PDA

View Full Version : I'm Moving to Michigan!

Midnight Son
2009-10-21, 07:20 AM
Okay, I've been putting this off, but since today was my last day of work in Utah, I figure I better make the announcement.

So, many of you may know that the delightful Phoenixineohp and I are engaged (wedding next Oct). The distance is a pain though so, since I cannot get a job in Canada yet, I'm doing the next best thing and moving myself to Port Huron, MI on 10/28. I expect I shall freeze to death before the year is out. If so, just prop me up next to her at the wedding and get a ventriloquist for my vows. :smallbiggrin:

karnokoto
2009-10-21, 07:30 AM
Oh nonsense, its warm there! ;)
Congratulations! I hope everything works out wonderfully for you!

toasty
2009-10-21, 07:53 AM

Your warm is my freezing to death.

We don't have winters here close to the equator. Summer just goes away for a few months. :smalltongue:

Hope everything works great for you Midnight Son!

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-21, 07:56 AM
Okay, I've been putting this off, but since today was my last day of work in Utah, I figure I better make the announcement.

So, many of you may know that the delightful Phoenixineohp and I are engaged (wedding next Oct). The distance is a pain though so, since I cannot get a job in Canada yet, I'm doing the next best thing and moving myself to Port Huron, MI on 10/28. I expect I shall freeze to death before the year is out. If so, just prop me up next to her at the wedding and get a ventriloquist for my vows. :smallbiggrin:

I did not know this, but it is awesome to find out! Congrats, you two! =D

*snuggleses, tosses you a warm blankie* =3

Trog
2009-10-21, 08:46 AM
*looks up Port Huron, MI location on Google maps quick*

Awwwww... it's right on the edge of the border. Heh. You guys are such a cute couple. :smallbiggrin:

From one man with a shaved head to another: Get a warm winter hat. Best investment you can make when living in the midwest. A snow blower might be a close second. *hugs his snow blower* :smallamused:

Solaris
2009-10-21, 12:47 PM

Liez, trickery and liez.

Son, you're going to freeze to death in forty degree weather and I'm going to mock you for it. Something like this: *Mock mock mock*.
I'm also going to make fun of you for dressing in loose, dry, clean layers of clothing especially if it's thirty-two out, and I'll definitely mock you for wearing an insulated hat (to keep your ears from falling off). I'll also mock you for driving slower on icy roads (and oh god if you haven't driven in the snow before everyone within a square mile will hate you).
... Not that you'll care, 'cause I'm just some random person on the Internet. But mock you I will.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-21, 01:29 PM
Wait. Weddings mean wedding pictures.

Does that mean we'll finally have a picture of pxp?

Somehow I doubt it, but it's nice to hope.

((Of course, I already saw a picture of her before, so it's all good.))

Gullara
2009-10-21, 01:42 PM
Your warm is my freezing to death.

We don't have winters here close to the equator. Summer just goes away for a few months. :smalltongue:

Hope everything works great for you Midnight Son!

lol warm up here is like 10 degrees Celsius

Midnight Son
2009-10-21, 03:19 PM
Liez, trickery and liez.

Son, you're going to freeze to death in forty degree weather and I'm going to mock you for it. Something like this: *Mock mock mock*.
I'm also going to make fun of you for dressing in loose, dry, clean layers of clothing especially if it's thirty-two out, and I'll definitely mock you for wearing an insulated hat (to keep your ears from falling off). I'll also mock you for driving slower on icy roads (and oh god if you haven't driven in the snow before everyone within a square mile will hate you).
... Not that you'll care, 'cause I'm just some random person on the Internet. But mock you I will.<-----Was raised in Alaska and has massive amounts of experience driving on sheets of ice. (just never enjoyed the cause of needing to do so)

*wishes his fiance lived somewhere like Hawaii so he could be warm*

SurlySeraph
2009-10-21, 03:24 PM

You are Canadian. Your perspective on cold is not applicable to non-Canadians, because your veins are made out of snow. :smalltongue:

Other than the obvious cold thing, Michigan's pretty nice. All the lakes are great for swimming when it's warm enough. Enjoy it!

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-21, 03:29 PM
You are Canadian. Your perspective on cold is not applicable to non-Canadians, because your veins are made out of snow. :smalltongue:

I think I love this statement. =P

This reminds me. Weren't you rooming with Reina? Are she and Phoe moving to Michigan, too?

You're just Playgrounder-riffic, MS. And pretty damn awesome, too.

