PDA

View Full Version : Video version of OOTS

Leonnardum
2009-10-23, 04:31 AM
Hello,

I've been reading through the OOTS series, I'm only halfway, but it made me laugh as I never laughed before. It is very enjoyable, with a great sense of humour, and I would like to make a video version of it.

I would rather not give too many details since I am not sure I am posting in the right place, but I would like to speak to whoever I should in order to discuss this more :)

hamishspence
2009-10-23, 04:35 AM
The only person who can grant permission is The Giant.

And, my guess is, he's not ready to grant permission, at the moment.

I recommend that you check with the mods, before asking.

Sholos
2009-10-23, 04:36 AM
That would be Rich, and he is very likely to say no, if he gets back to you at all. The Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1) have a pertinent section towards the bottom labeled "Copyrighted Material and OotS Images".

hamishspence
2009-10-23, 05:36 AM
Films might struggle to capture some of the OOTS jokes that work best in print- especially fourth-wall breakers.

What might be feasible, could be an audiobook.

If a person can make a (very, very high quality) audio tape to be listened to while reading the strip, that might be quite popular.

Would still have to purchase copyright though.

hamishspence
2009-10-23, 07:13 AM
These are my guesses at what would appeal the most:

A format in which all the jokes- ones about speech bubbles, panels, fourth wall etc work- that is- basically, exactly like the actual comic, but with the characters moving.

Very good sound, animation, and voice acting.

Basically, I imagine it as akin to the start of some of those old Disney movies- where you have a book- it opens- inside is the story in pictures- and the characters begin to move.

In the Harry Potterverse, there are books exactly like modern ones, but with the characters moving and talking as you read the book.

I imagine an OoTS movie as like one of those books- but appearing on screen.

I don't know if such a movie could ever happen, but it is a nice thought.

Leonnardum
2009-10-23, 07:29 AM
Well, just a few thoughts...

This will be a non-profit thing.

I already have an engine planned for how the video would look, but rather not reveal it unless I have some answers from the one(s) in charge.

About the book with moving characters, I am not entirely sure (it is possible, but not yet in my grasp) how to come up with that, but these things can be talked about.

hamishspence
2009-10-23, 07:34 AM
it would be more a case of the movie appearing how you'd expect such a book to appear.

As in- you have speech bubbles (with colours, in some cases) You have panels- with visible edges.

The art style, if the figures stopped moving, would be such that it would be almost impossible to tell that The Giant hadn't drawn it- and there would be moments in every panel where the scene matches the drawn scene.

(so that all the various stick-figure jokes would still work)

Also, so phrases like
"At least I landed back in panel"

"When a character says "it sure is taking a long time" it means that time has passed between panels"

and the like, would actually work.

Leonnardum
2009-10-23, 07:51 AM
Yes, those are some good things pointed out. Such things were indeed on my mind, and I am still thinking how they would come out in the video, maybe having to change some moments by a very small amount (such as shadows not being in a comic book, yet being in the video series).

hamishspence
2009-10-23, 08:01 AM
the important thing is- the Giant makes his living out of the comic books- so, however it is done, it would need to avoid devaluing them.

Hence my thought of it actually looking like you are reading an OoTS comic book that has "come to life"

Tirian
2009-10-23, 11:19 AM
I don't want to put you down, but if Rich woke up this morning thinking that he really wanted an animated version of OOTS, he would go with a professional firm instead of a fan project. No one doubts that you would put your best efforts into it and that you really think that you're helping Rich, but the stark truth is that there has been a long line of well-meaning fans who have forced Rich to spend his energy shutting them down. Don't be the next.

Instead, invent your own stick figure characters, write adventures for them, and animate that. See, that's all yours.

pita
2009-10-23, 11:57 AM
I actually don't know. If it's a non-profit thing that only takes things from the online strips, I don't think Rich would object. IMHO you should send him a PM and ask him, explaining your ideas and everything.

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-23, 02:14 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: With a full understanding that you are motivated by a love of OotS, which I appreciate and agree with...

Any such work would certainly require Rich's consent, whether the project is non-profit or not. This isn't even a project that could plausibly claim to be fair use. Please seek, but certainly do not expect to receive, such approval through private channels.