PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations, Alarra!

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-23, 02:33 AM
I have just learned that our illustrious Alarra has earned herself a much sought after honor in her profession, and one that I feel compelled to brag about.

As you all may or may not know, Alarra is, by profession, an Art Therapist. That is, one who uses artwork in the therapeutic process. She is a Licensed Graduate Professional Counselor. This means, basically, that she's passed all of her tests for licensure but just doesn't have enough time on the job to be a full LPC. That makes my news this much more exciting!

She has recently learned that her Master's Thesis, research on the beneficial effects of artwork on reducing stress in high stress occupations and lifestyles (she can explain it better, and I expect she will), is going to be published in the trade journal The Arts in Psychotherapy.

I have never been more proud of you, honey!

As a side note, there's also been scuttlebutt that George Washington University may be interested in continuing the research she did for this thesis, and the hope is that it will be funded by the National Institutes of Health.

:cool::biggrin:

Helgraf
2009-10-23, 02:35 AM
Congratulations!

Shadow
2009-10-23, 02:37 AM
Awesomesauce!

Lord Herman
2009-10-23, 02:39 AM
Hooray! Congratulations, Alarra! :smallsmile:

Cobra_Ikari
What they said, plus snuggles! =D

*huggles*...congrats, you! =3

Jibar
Way to go! That's awesome.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-23, 02:41 AM
Awesome!
Grongrats Alarra, though you did actually made me accidentally try to log in as ''DD the congratulator'':smallredface::smalltongue:

Getting published? Awesome!

Also, if I'm ever in the states and your state, for more then a few months, I'l be sure to try some of that art therapy.:smallwink:

Playgrounder discount?:smallwink::smalltongue:

Serpentine
2009-10-23, 02:43 AM
Yay! :smallbiggrin:
>checks whether we have that journal at the uni library<

Yep :smallcool: Let us know when it comes out, so I can see whether the uni's got it yet!

SMEE
2009-10-23, 03:33 AM
Ohhh! Congratulations Alarra! :smallbiggrin:

Ichneumon
2009-10-23, 03:34 AM
Awesome, good luck and congratulations.:smallbiggrin:

V'icternus
2009-10-23, 03:42 AM
Awesome!

I'm both here to congratulate, and because I find the topic itself very interesting.

I look forward to seeing the inevitable wiki page mentioning our wonderful Goddess in the Playground. :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2009-10-23, 04:16 AM
i keep drawing houses & families...
but the houses are on fire...
and the families are killing each other in various ways...
do i need help?

...:smallredface:
sorry, i meant to say Congratulations!

Coidzor
2009-10-23, 04:19 AM
^:At least it's not the families on fire and the houses killing one another in new and interesting ways.

Congratulations, Madame! :smallbiggrin:

OverdrivePrime
2009-10-23, 06:04 AM
Wow, very awesome. Congratulations!

Anuan
2009-10-23, 06:14 AM
...THAT IS ONE OF THE COOLEST PROFESSION EVER ._. Also congrats.

banjo1985
2009-10-23, 06:18 AM
Nice!

Congrats Alarra...I may need stress therapy soon the way my life is tumbling along right now! :smallbiggrin:

Recaiden
2009-10-23, 06:27 AM
That's great to hear! Congratulations.

pendell
2009-10-23, 06:43 AM
I have just learned that our illustrious Alarra has earned herself a much sought after honor in her profession, and one that I feel compelled to brag about.

As you all may or may not know, Alarra is, by profession, an Art Therapist. That is, one who uses artwork in the therapeutic process. She is a Licensed Graduate Professional Counselor. This means, basically, that she's passed all of her tests for licensure but just doesn't have enough time on the job to be a full LPC. That makes my news this much more exciting!

She has recently learned that her Master's Thesis, research on the beneficial effects of artwork on reducing stress in high stress occupations and lifestyles (she can explain it better, and I expect she will), is going to be published in the trade journal The Arts in Psychotherapy.

As a side note, there's also been scuttlebutt that George Washington University may be interested in continuing the research she did for this thesis, and the hope is that it will be funded by the National Institutes of Health.

Hey, that's really cool! Congratulations!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Hyozo
2009-10-23, 06:53 AM
Wow, I'm impressed! Congratulations Alarra.

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-23, 07:14 AM
That's absolutely fantastic! Congratulations! :smallbiggrin:

smellie_hippie
2009-10-23, 07:24 AM
That's awesome Alarra! Congrats on the publications, and potentially continued research!

do i need help?

