PDA

View Full Version : Fable 3 announced already

SilverSheriff
2009-10-22, 06:06 AM
Apparently the game takes place 50 years after the events of Fable 2 with the protagonist from said game being one of your parents, an evil Monarch being compared to King Henry VIII wrongs your family (i.e. the classic Fable Formula of killing off a parent/sister/dog/3-10 years of your life) and you head a Rebel group forcing said evil monarch out of his comfortable castle and into a small pine box 6 feet under the ground.

link to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fable_3).
link to official Lionhead Studios news page (http://www.lionhead.com/News.aspx?newsid=73).

I say if they keep Peter Molyneux on the team then this game is goign to be a disaster, head probably end up giving the player a 2nd dog or some sort of furry-form...:smallannoyed:

Green Bean
2009-10-22, 06:17 AM
Oh, they're killing off your family in this one? What a bold new direction for this latest installment! :smalltongue:

Seriously, though, I've played the first game + the expansion pack, and story writing certainly wasn't the game's strong suit. Also, glad to see that they've fallen into the whole "technological advancement = crime, injustice and poverty" trap.

SilverSheriff
2009-10-22, 06:21 AM
I know, they should seriously take a step back and think about this.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-22, 07:42 AM
This made my day:

The really strange thing about leadership is that there's a common thread that has existed for centuries in all cultures. Whenever politicians, rebels or juntas are climbing to power they make promises, and very often these promises are not delivered on. We want to give a sense of that, so as you're building up your forces, as you're being a rebel, you will find this opportunity to promise things to get more power. Then after you've become leader, the opportunity to live on those promises has real consequences.

He's already done a pretty good job of giving me a sense of promises-undelivered-upon, to be perfectly honest.

Dihan
2009-10-22, 08:28 AM
Molyneux should really learn not to speak. That way his games would have a chance of being good. Right now he overhypes them to oblivion and back rendering anyone foolish enough to believe his promises disappointed and left with a game, that without all the hype, may have actually stood a decent chance.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-22, 08:30 AM
Key to enjoying a fable game: Do not look at anything whatsoever and just play it when it comes out.

That being said, goodbye thread!

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-22, 09:14 AM
Key to enjoying a fable game: Do not look at anything whatsoever and just play it when it comes out.

That being said, goodbye thread!

For some people, that key should include, "Don't play the prequel." Fable 1 sort of ruined Fable 2 for me as I personally found it much more enjoyable. Given that they are so similar, Fable 2 was always going to seem lacking.

Somebloke
2009-10-22, 10:58 AM
Erm....can you get Fable I on Xbox? (thanks a lot, Myshlaevsky.)

As for the game, I loved Fable II (although it needed to be larger- possibly I am just being spoilt by Oblivion) so I am already geeking out over this. The idea of more choices, more consequences appeals to me greatly (although I always took the goody-two-shoes options anyway).

Avilan the Grey
2009-10-22, 11:30 AM
I never got Fable I though I was curious. Fable II... I almost got it and then I read about it on Shamus' blog, and damn I'm glad I didn't get it. Just the "evil points for eating meat" deal is enough for not touching it at all, all other weird stuff aside. It's a good thing Mr Genius is not pushing his morals on anyone, right :smallwink:

Fable III... I will read the reviews and then make up my mind.

d12
2009-10-22, 11:31 AM
As for the game, I loved Fable II (although it needed to be larger- possibly I am just being spoilt by Oblivion) so I am already geeking out over this.

Possibly not quite the same sentiment, but oh man, I've had more than one game at least slightly ruined by "it's not Oblivion." :smalltongue: There just don't seem to be enough open-world RPGs for my taste. I just really like the idea of an option for "hey forget the story, I'm going to make my own adventure." And that's aside from the giggle-inducing idea of leaving NPCs hanging for months while the big damn hero spends all his time wandering aimlessly across the countryside killing random monsters and exploring the odd dungeon just to see what's there. :smallbiggrin:

I liked Fable 2 well enough, despite the god-awful voice work. Of course, the first I ever saw of the game is when a friend rented it, so I hadn't heard any of the promises old Pete made regarding the earth-shattering features it was supposed to include. I never really played much of the first Fable though. It seemed kind of crash-happy for me and something about the way the camera moved made me extremely nauseous. Not really sure about Fable 3. I'll probably endeavor to keep myself out of the loop and wait for the reviews/youtube videos to come out.

