PDA

View Full Version : The Wheel of Time : Eye of the World ; Impossible Cast

Voldecanter
2009-10-21, 03:23 PM
----------------------

WalkingTarget
2009-10-21, 03:51 PM
So I am sure everyone already knows that Robert Jordan's Fantastic Book , Eye of the World is being made into a movie and it is due out in 2010-2011 . A friend and I have currently have had a discussion where we were discussing who would play who . This is what we came up with , over much bickering of course .

Although I personally Feel that the cast for Eye of the World (Exept for Liv Tyler and , Especially the teenage characters) should come from actors that are unknown to Hollywood please enjoy .:smallbiggrin:

Moiraine : Liv Tyler
Lan : Gerard Butler ???
Rand : Jamie Bell
Matt : Shia labeouf/or Micheal Ceria/or Michael Angarano
Perrin : You would have to find an Unknown to play Perrin properly , either that or just use CGI :smallbiggrin:
Min : Ellen Page
Egweane : Kristen Stewart/ Miley Cyrus (But would have to go through massive Formal Acting Training)/or Kate Dennings
Nyneave : Natalie Portman
Trollocs :CGI
Mordeith : CGI
Thom Merillen : Sean Connery/or Ian Mckellen
Elyane : Zooey Deschanel/or Rose McGowen

Who would you Choose ?

Well, I'm not sure I'd drop Liv into the Moiraine role, first off. Setting aside the fact that she's about 10 inches too tall I'm not sure she could pull off the attitude properly. That might be all in the direction though. Nynaeve isn't much taller (so Portman is about right at least).

Maybe Daniel Cudmore (the guy who played Colossus in the x-men movies) as Perrin. You'd have to find somebody even taller for Rand then (which is why Jamie Bell doesn't work; he's shorter than Liv Tyler), however. Don't know enough about him to know if he could act well enough to play one of the primary characters though.

Appearances are important, Rand is very tall and his red hair stand out in the Two Rivers which implies his exotic heritage. Underscoring that is the fact that the Two Rivers' folk pretty much all have brown hair and eyes (so Nynaeve, Egwene, Perrin, and Mat all have similar characteristics that way). Moiraine's lack of height juxtaposes with her great power (at least in the early stages of the story). Perrin has to be believable as a blacksmith.

Edit - honestly, though. I think this would be something better served by having as many unknowns in it as possible. Maybe have Thom be somebody famous (not Connery or McKellen, though). Possibly Elyas or one of the Whitecloaks.

Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo - I suppose that Elaida has always been Louise Fletcher in my own personal cast page. The problem with the "ageless" thing might come into play somewhere unless they're going to CG all of the Aes Sedai to give them a sort of uniform look, regardless of actress age (unless they go the easy way out and just ignore that entirely or only cast younger actresses).

Cheesegear
2009-10-22, 12:00 AM
Moiraine : Liv Tyler
Lan : Gerard Butler ???
Rand : Jamie Bell
Matt : Shia labeouf/or Micheal Ceria/or Michael Angarano
Perrin : You would have to find an Unknown to play Perrin properly , either that or just use CGI :smallbiggrin:
Min : Ellen Page
Egweane : Kristen Stewart/ Miley Cyrus (But would have to go through massive Formal Acting Training)/or Kate Dennings
Nyneave : Natalie Portman
Trollocs :CGI
Mordeith : CGI
Thom Merillen : Sean Connery/or Ian Mckellen
Elyane : Zooey Deschanel/or Rose McGowen

...And no mention of Padan Fain?

Voldecanter
2009-10-22, 01:43 PM
The Talk I had about , Who would the cast be ? , Didn't include padan Fain for the simple reason that either you get Johnny Depp to play him , or look for an Unknown . I personally think that Padan Fain would be a mighty big role to fill with a hollywood actor .

valadil
2009-10-22, 02:19 PM
I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it. Maybe I've succeeded in learning how to shut out all things WoT. Don't worry, I'm not actually posting here to hate on a popular series I couldn't bring myself to enjoy.

Could Helena Bonham Carter work as Moiraine? I think she's got the right look and size. It's not her usual sort of role, but I think she's a good enough actress that she could handle it.

Cheesegear
2009-10-22, 06:46 PM
Didn't include padan Fain for the simple reason that either you get Johnny Depp to play him , or look for an Unknown . I personally think that Padan Fain would be a mighty big role to fill with a hollywood actor .

Johnny Depp!? Why keep casting so many 'flavour of the month' actors? I suspect you keep needing Unknowns because you're trying to get a 'popular club' cast.

Johnny Depp seems to only be able to play weird, ambiguously gay roles. None of which feature in the Wheel of Time.
Miley Cyrus will never be in the Wheel of Time.

I assume you mean John Malkovich would be able to play Fain. Or Jackie Earle Haley. Or, if Milo Ventimiglia could learn how to be a bastard, he might fit the role.

Malcolm McDowell would play Thom Merrilin. Sean Connery and Ian McKellan probably couldn't hack an active role these days. They're pretty old now.

Thomas Jane can play Lan. Or Mazrim Taim (eventually).
Zachary Quinto as Logain. Or Mazrim Taim.
Gerard Bulter could be Gawyn Trakand. Not Lan.
Michael Ironside as Gareth Bryne.

Rand I have no idea. Same with Perrin. Since nobody I can think of looks like them. At all.
Mat would probably be played by someone I hate.

Molly Ringwold twenty years ago would've been a good Elayne.

EleventhHour
2009-10-22, 06:49 PM
Jim Carrey might be able to carry Thom. I wouldn't say perfectly, but I don't think it would be too bad.

WalkingTarget
2009-10-22, 11:43 PM
Jim Carrey might be able to carry Thom. I wouldn't say perfectly, but I don't think it would be too bad.