...:smallredface:

More than you can ever know... :smallamused:

Zar Peter
2009-10-23, 07:28 AM
Congratulations Alarra!

I is impressed.

pendell
2009-10-23, 07:39 AM
i keep drawing houses & families...
but the houses are on fire...
and the families are killing each other in various ways...
do i need help?

No, it just means you're a Warhammer 40K fan.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Haruki-kun
2009-10-23, 08:17 AM
Congratulations, Alarra.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/freeinternet.jpg

Flickerdart
2009-10-23, 09:15 AM
Exciting. I would very much like to read this thesis when it is published, though I expect tracking down that magazine will take some effort.

Trog
2009-10-23, 09:56 AM
*strolls in and reads OP*

((:smalleek: Wow. Just... wow. Extreeeeemely cool.

Kudos and congratulations! ^_^))

See, people?! Making Avatars is GOOD for you! :smallsmile:

Now go! Shoo! Draw! New Avatar week begins Monday, remember. Get a new one or we'll all gang up on you and beat you with Alarra's published material! :smallfurious:

*talks to someone off camera* See what Trog did there? Trog added the stress of getting beaten up by research papers. So according to the thesis drawing should now eliminate that stress. This opens a lot of new possibilities for fun. *wanders off to arm himself with trade journals*

IsaacTheHungry
2009-10-23, 10:02 AM

GW University? That's great if the scuttlebutt is true. I am somewhat familiar and have old school connections with the school. They should be able to do it justest. :smallcool:

Castaras
2009-10-23, 10:04 AM
Wow.

MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-23, 10:14 AM
Congratulations Alarra. I'm almost certain my uni'll have that journal, so I look forward to reading it when it comes out!

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!

And on a slightly different (but art related note) I was shocked when I saw my JesseCurlytar until I remembered Helgraf did a full Team Rocket one with me in it.

So, how does art therapy help shock? :smalltongue:

Thajocoth
2009-10-23, 10:39 AM
Congratulationsishness!

MethosH
2009-10-23, 04:41 PM
Congratulations! And I really mean it! For real! I know how it feels to have your scientific work valued like this! Congratulations on your achievement : )

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-23, 04:53 PM
Congratulations! Let me know when it hits print and I'll give it a read (and understand none of it probably :smallamused:). What a fantastic achievement, which just goes to show how awesome you are.

bluewind95
2009-10-23, 05:49 PM
Wow! That is indeed awesome! Congratulations!

Alarra
2009-10-23, 06:01 PM
I'll give it a read (and understand none of it probably :smallamused:). Don't be silly, it's very easy to understand. :smalltongue:

GW University? That's great if the scuttlebutt is true. I am somewhat familiar and have old school connections with the school. They should be able to do it justest. :smallcool:
My thesis adviser recently took a position there and has been talking to one of the professors at the medical school about rerunning my study on med students there. I would be co-investigating with them. She also sent me an email recently asking if I would be interested in teaching some courses there....which completely freaks me out, but I'm going to apply anyway. :smallsmile: I am giving a presentation there in April if nothing else.

...THAT IS ONE OF THE COOLEST PROFESSION EVER . I agree. And to think I had no idea it even existed when I decided to double major in Psychology and Art. :smallsmile:

do i need help?
I thought that had been established some time ago. :smallwink:

Thanks for all the congratulations, guys! I'm way excited. :smallbiggrin:

Istari
2009-10-23, 06:04 PM
Great Job
Celebratory Cake for everyone
http://www.giftlebanon.com/catalog/images/Choc-VanCake.gif

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-23, 06:05 PM
Teaching too? Awesome, 'Larra.

I wish my college got that magazine....I may have to ask my brother(he goes to uni, in a student city, so even though he studies History...:smalltongue:) to track the magazine down for me when that issue comes down.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-23, 07:16 PM
Holy crap that is awesometastic!

Felixaar
2009-10-23, 07:29 PM
Wowzers! Well done, Al.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-23, 07:30 PM
Go Alarra!:smallbiggrin:

Jacklu
2009-10-23, 08:57 PM
Awesome Allara! ^_^ Its always great news when a crapton of hard work pays off in the end like that.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-23, 10:01 PM
Awesome, Allara!

You bring honor to our homeland state.

Go Maryland! :smallbiggrin:

thorgrim29
2009-10-23, 11:01 PM
Grats Alarra. Out of curiosity, what kind of art? Painting, sculpture, music, something I forgot?

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-23, 11:04 PM
Huzzah! Congratulations! :smallbiggrin:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-10-23, 11:55 PM
Congrats Alarra! HUZZAH!!!!!

phoenixineohp
2009-10-24, 12:20 AM
Wow! Congratulations! That's fantastic!

Alarra
2009-10-24, 12:49 AM
Out of curiosity, what kind of art? Painting, sculpture, music, something I forgot? Well, my research was focused on visual journaling, but art therapy involves pretty much any kind of art...drawing, painting, sculpture, collage, masks, puppets....pretty much anything. Not music though, music therapy is its own area, though they do overlap quite a bit.

V'icternus
2009-10-24, 12:54 AM
Well, personally, I don't count certain kinds of music as "art"... most kinds are, but some just don't count.

In any case, I really want to find out all I can about this... it seems way more interesting than the lousy English Exam I just had to do... blech...

...Hmm, I wonder if there's some way to psychologically prepare me for schoolwork with art, so my mind doesn't wander so much...

caw
2009-10-24, 02:52 PM
way to go, congrats!

Lord Blace
2009-10-24, 03:24 PM
Congratulations, 'Larra-doodles! :smallbiggrin:

Pyrian
2009-10-24, 03:41 PM
Congratulations! :smallbiggrin:

Midnight Son
2009-10-24, 11:11 PM
I finally get my internet back up and running and I come on to see this?

Awesomeness is, of course, par for our goddess of puddings. Congrats.

Elfin
2009-10-25, 12:55 AM
Congratulations, Alarra! :smalltongue:

Philistine
2009-10-26, 01:11 AM
Impressive.

Upon further reflection: Most impressive.

billtodamax
2009-10-26, 01:16 AM
Congratulations Alarra! Sounds like a great opportunity.

Erothayce
2009-10-26, 01:24 AM
Oh man, Congratulations! That's so awesomely cool I can't even put it into words.

Coidzor
2009-10-26, 01:26 AM
Ziggy! Ziggy! Ziggy! AL RAH RAH RAH~! :smallbiggrin:

Supagoof
2009-10-26, 01:23 PM
That's just fantastic, and couldn't happen to a better person.

Now I just need to get a copy of it, then convince everyone in the office around here that video games are a form of art and we need them in the office to help reduce stress.

Alarra, do you think you could send me a copy but only use the find/replace feature in word to replace "art" with "video game"?:smallamused:

Congratulations!

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-10-26, 05:48 PM

This. Is. AWESOME!!! :smallcool:

I had a friend get published, along with his coworkers, when he was striving for his MD PhD, and being recognized in one's field in this way is no mean feat.

What's more, a university taking interest in wanting to continue said research means that someone in charge sat back and said, "Hmmm...This person may have something here." Should the research go forward, Alarra may well become "The Founding Mother of Why There Are Pretty Pictures in the Bomb Squad's Offices." :smallbiggrin:

Congrats, Alarra!

Erts
2009-10-26, 06:51 PM
:smallsmile: I agree, that is one of the coolest proffesions ever. Congratulations Alarra!

Penguinsushi
2009-10-28, 11:05 PM
Very awesome, Zeb - thanks for sharing.

CONGRATS, Alarra!!!

~PS

Lycan 01
2009-10-29, 12:20 AM
Oh my gosh, that is AWESOME!! :biggrin:

That is so totally cool! What did you say it would be in, and what issue? I'll have the pillage the magazine and journal section my college's library when it comes out...

I always kinda new art helped with stress, but it just didn't click that it was a good sort of therapy. Do you mostly do research and stuff, or do you have a hands-on role and actually help people with art therapy stuff?

My girlfriend is an Art Major, but she's thinking about looking into Psychology. I wonder if this would interest her? :smallconfused:

I also kinda want to go make a sock puppet now, since I've been so stressed out with school and stuff lately...

*scurries off to soothe his emotional agony by making his own Banjo puppet*

Once again, congratz! :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-29, 01:24 AM
She still has to do some revisioning to make it publication ready, but this journal only publishes 5 times a year, so it may be a bit of a wait. We will make absolutely certain, however, that once it's in print everyone will know where to find it. :smallcool:

Goof, unfortunately, the way that visual journaling works does not lend itself to find/replace the way that you'd like. Not to say that gaming wouldn't be helpful, but it would require a new study be done.

*ponders*

Yes. Yes, more research into this area is necessary. MUCH more research.

*plans day of video gaming to reduce stress*

The Valiant Turtle
2009-10-29, 08:25 PM
Belated Jaw-drop and Congratulations. That is supremely awesome.