Just the "evil points for eating meat" deal is enough for not touching it at all, all other weird stuff aside.

Yeah that was kind of stupid. I just didn't bother eating anything, except for celery to thin down a bit. Never really got into the fashion stuff either, aside from getting a "General Washington outfit" early on, mostly for the lulz. It did kind of suck that the hat obscured my character's horns though. I performed unspeakable acts to earn those things, though a bit of it was just from sacrificing bards, which I would figure would give good points, if anything. :smallbiggrin:

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-22, 11:32 AM
Erm....can you get Fable I on Xbox? (thanks a lot, Myshlaevsky.)

As for the game, I loved Fable II (although it needed to be larger- possibly I am just being spoilt by Oblivion) so I am already geeking out over this. The idea of more choices, more consequences appeals to me greatly (although I always took the goody-two-shoes options anyway).

Yeah, I think Fable: The Lost Chapters is backwards compatible on the 360 - and it was originally released on the first Xbox.

Gullara
2009-10-22, 11:41 AM
Personally I think the fable games are good, even if they are lacking in some areas. But I don't let that bother me.

FoE
2009-10-22, 11:52 AM
I actually never played the first Fable, but I did play Fable 2. On the whole, I thought it was a pretty good game. I'm a bit surprised that someone said the voice acting was bad — to me, that was one of the strengths of the game. I also enjoyed the gameplay and the humour was terrific. Also, the game was surprisingly scary in parts.

The downside were plot holes large enough to fling a troll through and the comments made while working at a job. The bar wasn't too bad, but you could go crazy working as a blacksmith or a woodcutter. "What's that? You got this recipe from a crazy old woman in the woods? Thanks for telling me that FIFTY ****ING TIMES!" Also, civilian displacement was way not worth the amount of work you put into it, nor was marriage.

Somebloke
2009-10-22, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I think Fable: The Lost Chapters is backwards compatible on the 360 - and it was originally released on the first Xbox.

I'm perfectly sure that my girlfriend will entirely understand abandoning our plans to go out this weekend to instead root around video stores looking for said xbox games.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-22, 03:00 PM
I'm perfectly sure that my girlfriend will entirely understand abandoning our plans to go out this weekend to instead root around video stores looking for said xbox games.

While you're at it, get Morrowind if you haven't played it already.

Somebloke
2009-10-22, 03:10 PM
While you're at it, get Morrowind if you haven't played it already.

Played it. Beat it. Explored it all. Modded the living hell out of it (PC). Loved every moment of it.

Timeplitters 2 on the xbox looks like some stupid old-school shooter fun.

Jeivar
2009-10-22, 03:11 PM
Just the "evil points for eating meat" deal

SSSSSSSSSSSSSERIOUSLY!!???!!

NeoVid
2009-10-22, 03:16 PM
SSSSSSSSSSSSSERIOUSLY!!???!!

Yes.

Also, in Fable 1, having long hair made you evil and having a shaved head made you good.

I instantly realized the head developers of the first game must have all been bald.

That said, Fable 2 was damn fun except for being massively bug riddled. I hope this time they don't release the game until it's complete.

Mewtarthio
2009-10-22, 03:17 PM
Actually, you get "corruption" points, not evil points. Evil characters are deranged serial killers, while corrupt characters are gluttonous, rent-gouging landlords.

