PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if Roy went back to the Oracle's tower again?

Shale
2009-10-22, 11:00 PM
I seriously doubt it'll ever come up, but after Roy managed to sneak his memories out through a loophole in the Oracle's memory charm, what would happen if he entered and exited Sunken Valley normally? Would he forget everything that happened while he was spying on Haley & co, or just the events of the more recent trip?

SadisticFishing
2009-10-22, 11:07 PM
Hrm. Good question. We will probably never know.

Darius1020
2009-10-23, 12:06 AM
wow, i've been wondering this since i first read that comic

my guess: it'll be just like normal, because if the memory charm works for people visiting, then they would have to walk into the warded area, and since roy didn't walk in, he just appeared, he'd retain his memories

factotum
2009-10-23, 01:36 AM
The Oracle is on a completely different continent, and is in a position on that continent that puts him a LONG way away from the only other gate in contention (Kraagor's). I don't think we're likely to see him again before the prophecy Roy learned (e.g. about Belkar's death) is no longer an issue.

FerhagoRosewood
2009-10-23, 01:45 AM
Hilarity. And I would love it.

The Oracle is on a completely different continent, and is in a position on that continent that puts him a LONG way away from the only other gate in contention (Kraagor's). I don't think we're likely to see him again before the prophecy Roy learned (e.g. about Belkar's death) is no longer an issue.

Which kinda bums me out when thinking about it, actually. The Oracle holds a soft spot in my heart for not only his tone of humor & speaking, but the fact that he's a devout follower of Tiamat (My first character's religion; see avie).

Alysar
2009-10-23, 02:02 AM
Except that he doesn't remember it now anyway. He has no memories of his time in the afterlife.

Shale
2009-10-23, 02:07 AM
Nah, all that was blocked out was his time in Celestia. He still remembers everything that happened outside the pearly gates.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Draco Dracul
2009-10-23, 02:07 AM
Except that he doesn't remember it now anyway. He has no memories of his time in the afterlife.

He has memories of everything in the area outside the gate, just not the ones beyond the gate.

Hurkyl
2009-10-23, 02:13 AM
Would he forget everything that happened while he was spying on Haley & co, or just the events of the more recent trip?
Clearly, he should forget everything that happened between entering the valley and leaving. For example, everything that has happened since being resurrected....

Asta Kask
2009-10-23, 04:26 AM
I think part of the (out-of-comic) reason Belkar killed the Oracle was so that the party wouldn't return to the Oracle every time they needed to find their wallets. I wouldn't blame the Oracle if he refused to see them again.

AxeD
2009-10-23, 04:29 AM
I wonder if you can make a will save to avoid forgetting/ getting your memory re-written.

Does anyone have any idea of how the sunken-valley's-memory-wiper might work in a regular d&d game?

hamishspence
2009-10-23, 04:32 AM
There are a few spells and psionic powers that modify memory.

Or it could be a divine effect- deities can do more than mortals can, often- and might be able to set up an automatic "selective memory wipe" effect.

Atcote
2009-10-23, 06:31 AM
I think part of the (out-of-comic) reason Belkar killed the Oracle was so that the party wouldn't return to the Oracle every time they needed to find their wallets. I wouldn't blame the Oracle if he refused to see them again.

But they don't really remember KILLING the Oracle, all they know is that Belkar killed SOMEONE; probably be Oracle, but if they still need divined advice, he'd still probably be on the list of options.

As to the OP's question... That's been concerning me since Roy said he can't remember much about the afterlife... But he has full memory of Belkar's time left at least (and depending on how much he remembers, he may actually recall that the Oracle is still alive, kicking, and about to be eaten and defecated out). But as Rich bothered to have him retain all those memories (explicitly stating it), I don't think he'll lose them from the memory charm.

factotum
2009-10-23, 06:56 AM
As to the OP's question... That's been concerning me since Roy said he can't remember much about the afterlife... But he has full memory of Belkar's time left at least

What he explicitly said, back in #666, was this:

I remember the clouds, and my father, and a glowing ball of light. And I remember what I saw when I was floating around down here. But beyond the Big Golden Gate...it's all a blur.

So, like the others have already said, he remembers the Oracle's prediction quite clearly (because he was "floating around down here" when he heard it).

Jagos
2009-10-23, 07:36 AM
He still remembers his hot mom...

Morquard
2009-10-23, 07:52 AM
But they don't really remember KILLING the Oracle, all they know is that Belkar killed SOMEONE; probably be Oracle, but if they still need divined advice, he'd still probably be on the list of options.

That was back then, since Roy remembers it all he told them. In #666 he told Haley that belkar killed the Oracle.

derfenrirwolv
2009-10-23, 08:02 AM
I think he will be back at the tower again, and yes, it will whipe his memmory on the way in.

The oracle didn't say IF you pass through the barrier, he said WHEN.

Lvl45DM!
2009-10-23, 08:31 AM
Ok so say if Roy DOES lose his memories...do you think the divine(possibly) charm is powerful enough to wipe out not only his memory but Hayley's memroy of him telling her about it?

OH and btw this is the mostrandom topic ive seen in a while :smallbiggrin:

archon_huskie
2009-10-23, 09:19 AM
So if they wrote down the experience while in the tower, and then left. would the memory charm also erase the paper.

nah, one of the Oracle's servants could steal it.

Herald Alberich
2009-10-25, 10:59 AM

Roy knows Belkar killed the Oracle, and that the Oracle was raised, and he told Haley. Asta Kask's point is not that the Order wouldn't try to visit the Oracle again, but that the Oracle's now so cheesed off at them he'd probably refuse point-blank to answer their questions.

Asta Kask
2009-10-25, 11:34 AM

No, but Oracle remembers and can tell them to bugger off.

Somewhere
2009-10-25, 02:41 PM
The Oracle also already knew that would happen (hence the making of a village to set off the mark). That knowledge hasn't stopped him from giving the Order prophecies in the past.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-25, 09:32 PM
I'd be angry they're taking a sidequest to progress the comic and thus stall it.:smallfurious: