PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]NPC classes

Myrmex
2009-10-22, 12:43 PM
No, not the really weak ones in the DMG; classes that function better as NPCs than PCs.

What classes & prestige classes do you like to have your monsters have? What ones work really great vs. players, but not so great when you are a player?

I find rogues to be really nasty opponents, as they do high amounts of damage, can be hard to find, and can use magic. Loading up an NPC rogue with scrolls, potions, oils & wands isn't that big of a deal, since he's only going to last 5 to 15 rounds, and the consumables can do some really awesome stuff. Of course, once the party gets heavy fortification armor, the efficacy of sneak attack just about disappears.

Anything using buffs (like low level clerics, bards, crusaders) are extremely effective in making hoards of low level enemies very, very dangerous. All the +1s to attack & damage really start stacking up.

Two levels of monk, swordsage, paladin, blackguard, and hexblade are all good at making high charisma/wisdom monsters a lot tougher, as their touch AC & saves skyrocket, and many will get an additional 2 attacks with monk.

Prestige classes that monsters can qualify for that have a lot of powerful 1/day abilities are also good, since the monsters aren't going to be using them more than once/day (cause they'll be dead after they meet the PCs).

Likewise, psionic classes make powerful additions to high HD, low CR brutes, since overchannel & practiced manifester lets them nova extremely well. For a PC, being an ogre with 5 levels of psion would be pretty suboptimal.

arguskos
2009-10-22, 12:53 PM
I actually like ranger, fighter, other basic classes that are weak on PCs (who have no special racial abilities usually). Monsters often have racial abilities to help fill the gap, and the feats those classes can give are highly useful for critters.

Full casters are not my favorite on monsters really, but partial casters like the mystic ranger, duskblade, casting PrC's (any PrC that has it's own casting list), and similar stuff.

Scout is GREAT for ranged attackers (my favorite is giving Arrow Demon's scout levels. Same with Assassin Devils, though they're best with assassin levels). I almost TPK'd the party with a pair of ranged attackers who dealt 2d8+5 before their 2d6 skirmish.... :smallamused:

Myrmex
2009-10-22, 01:05 PM
For casters, I prefer illusionists and buff/debuffers. Using lock-down tactics & save-or-dies is really mean.

Illusionists are hilarious because they are so frustrating.

In general, I like my encounters to put out a lot of damage, since it scares the players, but won't wipe them in a single turn.

arguskos
2009-10-22, 01:08 PM
I can get behind that. I've yet to throw a serious caster at my current party, but I've got a few planned that are crushingly scary. Necromancy debuffs and some undead minions are just cruel to use against parties. :smallamused:

My personal favorite enemy to throw at a party though is a leveled minotaur, with levels in Barbarian, Fighter, Mystic Ranger (that's pretty scary actually), and/or Thayan Gladiator (really fun PrC).

jiriku
2009-10-22, 01:09 PM
I love to power up monsters with class levels! I almost never use off-the-rack monsters, and now the monsters my players fear the most are the ones they recognize from MMI, because they know I'll always have given the monster something extra to ruin their day.

Fighter levels work great for ogres. They can use their large size and great strength to good effect in a tripper build with heavy armor and a spiked chain.

A level of ranger with favored enemy (human) works well in my campaigns, because most PCs are human. Added to a stealthy monster like a ghoul, the ranger skill points really improve the hide and move silently skills as well.

I like to stack a few levels of warblade on top of high-HD brutes like frost giants. The giant HD give them enough initiator levels that they can take a pile of mid-level maneuvers immediately.

Advanced ghast+blackguard+tomb warden with combat brute+improved sunder+reach weapon has great charisma synergy and makes a very effective bodyguard for a lich or vampire spellcaster.

Doppelgangers can pretty easily get into some fun stealth-oriented PrCs like shadowdancer and master spy. Those sorts of characters can drive the players nuts.

Cleric levels (or any primary caster, really) stacked as non-associative class levels on top of a monster with a good pile of monster HD and some special attacks is pretty nice too. For example, a mind flayer cleric of thoon 8 only increases from CR 8 to CR 12, but gains +15 to hit (via divine power and a base 15 strength from the elite array), +8 AC from plate armor, more than double the hit points, a hoss disarming modifier with heavy flail+improved disarm, +8 SR, and a bunch of extra spells besides (I favor immediate- and swift-cast healing spells for even more durability without sacrificing attacks).

Myrmex
2009-10-22, 01:13 PM
Oh yeah, I love giving giants cleric levels. But then, cleric works really well for anyone that can take a lot of levels in it.

Pika...
2009-10-22, 01:17 PM
I second rogue.

I plan on soon introducing an awakened bear recurring NPC with levels in rogue who has items and such that bring his Hide total to around 50-something.

He has a habit of out of the shadows grappling Halflings.

His name is Halfling-Bear. >.>

Myrmex
2009-10-22, 01:33 PM
Heh. You should make it a koala bear that drops out of trees.

Zovc
2009-10-22, 02:30 PM
I second rogue.

I plan on soon introducing an awakened bear recurring NPC with levels in rogue who has items and such that bring his Hide total to around 50-something.

