PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How many dice can you throw?

Hal
2009-10-21, 05:33 PM
A thought I was playing with: It's fun to have attacks where you grab a big handful of dice and just go to town. So what kind of attacks would give you the biggest "handful o' dice" attack possible?

My first thought was a wizard with Arcane Strike (on a melee attack, +Xd4 for each spell slot you burn, where X is the level of the spell slot). At level 20, that gives you at least 180d4. I don't feel like calculating bonus spells from having a high Int score.

How high can you take it?

Marillion
2009-10-21, 05:38 PM
Vengeful Gaze of God.

305d6 to the enemy, 200d6 to yourself.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-21, 05:40 PM
I can throw 20-something dice with one hand; that number only increases to about 30 with both.

And, although most games break long before Vengeful Gaze of God is possible, I did get to use it once. :)

jokey665
2009-10-21, 05:42 PM
What is Vengeful Gaze of God and where can I find it?

arguskos
2009-10-21, 05:42 PM
What is Vengeful Gaze of God and where can I find it?
It's an epic spell. You can find it on the d20 SRD or in the Epic Level Handbook.

jokey665
2009-10-21, 05:44 PM
It's an epic spell. You can find it on the d20 SRD or in the Epic Level Handbook.

Ah, many thanks. I've never actually looked at the epic spells before.

Paulus
2009-10-21, 05:44 PM
I once knocked over an entire store's dice counter spilling the little nuggets of number fun across the ground like skittles because they only had the surprise mini packages and I bought TEN and still did not receive my catfolk, by the guy next to me? got three. oh wait...
This is an absolute lie by the way. XD

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-21, 06:28 PM
The largest I've gotten was my Arcane Mechanick's death theros.

4d6 for a blasting Powder Keg
12d6 for exploding Scrap thrall beside him
16d8 from my exploding Arcantrcik torches
30~d8 damage from my other accumulators
4d4 for each of my 8 grenades
4d10 for a lesser heart of.. somethingorother that explodes on death.
I also had a few thousand gold coins, which would've turned into shrapenal. (We ruled 1 damage per 100 coins)
And lastly a houseruled item that was basically a staff of the Magi with 48 charges left, that we were delivering to a Warcaster.

We weren't quite sure if it would explode or not, but I had a WarJack's Cortex, which proobably would explode..

All this in a 10 foot AoE. and at level 3. The party fighter was standing right outside of this range. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2009-10-21, 07:37 PM
Warlock/Binder/Hellfire Warlock//Rogue/Spellthief/etc for whatever the max SA dice is these days (33 I think). Eldritch Blast Sneak Attack people for lots of dice.
Alternately, metamagicked Orbs for crazy thousands of d6es of damage.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-21, 07:50 PM
Shrink item + telekinesis. The first spell on lots of huge-arsed boulders, bound together in crates, and the latter to send up to 15 crates at up to 15 foes.

Good for several thousands of d6s' worth of damage.

Also, a book full of explosive runes. Front and back of each page. Combine with an AoE dispel at minimum CL.

Or just paint a banner with a giant word in outer space, cast an Explosive Spell'd explosive runes on it (it's weightless), then drape it over the moon. Half the planet will be knocked away several thousands of miles (no save), until they're too far away to read the rune any more, then another 10 ft, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 ft traveled.

Yes, I'm evil. Get over it.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-21, 07:53 PM
Oops. Double-post.

LibraryOgre
2009-10-21, 07:55 PM
Not 3.5, but I once tossed 100d6 of damage, legitimately, at level 3 in Palladium Fantasy.

Project_Mayhem
2009-10-21, 08:19 PM
my record was a ~20d10 dice pool (pretty big for that system) for VtM. My very physical, blood buffed, and feral clawed vampire was scaling a cliff.

I critically fumbled the roll.

And the ST dropped the island on me

Alternatively, Chosen of Chaos with two hand weapons and frenzy in warhammer fantasy. Yeah.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-10-21, 08:32 PM
My record thus far has been 60d6. I was playing a dual wand wielding Arcane Trickster. Good times.

Forrestfire
2009-10-21, 08:37 PM
I convinced an ancient gold dragon to drop on an enemy... needless to say... the cleanup was not pretty... :smallwink:

The DM just ruled that the guy underneath was dead... :smallbiggrin:

I never did calculate how much damage it would do...

At 160,000 lbs, as per the Draconomicon, he dropped from roughly 50 feet, so...
5d6 (50ft fall) + 800d6 (160,000 lbs/200) = 805d6 damage to the target, 5d6 damage to the gold...