Croverus
2009-10-22, 03:23 PM
Case in point I made a fat guy with a halo! He was very good, like, saved kittens from trees, let himself be aged, all that jazz. But he liked meat pies. And he did put the shop prices up a bit, the houses he kept the same. So he was fat, had bad skin, but blue eyes and a halo over his head. It was funny. Not as funny as my pue-evil, gun-toting deva who wore pink pigtails and neon yellow dresses, but hey, it's better than the generic pure-good guy.

Jeivar
2009-10-22, 03:26 PM
Yes.

Also, in Fable 1, having long hair made you evil and having a shaved head made you good.

. . .

Whaaaaaa . . . ?!?!?!?

FoE
2009-10-22, 03:27 PM
Actually, you get "corruption" points, not evil points. Evil characters are deranged serial killers, while corrupt characters are gluttonous, rent-gouging landlords.

Mewthario is correct. The only meat that gives you Evil points in Fable 2 are Crunch Chicks. I'm sorry, but if eating live baby chicks isn't evil, I don't know what is.

NeoVid
2009-10-22, 03:28 PM
. . .

Whaaaaaa . . . ?!?!?!?

Oh, and getting divorced was by far the most evil thing you could do, far more evil points than murder.

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-22, 03:29 PM
There's a lot of things that need to be fixed with Fable to make me even rent it this time around. First of all, Moleneux (sp?) needs to be given a paddle ball ad locked in a closet while everyone else works on the game.

Now lets address a few points.

First the story. In Fable 1, your hometown was burned to the ground the minute you turned your back, leaving you orphaned for the BBEG's lackey to come and let you know that you are a hero. The next few years of your life are mainly screwing around training and developing a rival. So right there we have a fairly common cliche but it works.

Everything is fine and good for a while. Your main goal is to make people respect you whether it be for your good deeds or because you'll kill them and their families for not praising you. One you finally win the crucible, the BBEG makes himself known and now your mission is to put a boot up his ass which you inevitably do (twice if you play TLC)

The story of Fable 1 was fairly open and shut, and while not particularly unique, it was good enough to pay $30 and a few hours for.

Then we have Fable 2 in which an old man shoots you and your sister in the face when you're just children and your goal from that point is to put a boot up his ass. First off, why was the character an orphan? Who were his/her parents? Why was it just him and his sister that had the heroic blood? Why did the hero's guild die out? There are far too many plot holes here. Whats worse is that the game leave on a cliffhanger with Theresa (clearly the protagonist's sister from the first one) taking a tower of ultimate power and that's it.

Mechanically speaking there are a number of things.

First off, guns were underpowered. Unless you had one of the unique ones, you weren't going to put nearly enough shots out to drop a group of guards. A firearm should have A LOT more power than a box, but be more expensive and require more expensive ammo as well as taking longer to load. A crossbow or bow would be acceptable for stealth characters but sadly there was little to no stealth in either game.

Melee stayed basically the same, you just smash things until they die. Light weapons were favorable until you find the OMG awesome! blade which in Fable 1 was not gained through an epic quest but was simply purchased in a fricking store. The best sword in fable 2 wasn't much harder you just had to run through a piss-easy dungeon and it was right there at the exit.

Spells, I have to say were the worst. The only way for a mage to really survive was the either rank up time stop with a single offense spell or have a 2nd melee player hold off the baddies long enough to charge up. I understand the reasoning now that spells cost no mana to use but i'd rather spend a few gold stocking up on mana potions rather than having my chest ventilated just trying to charge up a decent kill spell.

Here was how combat went for a mage.

Step one, cast level 1 time stop.
Step two, cast level 5 time stop.
Step three, cast level 5 kill spell.

Anything else would make you wind up dead.

Speaking of dead...lets have actual death this time. No resurrection phials, no getting back up after a small xp deduction. No, when you die, you're dead, and you stay dead. Every other game does it because it works. Its like its being made for small children to play when right around the corner there's booze, blood, and whores for the player to have fun with.

FoE
2009-10-22, 03:30 PM
Oh, and getting divorced was by far the most evil thing you could do, far more evil points than murder.

