakes
2009-10-21, 08:00 AM
Half-Dwarf, Half Halfling.

It's called a 'Gnome'. ;)

Hal
2009-10-21, 11:22 AM
When they make races for any of these books, they ought to include with each race the stats for a half-whatever. Then you just combine the two to make your half-breed. Easy. Even if it's just, "You get one racial perk and half the stat bonus," it would make this much easier.

Hashmir
2009-10-21, 11:36 AM
When they make races for any of these books, they ought to include with each race the stats for a half-whatever. Then you just combine the two to make your half-breed. Easy. Even if it's just, "You get one racial perk and half the stat bonus," it would make this much easier.

Maybe we should do that right here. Modular races! Just grab your favorite two and go!