Any bets on how many d6s a great wyrm would deal?
:smalleek:EDIT: Calculated it: 1,280,000 lbs = 6400d6 +xd6 (where x is the fall height/10)

thubby
2009-10-21, 10:14 PM
with a high level master thrower and some explosive darts i managed to do 60d4 to one guy and slightly less to the guy standing next to him

Another_Poet
2009-10-21, 10:18 PM
I once knocked over an entire store's dice counter spilling the little nuggets of number fun across the ground like skittles because they only had the surprise mini packages and I bought TEN and still did not receive my catfolk, by the guy next to me? got three. oh wait...
This is an absolute lie by the way. XD

Hmm... did you help pick them all up?

Hal
2009-10-21, 10:36 PM
Shrink item + telekinesis. The first spell on lots of huge-arsed boulders, bound together in crates, and the latter to send up to 15 crates at up to 15 foes.

Good for several thousands of d6s' worth of damage.

Also, a book full of explosive runes. Front and back of each page. Combine with an AoE dispel at minimum CL.

Or just paint a banner with a giant word in outer space, cast an Explosive Spell'd explosive runes on it (it's weightless), then drape it over the moon. Half the planet will be knocked away several thousands of miles (no save), until they're too far away to read the rune any more, then another 10 ft, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 ft traveled.

Yes, I'm evil. Get over it.

No offense, but I was kinda thinking stuff that might actually happen in a game. I'm fairly certain any GM I ever play with would smack me in the head with my PHB if I said, "Yes, I want to blow up the moon."

jokey665
2009-10-21, 10:38 PM
No offense, but I was kinda thinking stuff that might actually happen in a game. I'm fairly certain any GM I ever play with would smack me in the head with my PHB if I said, "Yes, I want to blow up the moon."

Hey, if Piccolo could do it, why not an adventurer? :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2009-10-22, 03:20 AM
A third-party supplement (PHFB) has a ninth-level spell called Dice Storm, which lets you roll every die that you own and does that much damage. Save for half.

AgentPaper
2009-10-22, 03:46 AM
Well, since this seems to be open to other systems as well:

Group of 30 Skaven Plague Monks (standard size for me) with banner of hatred. Spread out to a 12-wide front to hit the rear of two enemies. (dwarves, as it so happened) 48d6 to hit, re-rolling to hit if they miss, and then of course rolling all those hits again to wound, and then armor rolls...:smallbiggrin: I'm pretty sure that took at least 100+ d6 rolls to resolve all told.

BobVosh
2009-10-22, 05:30 AM
Sword guy still wins, yet another thread, for this. 195,945,033,039,647,577d6 damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2010735&postcount=38)

Of course you can beat that with a custom epic spell. Nigh infinite damage, and nigh infinite backlash to mitigate the spell.

Nai_Calus
2009-10-22, 05:33 AM
A third-party supplement (PHFB) has a ninth-level spell called Dice Storm, which lets you roll every die that you own and does that much damage. Save for half.

Kevin Cook would destroy the entire frakkin' multiverse with that.

I'd just blow up a small planet, since I only have 1,005.

Myou
2009-10-22, 05:34 AM
Sword guy still wins, yet another thread, for this. 195,945,033,039,647,577d6 damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2010735&postcount=38)

Major Creation can't create anti-matter. :smallannoyed:

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 08:21 AM

The rest is pretty out there, yes...but I routinely carry around a deck of cards, and dump extra spell slots when chilling in town to putting explosive runes on each one.

In the event of running dry on spells, you can now throw/leave cards around. In case of emergency, toss the entire deck into the air, and run like hell.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 08:22 AM
Major Creation can't create anti-matter. :smallannoyed:

Also, Im pretty sure antimatter does not have D&D rules.

hamishspence
2009-10-22, 08:40 AM
Or, just assume it is like platinum- gold- etc-

it costs a fortune to manufacture- giving it a market price of many trillion gold pieces per ounce, therefore the various creation spells can't make it.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-22, 08:43 AM
Or, just assume it is like platinum- gold- etc-

it costs a fortune to manufacture- giving it a market price of many trillion gold pieces per ounce, therefore the various creation spells can't make it.

Well, technically, since it's anti-matter, its price has a large value in anti-gold, or a large negative value in normal gold. Since negative ten million is clearly lower than the price limit on Creation spells...

jseah
2009-10-22, 08:48 AM
see the Jovoc Bomb.

Someone out there managed to dampen a Affinity Fieldx2 loop to a finite amount of damage. The result had to be expressed in Knuth up-arrow notation. On the most conservative estimate.

They had to use special mathematics to deal with the numbers. That antimatter bomb doesn't hold a candle to this one. XD

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 08:55 AM
Well, technically, since it's anti-matter, its price has a large value in anti-gold, or a large negative value in normal gold. Since negative ten million is clearly lower than the price limit on Creation spells...