That was a bit silly, but let's be clear: your spouse would only divorce you if you were a real jerk. You either abandoned your spouse or abused them. That doesn't quite justify it, but it goes a little way towards explaining it.

Also, murder was treated as a crime, meaning that if you got caught for killing somebody, you also had to pay a big fine, perform a sidequest for the guards as a community service or resist arrest and fight off the guards. No one arrested you for getting divorced.

@V: I prefered Raise Dead.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-22, 03:32 PM
I have to say that guns aren't that underpowered once you can start making headshots; time stop in Fable 2 is also seriously preferable to time stop in Fable 1. Or as I called it at the time, I win.

FoE
2009-10-22, 03:43 PM
First off, why was the character an orphan? Who were his/her parents? Why was it just him and his sister that had the heroic blood? Why did the hero's guild die out?

You had to read some of the books and other details to find out why the Heroes Guild died out. Basically, the commoners revolted and threw down the guild because they had grown too arrogant. (There was a tidbit of info stating that the development of guns had made magic largely irrelevant. And there was some truth to that.)

I agree there were some giant Plot Holes in Fable 2, but there were a lot of smart things done with the story as well.

There are far too many plot holes here. Whats worse is that the game leave on a cliffhanger with Theresa (clearly the protagonist's sister from the first one) taking a tower of ultimate power and that's it.

I thought that was pretty clever, since it basically explains Theresa's involvement in the plot, as well as why she let the Hero languish in the Spire for ten years (she was waiting for it to be completed). The whole thing was a massive Xanatos Gambit (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit) on her part.

Also, guns were way stronger once you got to higher levels, as Myshlaevsky said.

NeoVid
2009-10-22, 03:51 PM
Huh... I play mostly guns/magic after low levels in Fable 2. Level 1 Time Stop, level 3 Raise Dead (aka Summon Invincible Tanks), Own Everything With Red Dragon Headshots/Level 5 Shock or Vortex (if there are handy cliffs).

And the end of 2 really got me looking forward to 3.

Also, the best sword in Fable 2 wasn't the one from that quest: it was a Master katana slotted with Ghoul and Lucky Charm... or if you had the DLC, one slotted with Ghoul, Lucky Charm, Devastation and whatever you put in the fourth slot.

FoE
2009-10-22, 04:05 PM
Personally, I didn't think Vortex was that great. Also, it was good to build ranks in Fireball when fighting Hollow Men.

Use a Blunderbuss with lots of Accuracy and Speed, and you're as powerful as any melee guy. The best gun in the game was the one belonging to Farmer Giles.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-22, 04:06 PM
I'm not getting the game unless they go more back to fable 1. here's what they need before I play it again.

actual armor
longbows
More spells. more like fable 1
more weapons(whips, flails, spiked chains, meteor hammers, swordchucks I DON'T CARE. I just want more variety.)
better plot. (ugh. Fable 2 left a bad taste in my mouth)

in fact they should just combine Fable and Morrowind and it'll be good.

FoE
2009-10-22, 04:33 PM
I'm not getting the game unless they go more back to fable 1. here's what they need before I play it again.

actual armor
longbows

What's wrong with guns?

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-22, 04:38 PM
What's wrong with guns?

I have to be honest; I agree here. Guns were neat, but firing them never gave me the kick of Timestop, Multishot and going to town with the Bow of Skorm in the first game. Favourite Fable character was an archer.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-22, 04:41 PM
What's wrong with guns?

I just don't like guns in games unless I have no other option usually. In Fable they just felt WRONG. and I mean WRONG wrong.

Trazoi
2009-10-22, 04:58 PM
I enjoyed Fable and its sequel, mostly because they had a certain silliness about them that was entertaining. My biggest gripe in both was the main plot, which tended to be darker, serious(er) and just generally not as fun as the sidequests or just generally hanging out in Albion. The overview of the plot for Fable 3 however sounds like an interesting premise for a main plot, so it's sounds promising.

