PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy or?

Mystic Muse
2009-10-21, 01:29 AM
Am I crazy or would "gauntlet dark legacy" be a good D&D campaign? of course Skorn would have to be a homebrewed god . The realms would have to be changed to be actual parts of the country with actual people and everything and there'd also be a few video game mechanics you'd have to get rid of but I don't think it would be incredibly hard. of course I could be wrong on that point.

what does everybody think? for those who don't know here's the story.

in an ancient time the evil mage Garm, using the power of the runestones, unleashed a great evil upon the land. This fiend Skorn broke free of Garm's control, Crushing him and then imprisoning his soul in the underworld. Skorn then unleashed his minions upon the land, and scattered the runestones across the eight realms hoping that they might never again be assembeled and used against him. no one has dare tried. until now.

cue throwaway joke with Gabe from Penny arcade running in with a makeshift helmet on and his cardboard tube.

ondonaflash
2009-10-21, 02:14 AM
I could see it, the game was pretty much designed around the core 3 classes, that is, Archer, Fighter, Caster. They added a few more after the fact, but that's about the sum of it. You might want to just set the bad guys in place, rather than have them just spawn, and you might want to make the puzzles less "find the hidden switch" heavy, but no I can see it.

Good concept, disappointing game.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-21, 02:27 AM
Good concept, disappointing game.

until now!:smallbiggrin:

wormwood
2009-10-21, 07:45 AM
Am I crazy or

Who said these things had to be mutually exclusive?

:D

Guinea Anubis
2009-10-21, 11:11 AM
i like this idea

drengnikrafe
2009-10-21, 02:41 PM
About 2 days ago, I sat down and thought to myself... "You know, Gauntlet games seem to be loosely based on D&D. Hmm..."

I agree with you. The problem is that it's hard to achieve story in that type of hack 'n' slash... err... shoot game. Ultimately, yes. If you were willing to put forth the effort, I imagine you could build an entire campaign out of the ideas put forth in any Gauntlet game, so long as you were willing to tinker with the monsters in any given area and add more story.

jiriku
2009-10-21, 03:20 PM
When I become an evil mastermind, I will not scatter the eight runestones that are the key to unraveling my power far and wide across the land. I will put them in my safe-deposit box.

Frosty
2009-10-21, 03:23 PM
When I become an evil mastermind, I will not scatter the eight runestones that are the key to unraveling my power far and wide across the land. I will put them in my safe-deposit box.

So that it's all in one convenient place for the heros to raid? Seroously. They only need to get lucky once, and luck is ALWAYS ont he side of the plucky hero.

Zovc
2009-10-21, 03:27 PM
Just hope the players don't shoot your magic items. Everyone loses.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-21, 05:21 PM
here's a few of my ideas.
A. weapons that level along with them.
B. sort of like the planes in D&D heroes. in order to get to the next place you have to get all of the runestones from the last one.
C. the countries are actually inhabited so that it isn't purely hack and slash.
D. Legend weapons that work only once but always hit and adversely affect the boss.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-21, 08:04 PM
What edition are you thinking of?

Mystic Muse
2009-10-21, 10:05 PM
This is really more theoretical. However I've only DMed 3.5 and 4.0 so assume one of those.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-21, 11:16 PM
4e would probably be the best bet; the basic attacks of the characters are kind of like at-wills, the turbo gauge is kind of like encounter powers, and so on.

chiasaur11
2009-10-22, 12:11 AM
Good news:

It's only the rest of the world going sane.

Might be a good idea, on the whole. Tell us how it goes.