Threads like this one make me miss giving hugs at meetups.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-21, 03:42 PM
We should have a Michigan Meetup!

I could host, and I might even be able to get the large meeting space if it becomes too big.

phoenixineohp
2009-10-21, 05:37 PM

Very cute. But you're forgetting something. I'm a PHOENIX. You'll be plenty warm. :smallamused:

I highly doubt that wedding pictures will be posted. Good try though. :smalltongue:

I'm all for a Michigan Meetup! We both need to learn the Port Huron area better, but it would be a good option for the Ontario folks as well as being in range for several Americans. Excellent idea. *begins plotting snow kubb*

Midnight Son
2009-10-21, 05:45 PM
Very cute. But you're forgetting something. I'm a PHOENIX. You'll be plenty warm. :smallamused:

I highly doubt that wedding pictures will be posted. Good try though. :smalltongue:
Yeah, either my front or back will be toasty. the other side will be ice...or are you planning to skewer me and turn me like a marshmallow?

I'm all for a Michigan Meetup! We both need to learn the Port Huron area better, but it would be a good option for the Ontario folks as well as being in range for several Americans. Excellent idea. *begins plotting snow kubb*Did it hit? I thought I heard it hit. Quick go dig through the snow over there and look. Wait, didn't we start the game half a block that way?

SMEE
2009-10-21, 05:48 PM
Ohhhh! Meet up!

I am planning to visit Michigan by December/January to give a cute couple that's living there a much deserved hug! :smallbiggrin:

Solaris
2009-10-21, 09:36 PM
<-----Was raised in Alaska and has massive amounts of experience driving on sheets of ice. (just never enjoyed the cause of needing to do so)

*wishes his fiance lived somewhere like Hawaii so he could be warm*

Excellent, in which case you are fully-trained in the art of frost-fu.
Which part, by the way?

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-22, 01:16 AM

So, many of you may know that the delightful Phoenixineohp and I are engaged (wedding next Oct). The distance is a pain though so, since I cannot get a job in Canada yet, I'm doing the next best thing and moving myself to Port Huron, MI on 10/28. I expect I shall freeze to death before the year is out. If so, just prop me up next to her at the wedding and get a ventriloquist for my vows. :smallbiggrin:*makes note to learn ventriloquism by next October* :smallcool:

Upside: Closer to future spouse :smallbiggrin:
Downside: MUCH shorter riding season :smallfrown:

skywalker
2009-10-22, 01:29 AM
Downside: MUCH shorter riding season :smallfrown:

Michigan + Motorcycles =

Took a look down a westbound road,
right away I made my choice
Headed out to my big two-wheeler,
I was tired of my own voice
Took a bead on the northern plains
and just rolled that power on

Twelve hours out of Mackinaw City
stopped in a bar to have a brew...

etc.

Felixaar
2009-10-22, 02:42 AM
WOAH.

WOAH WOAH WOAH.

When did all this happen?

...HUH?

Well, I mean, awesomeness and congratulations all around... ha, the weirdest thing is that I can remember the Valentines thread what, two years ago? when you two became Valentines because of Midi's awesome CD/Tickets present idea, and thinking "Hmmm... I wonder..."

But still, WOAH.

Hmm, looks like I might have to squeeze in some way to hang around in the states a little longer. Do we have a date set? Early/Late October?

Hmm, and I should probably ask if I'd be alowed to, well, come.

toasty
2009-10-22, 02:57 AM
lol warm up here is like 10 degrees Celsius

Ya... see we're always "warm" except a few weeks in Dec/January when it drops to around 10 degrees Celsius.

The average temperature in the summer is easily 38C with 90-99% humidity. That and no AC for most people. :smallsigh:

wxdruid
2009-10-22, 04:05 AM
Congrats on the impending wedding and move from UT to MI and have fun driving through IL. I wish you and PxP the best.

Here are some weather statistics for your new location.

Coldest record temp is -18F in Jan
Highest record temp is 105 in Jun

Avg min/max temps are

Jan 20F/31F, Feb 21F/33F, Mar 28F/42F, Apr 39F/56F, May 49F/68F, Jun 59F/78F, Jul 64F/83F, Aug 63F/81F, Sep 56F/73F, Oct 45F/61F, Nov 35F/48F, Dec 25F/36F

Max snowfall was 34.2 inches in Jan with an avg annual snowfall of 34.0 inches.

Midnight Son
2009-10-22, 06:30 AM
Excellent, in which case you are fully-trained in the art of frost-fu.
Which part, by the way?Juneau, so not the coldest, but colder than I like.

