PDA

View Full Version : [see thread] Mundane Beguiler?

Raewyn
2009-10-21, 11:03 AM
So my DM is running a game using the Pathfinder Rules Set, 3.5 for any classes that don't currently exist in PF, and d20 Modern (mostly) for the Wealth and Gun rules. Four out of the five players are using Pathfinder base classes for butt-kicking and name-taking purposes. The fifth wants to play the party face, and wants to use the Charismatic Hero class to do it.

While there will be actual social intrigue this time 'round, I get the feeling that, due to the mehness of d20 Modern base classes, he's going to feel superbly weaksauce compared to everyone else. To prevent this, I suggested the idea of playing a Beguiler, which he didn't like due to the fact that he didn't see his character as a magic-wielding one (which I totally get).

So I turn to you, denizens of the Playground and masters of CharOps, with two questions.

1. Is it possible to make the Charismatic Hero not suck?
2. How possible is it to convert the Beguiler into a mundane party face extraordinaire?

Thanks a whole bunch for reading! I'm eager to see what you guys think! :smallbiggrin:

Temet Nosce
2009-10-21, 11:26 AM
1. Is it possible to make the Charismatic Hero not suck?
2. How possible is it to convert the Beguiler into a mundane party face extraordinaire?

1. In comparison with 3.5 characters? No, not really. I might be wrong I suppose though, I've only had one games experience with the ruleset. Still, from what I recall even the Fast Hero (basically the only class worth playing mechanically) would be incredibly weak in a 3.5 game.

2. RP the spells as something else. Charm Person for example might simply be a social maneuver to portray oneself as trustworthy to a specific individual.

Melamoto
2009-10-21, 11:30 AM
Alternatively, you could think about what such a person would do. If they don't fight, they have brains. BIG brains. So give him such. Skillmonkey ahoy!

Godskook
2009-10-21, 11:32 AM
It'd help to know what this guy plans to do once combat starts. If he plans on just being the best darn face he can be(meaning every last +2 he can find), probably factotum would work for him, while a mildly impressive party face could be made out of just about any class. Personally, if I wanted to make a mundane party face, I'd probably go Human Rogue 1/Warblade X with the feat Able Learner. I'd have all the power of a warblade combined with 5+int skills from the rogue list.

Riffington
2009-10-21, 11:43 AM
So, if it weren't pathfinder I'd say Feat Rogue and you're done. Has all the skills you'd want, the feats are nice if he's a trained combatant, etc. The only problem is that the bonuses pathfinder gives to rogues are mostly talents that turn into extra feats... a feat rogue doesn't need still more of those. So I'd let him invent a few social talents instead of the standard rogue talent list in addition to switching out the sneak attack for the fighter feat progression.