He has a habit of out of the shadows grappling Halflings.

His name is Halfling-Bear. >.>

If you play magic, this is what I imagine Ashcoat Bear (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=114905) doing.

I approve of this, have you considered levels in Ninja instead?

arguskos
2009-10-22, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah, I love giving giants cleric levels. But then, cleric works really well for anyone that can take a lot of levels in it.
You know, abusing non-associated levels always struck me as mildly unfair. The CR system is already borked, let's not make it worse, mmkay? :smallwink:

Oh, oh, another fun monster build: Anos, the Advanced Elite Pseudonatural Half-Red Dragon Gelatinous Cube.

It's not class leveled, but it's frikkin' HILARIOUS.

Or, the DoomHippo: an Awakened Paragon Multi-Headed Dire Hippo.

jiriku
2009-10-22, 02:42 PM
You know, abusing non-associated levels always struck me as mildly unfair. The CR system is already borked, let's not make it worse, mmkay? :smallwink:

Oh, oh, another fun monster build: Anos, the Advanced Elite Pseudonatural Half-Red Dragon Gelatinous Cube.

It's not class leveled, but it's frikkin' HILARIOUS.

Or, the DoomHippo: an Awakened Paragon Multi-Headed Dire Hippo.

Non-associated caster level abuse is the ONLY way to make good monster casters. Or hobgoblin cheese from one of the later monster manuals. CR 10 for a 10-HD monstrous humanoid with 9th-level wizard casting and special abilities! MMmmmmmMMM! :D

arguskos
2009-10-22, 02:45 PM
Non-associated caster level abuse is the ONLY way to make good monster casters. Or hobgoblin cheese from one of the later monster manuals. CR 10 for a 10-HD monstrous humanoid with 9th-level wizard casting and special abilities! MMmmmmmMMM! :D
Actually, the Warcaster and Warsoul (those two hobbos) are what made me weep about non-associated casting. They almost TPK'd the party. Give them a good amount of meatshields to serve as blocks and screens for the party fighter-types, and they can just rip it up from distance w/o breaking a sweat.

I've used non-associated levels before, but you've gotta be careful with 'em, since doing something like giving a high-Int fey Wizard levels can be party-ending.

Oh, and Dragons should have EVERYTHING as associated levels. :smallannoyed:

Dingle100
2009-10-22, 05:37 PM
I found Ranger class added to a flying creature can be quite nasty.
I added 10 levels to a gargoyle and nearly took out the paladin in one round.

Name: Birdy
Gargoyle (Medium Monstrous humanoid)
Ranger level 10 (skill points 50) Dungeon Crawler
Hit die: 4d8+10d8+56(122hp)
Init: 9
Speed: 40,fly 60,swim 0,climb 0,burrow 0
AC: 22 +3 No Armour + Shield, none
AC flat footed :17
AC Touch: 15
Base Attack/Grapple: 14/18
Attack: +20 (+2/+2) Battle axe 1d8+6
or +23 (+2/+2) Longbow ,Composite 1d8+7
Full attack: +18/13/8 (+2/+2) Battle axe 1d8+6
+16 Battle axe 1d8+2
+18 Bite 1d6+2
or +21/21/16/11 (+2/+2) Longbow ,Composite 1d8+7(range 110)
Space/Reach: 5/5
Special Attacks:
Favoured enemy Number of Favoured enemies = 2 Human, Animals
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, Darkvision 60, Other freeze DC20 spot to see if gargoyle is alive,
Animal Companion
Evasion Reflex save no damage instead of 1/2
Swift Tracker Can follow tracks at normal speed no penalty
Track Gains Track as a bonus Feat
Wild Empathy Improve attitude of an animal
Woodland Stride Can move through undergrowth at normal speed
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +16, Will +8
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 20, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 12, Chr 5
Skills: Hide 20, Jump 8, Know dungeon -1, Listen 5, Move Silently 20, Search 2, Spot 5, Survival 16, Swim 7, Use Rope 5,
Feats: Rapid Shot, Two-Weapon Fighting, Armour prof light, Endurance, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Martial Weap Prof, Multiattack, Point Blank Shot, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Toughness, Track, Weapon focus(ranged),
CR: 15
Spells:
Ranger
level 1 (2) (DC 12)
Entangle *2
level 2 (1) (DC 13)
Cats Grace *1
http://www.dinglesgames.com/tools/NPCGenerator/dnd35/

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-22, 05:51 PM
Actually, the Warcaster and Warsoul (those two hobbos) are what made me weep about non-associated casting. They almost TPK'd the party.
If I wanted a fighter-type (and decided to touch the non-associated rules), Wizard 2 would compete with something like fighter for CR. (Con mod-.5) more hp, +3 Will versus +2 Fort, spells v. feats...

I've used non-associated levels before, but you've gotta be careful with 'em, since doing something like giving a high-Int fey Wizard levels can be party-ending.

Oh, and Dragons should have EVERYTHING as associated levels. :smallannoyed:

Wouldn't the fey have those as associated levels, then? And aren't all classes associated for dragons anyway?