PDA

View Full Version : A Ridiculous Artificier Idea

AtwasAwamps
2009-10-22, 11:24 AM
So I had a completely ludicrous and terrible idea I would like to share. This is completely a flavor oriented concept that involves heavy item customization but I think would be incredibly fun to roleplay.

First, we take an artificier. A slightly deranged, gung-ho artificier.

Then we take a light crossbow.

Then we BREAK the light crossbow, removing the bow part and leaving us with the butt and stock, IE, the primitive makings of a gun.

Then we add a wand chamber.

Now, we have what looks to be a useless crossbow as, in fact, a magic shooting gun-thing. Nifty to start with and probably something I’d need to talk to a DM about, certainly! But wait!

I haven’t even gotten to the ludicrous and terrible part.

I want to make a wand “drum”. Basically, a cylindrical chamber that holds three wands and is integrated into the makeshift weapon. You would rotate the drum, slide a switch forward to push the appropriate want into place, slide it back to pull the wand back into the drum. I’m imagining something fairly small, about three wands worth of size. Would that be possible in “DnD” technology levels, with a class that can make things like constructs and what not? Would this have any gamebreaking effects? Really it’s just like carrying a few wants and switching between them, it would just look really cool.

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions? Just want to see how it could work.

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-22, 11:31 AM

Needs to be belt fed!

Deth Muncher
2009-10-22, 11:33 AM
So I had a completely ludicrous and terrible idea I would like to share. This is completely a flavor oriented concept that involves heavy item customization but I think would be incredibly fun to roleplay.

First, we take an artificier. A slightly deranged, gung-ho artificier.

Then we take a light crossbow.

Then we BREAK the light crossbow, removing the bow part and leaving us with the butt and stock, IE, the primitive makings of a gun.

Then we add a wand chamber.

Now, we have what looks to be a useless crossbow as, in fact, a magic shooting gun-thing. Nifty to start with and probably something I’d need to talk to a DM about, certainly! But wait!

I haven’t even gotten to the ludicrous and terrible part.

I want to make a wand “drum”. Basically, a cylindrical chamber that holds three wands and is integrated into the makeshift weapon. You would rotate the drum, slide a switch forward to push the appropriate want into place, slide it back to pull the wand back into the drum. I’m imagining something fairly small, about three wands worth of size. Would that be possible in “DnD” technology levels, with a class that can make things like constructs and what not? Would this have any gamebreaking effects? Really it’s just like carrying a few wants and switching between them, it would just look really cool.

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinions? Just want to see how it could work.

Welllll...there's the Rod of Many Wands in CMage, which holds three wands and shoots them all at the same time, draining X charges per wand where X is the number of wands in the rod.

So if you used that...is that what you're looking for?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-22, 11:36 AM
I actually had an Artificer who did exactly this, with one exception.

Instead of a hand-rotated, 1-wand-at-a-time device, this was, for all intents and purposes, a gatling cannon. It worked like this:

Firing the first wand cost 2 charges. Firing the second wand cost 3 charges. Firing the third wand cost 4 charges...all the way up to the 8th wand. It burned charges like candy, but, when something absolutely positively had to be killed yesterday, Gideon's Cannon never disappointed.

After all, most enemies can't stand, say, 8 Scorching Rays to the face. :smallbiggrin:

AtwasAwamps
2009-10-22, 11:44 AM
Nah, I'm not trying to fire them all at once (though that is awesome).

I just want to have a badass and nifty way to switch wands, rather than gain any real mechanical advantage.

"Precision job...switchin' ta da Magic Missile cartridge."

"Crowded room..." ::click click:: "TIme to burn!"

"How big is 'e? Hell with that!" ::loads disintegrate::

Deth Muncher
2009-10-22, 11:46 AM
Nah, I'm not trying to fire them all at once (though that is awesome).

I just want to have a badass and nifty way to switch wands, rather than gain any real mechanical advantage.

"Precision job...switchin' ta da Magic Missile cartridge."

"Crowded room..." ::click click:: "TIme to burn!"

"How big is 'e? Hell with that!" ::loads disintegrate::

Perhaps you could, then, go for a cheaper version of the RoMW. Your premise is obviously not outlandish, as there's an existing item that does more. So go for it!

AtwasAwamps
2009-10-22, 11:49 AM
Perhaps you could, then, go for a cheaper version of the RoMW. Your premise is obviously not outlandish, as there's an existing item that does more. So go for it!

Yeah, I figured there might be a precedent. It's not about power, more about having a crazy looking gnome/dwarf with singed hair, a mad look in his eyes, beakers hanging from his belt, and the world's most terrifying boomstick in his hands.

I'm not sure if I will ever get to play this character but I will spend all my time convincing the rogue/skillmonkey in the party I play with that I should be opening all the doors.

With the fireball "clip".

Deth Muncher
2009-10-22, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I figured there might be a precedent. It's not about power, more about having a crazy looking gnome/dwarf with singed hair, a mad look in his eyes, beakers hanging from his belt, and the world's most terrifying boomstick in his hands.

I'm not sure if I will ever get to play this character but I will spend all my time convincing the rogue/skillmonkey in the party I play with that I should be opening all the doors.

With the fireball "clip".

You know, for an even more ridiculously complicated version of this, you could have a bunch of Delayed Blast Fireballs in a hopper filled with Quintessence, and just shoot them somehow. O_o

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 11:53 AM
Eternal wands are your best friend, then. Given that you'll be using a lot of these wands every single day, it'll be worth it.

I actually plan to have something like that for a current character, with one significant difference. The ring of wands is mounted on, and rotates around his arm. Completely pointless use of an item slot? Sure. But the mental image is awesome.

AtwasAwamps
2009-10-22, 11:53 AM
You know, for an even more ridiculously complicated version of this, you could have a bunch of Delayed Blast Fireballs in a hopper filled with Quintessence, and just shoot them somehow. O_o

Slingshot. Obviously.

EDIT: And yeah, I have to do a lot of research. I'm not really forseeing this guy as a viable powerful type character and am more oriented on having a ridiculously fun RP character with one hell of a conversation piece. Eternal wands...wheeeee.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-22, 11:54 AM
Here's what I'd suggest: price it as you would price an item that grants you Quick Draw as a bonus feat, since this amounts to the same thing. So somewhere between 2,000 and 8,000, depending on however much Quick Draw is actually worth (I never remember...I know there's some weapon enhancement that does it, but...).

Deth Muncher
2009-10-22, 11:59 AM
Slingshot. Obviously.

EDIT: And yeah, I have to do a lot of research. I'm not really forseeing this guy as a viable powerful type character and am more oriented on having a ridiculously fun RP character with one hell of a conversation piece. Eternal wands...wheeeee.

Actually, although I like the slinging DBFs around, y'know what actually almost looks like that?

A paintball gun.

Think about it.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-22, 12:03 PM

Actually, a properly built Wandificer is a terror to behold! The only problem is practicality, seeing as you need to abuse the unholy hell out of Metamagic Spell Trigger, which means you'll be burning through your wands like lava through frozen butter.

arguskos
2009-10-22, 12:04 PM
Actually, although I like the slinging DBFs around, y'know what actually almost looks like that?

A paintball gun.

Think about it.
The most lethal paintballs in the history of forever! :smallamused:

I've played a character once that actually did something similar. He made a pair of Scepters (best magic item category ever; a scepter is a 2-spell wand, basically), each with one good combat spell, and one good utility/defensive spell. He then put one on each arm, and strapped them down, so that he had arm blasters. The left was Scorching Ray and Fly, the right was Orb of Force (I think, it's been awhile) and Greater Mirror Image. Man, that was fun. He also kept a bandoleer of wands, all of which were awesomely amusing.

Best part? He managed to acquire a Glowstone in his lifetime (artifact that can recharge magic items like wands and staves). That character was good times.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-22, 12:07 PM
The most lethal paintballs in the history of forever! :smallamused:

I've played a character once that actually did something similar. He made a pair of Scepters (best magic item category ever; a scepter is a 2-spell wand, basically), each with one good combat spell, and one good utility/defensive spell. He then put one on each arm, and strapped them down, so that he had arm blasters. The left was Scorching Ray and Fly, the right was Orb of Force (I think, it's been awhile) and Greater Mirror Image. Man, that was fun. He also kept a bandoleer of wands, all of which were awesomely amusing.

Best part? He managed to acquire a Glowstone in his lifetime (artifact that can recharge magic items like wands and staves). That character was good times.

Glowstone? Where is this from?

arguskos
2009-10-22, 12:10 PM
Glowstone? Where is this from?
Like I said, ARTIFACT. It can be found in Magic of Faerun, page 169. As far as I'm aware, it's the only printed way to recharge magic items. Sweet artifact too.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-22, 12:15 PM
Like I said, ARTIFACT. It can be found in Magic of Faerun, page 169. As far as I'm aware, it's the only printed way to recharge magic items. Sweet artifact too.

Artificers get an Infusion that lets them recharge Wands and Staves.

hamishspence
2009-10-22, 12:16 PM
Concerning firing the wands all at once- there was a rather entertaining Nodwick strip in Dragon Magazine on this- the wizard Artax glues a whole bunch of near-empty wands together, and gives them the same command word.

It doesn't turn out well though.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-22, 12:16 PM

Oh, hehe. I missed the bit about it being an artifact, but I kinda figured it would be anyway.

And yeah, that's kind of great. Like more than kind of.

arguskos
2009-10-22, 12:21 PM
Permanently? Or are the charges temporary? Also, where is said infusion?

@Deth: the Glowstone has some limitations. It has a limited amount of charges itself, and simply transfers them from itself to something you stick it on (it sticks as if glued) at a rate of 10 minutes per charge transferred. They have 1,000 charges when made, and now typically have d%x10 when found. It's a pretty neat item. Frankly, I was never sure it should be an artifact, but that's just me being crazy. Make it have 100 charges instead of 1,000, cut it's other special effects (for dwarves/gnomes with divine casting) and make it cost 100,000 gp or something, and it'd be a pretty decently balanced wondrous item, IMO.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-22, 12:23 PM

I think what it does is give "phantom charges" that get used up before you use up real charges. So it's KINDA like recharging.

arguskos
2009-10-22, 12:24 PM
I think what it does is give "phantom charges" that get used up before you use up real charges. So it's KINDA like recharging.
That's what I thought. I'm just wondering if they have a duration or not. I don't keep up with Eberron material (didn't like the setting much myself), so I'm not up to speed on Artificers.

hamishspence
2009-10-22, 12:30 PM

Really? Which book- and what is it called- and what level?

I couldn't find it in the Campaign Setting book.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-22, 12:31 PM
That's what I thought. I'm just wondering if they have a duration or not. I don't keep up with Eberron material (didn't like the setting much myself), so I'm not up to speed on Artificers.

They do. I think it's in the minutes/level or 10 minutes/level range. It's either in Magic of Eberron or Player's Guide to Eberron.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 12:31 PM

@Deth: the Glowstone has some limitations. It has a limited amount of charges itself, and simply transfers them from itself to something you stick it on (it sticks as if glued) at a rate of 10 minutes per charge transferred. They have 1,000 charges when made, and now typically have d%x10 when found. It's a pretty neat item. Frankly, I was never sure it should be an artifact, but that's just me being crazy. Make it have 100 charges instead of 1,000, cut it's other special effects (for dwarves/gnomes with divine casting) and make it cost 100,000 gp or something, and it'd be a pretty decently balanced wondrous item, IMO.

So, it always transfers charges at a 1 to 1 rate?

I never thought a wand of wish with one charges would be so useful...

Deth Muncher
2009-10-22, 12:32 PM

Oh dear lord. Don't let any monks get ahold of it...

I'm sorry, I had to.

arguskos
2009-10-22, 12:33 PM

Yeah, the Glowstone drains one charge from itself to put one charge in the item.

Also, that'd have to be a staff of wish, and you can't make them with less than 50 charges. :smalltongue:

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 12:38 PM
I believe MiC has some nifty rules for doing just that. =)

arguskos
2009-10-22, 12:40 PM
I believe MiC has some nifty rules for doing just that. =)
Does it really? Damn, that's impressive. Didn't know that.

Unless you're talking about Runestaffs, which don't benefit from the Glowstone, I can't find anything about making staves with less than 50 charges... :smallconfused:

Fluffles
2009-10-22, 12:45 PM
Wands have a maximum level of 4 for the spells...

arguskos
2009-10-22, 12:47 PM
Wands have a maximum level of 4 for the spells...
True, but scepters and staves do not. :smallwink: They have level caps of 7 and none, respectively.

hamishspence
2009-10-22, 12:58 PM
They do. I think it's in the minutes/level or 10 minutes/level range. It's either in Magic of Eberron or Player's Guide to Eberron.

