PDA

View Full Version : Genetics

deaincaelo
2009-10-20, 11:27 PM
Species in terms of in-game bonuses hybridize ideally. Compatible matches will fall within the distribution dictated by a punnet square. Creatures with the half-template will receive one half the difference of each parent's racial traits and one half of each races discrete traits. Creatures with the half-template are considered to be both component races to spells, magical effects, and magical items.

Vital statistics on average also follow the same rules. However, they can rarely jump species barriers in mixes-ancestry situations. This can lead to people with mixed race ancestry with unusual characteristics, such as green skin or silver eyes. This will happen in about 5% of children with a mixed-race parent, and very rarely in latter generations.

How to create a punnet square: list the mother's component races down the side and the father's across the top. If a parent is pure blooded, list their race twice. Add each column and row. The result is all the possible offspring from that mating and their relative frequency.

critique as always welcome.

Vadin
2009-10-21, 11:54 AM
Is this homebrew, or a statement of basic biology? :smallconfused:

Golden-Esque
2009-10-21, 12:10 PM
So, what you're saying, deaincaelo, is that if a Mommy High Elf (+2 Int -2 Con) and, let's say, a Daddy Halfling (+2 Dex -2 Str) have babies, you end up with a child with any one of the following Ability Mods?

{table=head] | Dad 1 | Dad 2
Mom 1 | +2 Dex, +2 Int | +2 Int, -2 Str
Mom 2 | +2 Dex, -2 Con | -2 Con, -2 Str[/table]

While this is certainly interesting, I'm not sure how balanced it would be. You should also include what races are compatible with each other.

Milskidasith
2009-10-21, 12:15 PM
So basically you get to roll for abilities and you can either be screwed (no ability mods but negatives) or you can be awesome (Human bonus feat, +2 to a key stat, human skill points, non human other things, human favored class?)

hamishspence
2009-10-21, 12:26 PM
Munchkin d20 had its own rules for homebrewing crossbreeds:

If both races have a trait the crossbreed has it at the better value.

If only one race has a trait, the crossbreed has it.

If neither race has it, see if you can't make a case for it anyway. Maybe you'l catch your DM in a generous mood.

(possibilities mentioned included half-gnome/half-halfling).

Ichneumon
2009-10-21, 01:54 PM
I once thought about including punnet squares to D&D races, but quickly gave up, mainly because you can't do it realistically and it adds to much difficulty with table etc while it doesn't really give us more "realism". My inner geek though would be very pleased if it could be worked out correctly and balanced. If you could rewrite all the races to have 2 (or more, depending on how difficult you'd want to make it) "gene groups" which are all interchangable and balanced, that can be combined in any combination. All combinations would be balanced and you could make punnet squares with children just getting per gene group either the father's or the mothers'.

In fact, I'd do it as such.

First, I decide on 3 "gene groups", 3 because it is more than 2 (which doesn't allow for much variation, and is still controllable because it isn't that much.

This is an attempt and making races and hybrid races more customizable and more semi-realistic at the same time. I say semi-realistic, mostly because the genetics and biology in this thread are only an approach to real genetics.

The stats of all races (mabe even monstrous races to some extend) consists of 3 Gene groups, these are groups of properties such as ability bonuses, immunities, weapon proficiencies etc, grouped together. Each child inherits 3 gene groups from their parents, which one of which parent is selected randomly (in game, out of game it is selected by the player).

Each gene group first of all consists of a balanced "ability bonus/penalty pair" such as either "+2 Int & -2 Charisma" or "+2 Str & -2 Dex". The combination of the 3 of ability bonuses makes up for the standard array, as one of the groups might provide a +2 on Intelligence, while another might provide a -2 Intelligence penalty. Some gene groups however, have no bonuses to any ability.

There are 3 "types" of gene groups. The first one, I call the primary gene group, which consists of the major "species" (elf/orc/human/dwarf) properties, which determine what race a character is. Secondary gene groups are usually subraces. The third gene group is a more generic gene group which mixes freely amongst all races. All three groups are somewhat equal in power, however some combinations may lead to "overpowerness", this is just a first attempt.

Because these races have more properties, they are stronger than standard races, so if you use this variant, use it consistently.