Only if the director is forceful enough to be able to restrain the crazy. Thom is a master of Daes Dae'mar and one thing that Carrey doesn't bring to mind is crafty. He is capable of playing more serious roles, but I don't know if I could buy him here. The suggestion of Malcolm McDowell is an interesting one, though.

Cheesegear
2009-10-23, 01:39 AM
Thom is a master of Daes Dae'mar and one thing that Carrey doesn't bring to mind is crafty. He is capable of playing more serious roles, but I don't know if I could buy him here. The suggestion of Malcolm McDowell is an interesting amazing one, though.

Fixed.
I hadn't actually thought of it that way until just now. But, now my suggestion of Malcolm McDowell seems like the perfect choice. :smallbiggrin:

I also very much like my choice of Jackie Earle Haley (he played Rorshach of Watchmen if you don't know who he is) as Fain also seems perfect.

Lioness
2009-10-23, 06:16 AM
Just wondering whether they're a) going to film the rest of the series too, and b) going to horribly compress the books. Though they sort of do need it, I can't really see them making a great movie.

Cheesegear
2009-10-23, 06:30 AM
Just wondering whether they're a) going to film the rest of the series too, and b) going to horribly compress the books. Though they sort of do need it, I can't really see them making a great movie.

I guess it would depend on how well the movie does. Eye of the World is easily ended at the end of the book. And they can 'leave it open' for a sequel. But, as a stand-alone movie, EotW works pretty well. Probably one of the few books in the series that does.

The next book(s) will get made if enough money is made. That's how Hollywood works. If the movie sucks (I'm looking at you Golden Compass) the sequels wont get made.

Lioness
2009-10-23, 07:46 AM
I guess it would depend on how well the movie does. Eye of the World is easily ended at the end of the book. And they can 'leave it open' for a sequel. But, as a stand-alone movie, EotW works pretty well. Probably one of the few books in the series that does.

The next book(s) will get made if enough money is made. That's how Hollywood works. If the movie sucks (I'm looking at you Golden Compass) the sequels wont get made.

Thanks. It's been a while since I've read them. I enjoyed the first one, but couldn't remember whether it will work as a stand alone.

*must re-read*

Voldecanter
2009-10-23, 10:10 AM
from what I know , they are only making Eye of the World , but if they are going to tackle the rest of the series , I can see it going well , A-LOT of the content from the books can be over-looked and cut-out if they are doing a movie without sacrificing the overall plot or enjoyment the audience will have .

Brewdude
2009-10-23, 12:47 PM
If the movie does well, the rest of the series really aught to go to TV.

Helanna
2009-10-23, 08:39 PM
from what I know , they are only making Eye of the World , but if they are going to tackle the rest of the series , I can see it going well , A-LOT of the content from the books can be over-looked and cut-out if they are doing a movie without sacrificing the overall plot or enjoyment the audience will have .

It really wouldn't have to even be any plot-related content. Do you know how much shorter the books would be if there were no descriptions of dresses in them? :smalltongue:

But seriously, a lot of stuff can be cut out just by it being a movie. You don't have to take ten paragraphs to describe a city, or an outfit, or a room, you can just show it. So that should actually take care of SOME of the problem. Certainly not all of it, but it should lighten the load.

Voldecanter
2009-10-26, 11:14 AM
One of the Prime examples of shortening the book : Eye of the World is the needless and uneventfull Traveling that Rand and Matt do in each farmhouse ,before they get to that Inn where something actually happens .

:smallbiggrin:And I actually am starting to notice the pages upon pages of dress descriptions :smallbiggrin:

HamHam
2009-10-26, 11:25 AM
Johnny Depp!? Why keep casting so many 'flavour of the month' actors? I suspect you keep needing Unknowns because you're trying to get a 'popular club' cast.

Johnny Depp seems to only be able to play weird, ambiguously gay roles. None of which feature in the Wheel of Time.

Johnny Depp is very good at doing creepy. And is also just a good actor in general (I for one had no idea he was the lead in Corpse Bride until I saw the special features).

However, Fain is kind of a bit part that I doubt would be worth hiring someone like Depp for. He plays a larger role in The Great Hunt, but he's only in like three or four scenes in Eye of the World.

IsaacTheHungry
2009-10-27, 04:36 PM
i have been talking to my brother about an eye of the world movie for a long time and we think we have found the perfect Moiraine we think

Moiraine = Gillian Anderson (AKA Scully from X Files)

Hawriel
2009-10-28, 06:03 AM
Ive had afew wemon in mind for moiraine sence I first read the books.

Morena Baccarin

Firefly, SG-1, and the new V TV show.

Or a 25 year old Carrie Fisher.

Viera Champion
2009-10-29, 04:38 PM
I have one thing to say. I think that the movie isn't going to be as good as the book. Also new wheel of time book preordered.
Also, Miley Cyrus?? Never in my life would I want her in the movie. I can't stand her.

Hawriel
2009-10-29, 06:27 PM
huh, it came out two days ago. Borders has it for 40% off for members. It was about $20 and change for me. Good price for that large of a hardcover book.

Viera Champion
2009-10-29, 08:01 PM
Yes I know all that my aunt works at borders in fact she was the one who preordered it for me. And she preordere it two months ago. Not two days ago.

Helanna
2009-10-30, 08:41 AM
huh, it came out two days ago. Borders has it for 40% off for members. It was about $20 and change for me. Good price for that large of a hardcover book.

Same at Barnes and Noble. I was very pleased.

After having read it, I am convinced that Brandon Sanderson was absolutely the best choice for completing the books.

Voldecanter
2009-10-30, 10:26 AM
I loved Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Series ; that is the partial reason why I even bothered to read the wheel of Time , Because I knew it would have a good ending !