PDA

View Full Version : Fun Character Concepts

BinarySolo
2009-10-22, 02:02 PM
I had fun reading this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118397 (My favorites were the color-blind dragon hunter and the kobold paladin trying to kill Garl Glittergold). I wanted to have another similar fun character concepts thread with a slightly different twist:

No characters that are directly copying some other famous character i.e. Navi, Jack Skellington, Captain Planet
No in-jokes. We don't get them, therefore they are not funny to us.

Here are a few of mine:

A wizard that is obsessed with fame and always trying to research new spells named after himself (he wants to be remembered among Bigby, Mordekaiden, Tenser). He has an unfortunate name, like Lolidawng or Edaminsterhamsteinburgensteen. People refuse to call his spells by his name, instead of "Lolidawngs Horrible Burning Cheese Spray" they just call it "Burning Cheese Spray".
A scheming lawful evil expert or rogue that uses his adventuring money to buy peasant farms and large amounts of grain (or other staple good) in an attempt to corner the market and achieve a monopoly. Instead of buying level appropriate magical items, he continues to pour his wealth into business ventures until he can make enough profit to finance extremely overpowered magical items.
A human child of a half-elf and half-orc, gestalt wizard/barbarian
Similarly, mundane human child of an Aasamar and Tiefling, Maybe a paladin/sorcerer.
A barbarian with strange cultural beliefs: magical items must be washed in goat's milk, making eye contact for too long can lead to procreation, boys should try to kill their father to assume power (maybe he gives weapons to small children?), you must eat the hearts of fallen enemies to gain their power.
Similarly an educated character with outlandish beliefs: direct exposure to sunlight makes children prone to consumption, the word "leg" is overly provocative (says "limb" instead), other bits of Victorian charm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathing_machine
A sentient ooze, what gains HD and changes type as he levels.

Defiant
2009-10-22, 02:06 PM
A scheming lawful evil expert or rogue that uses his adventuring money to buy peasant farms and large amounts of grain (or other staple good) in an attempt to corner the market and achieve a monopoly. Instead of buying level appropriate magical items, he continues to pour his wealth into business ventures until he can make enough profit to finance extremely overpowered magical items.

That's awesome! He's lawful evil and completely obsessed with this, and he keeps pouring and pouring his wealth into this, inadvertently raising the quality of life of all peasants. Kind of like a vow of poverty monk! :smallbiggrin:

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-22, 02:17 PM
I've always liked the idea of a druid who sees aberrations as another kind of (very strange) animal. Leaves the care of normal animals to the rest of druid kind, but will rush to the aid of a poor defenseless chuul or rust monster.

(Still working on this build :smallmad: Any ideas?)

Eldariel
2009-10-22, 02:32 PM
I've always liked the idea of a druid who sees aberrations as another kind of (very strange) animal. Leaves the care of normal animals to the rest of druid kind, but will rush to the aid of a poor defenseless chuul or rust monster.

Got Lords of Madness? There's Aberration Wildshape there, which seems like a start. Other than that, I can't think of what you want right off-hand; Vermins and Magical Beasts are better supported, but Aberrations are mostly viewed as sort of anti-thesis of nature so Druids weren't given much support for them. :/

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-22, 02:45 PM
Between that and the monstrous animal companion feat out of dragon, I have it mostly sorted out, but then their are those little tweaks that are needed that only heavy home brew can sort out. I'll get it one day though.

Flayerman
2009-10-22, 02:49 PM
Mind Flayer Lawyer. Go on, try to lie to him. Just try it. (I'm actually playing this!)

Swordsage Werewolf with a cape and goggles. Werewolf Kamina! (Go on, tell me that doesn't rock).

Warforged Dragonborn of Bahamut Barbarian/Warforged Juggernaut. Robot dragon with spikes coming out of it!

Marillion
2009-10-22, 03:21 PM
A kleptomaniac Rogue/Paladin.

A Paladin who is utterly convinced that he's fallen when he isn't.

A bard who gets his abilities from interpretive dance.

Anonymouswizard
2009-10-22, 03:31 PM
How about a Gnome illusionist/monk with no desire to use any other school of magic. He also believes in not harming any creature and so has selected stunning fist and deflect arrows. He is lawful good and enjoys swindling villians to attack illusionary creatures.