All races are standard medium in size and have a base land speed of 30, unless a gene group overrides this with other properties. Also languages and favored class are left out of this. Furthermore you might want to choose to grant all characters another extra feat at character creation.

Primary Gene groups:

Elven
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution
-Immunity to magic sleep effects and +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects

Dwarf
- +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
-Dwarves have a speed of 20 feet, however they keep this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying medium or heavy load.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison

Halfling/Gnome race

- +2 Dexterity -2 Strength
-Small creatures, 20 feet speed
- +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump and Move silently checks.

Orc
-+2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
-Toughness as a bonus feat

Human
-4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra at every additional level.

Secondary Gene groups:

Aspect of humanity
- +2 on Diplomacy and Gather information
- Extra feat

Aspect of the Gnome
- +2 constitution, -2 Dexterity
- Spell-like Ability: 1/day speak with animals (burrowing animals only) and prestidigitation or dancing lights or ghost sound (depends on every individual which of these 3 spells manifests in the genome).

Aspect of the halfling
- +2 racial bonus on Search, Spot and listen checks
- +2 morale bonus against fear

Wild Elf
- +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence
- +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks. If the elf passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door, he is entitled to a search check to notice it as if he were actively searching for it.

Wood Elf
- +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity
- You gain Endurance as a bonus feat

Aluminum Dwarf
- Stability: like the normal ability.

Tertiary "general" gene groups:

Stonecunning (yes, not only for dwarves)
-Stonecunning ability, like the dwarves srd. ability
- +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.

Born into the dark
- Darkvision out to 120 feet.
- Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds for 1 round. On subsequent rounds they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.

Born in the dusk
-Darkvision out to 60 feet
-You gain Alertness as a bonus feat

Magical Trickster
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
- +2 racial bonus on against spells and and spell-like effects

deaincaelo
2009-10-21, 10:53 PM
So, what you're saying, deaincaelo, is that if a Mommy High Elf (+2 Int -2 Con) and, let's say, a Daddy Halfling (+2 Dex -2 Str) have babies, you end up with a child with any one of the following Ability Mods?

Mom 1 | +2 Dex, +2 Int | +2 Int, -2 Str
Mom 2 | +2 Dex, -2 Con | -2 Con, -2 Str[/table]

While this is certainly interesting, I'm not sure how balanced it would be. You should also include what races are compatible with each other.

no, it would be

Mom 1 | +1 Int -1 Con +1dex -1 str| +1 Int -1 Con +1dex -1 str
Mom 2 | +1 Int -1 Con +1dex -1 str | +1 Int -1 Con +1dex -1 str[/table]

Jokasti
2009-10-21, 11:01 PM
I think this would work better in 4.0

deaincaelo
2009-10-21, 11:02 PM
So far I'm only got to human crossbreeds. In fact, in my brew one of Humans special abilities are being able to interbreed with sapient, similar sized (med, large, small) humanoids. I don't expect it to take in game time.

If it works out for gameplay and seems like basic bio 101, then it's good.

deaincaelo
2009-10-21, 11:04 PM
I think this would work better in 4.0

I'm actually working from 2.5, and trying to integrate (modified) the fixes from later editions. There's some tweaking.

Mewtarthio
2009-10-22, 01:04 AM
no, it would be

Mom 1 | +1 Int -1 Con +1dex -1 str| +1 Int -1 Con +1dex -1 str
Mom 2 | +1 Int -1 Con +1dex -1 str | +1 Int -1 Con +1dex -1 str[/table]

To put it more cleanly, are you trying to say:

Human/Elf pairing
{table=head] | Human | Human
Elf | Half-Elf | Half-Elf
Elf | Half-Elf | Half-Elf [/table]

Human/Half-Elf pairing
{table=head] | Human | Human
Elf | Half-Elf | Half-Elf
Human | Human | Human [/table]

Half-Elf/Half-Elf pairing
{table=head] | Human | Elf
Elf | Half-Elf | Elf
Human | Human | Half-Elf [/table]

And then trying to generalize half-breed rules for all races?

deaincaelo
2009-10-22, 03:32 AM
yes. exactly.