PDA

View Full Version : KoToR about Revan spoiler

Akisa
2009-10-20, 11:04 PM
Did you know about Revan's condition on your first play through?

Mewtarthio
2009-10-20, 11:24 PM
That's a bit of a vague question. Prior to the game's release, the truth about Revan was known only to a select few BioWare and LucasArts employees.

Akisa
2009-10-20, 11:37 PM
prior to the reaching of the Leviathan (sp?)

blueblade
2009-10-21, 01:38 AM
I had no idea till I got on the ship, then the clues start dripping in. Thought it was fairly well done tbh.

Brother Oni
2009-10-21, 01:54 AM
It's more obvious if you're a female character as all the flashbacks involving Revan show Revan to have a distinctly feminine form if you look carefully.

karnokoto
2009-10-21, 02:28 AM
Aright. I've beaten KotoR (damn neutral ending!) and am playing KotoR II right now (well, figuratively) and this is all sounding like moonspeak to me. I know that in KotoR I the character you play is Revan...is this all stuff for II? Cuz I've only started it (still on Telos) D:

Athaniar
2009-10-21, 02:33 AM
Aright. I've beaten KotoR (damn neutral ending!) and am playing KotoR II right now (well, figuratively) and this is all sounding like moonspeak to me. I know that in KotoR I the character you play is Revan...is this all stuff for II? Cuz I've only started it (still on Telos) D:

This thread is asking if you knew that your character was Revan in the original game before it was "officially" revealed to you. At least, that's what I assume it's asking...

It was a long time since I played the game for the first time, but I don't think I knew.

Trazoi
2009-10-21, 02:44 AM
Heck if I know if spoiler tags are appropriate for this. Given it's in the title, I guess not. :smallwink:

I strongly suspected the player character was Revan from Dantooine onwards. I remember the clue that triggered it was the movie sequence of Revan and Malak discovering the Dantooine temple. I remember my chain of thought went along the lines of "So there's Revan again. He's being all dark and mysterious compared to Malak. He's clearly got some kind of secret. Hang on.. "he?" What gender is Revan anyway? They're really leaving this character open to interpretation." That's how it clicked that Revan's Big Reveal was going to be a big plot point at some stage, and my first guess as to what it would be turned out to be correct.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-10-21, 03:53 AM
It's more obvious if you're a female character as all the flashbacks involving Revan show Revan to have a distinctly feminine form if you look carefully.

Not true actually. The only time the female Revan appearance appears is when you put on Revan's Robes from the Star Forge.

I knew because Wikipedia spoiled me by saying that Revan's gender was player determinable, which kind of made it obvious.

Domochevsky
2009-10-21, 04:29 AM
Not true actually. The only time the female Revan appearance appears is when you put on Revan's Robes from the Star Forge.

Very true actually. I pretty much immediately knew/suspected the player character was Revan when i saw "him", as he had a kinda female shape and the player's ponytail was clipping through "his" helmet.

Foiled by the engine. :smallsigh:

Violet Octopus
2009-10-21, 05:02 AM
I didn't know, though I had to stop playing at the end of Taris (super slow computer meant the starship dogfighting bit was about a frame/second, hence impossible).

Saw the spoiler either through TVTropes or Wookieepedia, but I had a feeling of deja vu, so I think I saw it before I played the game and forgot.

Ponytail clipping is pretty funny.

Garion
2009-10-21, 05:09 AM
I guess I discovered the truth when your group gets captured and Carth's enemy (can't remember his name, it's been a long time since i finished these games) acts so weirdly around you.

Too bad they decided to turn KOTOR3 into a MMO :(

Green Bean
2009-10-21, 05:33 AM
I actually played KOTOR2 first, so it wasn't really a surprise for me.

Ashen Lilies
2009-10-21, 05:36 AM

Yeah. This. I still don't have KotOR I, I just played through once on my friend's copy.

