PDA

View Full Version : Lets Play Cards. [3.5 Creature]

criticalstriker
2009-10-21, 07:06 AM
Mace
Before you stands a 7 inch humanoid shaped creature. Its skin looks like it is composed of dirt, and its eyes are two small gems that glint in the sun light. It stares at you for a few moments, before asking "Cards?"

Mace are small earth elementals that are quite often found in caves. These creatures are actually native creatures to the prime material plane, unlike most elementals. They also possess a very odd obsession with any card game that can be played, and frequently annoy cave dwellers until they play cards with them.

Mace are very apathetic creatures, not caring about anything enough to fight about it. The only time a mace normally fights is in self-defense, or when a nymph that they like is in danger and even then they're more likely to dive under the earth than they are to attempt to kill others.

Mace are known to be very fond of nymphs, and huge quantities of mace are often found in underground nymph grotto's (occasionally to the dismay of even the nymph, as her pool is overrun with a hundred little earth creatures). Mace also seem uncharacteristically fond of small children, sometimes appearing en masse to lead a child who has become lost in their cave back to the surface.

Mace
Diminutive Elemental
Hit Dice: 2d8 +2 (11 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (Dexterity +4, Size +4, Natural +1), flat-foot 15, touch 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-16
Attack: Slam -4 (1 -5)
Full Attack: Slam -4 (1 -5)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Earth mastery, poker face
Special Qualities: Earth glide, cheat
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +0
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 19, Con 15, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 11
Skills: Bluff +4, Sense Motive +9, Hide +20
Feats: Skill Focus (Sense Motive)
Environment: Caves
Organization: Normally a gang (3)
Challenge Rating: 1/4th
Treasure: 2 gems worth 1 GP each, 50% chance for 1 deck of cards
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Cheat (Su): As an immediate action 3/day, a mace may bestow -3 to a single attack roll, damage roll, ability check or skill check to any creature within 60 feet.

Poker Face (Su): 1/day a mace can use Calm Emotions as a sorcerer of 5th level, with a DC of 13 against any target within 30 feet.

Earth Mastery (Ex): A mace gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if both it and its foe are touching the ground. If an opponent is airborne of waterborne, the mace takes a -4 penalty on attack and damage rolls. (These modifiers are not included in the statistics block).

Earth Glide (Ex): A mace can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a mace flings the mace back 40 feet.

Just a little creature that my players found playing poker with some bandits in their cave. I decided I might as well stat the little buggers up :smallsmile:

Debihuman
2009-10-21, 08:10 AM
CR is probably closer to 1/4 than to 1. It really does no effective damage.

Debby

criticalstriker
2009-10-21, 09:01 AM
CR is probably closer to 1/4 than to 1. It really does no effective damage.

Debby

I suppose you're right. I kinda suck with CR :smalltongue:

DracoDei
2009-10-21, 04:02 PM
CR estimation is TOUGH. I know I can't do it reliably, and I have more than a few critters under my belt. So don't sweat it.

Merk
2009-10-21, 04:05 PM
I really like the idea of this monster. Are you planning entries for Hearts, Diamonds, and Spades as well?

Edit: I think Sense Motive makes more sense than Profession (Card Player). If these guys are just hanging out in caves, they're probably not earning a wage per se with card playing (gambling is another story). But being able to detect when they are being lied to is just as valuable as lying.

Debihuman
2009-10-21, 07:34 PM
The problem with Diminutive creatures with terrible Str scores is that they are massively underpowered in combat. This is why so many have Weapon Finesses as their feat. You can always add it as a bonus feat.

However, you should consider increasing the creature's Wis score. It is much more important that it be good at the card game than it be at combat. It is really hamstrung by that low Wisdom score. It should probably have a Wisdom of 14.

Debby

Gnomo
2009-10-21, 10:09 PM
By themselves those creatures suck, but a couple of them with a powerful enemy can be put to good use, specially foiling attacks against the bigger enemy.

criticalstriker
2009-10-22, 09:49 AM
I really like the idea of this monster. Are you planning entries for Hearts, Diamonds, and Spades as well?

Edit: I think Sense Motive makes more sense than Profession (Card Player). If these guys are just hanging out in caves, they're probably not earning a wage per se with card playing (gambling is another story). But being able to detect when they are being lied to is just as valuable as lying.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there something in the monster entry that ties it to the Clubs? If so, it was entirely on accident O.o

The pun in it's name was totally on purpose. My friend pointing it out had nothing to do with it at all!

As far as sense motive, I suppose you're right. I was just thinking Profession (Cards Player) would be the most effective method of displaying their skill with cards.

The problem with Diminutive creatures with terrible Str scores is that they are massively underpowered in combat. This is why so many have Weapon Finesses as their feat. You can always add it as a bonus feat.

However, you should consider increasing the creature's Wis score. It is much more important that it be good at the card game than it be at combat. It is really hamstrung by that low Wisdom score. It should probably have a Wisdom of 14.

Eh, I kind of like their not-combatness. They're generally not meant to be in scuffles and such. As far as the Wis score, I agree. I'll bump it up to 15 or so.

By themselves those creatures suck, but a couple of them with a powerful enemy can be put to good use, specially foiling attacks against the bigger enemy.

Not sure how I can reply to this message :smalltongue: