PDA

View Full Version : Rage and Psionics

Eldan
2009-10-22, 02:19 PM
So, I'm not entirely certain on this, but since it excludes anything that excludes concentration, can barbarians:

a) Be psionically focused while raging?
b) Attain psionic focus while raging?
c) Use feats that use up the psionic focus while raging?
d) Use powers while raging?

Personally, I'd say no to all of them, but I'm not actually sure, but I need to know for a homebrew idea I had.

Reluctance
2009-10-22, 02:36 PM
By RAW, B and only B is forbidden. (Attaining focus requires a concentration check, and you can't do that while raging.)

Removing D is also a reasonable interpretation. While one can argue that a wilder/barbarian using powers in rage would be thematically appropriate, using powers is close enough to casting spells that I'd file them under the same heading. (Not to mention, this requires being a multiclass caster, which causes problems of its own.)

Having a barbarian with psionic feats have to give up focus every time he rages is harsh. The player already sunk a decent investment, having that go up in smoke in every battle the barbarian rages in - practically speaking, every major battle - makes it completely worthless. I don't see anything wrong with either keeping a focused state of awareness while in rage (you may not be thinking straight, but you're certainly focused), nor with expending said focus for one big effect. So A and C would keep in my book.

PinkysBrain
2009-10-22, 02:38 PM
a) sure why not
b) uses a concentration check, so generally no
c) sure why not
d) Nope ... "To manifest a power, you must concentrate" and while raging you can't use "any abilities that require patience or concentration".

Of course you can Schism before you start raging and then manifest with your schism'd mind.

arguskos
2009-10-22, 02:41 PM
Having a barbarian with psionic feats have to give up focus every time he rages is harsh. The player already sunk a decent investment, having that go up in smoke in every battle the barbarian rages in - practically speaking, every major battle - makes it completely worthless. I don't see anything wrong with either keeping a focused state of awareness while in rage (you may not be thinking straight, but you're certainly focused), nor with expending said focus for one big effect. So A and C would keep in my book.
Well, it'd be reasonable for him to expend focus, and THEN rage. Not saying I'd rule focus as impossible in rage (I wouldn't rule that way), just saying there's a justification there. :smallwink:

Eldan
2009-10-22, 02:45 PM
So there's not really an official rule on focus and rage? Hmm. I'll just write it in an unambiguous way, then.
Wilder/Barbarian might be really approrpiate... though I was more thinking of a psywarrior/barbarian.

Prime32
2009-10-22, 02:45 PM
There's a class in Hyperconscious called cerebral rager. Its abilities should be apparent.

PinkysBrain
2009-10-22, 02:50 PM
Wilder/Barbarian might be really approrpiate... though I was more thinking of a psywarrior/barbarian.
It doesn't really work without a dual progression prestige class for it or gestalt ... or at the very least a combo feat which lets you stack levels for say greater rage. +2 to hit and attack is an awful trade off for giving up the benefit of being able to manifest with a non schism'd mind.

SurlySeraph
2009-10-22, 02:50 PM
There's a class in Hyperconscious called cerebral rager. Its abilities should be apparent.

Don't tell me, let me guess. It lets you get angry and kill things with your brain? :smalltongue:

PinkysBrain
2009-10-22, 02:54 PM
Like this?

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20051022.gif (http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=321)

arguskos
2009-10-22, 02:56 PM
Like this?
Ah yes, Professor Brainington. :smallbiggrin: Love SMBC.

Eldan
2009-10-22, 02:57 PM
It doesn't really work without a dual progression prestige class for it or gestalt ... or at the very least a combo feat which lets you stack levels for say greater rage. +2 to hit and attack is an awful trade off for giving up the benefit of being able to manifest with a non schism'd mind.

That's what I said in the first post... homebrew idea. It does involve a little more than just dual progression, but that's basically it.

Myrmex
2009-10-22, 02:59 PM
lol, it's just like a male giraffe.

You didn't think those long necks were a product of Lamarckian evolution, did you? (http://bill.srnr.arizona.edu/classes/182/Giraffe/WinningByANeck.pdf) (pdf)

Eldan
2009-10-22, 03:01 PM
Dude. It's not cool if you don't show the video.

Fighting Giraffes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7HCIGFdBt8)

Ecalsneerg
2009-10-22, 05:32 PM
RAW, it's only spells you can't use in a Rage.

Although that said, I would not decry a DM who said you can't manifest powers while raging, as it seems perfectly logical if you can't cast, you can't manifest, especially with the default option of magic-psionic transparency.

PinkysBrain
2009-10-22, 05:36 PM
Meh, as I said ... "To manifest a power, you must concentrate" and while raging you can't use "any abilities that require patience or concentration". Seems pretty open and shut to me.