Tom_Violence
2009-10-21, 06:17 AM
Heck if I know if spoiler tags are appropriate for this. Given it's in the title, I guess not. :smallwink:

I strongly suspected the player character was Revan from Dantooine onwards. I remember the clue that triggered it was the movie sequence of Revan and Malak discovering the Dantooine temple. I remember my chain of thought went along the lines of "So there's Revan again. He's being all dark and mysterious compared to Malak. He's clearly got some kind of secret. Hang on.. "he?" What gender is Revan anyway? They're really leaving this character open to interpretation." That's how it clicked that Revan's Big Reveal was going to be a big plot point at some stage, and my first guess as to what it would be turned out to be correct.

Yeah, that was pretty much how it happened for me too. A non-talking, faceless character is, sadly, a dead giveaway. Isn't it tragic when what is touted as one of the best reveals in gaming history (for some reason) is ruined because we're all too good at playing games and thinking in straight lines. :smallwink:

One Step Two
2009-10-21, 06:42 AM
I caught on that something was up from the first "nightmare" when you crash landed on the planet surface. It more or less was confirmed the moment we reached dantooine cause of the "Amazing progress" bit and the "convenient echos" in the Force showing you exactly what Revan did, more or less screamed flashback.

I still thought it was an awesome plot twist though, I never let my high ranks in Knowledge (Plot) ruin a story for me, because I love watching the character reactions to the reveal, and KoTOR had awesome character actors if nothing else.

shadow_archmagi
2009-10-21, 07:24 AM
"So, there's this person and you don't know who they are-"
"Oh so it's me"
"What? Why would you think tha-"
"It is always me."
"No, it isn't you!"
"Oh. Then it's my FATHER, I take it?"

karnokoto
2009-10-21, 07:51 AM
"So, there's this person and you don't know who they are-"
"Oh so it's me"
"What? Why would you think tha-"
"It is always me."
"No, it isn't you!"
"Oh. Then it's my FATHER, I take it?"

Too much TVTropes for you ;)

It may have been that I was just too caught up in the game, or maybe it was that I tended to play in the wee hours of the morn, or maybe I'm just slow, but I didnt catch on that I was Revan until near the end.

Lost Demiurge
2009-10-21, 08:57 AM
I didn't know, the first time around.

It was AWESOME, when I found out. (I was spoiled on it before the Leviathan, but that was fine. Still floored me.)

Akisa
2009-10-21, 12:25 PM

So did I, but it suprised me on Kotor 1...

warty goblin
2009-10-21, 02:19 PM
Yeah, that was pretty much how it happened for me too. A non-talking, faceless character is, sadly, a dead giveaway.

Wait, you turn out to be Gordon Freeman?

One Step Two
2009-10-21, 02:32 PM

And then it turns out you're actually both Tyler Durden. :smallwink:

PumpkinEater
2009-10-21, 04:23 PM
I had no idea even AFTER they showed Revan take off his mask. Only until the people started talking again did I realise that the main character was Revan.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-21, 04:33 PM
I knew before, and that was only because I only played KOTOR for the first time so it was pretty much a matter of when.

As far as revelations go... (KOTOR2 spoilers)
...the one in KOTOR 2 is rather interesting, as Kreia plays with the idea of there being some big revelation that explains everything

And who is disappointed with BioWare deciding to give us a MMO rather than KOTOR 3. The MMO sure looks nice and exciting, but I WANT MORE KOTOR!

Joran
2009-10-21, 04:39 PM
I'm not ashamed to say I've fallen for both of the major Bioware twists: both KotOR and

Jade Empire. I had an unsettled feeling about the whole thing and I knew something was wrong, but when my "master" punched me straight in the chest, all I could think was "Wow, I got schooled."

Guancyto
2009-10-21, 04:41 PM
Just played it recently. Is it just me or does every line of dialogue for a good 20 minutes after the reveal have the word "Revan" or "you are Revan" in it?