In general I liked the changes in Fable 2. There was a lot more to do in between quests, guns were a fun change from the usual fantasy fare, and I actually liked the removal of armour as it encouraged you to dress up your hero up any which way you like. Main problem was the plot, which was rather meh.

FoE
2009-10-22, 04:59 PM
It's a subjective trope. Personally, I liked rifles better than the stinky crossbows. And the blunderbusses make a cool thundering BOOM when you shot them.

There was a lot more to do in between quests, guns were a fun change from the usual fantasy fare, and I actually liked the removal of armour as it encouraged you to dress up your hero up any which way you like. Main problem was the plot, which was rather meh.

Yeah, I agree. Just gotta work on that plot, which pretty much sucked.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-22, 05:02 PM
That was a bit silly, but let's be clear: your spouse would only divorce you if you were a real jerk. You either abandoned your spouse or abused them. That doesn't quite justify it, but it goes a little way towards explaining it.

There was a glitch that made them divorce you, walk off and immediately die upon leaving the area. Happened to me. I dunno what triggered it, but she certainly wasn't unhappy, considering I visited every couple days, left her a huge allowance and kept bringing gifts and *ahem* whenever she wanted.

FoE
2009-10-22, 05:08 PM
There was a glitch that made them divorce you, walk off and immediately die upon leaving the area. Happened to me. I dunno what triggered it, but she certainly wasn't unhappy, considering I visited every couple days, left her a huge allowance and kept bringing gifts and *ahem* whenever she wanted.

I ran into the glitch where I literally couldn't find my wife, and my little daughter was like a zombie who never responded to me. When she divorced me, I started my game over.

Overall, marriage is a pain in the ass, much like RL.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-22, 05:14 PM
I ran into the glitch where I literally couldn't find my wife, and my little daughter was like a zombie who never responded to me. When she divorced me, I started my game over.

Overall, marriage is a pain in the ass, much like RL.

That reminds me. I really, really want to opportunity to have your son/daughter grow up to be an Adventurer in this game.

Somebloke
2009-10-22, 05:51 PM

That was a glitch? I just thought the game was making some vicious point concerning women.

Somebloke
2009-10-22, 05:52 PM
That reminds me. I really, really want to opportunity to have your son/daughter grow up to be an Adventurer in this game.

Apparently if you have a saved game from Fable II you should hang onto it...

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-22, 06:01 PM
Apparently if you have a saved game from Fable II you should hang onto it...

Normally I would say, "Aw, damn. I'm gonna have to buy this now." This is Fable, though - so saying something will be in the game actually makes it less likely to happen.

Vic_Sage
2009-10-22, 06:06 PM
God unless the combat and art design *Seriously despise the character design for Fable* pass.

The Tygre
2009-10-22, 06:07 PM
Me and my friend had a lot of fun with Fable II. He was literally obsessed with it for a little while. I still start up a game every now and then, just for fun. To be frank, though, it just isn't Morrowind for me. And after my modded version, it never would be. I could already do everything in Morrowind that I could do in Fable; get married, have children, buy a house, simply move in to an ultra house with an underwater lake and strippers (I think that was actually a vampire mod), perform menial tasks for fun, and even have a dog. Hell, I could have a -dragon-.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-22, 06:58 PM
That was a glitch? I just thought the game was making some vicious point concerning women.

Nope. Glitch. Apparently not too difficult to trigger, either. Lots of people got it.

Juhn
2009-10-22, 07:55 PM
...That wasn't supposed to happen? I kept visiting my wives constantly (so much so that I couldn't really do anything else) so they wouldn't spontaneously divorse me and then commit suicide.

NeoVid
2009-10-22, 08:05 PM
Personally, I didn't think Vortex was that great.

It was the most fun by far, since it can toss enemies around, and if that kills them, it's worth a ton of bonus XP. Also, it completely incapacitated the enemies effected until they got back up.

Tragically, at high levels it's totally outclassed by Shock and its hitting 8 enemies for the second-highest damage in the game while stunning them all.