Downside: MUCH shorter riding season :smallfrown:You just had to remind me of that, didn't you?

Congrats on the impending wedding and move from UT to MI and have fun driving through IL. I wish you and PxP the best.Flying, actually. Stuff will be shipped. As I recall, though, IL was quite beautiful when I rode through in September last year.

Here are some weather statistics for your new location.

Coldest record temp is -18F in Jan
Highest record temp is 105 in Jun

Avg min/max temps are

Jan 20F/31F, Feb 21F/33F, Mar 28F/42F, Apr 39F/56F, May 49F/68F, Jun 59F/78F, Jul 64F/83F, Aug 63F/81F, Sep 56F/73F, Oct 45F/61F, Nov 35F/48F, Dec 25F/36F

Max snowfall was 34.2 inches in Jan with an avg annual snowfall of 34.0 inches.Ah, well that's not actually so bad. Coldest record in Juneau is only a few colder at -22F. Goodness, I may actually survive this.

smellie_hippie
2009-10-22, 07:42 AM
Yay wedding thread!! Very happy for both of you, and look forward to seeing you again for hugs and such!!

Linkavitch
2009-10-22, 05:30 PM

Except from like, November to May. Congrats, by the way, to moving to one of the states with the highest rates of unemployment.:smallsmile:

Silence
2009-10-22, 06:10 PM
I used to live in Michigan.

And honestly, I do not regret leaving.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-22, 07:32 PM
I am still all sorts of Yay.

I remember when Pxp started asking me a few pointed questions when she saw my Status update said something about me being able to see Canada from my living room window. :smallwink:

I for one am very glad you choose my fine state vs. New York. :smallbiggrin:

Hang outs will have to happen soon.

Midnight Son
2009-10-22, 09:58 PM
I am still all sorts of Yay.

I remember when Pxp started asking me a few pointed questions when she saw my Status update said something about me being able to see Canada from my living room window. :smallwink:

I for one am very glad you choose my fine state vs. New York. :smallbiggrin:

Hang outs will have to happen soon.
Oh, there will be hangouts.

And Linka, I'm already employed.

Woodsman
2009-10-22, 10:02 PM
If it hasn't been stated already, be prepared for anything weather-wise.

Everything but hurricanes hits this state, pretty much regardless of season.

phoenixineohp
2009-10-22, 10:17 PM
He's lived in Alaska, Nevada and Utah. I've been in Ontario all my life. I think we'll survive the weather.*

Thank you folks for all the congratulations. We've been keeping quite but it does mean a lot to us. And Felixaar, hehehe, yes, we found it slightly funny that you didn't figure things out. :smallwink:

The wedding is set for next October, but we can't say anything on celebrations or guests until we figure that stuff out. We would like to celebrate with people somehow though. Perhaps a meet up would work for that. :smallsmile:

*At least until we can get the heck out of there and to someplace warm!

Shadow
2009-10-23, 02:12 AM
I'm glad this has finally become somewhat more common knowledge!
I was always hesitant to mention even little quips because I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a secret, and we all know how Pxp loves her anonymity!

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-23, 02:27 AM
So, clearly you didn't read the last SET Meetup thread, where I posted this wonderful news and specified that I'd gotten permission to do so beforehand? Tsk, tsk, Shadow, and I thought we had something special, you and I. I thought I knew you. :smalltongue:

Shadow
2009-10-23, 02:35 AM
Sure, I saw that, but the only people that really *read* that thread are the people that knew about it anyway, right?
I wasn't certain that it was "common knowledge" at that point.

That was an extremely targeted audience. :smallsmile:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-23, 02:49 AM
I read it. >.> :smalltongue:

Also, grongrats(again, can't remember if I grongrats'd you in the meet-up thread. ><)

Also, wedding pix, or I'l steal your Kubbs set And use it at dutch meet-ups...:smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Quincunx
2009-10-23, 02:56 AM
An October wedding in the frozen northlands? Nooooooooooooo!--or, at least, take the wedding pictures where it is inside and warm! Have a picture window backdrop or something! Line the fancy cape with fur! (Come to think of it, that might actually look good. . .)

Midnight Son
2009-10-23, 07:07 AM
An October wedding in the frozen northlands? Nooooooooooooo!--or, at least, take the wedding pictures where it is inside and warm! Have a picture window backdrop or something! Line the fancy cape with fur! (Come to think of it, that might actually look good. . .)