Also, had no idea. Was playing through the game too fast the first time to speculate properly, so it was great.

Weird how you can tell every Tom, **** and Harry afterward though.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-21, 04:46 PM
BTW the KOTOR 2 retsoration mod (http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/KOTOR_2_Restoration_Mod_127166.asp) is out.

Blayze
2009-10-21, 06:39 PM
I'm afraid I wasn't fooled at all, neither by KotOR nor by Jade Empire. I guess I was just too Genre Savvy (Hopefully not Wrong Genre Savvy) for those games. As far as I remember, Jade Empire virtually SCREAMED its 'secret' at you the first time that 'spirit' appeared.

Trazoi
2009-10-21, 07:04 PM
I'm afraid I wasn't fooled at all, neither by KotOR nor by Jade Empire. I guess I was just too Genre Savvy (Hopefully not Wrong Genre Savvy) for those games. As far as I remember, Jade Empire virtually SCREAMED its 'secret' at you the first time that 'spirit' appeared.
Plus as a Bioware RPG, there was an expectation that there had to be The Big Twist (TM) at about the 2/3 to 3/4 point. :smallwink: In Jade Empire I pretty much was expecting the twist at the point it happened, but I wasn't expecting the end result of that scene and the subsequent part.

At least the Bioware RPGs aren't as bad at the predictability as Japanese RPGs. I haven't even played that many of those, but I can see future developments coming for miles. It's a big surprise for me if that white haired pretty boy doesn't turn out to be an antagonist, or if that chancellor or high priest doesn't turn out to be corrupt and evil.

Blayze
2009-10-21, 07:36 PM
That does it. NaNo's getting a good chancellor' whose economic, cultural and social policies and reforms are intelligent, logical and actually help counter the growing peasant rebellion. And of course, he'll get killed for it.

Domochevsky
2009-10-22, 04:30 AM
I'm not ashamed to say I've fallen for both of the major Bioware twists: both KotOR and

Jade Empire. I had an unsettled feeling about the whole thing and I knew something was wrong, but when my "master" punched me straight in the chest, all I could think was "Wow, I got schooled."

I got utterly schooled by that one as well.
I knew there was something up, what with everyone saying they saw some sort of weakness in my defense but couldn't make out what it was.

And then he got me straight up with a single hit. I didn't even count him as a person, what with him disappearing early and becoming the MacGuffin for most of the game.

Damn you, glorious strategist. Damn you. http://nudecreator.org/Domochevsky/emot-argh.gif

MickJay
2009-10-22, 07:25 AM
About Jade Empire, very good game, but two things irritated me to no end:

as in most RPGs, you have to be bent on being evil for evil's sake, since being good always nets better rewards in the end. You'd think that people are doing evil things to get some sort of tangible profit, but this never seems to apply to the main character.

Also, the "good" ending. Throughout the game there's all this talk about balance, the need to return things to their proper place; the bad guy abuses the divine power, yes, but he's also using it to keep away the drought, and while he's a tyrant, he prevents the hunger and starvation. When the main character restores the balance, everyone cheers him, even though it's been strongly hinted that this balance will mean many years of hunger. Though maybe they're all very Open Palm and simply know their place. :smalltongue:

In KotOR, I wasn't really surprised about the "revelation", and it didn't really make that much of impression on me, either. It was more like "yeah, okay. Wait, was that supposed to be a major plot point or something?".

Green Bean
2009-10-22, 07:28 AM
Also, the "good" ending. Throughout the game there's all this talk about balance, the need to return things to their proper place; the bad guy abuses the divine power, yes, but he's also using it to keep away the drought, and while he's a tyrant, he prevents the hunger and starvation. When the main character restores the balance, everyone cheers him, even though it's been strongly hinted that this balance will mean many years of hunger. Though maybe they're all very Open Palm and simply know their place. :smalltongue:

Perhaps the people prefer not getting tortured today to the possibility of maybe going hungry tomorrow? Sure, it's a bit myopic, but it's certainly realistic.