Trazoi
2009-10-22, 08:21 PM
Nope. Glitch. Apparently not too difficult to trigger, either. Lots of people got it.
Yup, happened to me too, right before the quest to head off to the Spire It was rather annoying but the timing made it easy to work into the character's motivations. :smallwink:

Has it been fixed, as I'd like to replay the game sometime soon and I'd like to avoid a repeat occurrence.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-22, 08:38 PM
Yup, happened to me too, right before the quest to head off to the Spire It was rather annoying but the timing made it easy to work into the character's motivations. :smallwink:

Has it been fixed, as I'd like to replay the game sometime soon and I'd like to avoid a repeat occurrence.

No idea if it's been fixed, but it only happend to me once.

On Fable 3, I think it'll be a good game.

All it needs is a better story. And better combat. And more interesting items. And a spouse that's not identical to the rest of the random people. And decent charcters overall. And more interesting quests. And Peter Molyneux needs to be burned on a cross, preferably with George Lucas there too.

Do that, and it'll be great. I'm not a hard person to please after all. :smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2009-10-22, 10:31 PM
I thought that was pretty clever, since it basically explains Theresa's involvement in the plot, as well as why she let the Hero languish in the Spire for ten years (she was waiting for it to be completed). The whole thing was a massive Xanatos Gambit (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit) on her part.

I remember the major speculation, that would solve a lot of plot stupidity, on Shamus' blog is that she really is the Big Bad in the series.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-22, 10:34 PM
I remember the major speculation, that would solve a lot of plot stupidity, on Shamus' blog is that she really is the Big Bad in the series.

I've always thought so, which made me really hate having to run around doing quests for something I trusted not a jot in Fable 2.

Xenogears
2009-10-23, 01:11 AM
I was always confused by how she managed to recover so easily from me shanking her for ultimate power...

Either way Fable 1 was really good. Fable 2 just didnt feel as fun to me. It kinda went for a darker theme and the best part of Fable 1 was the humor (plus murdering towns and having them praise me as holy incarnate a week later).

FoE
2009-10-23, 02:17 AM
There was quite a bit of humour in Fable 2. :smallconfused:

Aotrs Commander
2009-10-23, 05:28 AM
I played the first one on PC, and absolutely nothing inspired me to get the second, nor any more games. It was an okay game. But that was all. Funnily enough, I said of Fable what Yahtzee said of Fable 2 "you can, but why would you want to." Nothing really seemed worth doing. Also, I play games for the plot, mostly, and Fable was considerably short on it.

Also, I hate animal companions, especially if they're dogs, so that put me right off. (I can tell you right now the wardog in Dragon Age, like Junkyard from Fallout 3 before him, is going to be put in a safe place and never used.) I mean, games designers, show some creativity; if I have to have a pet, at least give me a choice of something more cool than an utterly moribund, overdone canine, like a hyeana or compsognathus or mini-dragon or spider or an anomalocaris or something. Ahem. Off topic rant over...

Avilan the Grey
2009-10-23, 05:29 AM
Also, I hate animal companions, especially if they're dogs, so that put me right off. (I can tell you right now the wardog in Dragon Age, like Junkyard from Fallout 3 before him, is going to be put in a safe place and never used.) I mean, games designers, show some creativity; if I have to have a pet, at least give me a choice of something more cool than an utterly moribund, overdone canine, like a hyeana or compsognathus or mini-dragon or spider or an anomalocaris or something. Ahem. Off topic rant over...

Nitpicking, because I can: Fallout 3. Dogmeat. :smallbiggrin: (Hey! Ninjad by your editing!)

I agree with the last part though, especially if you are in a fantasy setting.

Aotrs Commander
2009-10-23, 05:35 AM
Nitpicking, because I can: Fallout 3. Dogmeat. :smallbiggrin: (Hey! Ninjad by your editing!)

I agree with the last part though, especially if you are in a fantasy setting.

Yes, sorry, still got the name wrong then. Which shows you how long it was before the dog went back to the vault, doesn't it...