I've also been toying with the idea of a Chaotic character who does not break a law, only bend them so much that they are barely reconisable.

Flayerman
2009-10-22, 03:34 PM
A bard who gets his abilities from interpretive dance.

Reminds me of something my friend and I discovered about Pathfinder. The level 20 Bard ability is "instant kill through perform."

Now apply this to an exotic dancer.

Death by lapdance!

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-22, 03:50 PM

I've actually had an idea like this before but have never had a game I could use it in.

A barbarian with strange cultural beliefs: magical items must be washed in goat's milk, making eye contact for too long can lead to procreation, boys should try to kill their father to assume power (maybe he gives weapons to small children?), you must eat the hearts of fallen enemies to gain their power.

I like this one. But the heart thing has been done to death. He should eat the fallen's hair in a Sampson-esque attempt to gain their strength. Which of course leads to hair balls and unpleasant bowl obstructions.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-10-22, 04:00 PM
A sentient ooze, what gains HD and changes type as he levels.

Actually one of my friends have a really similiar build, using the savage progression from Savage Species, he has an Awakened Gelatinous Cube barbarian who uses an acid resistant greatsword, quite funny considering the party is a pair of petals (tiny feys, I don't remember from what book but possibly MMIII) and a raptoran IIRC

DeafnotDumb
2009-10-22, 04:28 PM
A reverse werewolf- a wolf who changes into a human rather than the other way around. Extreme culture shock.
"What is that strange four-legged animal?"
"A table, dear."
"And it's pup?"
"A chair, dear."

Aron Times
2009-10-22, 05:13 PM
A reverse werewolf- a wolf who changes into a human rather than the other way around. Extreme culture shock.
"What is that strange four-legged animal?"
"A table, dear."
"And it's pup?"
"A chair, dear."
In 2E, such creatures were called wolfweres, and more powerful than their human cousins, the werewolves.

I am not making this up.

Shademan
2009-10-22, 05:17 PM
I've actually had an idea like this before but have never had a game I could use it in.

I like this one. But the heart thing has been done to death. He should eat the fallen's hair in a Sampson-esque attempt to gain their strength. Which of course leads to hair balls and unpleasant bowl obstructions.

or wear their skin like a cloak

HCL
2009-10-22, 05:24 PM

you gotta play a CHOKER

DiscipleofBob
2009-10-22, 05:41 PM
A stoic dwarven druid who lives in a cave and protects the subterranean ecology from strip miners and aberrations whose "animal companion" is an adorable, big-headed chibi earth elemental named Rocky who likes chewing on valuable minerals. It doesn't destroy the jewels, they just pass through its "digestive system" unharmed.

A CG changeling cleric of the Dark Six whose devoted his life to interpreting the Dark Six's teachings and mannerisms as good or at least not evil.

A waforged who tries to convince himself he's a soulless war machine or else he has an existential faith crisis. Also, he reads whatever texts or books he can get his hands on. He says this is for processing information so he can become a stronger weapon, but this doesn't explain why his favorite kind of literature is romance.

Nerocite
2009-10-22, 05:43 PM
Minotaur Wizard.

Orc Spellcaster.

Half-Fiend Gelatinous Cube Warlock.

Zombie Bard with ranks in Perform: Dance.

A Half-Fiend Fiend.

gdiddy
2009-10-22, 08:15 PM
A awakened adamantine warblade chair that fell in love with the queen's throne and fights for justice for all chairs everywhere.

mr.fizzypop
2009-10-22, 08:26 PM
A half Dragon, Half Giant Squid, nymphomaniac, bard.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-10-22, 08:28 PM
A Half-Fiend Fiend.

I think it is prohibited to add the half-fiend template to a fiend....

thubby
2009-10-22, 08:33 PM
any druid who exploits control winds. the comedy writes itself.

Kylarra
2009-10-22, 08:37 PM
I think it is prohibited to add the half-fiend template to a fiend....Technically no restriction.

"Half-fiend" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more and nongood alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature). http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfFiend.htm

Nerocite
2009-10-22, 08:38 PM
I find it funny that you can have Half-Fiend Celestials and Half-Celestial Fiends...