Found it- it's the 3rd level infusion Power Surge- it is in the Campaign guide after all- I didn't spot it because I was looking for something that actually recharged items.

It is 1 min per level, works on wands and staffs.

It says in the short summary "spell trigger item touched" but in the actual infusion description, it says "wand or staff touched.

I think though that it would be a reasonable DM-call to allow it to work on scepters- a third spell trigger item, if they are being imported into Eberron from Lost Empires of Faerun.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 12:59 PM
Does it really? Damn, that's impressive. Didn't know that.

Unless you're talking about Runestaffs, which don't benefit from the Glowstone, I can't find anything about making staves with less than 50 charges... :smallconfused:

Runestaves don't? They are a staff, after all...

Deth Muncher
2009-10-22, 01:00 PM

They also don't have charges.

arguskos
2009-10-22, 01:01 PM
Runestaves use your spell slots, IIRC. The Glowstone can't recharge those. :smalltongue:

@Hamish: Awesome. Thanks for finding that, I'll check it out further. :smallsmile:

hamishspence
2009-10-22, 01:02 PM
they don't have charges- they grant to ability to swap out a prepared spell, or spell slot, for a spell in the staff.

Think of it as granting you the information needed to cast the spell- you must still provide the power.

And each of the spells the runestaff lets you access can only be cast a limited number of times per day.

EDIT: Ninjaed.

hamishspence
2009-10-22, 01:04 PM
One of the reasons I like the Scepter concept, is back in 2nd ed, and in Baldur's Gate, there were lots of 2-spell wands.

With scepters, you can replicate those.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 01:20 PM
Mmm, I could have sworn there were staffs with charges of spells in amounts less than fifty. I remember seeing a pretty decent variety of them, too. There's gotta be one with Wish on it.

After all, creating a staff with fifty charges of wish is likely to be severely problematic, both in gold and xp.

I wonder...does it specify a limit to said charging? I mean, you could stick a Staff of Power or something in there, no?

arguskos
2009-10-22, 01:55 PM
Mmm, I could have sworn there were staffs with charges of spells in amounts less than fifty. I remember seeing a pretty decent variety of them, too. There's gotta be one with Wish on it.

After all, creating a staff with fifty charges of wish is likely to be severely problematic, both in gold and xp.

I wonder...does it specify a limit to said charging? I mean, you could stick a Staff of Power or something in there, no?
The Glowstone specifies that you can only charge an item to it's max capacity. However, if the item is capable of overcharging, like a Staff of the Magi, a glowstone can and will overcharge it if left unattended.

Hamish, that's exactly why I love Scepters. They are like the wands of old, which had multiple functions, and I loved them. :smallsmile:

Yukitsu
2009-10-22, 02:04 PM
I just realized something. Isn't there a weapon tool kit that lets you put a wand slot into a weapon you're carrying, and use that wand if you're wielding the weapon. So what you need to do, is put a wand in your wand, so you can cast while you cast. You know, because I heard to like casting.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 02:06 PM
Wand socket, I believe. Something like that, anyhow.

A staff is a weapon, isn't it? There's gotta be something preventing that...or wand inside wand, which, used together with dual wand wielding, would allow you to cast four spells at once.

arguskos
2009-10-22, 02:07 PM
I just realized something. Isn't there a weapon tool kit that lets you put a wand slot into a weapon you're carrying, and use that wand if you're wielding the weapon. So what you need to do, is put a wand in your wand, so you can cast while you cast. You know, because I heard to like casting.
First, wands aren't weapons, so you can't technically do that. You can however, put one in a staff, since staves often double as magic quarterstaves. A staff of power with a wand chamber would be fun as hell. It's called a Wand Chamber, and only works on weapons and shields, IIRC.

Second, you did it wrong. "Yo dawg, I herd you like casting, so I put a wand in yo wand, so you can cast while you cast." Apologies, but if you're going to use a meme, do it right. :smalltongue:

Yukitsu
2009-10-22, 02:07 PM
Wand socket, I believe. Something like that, anyhow.

A staff is a weapon, isn't it? There's gotta be something preventing that...or wand inside wand, which, used together with dual wand wielding, would allow you to cast four spells at once.

You don't get to cast them both at the same time. Just lets you hold more things all at once without having to switch hands.

Edit: Take wandstrike so it is a weapon?