Avilan the Grey
2009-10-23, 05:40 AM
Yes, sorry, still got the name wrong then. Which shows you how long it was before the dog went back to the vault, doesn't it...

Well he is useful after the Broken Steel DLC; a glitch(?) gives him about 15000 Hp, so you don't have to babysit him in front of Behemoths and Reavers.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-23, 11:20 AM
Well he is useful after the Broken Steel DLC; a glitch(?) gives him about 15000 Hp, so you don't have to babysit him in front of Behemoths and Reavers.

And if he dies, you can take Puppies! To get another dog.

Dogmeat's puppies are also better then him in combat, actually.

lobablob
2009-10-23, 11:30 AM
Apparently Peter Molyneux intends to add micro transactions to fable 3. A single player game. I Though dlc was a pretty smart way of taking more of our money, but this is pretty much genius. I'm sure he's going to be very popular soon.

Found here (http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=13537)

Mystic Muse
2009-10-23, 12:40 PM
I was always confused by how she managed to recover so easily from me shanking her for ultimate power...

I'm guessing Fable 2 retroactively assumes you threw away the sword of aeons for avo's tear. you know, the GOOD ultimate power.:smallwink: of course sword of Aeons looks so much cooler. I just can't kill Theresa. I find her to be freaking awesome.

to those Suggesting it. Theresa is probably not evil. And since from what I can tell the god of this game is such a moron I'm not accepting word of god on this either.:smallbiggrin::smalltongue: There's possibly something that happened in her past that changed her view on things but I'm guessing she has a good reason for wanting control of the spire. Really though, if she was evil would she give the world destroying powers to the hero?

FoE
2009-10-23, 03:44 PM
Fable 2 is actually set something like 500 years after the original. The only piece of lore that carries over from the first game was that the Hero destroyed the Jack of Blades' dragon host and threw the mask into lava.

Croverus
2009-10-23, 03:55 PM
Fable 2 is actually set something like 500 years after the original. The only piece of lore that carries over from the first game was that the Hero destroyed the Jack of Blades' dragon host and threw the mask into lava.

Well that and you can see the burnt and flooded remains of the town that the hero from Fable 1 was raised in.

FoE
2009-10-23, 04:00 PM
Note, however, that the town wasn't destroyed as a result of the first Fable. Oakvale was turned into Wraithmarsh as a result of Reaver's deal with the Shadow Court.

Stormthorn
2009-10-23, 06:13 PM
No, when you die, you're dead, and you stay dead.

Would you be able to load your save?

All it needs is a better story. And better combat. And more interesting items. And a spouse that's not identical to the rest of the random people. And decent charcters overall. And more interesting quests. And Peter Molyneux needs to be burned on a cross, preferably with George Lucas there too.

If you hate the series and the creator so much why are you posting on this thread?

God unless the combat and art design *Seriously despise the character design for Fable* pass.
No dont change that! I like that.
Also, no one would buy the third game who liked the other two if you changed the art style.

It seems that the games get a lot of hate everywhere i go online. But when i talk to people IRL i get mostly positive responses. Im confused.

I liked that game. It made me feel more badass than any other rpg ever. I get beat down, my badass hero just gets back up, parries a bandits sword blow, and then impales him from behind in slow motion.
Actualy the character i had that did that was a grizzled lesbian soldier.

Avilan the Grey
2009-10-23, 06:21 PM
to those Suggesting it. Theresa is probably not evil. And since from what I can tell the god of this game is such a moron I'm not accepting word of god on this either.:smallbiggrin::smalltongue: There's possibly something that happened in her past that changed her view on things but I'm guessing she has a good reason for wanting control of the spire. Really though, if she was evil would she give the world destroying powers to the hero?

Well as I said I have not played it, but these are the argument I remember:
Basically she sets everything up so that your end up trigging the handover of the spire to her. The problem is that for the scheme to play out, she must have planned your sister getting killed, your family getting killed and your dog getting killed. And after all that she takes the spire for herself.

