PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid monsters in D&D- inspired by OoTS 322

hamishspence
2009-10-23, 08:41 AM
When I saw this comic:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0322.html

I wondered- Has anyone actually tried to stat out some of these?

And also- has anyone taken real animal names that sound like one of these, and tried to make a D&D-style version?

We already have an example of a Cat-fish: the D&D style sea lion :smallbiggrin:

What else?

FlyingWhale
2009-10-23, 09:30 AM
Well.... Yes. Hackmaster... It's the OG of making really stupid things...kill you very effectively. It's how I started Dungeons and Dragons!!!

HackMaster-Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HackMaster)

Yep. :smallcool: You, sir... Thanks for making brain happen :smallsmile:

In "related" "news"... Son of a .... Chainmail Bikini is no more! How could this be?! They brought the joy of the Displacer Moose, and the Dogsnake!!! :smallfrown:

Anyway you can still find the first ten pages....nvm that link closed too... crap.

Anyway look up hackmaster, your local hobby place might have a copy :)

hamishspence
2009-10-23, 09:37 AM
I was thinking I'd like to see some people's own versions, as well as Hackmaster ones.

Especially ones which play on real animal names.

The bullfrog- a Dire Toad with a gore attack, Powerful Charge, etc.

The horsefly- a giant riding insect, possibly with a trampling ability.

Etc.

FlyingWhale
2009-10-23, 09:41 AM
I was thinking I'd like to see some people's own versions, as well as Hackmaster ones.

Especially ones which play on real animal names.

The bullfrog- a Dire Toad with a gore attack, Powerful Charge, etc.

The horsefly- a giant riding insect, possibly with a trampling ability.

Etc.

Oh snap! You mean like, actual ones you could see and use in a game! haha I thought it was for silly, play times:smalltongue:

In that case... Lemme put the mind on the burner and AAHHH FIREEEEEE

hamishspence
2009-10-23, 09:42 AM
I like puns. And these sort of monsters would definitely result in groans from players :smallamused:

FlyingWhale
2009-10-23, 09:48 AM
Hey! Want me to post up stats and all that too? That'd keep me occupied for hours..........I've always wanted purpose...lol

hamishspence
2009-10-23, 09:50 AM
I'd like to see people doing that- yes. If they like the notion.

I was thinking of putting up some monster stats of my own- but being not very experienced I'd like to see the stats devised by others as well.

Debihuman
2009-10-23, 10:22 AM
I say go for it, Flying Whale. I'd love to see what you come up with. In my not so humble opinion, there are never too many monsters for D&D, especially goofy monsters.

BTW, I think that comic relates to the duckbunny in Dragon #243. Over on Enworld's creature catalogue, the duckbunny has been given 3.5 stats. Just in case someone really needed to see what all the fuss was about: http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=854

Debby

FlyingWhale
2009-10-23, 10:26 AM
Dogsnake
Not made by me... Dammit I made my own then found these... GRAWRRR
Dog Snake

Medium magical beast
Hit Dice: 4d10+4 (34 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., swim 20 ft.
AC: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+4
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Constrict, Improved Grab, Poison, Yip, Sade Brown Eyes
Special Qualities: Scent, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Balance +11, Climb +8, Hide +7, Listen +7, Spot +7, Survival +5 (+9 when tracking by scent), Swim +8
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Track (B)
Environment: Temperate marshes
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Half standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

A large snake with the head of a dog emerges out of the underbrush. Its canine face is covered in soft brown fur, and those dark needy eyes disarm one's common sense – but beneath the neck, rigid green and yellow scales alternate down the thick, muscular trunk.

Dog snakes are cute, if voracious, hunters. Their preferred game is small rodents, though the occasional water fowl is sometimes consumed. Dog snakes can be encountered anywhere that discount book shops are found, due to the tendency for those sorts of shops to accumulate rats. Dog snakes can be trained, but often times their poison is more trouble than it's worth.
Combat

Dog snakes tend to be non-confrontational, but if backed into a corner, or very hungry, they are willing to expose themselves to danger. If it should come to combat, the dog snake relies on its Yip and Sad Brown Eyes abilities, weakening opponents or charming them into complacency. If seriously threatened though, it will bite, injecting its poison and attempting to constrict the opponent. Some have taken to calling this form of attack a "dog pile."

Improved Grab (Ex): If the dog snake makes a successful bite attack, it may attempt to start a grapple without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it establishes the hold, it may then constrict.

Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple, the dog snake deals 1d3 points of damage.

Poison (Ex): On a successful bite attack, the dog snake injects a powerful poison into the opponent's body. The dog snake's poison deals 1d6 primary and secondary Constitution damage, with a Fortitude DC of 11 to avoid.

Yip (Ex): As a standard action a dog snake may make a special sound based attack whereby it yips excitedly, causing its opponents to be in effect, shaken in a radius of 60 ft. centered on the dog snake. In addition, casting spells becomes more difficult, and all within range who wish to cast spells must make Concentration checks (DC 12) as though threatened. This is not a fear effect, it is a sonic attack, therefore creatures immune to fear are affected – but creatures that cannot hear are not. The effects of the Yip last as long as the dog snake keeps yipping.