Trust me, this cloak (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Halloween08.jpg) is warm enough without the fur. (though I'm not sure I'd survive the wedding if I were to wear it. If PXP didn't off me for it, my mother certainly would)http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/cool.gif

Thes Hunter
2009-10-23, 08:17 AM
MICHIGAN IS NOT THAT COLD!

(Or at least I try to keep telling myself that)

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-23, 09:56 AM

I can't help but imagine a viking-warlord-esque wedding now, and it is AWESOME!

But yeah. They'd totally murderalize you. Sadface. >.>

phoenixineohp
2009-10-24, 12:19 AM
I tried to convince him to go for a Halloween wedding... but nooooo. :smalltongue:

Yes, like I said, we've been keeping quiet. The great reduction in my posting and the general quiet about things going on were/are partly out of respect for someone and trying to create some space. However, we do enjoy our good news with people and do want to share. Even if we are taking our sweet time at spreading the word!

We got engaged in May. Because I was visiting and wanted to keep quiet to tell my parents in person, that took a while. Then we were so used to being quiet, we've generally stayed that way. Even the best man, who was first choice and we are thrilled he accepted, found out months later! Some of my friends still don't know, since I've lost track at this point. :smallsigh:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-24, 12:21 AM
I tried to convince him to go for a Halloween wedding... but nooooo. :smalltongue:

Yes, like I said, we've been keeping quiet. The great reduction in my posting and the general quiet about things going on were/are partly out of respect for someone and trying to create some space. However, we do enjoy our good news with people and do want to share. Even if we are taking our sweet time at spreading the word!

We got engaged in May. Because I was visiting and wanted to keep quiet to tell my parents in person, that took a while. Then we were so used to being quiet, we've generally stayed that way. Even the best man, who was first choice and we are thrilled he accepted, found out months later! Some of my friends still don't know, since I've lost track at this point. :smallsigh:

A Halloween wedding? That would be so awesome! =O

*snuggleses*...it's good to see you two, though. I had missed you.

phoenixineohp
2009-10-24, 01:29 AM
*deep breath*
Okay, bit the bullet. Official thread is official. This one can now just be for Michigan/freezing to death in snow business. :smallwink:

Quincunx
2009-10-24, 03:51 AM
Keeping a Last to Know list (of people who grumbled "Why am I always the last to know these things?!" when they find out) will provide years of amusement. Trust me on this. :smallbiggrin:

phoenixineohp
2009-10-24, 06:03 AM
*gasp* That is an evil idea!

I must try it!

Thes Hunter
2009-10-24, 07:39 AM
Throw an engagement party. Then invite everyone. No more worries about who knows and who doesn't know. :smallbiggrin:

phoenixineohp
2009-10-24, 02:01 PM
It's been almost six months (eek!) since we got engaged. :smalleek: I'm still feeling funny about trying to find 'we're engaged' announcement cards for the grandparents etc while looking at invites. And that our 'engagement' pictures will be in a completely opposite season. :S We'd like out door pictures, but you can't tell it's snowing inside a studio usually...

thorgrim29
2009-10-24, 02:40 PM
Pfff, cold is a state of mind.
(And for the marines out there: Cold is heat leaving the body!)

And, congrats.

Pyrian
2009-10-24, 03:43 PM
Cold is heat leaving the body!I think that is precisely the problem. :smalltongue:

KerfuffleMach2
2009-10-24, 08:52 PM

I would like to second this. I'm still wearing my shorts.

Anywho, yay to another Michigan person!

And I would like to cast my vote in favor of that Michigan meetup thingy.

One thing to keep in mind about the weather here. Very random. Last December, we had on week of 80 degree weather. Followed and preceded by 40's.

Gullara
2009-10-24, 10:32 PM
I would like to second this. I'm still wearing my shorts.

Anywho, yay to another Michigan person!

And I would like to cast my vote in favor of that Michigan meetup thingy.

One thing to keep in mind about the weather here. Very random. Last December, we had on week of 80 degree weather. Followed and preceded by 40's.

I don't understand these Fahrenheit temperatures, eh?

KerfuffleMach2
2009-10-27, 11:10 PM

Oh, sorry. Let's see...carry the one...divide by pi...

So, one week of mid to high twenties, followed and preceded by a week of low single digits, in Celsius.

Gullara
2009-10-28, 11:21 AM
Oh, sorry. Let's see...carry the one...divide by pi...

So, one week of mid to high twenties, followed and preceded by a week of low single digits, in Celsius.

Ok, that pretty nice weather.