Domochevsky
2009-10-22, 08:01 AM
Perhaps the people prefer not getting tortured today to the possibility of maybe going hungry tomorrow? Sure, it's a bit myopic, but it's certainly realistic.

Not to mention this whole "the dead cannot rest and will return crazy" thing.

MickJay
2009-10-22, 01:04 PM
Getting rid of tyrant, fine, getting rid of the restless ghosts, even better, but what bothered me specifically was how the game "forgot" about the unpleasant consequences of Open Palm solution. "Yay, you chose the correct way of dealing with things, and it so happens it was also the easier and more profitable road to take, congratulations!" :smalltongue:

And really, Open Palm is, among other things, about "knowing your place", but that only seems to apply to people who are immensely powerful. Game had such a potential in distinguishing between the Open and Closed philosophies. Unfortunately, it wasn't done coherently, and the Ways ended up being plain "good" and "evil", and the morality is very modern and Western, to boot. Whatever effort was put to make it slightly less stark during the early stages of the game was abandoned later on.

Telling someone to fight for themselves, to be strong, to raise their position in life? Closed Fist. So is killing peasants and robbing them. On the other hand, you don't have many opportunities to tell the peasants that they should obey their ruler and abandon their ambitions and getting Open Palm for that :P

Anyhow, that applies to both KotOR games as well, being good is easier and more profitable. As you play you start wondering what kind of an idiot one has to be to choose Dark Side, when it does NOT provide any real advantages over the Light one. You really have to be devoted to being evil so you won't be getting Light Points when you pick more profitable options... the only somewhat reasonable motivation for going to the Dark Side is revenge, but that's just petty, and you can't really respect a character like that. It's like the creators of these games wanted to say "yes, you can be bad, but only if you want to play a stupid, petty and totally screwed up character. Because, you know, you'll be getting more of, and cooler, stuff if you'll just stay good, and everyone will like you, too".

Haberdashery
2009-10-22, 01:10 PM
Actually, I guessed you were Revan the minute you crash land on Taris after the prologue. You know, when you have that flashbacky-vision? That really pissed my friend off, who was banking on the fact I'd be so surprised by that plot twist. Whoops?

Flickerdart
2009-10-22, 09:50 PM
Getting rid of tyrant, fine, getting rid of the restless ghosts, even better, but what bothered me specifically was how the game "forgot" about the unpleasant consequences of Open Palm solution. "Yay, you chose the correct way of dealing with things, and it so happens it was also the easier and more profitable road to take, congratulations!" :smalltongue:

And really, Open Palm is, among other things, about "knowing your place", but that only seems to apply to people who are immensely powerful. Game had such a potential in distinguishing between the Open and Closed philosophies. Unfortunately, it wasn't done coherently, and the Ways ended up being plain "good" and "evil", and the morality is very modern and Western, to boot. Whatever effort was put to make it slightly less stark during the early stages of the game was abandoned later on.

Telling someone to fight for themselves, to be strong, to raise their position in life? Closed Fist. So is killing peasants and robbing them. On the other hand, you don't have many opportunities to tell the peasants that they should obey their ruler and abandon their ambitions and getting Open Palm for that :P

Anyhow, that applies to both KotOR games as well, being good is easier and more profitable. As you play you start wondering what kind of an idiot one has to be to choose Dark Side, when it does NOT provide any real advantages over the Light one. You really have to be devoted to being evil so you won't be getting Light Points when you pick more profitable options... the only somewhat reasonable motivation for going to the Dark Side is revenge, but that's just petty, and you can't really respect a character like that. It's like the creators of these games wanted to say "yes, you can be bad, but only if you want to play a stupid, petty and totally screwed up character. Because, you know, you'll be getting more of, and cooler, stuff if you'll just stay good, and everyone will like you, too".
But you get to mind-trick a guy that's robbing a hobo to jump into a bottomless pit. I always take that option, Light Side or Dark. It's just too good to pass up.

