PDA

View Full Version : Last minute OSRIC advice!

cloneof
2009-10-22, 11:48 AM
Hi, I have a group starting OSRIC in a week. I have looked towards it as I like the 1st edition game system. However, while I was thinking about the campaign I'm going to put them in, I realized I don't know a one piece of important information about monsters.

I found an "Monster Equibalent Level Table" wich I would presume is the To Hit table for monsters, however I don't seem to understand it.

Anyone could give me an advice on that?

Matthew
2009-10-22, 11:58 AM
Sure, the hit dice notation on that page corresponds to an equivalent fighter level. Basically, you use the fighter attack matrix for monsters and (I think) saving throws. So, because orcs have "HD 1" they fight as though level 2 fighters, whilst hobgoblins with "HD 1+1" fight as though level 3.

The bandings are typically:

1+1 to 2 = 3 (THAC0 18)
2+1 to 3 = 4 (THAC0 17)
3+1 to 4 = 5 (THAC0 16)

...and so on. The reason for the strangeness is that fighters were pushed back a level in AD&D so that a first level fighter has THAC0 20 instead of 19. Also noteworthy in AD&D is that high pluses are equivalent to additional hit dice; so, for instance:

1+1 to 1+3 = 3
1+4 to 1+6 = 4
1+7 to 1+9 = 5

Premier
2009-10-22, 11:59 AM
Looking at the table, I'd say it probably means that "A monster described as having X Hit Dice is considered to be level Y character in any situation when this issue becomes important and there are no other rules"; but you could ask at www.knights-n-knaves.com which is the horse's mouth.

EDIT: Simu-ninjad by the other grognard.

bosssmiley
2009-10-22, 12:05 PM
Also noteworthy in AD&D is that high pluses are equivalent to additional hit dice; so, for instance:

1+1 to 1+3 = 3
1+4 to 1+6 = 4
1+7 to 1+9 = 5

This is a handy little bonus for high base hp 'intended to be really tough' monsters. Right up until you get to the Daemons that is... (HD: 8+24, 10+20, 13+39 :smalleek: )

Matthew
2009-10-22, 12:36 PM
This is a handy little bonus for high base hp 'intended to be really tough' monsters. Right up until you get to the Daemons that is... (HD: 8+24, 10+20, 13+39 :smalleek: )

Yeah, a strange characteristic of the Monster Manual II, that. The demons and devils in the Monster Manual I and Fiend Folio usually top out at X+14, with most being well below. Possibly, it is because the AD&D DMG has an upper limit of 16 HD for measuring fighting ability (THAC0 7), so adding a load of pluses after a certain number has no effect.