PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Choker Cleric?

Another_Poet
2009-10-22, 09:18 PM
Hey everyone. Thought:

Quickness (Su)

Although not particularly dexterous, a choker is supernaturally quick. It can take an extra standard action or move action during its turn each round.

Holy crap, that would make for a powerful spellcaster. 2 spells per round with no metamagic cost, starting at Level 1.

Problems:
-No listed LA. We all know there is an easy enough process to generate the LA, but this limits how many DMs would allow it.
-Only one good casting stat (+2 Wis it looks like, penalties to Int and Cha).
-Lost caster levels. With 3 HD, plus the natural armour and the Quickness, you're probably looking at starting off 6 levels behind the group (let's say LA +3 and 3 HD = 6 levels).

Still, if there is any way to get past any of this, a Choker could make a terrific cleric or druid. Polymorphing into one won't help since Quickness is Su. As an aberration, Choker is off-limits for Wildshape. Anyone have any other idea how to gain or emulate its Su ability?

I am curious if there is a way to take advantage of this for hypothetical char-op purposes. (Don't worry, not trying to slip it past a DM.)

ap

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-10-22, 09:21 PM
Chokers have an LA of -. That means 'no'.

Of course, that doesn't stop a determined caster. Polymorph works quite well, and resides in a couple of domains as well, although it's usually an arcane caster trick.

Druids also use MoMF to use this form to much delight.

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-22, 09:21 PM
Interestingly, that ability does not appear in later printings of the Monster Manual. Some suggest it no longer exists, having been removed by an unannounced erratum.

sofawall
2009-10-22, 09:22 PM
Abberant Wildshape? Assume Supernatural Ability?

What do I win?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-10-22, 09:23 PM

What do I win?

It's not a supernatural ability, it's an Extrodinary ability. You only need it for the Abberant Wildshape. Or simply be an Elan.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-22, 09:24 PM
As an aberration, Choker is off-limits for Wildshape. Anyone have any other idea how to gain or emulate its Su ability?
No, it's not off limits. Aberration Blood plus Aberration Wild Shape (two feats in Lords of Madness) would accomplish the shape. However, having the Choker shape isn't going to help you.
The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form. Since wild shape is a version of alternate form, the Quickness special quality can't be acquired that way.

Another_Poet
2009-10-22, 10:16 PM

What do I win?

Nothing on Aberrant Wildshape, as per Curmudgeon's point.

What is Assume Supernatural Ability (& in what book)? That sounds like the way to go.

Draken
2009-10-22, 10:33 PM
Feat from Savage Species. It allows you to chose one (Su) ability a monster has and whenever you shapeshift into that monster you get to use the ability as the monster would.

Beholder Rays are a great favorite.

For the Choker... MoMF 7 and Shapechange are the only solutions I can think of right now.

Another option is Metamorphic Transfer. But it requires Manifesting. Which means, with the penalties, it will have to be a PsiWar. Which means spending a feat to grab Metamorphosis. 3/day only, shamefully.

There was a choker warlock in WotC website some time ago. Maybe he can be some use.

taltamir
2009-10-22, 10:50 PM

What do I win?

a pun pun award :)
He "assumes supernatural abilities" of anything out there.. (actually he assumes any non supernatural ability as well)

Draz74
2009-10-22, 11:44 PM
Which means, with the penalties, it will have to be a PsiWar. Which means spending a feat to grab Metamorphosis.

Ardent? Natural World mantle?

Eldariel
2009-10-23, 12:39 AM
Every caster gets it with Shapechange. Of course, that's quite a bit into the game, but it makes for a nice overlay formshaping; then you just toss Polymorph on top of it to get decent physicals while maintaining Quickness.

Also, Quickness is Su (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/choker.htm).

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-10-23, 01:57 AM
Elan Wizard with Assume Supernatural Ability and Alter Self can pull it off.

Elans are Abberations, thus can naturally turn into Chokers.

This can be done at level 3.

Eldariel
2009-10-23, 02:00 AM
Metamorphic Transfer is also worth mentioning.