Xenogears
2009-10-23, 12:58 AM

I always thought the reason to go Dark Side was for Force Lightning and Drain Life.

Guancyto
2009-10-23, 01:33 AM
I always thought the reason to go Dark Side was for Force Lightning and Drain Life.

"So if you destroy a planet, you get cheaper force lightning? How about that one over there?"

"What, Manaan? You have no idea how much I would if I could."

LurkerInPlayground
2009-10-23, 01:33 AM
No.

But the twist utterly failed to get me excited. Four fetch quests and we break up the end of the third mission with a contrived "Luke, I Am Your Father" moment.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-10-23, 01:35 AM
Force kill is a lot of fun too. Strangling your enemies is rather priceless.

The one Dark Side power every character must get is Plague. It makes Malak that much easier to fight. It's also not a half-bad power on the rare occasion it comes up, and by the end-game you're wallowing in FP's, Light Sided or no.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-23, 01:41 AM
Force kill is a lot of fun too. Strangling your enemies is rather priceless.

The one Dark Side power every character must get is Plague. It makes Malak that much easier to fight. It's also not a half-bad power on the rare occasion it comes up, and by the end-game you're wallowing in FP's, Light Sided or no.

Heh. My friend defeated Malak without taking a hit by running in circles around him and throwing his lightsaber. It was among the most pathetic anticlimaxes I have ever had cause to witness.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-23, 02:48 AM
One thing I don't like about playing DS in KOTOR is that when you're Evil, you're more Chaotic then Lawful. You're a real jerk most of the time "Burn everything!"

I'd rather rule the world than burn it :smallbiggrin:

Oh and I defeated Sion in DS very easy with Force Crush while standing behind a pillar.

Brother Oni
2009-10-23, 06:48 AM

You can know your place with the Closed Fist path as well.

Open Palm can be regarded as the maintenance of order, but if the rule of law stagnates, the Closed Fist will challenge and renew it but should not overstep his bounds.

After all, the Celestial Emperor turned into a tyrant, oppressing and maintaining his rule (extreme Open Palm) and the Monkey King challenged him, breaking his grip (Closed Fist).
Unfortunately he over-stepped his bounds (breaking the oppressive rule of Heaven isn't quite the same thing as completely trashing the Heavenly Palace and scattering the entire Celestial Court to the four winds) and was punished accordingly.

I do agree that it degenerated into a very black and white modern western morality towards the end and while it had a lot of potential, it could have been better written.

For example, I was as Closed Fist as you could get (had the glowy evil shadow tentacles, bound the Princess and Death's Head to me), but I still restored the dragon (it's not my place to take the role of a goddess), which resulted in about 80% Open Palm path. :smallsigh:

MickJay
2009-10-23, 07:49 AM
Dark Side has some nice, flashy, fun to use killing powers, but they are not in any way more "powerful" than the Light ones. They're more straightforward to use, but that's about it, a few Light side buffs will provide similar, or greater, advantage over the enemies, and you can practically finish the fight by stunning enemies in the first action, while killing them with force powers usually lasts a few rounds during which they can still attack you.

Flickerdart
2009-10-23, 09:40 AM
Heh, I remember giving Atton Force Hold or whatever. He was a hilariously low-level Jedi at that point, and had only enough FP to use it once with a crummy save, but at one point he froze an entire bunch of enemies and just shot them all. That was fun. Mass Hold is just as effective as Storm, just takes a bit longer to kill everyone while they're standing there.

stabbybelkar
2009-10-24, 08:22 PM

Gordon's not faceless, his face shows up all the time on the box art.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-25, 12:25 AM
You know what is really funny? Even though I prefer KOTOR over KOTOR 2 I miss the second one's more advanced features. Like the lab station and the extended workbench, as well as powers like Revive and the cross-class feats.