SMEE
2009-10-28, 11:33 AM

It's simple.
Celsius = (Fahrenheit - 32) / 1.8
Fahrenheit = Celsius * 1.8 + 32

Gullara
2009-10-28, 11:36 AM
It's simple.

Too much thinking:smalltongue:

phoenixineohp
2009-10-28, 04:07 PM
It's simple.

... or Google.
Or now that I am a mac, a great little dashboard app that means I make sense when complaining about the weather to Midnight. :smalltongue:

Update: Midnight is off and flying to Chicago before his connector to Detroit! :smallsmile:

Slightly related update: we have found that there is no reasonable way to get from Detroit to Port Huron for a visitor/ someone who doesn't own a car. Or to get from Port Huron to Toronto. Or back. We have investigated planes, trains and automobiles. Nothing. It is a horribly flawed system.

Example: The general 1 to 2 hour drive from Detroit to Port Huron, along the connecting highway is a 12 hour and 48 minute train ride. It happens to go to Battle Creek first.

Yet this is barely unreasonable compared to the train trip from Port Huron to Toronto. That is a 3 to 4 hour drive, directly connected by major highways. Or... a 37 hour and 46 minute train ride. Which goes from Port Huron to Chicago to Buffalo to Toronto. >.<

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-29, 12:00 AM
So, what are the plans for getting his bike up to the Great White North?

Midnight Son
2009-10-29, 07:15 AM
Sold the bike. :smalleek::smallfrown::smallsigh:

Just wasn't feasible and I could use the money. We will buy a new and improved one.

Shadow
2009-10-29, 07:18 AM

Just wasn't feasible and I could use the money. We will buy a new and improved one.
:smallfrown:
:frown:

smellie_hippie
2009-10-29, 07:19 AM
Oh Noes!!! :smallfrown:

But hopefully a nice shiney new one will be just as nice. :smalleek:

Trog
2009-10-29, 10:13 AM

:eek: :frown:

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-29, 05:49 PM

*GASP!* :smalleek:

:frown::frown:

*goes rummaging around for a 'Motorcycle Fund' piggy bank to send to Port Huron*

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-29, 05:52 PM
o.0
:smalleek:
Midnight without his bike.
0.o

I think my brain is in shock.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-29, 05:53 PM
... :smallsigh:. My condolences, biker brother.

:frown:.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-29, 09:08 PM
*wonders if the man has made it safely out of Detroit*

I left him in the good hands of the rental people's. I had to leave before he had gotten the car and was driving off because I had a required class I needed to be at.

*hopes it wasn't a sham organization for the mafia*

Midnight Son
2009-10-30, 08:13 AM
*wonders if the man has made it safely out of Detroit*

I left him in the good hands of the rental people's. I had to leave before he had gotten the car and was driving off because I had a required class I needed to be at.

*hopes it wasn't a sham organization for the mafia*Oh, it totally was, but I got my posse together and, after a short session of splinters under the nails, they gave me a car. Made it to Port Huron right quick, got myself an apartment in Fort Gratiot, turned the car back in, and was whisked off to Canada by a sultry vixen with impeccable taste in men.:smallcool:

phoenixineohp
2009-11-06, 09:47 PM
So, piece of advice for any cross boarder couples out there. If you have two different citizenships in the car and a load of stuff to make an apartment and you are trying to cross to the US side, have a lot of documentation proving that the Canadian does actually want to, and will continue to, live in CANADA. Or, even better, just don't try to cross into the states. You will spend a lot of time talking to boarder guards. And learn what a secondary inspection is. And hand over your car keys while you wait for the search and answer more questions. And so on.
:smalleek:

Getting back into Canada? Still easy as anything so far. :smallsigh:

Gamerlord
2009-11-06, 09:49 PM
Good luck!

KerfuffleMach2
2009-11-06, 09:55 PM
Example: The general 1 to 2 hour drive from Detroit to Port Huron, along the connecting highway is a 12 hour and 48 minute train ride. It happens to go to Battle Creek first.

I've heard from several people that Battle Creek tends to smell like fruit loops in the morning.

I'd rather drive anyway.

Anywho, have fun in Port Huron! And welcome to Michigan!

Oh, if you ever go to the store called Duty Free America there, one of my classmates works there. He's...odd, to say the least.

toddex
2009-11-07, 06:30 PM

Looks like you're from Detroit, you dont know what cold is! Move to the U.P.!!!

edit to the OP

If she is tribal things will be 100% less difficult.