No. That doesn't follow at all.

Anti-matter is not negative matter, and it's value is not negative. Anti /= negative.

Cyclocone
2009-10-22, 09:03 AM
I'm surprised noone has said 1d2 crusader yet.

About the anti-matter thing: Since it's not really magic any more as much as science, it probably caps at 20d6 anyway; you know, like lava, falling etc.

...Although, if you fell from orbit into an active volcano you might take as much as 40d6 damage...

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-22, 09:06 AM
Well, the most I've ever rolled was when half of my Necrons joined a squad that still had 20 in it, and they all got to Rapid Fire. 60d6 is fun to roll. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, you meant DnD? I'm not big on casters who usually get the most dice, but I've got a Warblade that can roll 1d4+10d6 every other turn by using Swooping Dragon Strike.

Godskook
2009-10-22, 09:07 AM
DFA + Heir of Syberis(+Breath of Syberis) = 55d6 damage, 40 backlash(20 if evil), at-will. Does that help?

Kurald Galain
2009-10-22, 09:26 AM
No. That doesn't follow at all.

Yes it does, it's in the DMG on page -147.

hamishspence
2009-10-22, 09:31 AM
ha. ha. ha.

Anti matter still has mass- still costs money (not anti-money) to make. In small quantities- with a ginormous particle accelerator- is the usual method when you don't have magic :smallamused:

Negative matter is a whole different thing- it's whats used in various theories of wormholes, or faster-than-light travel.

drengnikrafe
2009-10-22, 09:36 AM
I'm reminded of a rogue I once broke. To this day, I'm not sure I used nothing but RAW, and I never got to play it, but...

At 10th level, he attacked by rolling 32d20. If all of them hit, he had to roll 160d6 damage. I think at 20th level, he got up to 64d20, with damage of 704d6 (and took away 128 strength).

thubby
2009-10-22, 09:55 AM
I'm surprised noone has said 1d2 crusader yet.
*googles*
:smallconfused:
alright, that one lost me.

hamishspence
2009-10-22, 10:07 AM
1d2 crusader: it is, as far as I can tell from the descriptions, based on two tricks- first, an ability that allows them to reroll all rolls of 1 to damage until they get a higher number, and second, an ability that allows them to roll an extra dice to damage, each time they roll the maximum on a damage die.

If you can get the damage die down to 1d2: Result- infinite damage loop.

sonofzeal
2009-10-22, 11:46 AM
My personal record is 1848d6, throwing together a Hulking Hurler knock-off on short notice.

Lycanthromancer
2009-10-22, 12:21 PM
If you can get the damage die down to 1d2: Result- infinite damage loop.See: shurikens.

Dr Bwaa
2009-10-22, 07:31 PM
1d2 crusader: Not eligible for the contest, as I believe the point was for you to throw all the dice together, and, strictly speaking, the Crusader build only lets you roll one die at a time, infinitely.

However, I AM surprised that it took the Hulking Hurler so long to come up. If I remember my Hurlers correctly, they can do nigh-infinite damage with the right feats and spells & such; some that are strong enough to do silly things like throw planets at each other (and I definitely remember seeing a build that abused the HH with some ToB Setting Sun (I think) technique that would let you grapple your enemy and throw him into the sun as a standard action. I don't even want to think about how much damage you'd have to roll for those guys :smalltongue:) I know Tempest_Stormwind had a relatively uncheesy (relatively!) HH build (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873078/Hulking_Hurler_build?post_id=338558202#338558202) that does 4096d6 minimum, with only a half-ogre as the base creature.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-22, 07:36 PM
Major Creation is based off Minor Creation, which creates matter. Whether antimatter is matter is arguable.

Myou
2009-10-23, 01:58 PM
Major Creation is based off Minor Creation, which creates matter. Whether antimatter is matter is arguable.

No, it isn't debatable. It isn't matter.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-23, 02:03 PM
It's irrelevant. As a material component, you need some of the matter being created. From a non-magical source.

So, unless you can actually find a non-magical source of antimatter in your campaign world, it's not going to matter in the slightest.

Zaq
2009-10-23, 03:50 PM
From a slightly more practical standpoint, I think that Gestalting a Totemist (It's possible for a Totemist to get more swings per round than anyone else, right? Maybe with Raging Mongoose? And a Thri-Kreen?) with a pile of sneak attack would get a satisfyingly large number of dice. Surely not the MOST, but a satisfying number.

Myou
2009-10-23, 04:40 PM
It's irrelevant. As a material component, you need some of the matter being created. From a non-magical source.

So, unless you can actually find a non-magical source of antimatter in your campaign world, it's not going to matter in the slightest.

By raw Eschew works.

But even by RAW you can't make antimatter, let alone by RAI.