FoE
2009-10-23, 06:58 PM
Basically she sets everything up so that you end up trigging the handover of the spire to her. The problem is that for the scheme to play out, she must have planned your sister getting killed, your family getting killed and your dog getting killed. And after all that she takes the spire for herself.

Planning for the future becomes significantly easier when you can see the future.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-23, 07:12 PM
another thing I'd like to point out. There's a chance she was an immortal when you impaled her.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-23, 10:48 PM
If you hate the series and the creator so much why are you posting on this thread?

Well, firstly, I hate Peter Molyneux because he's, to be frank, an idiot.

And I don't hate Fable. I like it.

I just don't think it's a very good game.

Avilan the Grey
2009-10-24, 05:10 AM
Planning for the future becomes significantly easier when you can see the future.

Of course. Providing you can change it. Otherwise it just sucks to see the future.
She reeks of Evil Mastermind, to me.

Besides, how come she only teleports you when she needs your help?

(Another issue that did turn me off the game was the fact that the man directly involved in killing everything you ever loved dies off screen!!! I don't even get to make him eat my sword backwards? What's the point then?)

Trazoi
2009-10-24, 05:44 AM
She reeks of Evil Mastermind, to me.
Spoilered as it discusses some major Fable 2 points:

It's not explicitly stated clearly, but I found it heavily implied Theresa was pulling everyone's strings to some degree, including Lucien's. She did seem to say some mighty suspicious things just before Lucien's men turned up. It's been a while since I've played the game, but the biggest two examples that spring to my mind were:
a) the end, where she goes missing just after the ritual with all the heroes and just before Lucien turns up, and
b) after performing the ritual with Hannah/Hammer, where Theresa says something along the lines of Hammer needing a push to take up the mantle as Hero of Strength... just before Lucien's men barge into the Temple of Light and kill her father.

Stormthorn
2009-10-24, 10:37 AM
Well, firstly, I hate Peter Molyneux because he's, to be frank, an idiot.

And I don't hate Fable. I like it.

I just don't think it's a very good game.

The problem being that without him it wouldnt be a game at all.

I dont like Hideo Kojima and his Metal Gear games but removing him from the picture wont make them any better.

Molneux might not be good at keeping his mouth shut (not a factor for me, i dont listen much to hype) but would the series really be better with the removal of a guy that envisioned it in the first place? He was part of the series Icons for petes sake. The man behind Populus.

Of course, i also dont understand how you can like a game you think is bad. That i dont think i will ever understand.

EleventhHour
2009-10-24, 10:47 AM
Fable 1 : Really easy if you know what you're doing. (Archery. Bow damage goes through all armour, and silver was just for being mean to Balverines.)
Fable 2 : Really easy once you get the right skills. (I mean seriously, once again the ranged weapons own all. The Clockwork/Turret Gun + limb targetting and the slowtime where you can't run out of ammo = continous headshot and death to everything in sight.)
Fable 3 : I'm going to try it. ( I wonder what time period thier putting this one in?)

Mystic Muse
2009-10-24, 01:54 PM
I wonder what time period thier putting this one in?

if the OP is correct 50 years after the second.:smallfurious:

Ikialev
2009-10-24, 02:12 PM
I want a cyberpunk Fable 4, then.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-10-24, 02:56 PM
I played Fable 1 (not Fable two, because I heard it was exactly the same) and thought it was great and the most interactive thing until I played a better game (I can't remember which one) and realized that it wasn't interactive at all. No matter what options you choose, good or bad, it's always the same damn thing.

I had fun playing it at the time, but I have a feeling I probably wouldn't have fun playing it now.

As for Fable 3, I suppose I'll just have to wait and see. Although if it's anything like what I hear Fable 2 is, it probably isn't worth it. The linear storytelling and shallow character customization do seem to be staples of the series from what I can tell.

SilverSheriff
2009-10-26, 01:33 AM
I want a cyberpunkModern Fable 4, then.

I think this is the direction that they are going in.