Dusk Eclipse
2009-10-22, 08:38 PM
Then I rest my case

Forevernade
2009-10-22, 09:20 PM
A pathfinder Generalist who's item familiar was a pair of gloves. They evolved into separate intelligent items and had arguments with each other all the time, and to the rest of the party it looked like the kooky wizard was playing 'hand puppets' with himself.

For some Anime awesomosity, the wizard bought himself a pair of spiked gauntlets and used Hand of the Apprentice to 'shoot rocket fists' at his enemies!

Talking puppet, rocket fist man! wooooooooooooooo!

Leon
2009-10-23, 04:58 AM
An Adventuring Dryad Druid with her Bonded Oak as a Bonsai

Pika...
2009-10-23, 05:12 AM
Mine:

An Elf/Half-Human who was captured by drow priestesses on an old adventure, but was saved by his party members. His only lingering problem is that "he can't find the way back."
A Commoner Kobolds ate my Baby Kobold.
A crazy Kobold Dread Necromancer who does not know he brings back the dead, but instead believes these are just "New friends" who like hanging around him.
A Gnome who aspires to be a Dwarven defender, so wears a fake beard and wields a Dwarven crafted great hammer while praying to Moradin.
An Elf who's only goal is to reach layer 570 of the abyss: Shendilavri. Yeah, he knows what would happen if he ever actually gets there. However, he claims it will be the "best one hour...or so...of his life!".
A Copper Dragon. 'nuff said.
An artificer attempting to invent the first A-Bomb. And perhaps a Spelljammer ship to push it off of.

Zaydos
2009-10-23, 05:37 AM
A monk that wears a cape and tight fitting red and blue clothes and focuses in jump so that he can leap inns in a single bound.

A half-dragon, half-troll, half-ogre, half-minotaur, half-earth elemental, half-fiend orc. Completely unplayable due to LA but I have 6 halves. :smallsmile: Also my str would be insanely high (+42 I think), and surprisingly smart (-2 Int, -4 Cha). LA though is +15 so completely unplayable. And yes I know I could stack more templates but somehow I actually like the image with this one I am a horned dragon-giant with demonic wings and stone flesh.

BobVosh
2009-10-23, 05:58 AM
A monk that wears a cape and tight fitting red and blue clothes and focuses in jump so that he can leap inns in a single bound.

A half-dragon, half-troll, half-ogre, half-minotaur, half-earth elemental, half-fiend orc. Completely unplayable due to LA but I have 6 halves. :smallsmile: Also my str would be insanely high (+42 I think), and surprisingly smart (-2 Int, -4 Cha). LA though is +15 so completely unplayable. And yes I know I could stack more templates but somehow I actually like the image with this one I am a horned dragon-giant with demonic wings and stone flesh.

Gelatinous improves everything.

A paladin/Duskblade/Mystic theurge. Just because how much it would hurt any optimizer.

If it isn't limited to things only thought of, I have made an alchemical from exalted. (think golems with minds) I combined two charms: Hyper-dexterous tentacle apparatus and Thousand-fold courtesan calculations. Yes, they both do what you think they would do. More over they were an EFFECTIVE combo.

I have wanted to be an intelligent item with levels in paladin, summoning an aasimar as a mount. This was a brain child of someone on these forums.

I have played a werewolf that grew to hate hair. Any time he changed shapes, after the initial blood lust, he shaved. This meant he had to buy a silver razor.

Grumman
2009-10-23, 06:00 AM
A Medusa ninja with a Ring of Invisibility who petrifies anyone that casts True Sight.

Urist, the one dwarf pike regiment. (gestalt full B.A.B. // Wu Jen / Incantatrix / Flux Adept)

any druid who exploits control winds. the comedy writes itself.
It wasn't a comedy when I wrote it.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-23, 08:25 AM
A paladin/Duskblade/Mystic theurge. Just because how much it would hurt any optimizer.

Irrational stereotypes ahoy?
At least you have almost-full BAB and channel spells. Might compete with a core fighter.

Awakened is always fun. Played an Awakened Animated Object that was a statue of a barghest.