PDA

View Full Version : Locked Thread Idea

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 09:44 AM
I remember reading one thread (can't remember where) that questioned why they couldn't edit locked thread posts. I understand the reason of this and think it's a great idea, but as what Serpentine said in that thread is that if there was a picture or something you want to extract, you are no longer available to in a 50-page closed thread.

So then I just thought of an idea. Why don't you allow the option of "extracting" words or quotes from locked threads. If the mods are able to, allow them to open up a post in locked threads like they're going to edit it, but it doesn't save any changes. That way, fellow playgrounders can access joyous pictures and funny quotes and the thread doesn't change at all.

Of course, standard rules apply when you take quotes to not get flamming or other rule breaking posts, but I think this is a brilliant idea if it can be pulled off.

What do you guys think?

Fawkes
2009-10-21, 09:49 AM
Or you could right click on the picture and select "copy image location".

Haruki-kun
2009-10-21, 09:50 AM
....but if you want to extract a picture, you can right click on it and click "copy image location" and then you've got the URL.

If you want to copy a URL just right click on it and click "copy link location".

If you want to copy text, you can just click Copy and Paste.

There's really nothing you can't extract from a locked thread, except maybe direct quotes.

Mando Knight
2009-10-21, 10:02 AM
There's really nothing you can't extract from a locked thread, except maybe direct quotes.

And even then, it's possible to make a direct call to the universal post number if you want to link to the original source.

Silverraptor
2009-10-21, 11:24 AM
Alright, well it was a thought.

hamishspence
2009-10-21, 12:02 PM
Copy and paste, with the person's name inserted into new quote tags, works.

{quote=Insert Name Here;1}copy and pasted text{/quote}

But with square brackets.

I go out of my way to make sure the name and text are 100% accurate though.

Is this an acceptable way to handle quotes?

(I'm not sure if there is any other way of handling a long string of quotes from different people).