PDA

View Full Version : Finding Roleplay groups

Masaki-kun
2009-10-20, 11:25 PM
I live close to Silver Spring Maryland, and me and my girlfriend wanna play D&D. Someday. Maybe. We don't really know too many people - we tried Werewolf the Dramatic Noun with one friend and he got me arrested, blew up the gas station and caused nothing to get done. Then the DM went to Vietnam. Soooo... Need help here.

Revanmal
2009-10-20, 11:30 PM
If you search online you could probably find local groups or clubs dedicated to gaming in the DC Area.

If that doesn't work, try finding a game shop nearby and see if they have a bulletin board or sign-up sheet for people looking for games.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-20, 11:58 PM
I live a bit closer to baltimore than you do, but hey, there's a few good shops in the area, and a relatively lively roleplaying community.

Games and Stuff (http://gamesandstuffonline.com/) is in Glen Burnie, MD. Bit of a drive, but not unreasonable.

A bit closer, in Savage Mills, we have The Family Game Store (http://www.familygamestore.net/). More board game focused, but they still have roleplaying nights twice a week I believe, and D&D is definitely popular.

There's also a huge community that games at home instead of at the store, but in general, that's a good place to get start and meet people. Both of them carry D&D products...heavily biased torwards 4E now, but if you want 3.5, I know the family game store will order them in for you.

There might be game shops closer to you as well, but I tend to avoid driving on the beltway, so I wouldn't know how good they are. Regardless, they've got to be a step up from being arrested. Good luck!

herrhauptmann
2009-10-21, 01:43 AM
I live close to Silver Spring Maryland, and me and my girlfriend wanna play D&D. Someday. Maybe. We don't really know too many people - we tried Werewolf the Dramatic Noun with one friend and he got me arrested, blew up the gas station and caused nothing to get done. Then the DM went to Vietnam. Soooo... Need help here.

How did he get you arrested? This sounds like it may be an awesome story

Masaki-kun
2009-10-21, 05:17 AM
He got my character arrested. He was the type of guy who does anything because he knows it's a game and he doesn't really have to live with the consequences. Now, I don't mind levity in a game but his crew is the sort that if "we all meet in a bar," we spend an hour in there getting drunk and trying to find barmaids that aren't ugly as sin before someone sets it on fire. And I get beat up.

BobVosh
2009-10-21, 06:32 AM

I really hope I wasn't the only person to reread this real fast to realize they meant in game.

c_g
2009-10-21, 07:11 AM
There's a gaming store in Rockville, too - Dream Wizards. I think they sometimes host games, and they might have a bulletin board for people looking for players/games.

Masaki-kun
2009-10-21, 08:30 PM
The guys at the Olney Games workshop mentioned Dream Wizards... Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know if I can catch a bus to Rockville. I really said "Silver Spring" because I am tied to the buses...

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 08:51 AM
Ah, that puts a bit of a damper on things, then. I'd suggest giving them a call, and seeing if they have a bulletin board before going there, then. If they have any games listed as closer to you, that might be handy.

Gnaeus
2009-10-22, 09:17 AM
When I lived in silver spring (a little over 10 years ago), and was bus bound, and didn't really know anyone, this is what I did. (I mention this in part because you played werewolf.)

I looked up the local chapter of the Camarilla larp, and went to a few of their games. At the time, they mostly played in VA, but that doesn't really matter, because the domain has some 30 people in it and there was always someone willing to give me a ride from a subway stop, if not pick me up at my house.

If you find that you enjoy larping, bonus, problem solved. If you find that you DON'T enjoy larping, you have just met 20+ gamers many of whom also play dungeons and dragons. Pick your favorite 6 and ask them if they know of a game you can join, or if they want to join your game. I haven't larped regularly in years, but it is a great way to meet gamers and watch them for a while to know if they are the kind of people you are willing to invite into your house.

Also, if either you or your GF are in school, many schools have gaming clubs.

Ozreth
2009-10-22, 04:14 PM
Well for starters the two of you could start playing together. Pick up a starter set, one of you DM the other be the player. This way when you do find a group you will have some knowledge of the game. That or you can just pick up the core books and a level 1 adventure off the internet, whatever seems more fun.

There is a forum on the wizards of the coast website for people looking for groups. You can also search for gaming shops and/or groups in your area. Shouldnt be too hard to find something.

If worse comes to worse, play by yourselves and try to find a third friend who may be interested. Nothing wrong with starting slow!

kjones
2009-10-22, 04:31 PM
If you're willing to host people, you could always run your own game. Even if you and your girlfriend are the only ones that you know of who are actively interested, try recruiting some of your nerdier friends. Back in high school, none of my friends really played - so I rounded up four or five of 'em, and shoved dice in their hands.

Masaki-kun
2009-10-22, 11:23 PM
Looks like the idea pretty much focuses on "find a gaming shop." Time to websearch I guess.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 11:28 PM
Hell, if you start a game of 3.5, ping me with the details. I might have enough time to start another campaign soon, since one of my current ones looks to be ending.