PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions about a wizard

CoffeeIncluded
2009-10-22, 09:28 PM
So, I'm playing my first DnD game, and I'm playing a wizard. (What? I wanted to play a wizard! It's fun rewriting reality to your whim! Plus if I were a DnD PC, I'd be a wizard too...) In any case, I've got a couple of questions:

1. When my wizard levels up, I know she gets 2 new spells. But are these spells of her highest caster level, or 2 spells from every caster level known? Or can she choose 2 new spells from any caster level she knows. What if she reaches a level where she can cast a new level of spells? Does she automatically learn the 2 spells from the level she just learned?

2. Concerning familiars: When my character gets a familiar, do I have to make a new character sheet for the familiar? Also, do I get to control the familiar directly?

3. Scrolls: Can my character cast spells from scrolls above her caster level (For example, a 5th-level spell when she's only level 2)?

Thanks in advance.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 09:35 PM
1. Two new spells total. Usually, you take of the highest level possible. There are feats that modify this(Collegate Wizard lets you autolearn 4 per level instead of 2), and of course, you can learn new spells in the normal way(from scrolls, or other wizard's spellbooks).

2. You can...I tend to scribble my familiar info on the back of my sheet, but then, I tend to forget I even have one. A separate sheet probably isn't a bad idea. Yeah, you do get to directly control the familiar, but keep in mind that most familiars can't communicate quite like humans can(unless you pick one of the ones that speaks common, for instance), which can be important for passing info around the party.

3. You can, but you need to make a UMD(Use Magic Device) check. In general, unless you have a really good UMD skill, which is rare for wizards, you'll be better off just holding onto the scroll till you're the appropriate level.

Edit: Oh yeah, and welcome to wizard, it's one of my favorite classes. =)

Milskidasith
2009-10-22, 09:37 PM
1. Any two spells of a level you know.

2. You can get your own character sheet for one. However they are only liabilities and a bonus to certain things. They aren't worth it. You can trade them out for useful things with UA variants.

3. Yes, it's possible. However, it takes a CL check of 1+the scrolls CL. So a level 2 wizard (CL 2 in most cases) casting a fifth level spell (CL 9) would have to make a DC 10 check with a 1d20+2. Not unlikely, but it's possible you fail.

sadi
1)You get 2 free spells of any level you know free in your book without having to pay the 100 gp/level cost to scribe.

2)I normally just use a note card for animal companions/familiars. Let me be the first to tell you familiars are xp traps waiting to spring.

3)I know you can use wands without any rolls as long as it is on your spell list, to cast a scroll on your spell list you need to make a caster level check to cast it. Under the activation are the prereqs for it.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm

Crafty Cultist
1. a wizard gains two spells per level of any level they can cast
2. depends on your DM
3. you can cast a spell with a caster level above yours with a successful spellcraft check

Milskidasith
2009-10-22, 09:39 PM
Well, I was ninja'd, but people are getting it wrong (Sadi excluded). Spellcraft has nothing to do with scrolls, and UMD is only for casting spells you can't learn (divine spells, for a wizard). It's a CL check (and an easy one) to cast spells you can't normally know.

elonin
2009-10-22, 09:40 PM
So, I'm playing my first DnD game, and I'm playing a wizard. (What? I wanted to play a wizard! It's fun rewriting reality to your whim! Plus if I were a DnD PC, I'd be a wizard too...) In any case, I've got a couple of questions:

1. When my wizard levels up, I know she gets 2 new spells. But are these spells of her highest caster level, or 2 spells from every caster level known? Or can she choose 2 new spells from any caster level she knows. What if she reaches a level where she can cast a new level of spells? Does she automatically learn the 2 spells from the level she just learned?

2. Concerning familiars: When my character gets a familiar, do I have to make a new character sheet for the familiar? Also, do I get to control the familiar directly?

3. Scrolls: Can my character cast spells from scrolls above her caster level (For example, a 5th-level spell when she's only level 2)?

Thanks in advance.

Wizards are great to play. You get two free spells in your spell book every level. Though most people would choose the highest level they can (to save money), you can select a spell of any level you know. It's a good idea to run those by the dm.

For your familiar: You can use another sheet or just copy the few details you'll need. Yup you will be able to control the familiar, it's connected to your wizard through a special bond.

It's possible to use a scroll above the level you can cast, but it involves risk. You make a caster level check (d20+your caster level) the dc will be the minimum level of the scroll. If this fails then something bad happens.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 09:41 PM
Well, I was ninja'd, but people are getting it wrong (Sadi excluded). Spellcraft has nothing to do with scrolls, and UMD is only for casting spells you can't learn (divine spells, for a wizard). It's a CL check (and an easy one) to cast spells you can't normally know.

Good catch! That makes it a ton easier to pull off.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-22, 09:43 PM
Well, I was ninja'd, but people are getting it wrong (Sadi excluded). Spellcraft has nothing to do with scrolls

Synergy
If you have 5 or more ranks in Spellcraft, you get a +2 bonus on Use Magic Device checks related to scrolls.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Decipher Script, you get a +2 bonus on Use Magic Device checks related to scrolls.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Use Magic Device, you get a +2 bonus to Spellcraft checks made to decipher spells on scrolls.

sadi
2009-10-22, 09:45 PM
So much ninja action... Let me also offer up a nice guide with lots of information about spells and feats and such.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002

CoffeeIncluded
2009-10-22, 09:47 PM
Thank you!

(Uhh, what do you mean by xp traps?)

Tyndmyr
2009-10-22, 09:49 PM
Well, if the familiar dies, it hurts you pretty badly. Thus, it's best to be a bit cautious with them. Some books have optional features you can take instead of a familiar, and some of those are pretty nifty.

Now, familiars do have their advantages...so long as you ensure they don't bite the dust. =)

sadi
2009-10-22, 09:50 PM
Xp trap, is what it sounds like. A trap that will eventually go off costing you lots of experience when it dies, like 200 per level, half if you make a dc 15 fort save I believe.

Milskidasith
2009-10-22, 09:51 PM
Synergy
If you have 5 or more ranks in Spellcraft, you get a +2 bonus on Use Magic Device checks related to scrolls.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Decipher Script, you get a +2 bonus on Use Magic Device checks related to scrolls.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Use Magic Device, you get a +2 bonus to Spellcraft checks made to decipher spells on scrolls.

Spellcraft is not directly used in the checks for UMD, then. CURSE YOU! :P

CoffeeIncluded
2009-10-22, 09:53 PM
Ah.

...Still, playing in character, my character would get a familiar regardless. Her main motivation is that she's searching for a missing friend. Having a hawk familiar function as a scout of sorts would be too great an opportunity to pass up.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-22, 09:55 PM
Spellcraft is not directly used in the checks for UMD, then. CURSE YOU! :P

My pleasure.

elonin
2009-10-22, 10:16 PM
Darn look at all the posts that ninja'd my first one. Forget about UMD just make a CL check and as long as the level is close to what you can cast it isn't likely that you'll fail.

Zaydos
2009-10-22, 10:25 PM
Synergy

Yes but a wizard can cast wizard scrolls without UMD or Spellcraft, it is a fairly easy CL check unless the spell is vastly beyond you. The DC is only scrolls CL +1 so not too hard.

The synergy bonus is useful for rogues who have to pretend to have the spell and when you are too lazy to use Read Magic to auto decipher scrolls (and even then by mid levels you barely ever need to roll).

taltamir
2009-10-22, 10:35 PM
familiars are great... just:
1. Get the spells / items to protect it
2. Don't use it in combat.
3. Do use it out of combat.

Most of its abilities and bonuses depend on it being close by, the basically you want it in your pocket, not out in the field of battle.

Familiars are not meant for combat (well, not unless you are sneaky about it), if it dies you lose XP (can make you go down a level) and you can't get a new one for a while.

As far as spells go...
Lets say you just made caster level 5. You can now learn and cast spell level 3 spells. SL x 2 - 1 = CL required
You could chose to learn two level 1 spells, but that would be pointless. A spell takes SL pages in book. (cantrips take 1). So a spell level 3 spell, like fireball, will take 3 pages in your book. Costing 300 gp worth of magic ink just to write into your book (free if gotten at level up), a level 1 spell takes 100 gp worth of magic ink to write.

Now, to convince a random wizard to ALLOW you to copy a spell from their spellbook (cheaper than copying it out of a scroll, as the spellbook is not harmed in the process), you must pay them based on the spell level. They might require you teach them a spell of equal level.
Or you can waste a scroll (it is destroyed by the process). A scroll costs CL x SL x 25. Most scrolls use the minimum CL to cast said spell to save on costs. So a SL3 spell requires CL5. So 5 x 3 x 25 = 375 gp. While a level 1 scroll is just 25 gp.

So overall your costs to buy a spell assuming buying a min level scroll:
Spell Level 3: 375 gp minimum for scroll and 300 gp for magic ink = 675 gp
Spell Level 1: 25 gp minimum for scroll and 100 gp for magic ink = 125 gp

Note that spell books are of value and can be sold for half the cost of their magic ink. So writing a level 3 spell into your book increases its sell price by 150 gp.

You are allowed to trade spells with NPC wizards. (then you just need to use magic ink). Where a higher level spell is better leverage for trading than a lower level one.
You are allowed to make items for sale, converting XP to gp essentially. (have to talk to the DM about how many buyers you can find)