Sad Brown Eyes (Su): Should the dog snake make eye contact (as a standard action) with an opponent, the opponent must make a Will saving throw (DC 15) or be charmed, as the spell charm person. They will regard the dog snake as friendly, and will not harm it even it if harm – though they do get to make another saving throw (with a +2 bonus) to shrug off the effect each time the dog snake attacks.

Skills: A dog snake has a +4 racial bonus to Hide, Listen, and Spot checks. Furthermore, the dog snake has a +8 racial bonus to Balance, Climb, and Swim checks (and may take 10 on both Climb and Swim checks, even if rushed or threatened – it may also use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. The dog snake uses its Dexterity or Strength modifier, whichever is higher, on Climb checks). They also have a +4 bonus to Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Displacer Moose

Large magical beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+10 (50 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
AC: 14 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flatfooted 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+12
Attack: Gore +8 melee (1d8+3) or hoof +8 melee (1d6+3) or tentacle +8 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Gore +8 melee (1d8+3) or 2 hooves +8 melee (1d6+3) or 4 tentacles +8 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, sensitive displacement, resistance to ranged attacks
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Hide +10, Listen +7, Move Silently +3, Spot +4, Survival +5
Feats: Alertness, Endurance (B), Toughness
Environment: Temperate hills or plain
Organization: Solitary, pair, family (2-5), or herd (6-15)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: 1/10 coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Large); 11-19 HD (Huge); 20-25 HD (Gargantuan)

This beast looks similar to a starving indigo moose at first glance, but the scarlet eyes and the four thick, muscular tentacles waving over its shoulders push the notion of a normal animal far from one's mind. The tentacles end in spade-shaped pads whose inside surface is studded with cruel barbs, and the needle-like teeth that line its mouth glisten with saliva.

The displacer moose is a terrifying creature from the primal epochs of the world. They are rare now, hunted almost to extinction by both displacer beast and men alike. In the bastions of wilderness though, some still live, thinking alien thoughts, and bringing down their natural prey (everything) with a power and grace unmatched by their mundane cousins.

A displacer moose stands at about 7 feet tall at the shoulder, and can weigh up to 950 pounds. Females are slightly larger, but the bull displacer moose has a gigantic set of antlers that can grow to 5 or 6 feet across. The fur is a deep blue-violet color, and tends to be thick.
Combat

Although they are not as aggressive as the displacer beast, displacer moose are quite territorial and will attack anything that wanders into their range, except another displacer moose. Their strength and natural weapons makes them a formidable foe. Only the bull displacer moose can make the gore attack.

Sensitive Displacement (Su): The displacer moose is sheathed in a light bending glamor similar to that of the displacer beast. This displacement effect is less reliable however, and any time the displacer moose takes sonic damage, the displacement effect fails briefly for 1d4 rounds. At all other times, the displacer moose has a 50% mischance to hit it, because it is difficult to see. Only a true seeing or similar spell can pierce this displacement effect, as see invisibility has no effect.

Resistance to Ranged Attacks (Su): Displacer moose have a +2 resistance bonus to saves against magical ranged attacks (excluding ranged touch attacks) that specifically target the displacer moose.

Skills: Displacer moose have a +4 racial bonus to Survival checks, and a +8 racial bonus to Hide so long as their Sensitive Displacement is in effect.

Link can be found...here (http://www.dlnexus.com/fan/rules/18675.aspx).

FlyingWhale
2009-10-23, 10:51 AM
Sperm Whale
Sperm Whale NSFW (http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh)

FlyingWhale
2009-10-23, 12:23 PM
A real one this time... first shot at messing around but making a fairly serious one. I'll get to the individual in a moment.

Firefly (swarm)

Firefly
<Fine> <Magical Beast> <Swarm>
Hit Dice: 5d10 (27hp)
Initiative: 5
Speed: 20 ft.(20 ft. fly perfect maneuverability)
Armor Class: 19 (10, +2 size, +5 Dex, +2 natural), 17 touch, 14 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: -/-
Attack: Swarm
Full Attack: Swarm
Space/Reach: 0 ft. / 0 ft.
Special Attacks: Swarm Attack, Flare-up, Distraction
Special Qualities: Vulnerable 5 Fire, swarm traits, immune to weapon damage, Darkvision 60ft, low-light vision., Enthrall (Sp)
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +1
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 20, Con 10, Int 4, Wis 10, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +6, Listen +8, Move Silently +6, Spot +8
Feats: Augment Ex(Distraction), Ability Focus(Enthrall), Ability Focus(Distraction)
Environment: Warm Deserts, Temperate Forests or Marshes.
Organization: Solitary or Hive(2-3 swarms)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Gems
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: -

Description/background/characteristics:

A Firefly swarm is a beautiful sight to see at night under a clear sky. An idividual Firefly appears to be a stag beetle with a clear carapace filled with a glowing amber liquid. When the legs of the Firefly rub together, it releases a cascade of tiny red-white sparks. Some fly high into the air and burst into a shower of sparks and the same glowing liquid inside themselves.

A cloud of glowing embers, yellow to red, stir in the air singing a song of flames. The grinding of their legs is almost hypnotic, begging you to come close and bask in their glow as the air around you grows quickly hot, their chorus increasingly louder.

Combat:

Firefly swarms come out at night to hunt, preferring darkness to lure their prey to them. Predatory instinct and slight intelligence, they attract prey to them by glowing and rubbing their legs together to create a soft hum. When they have gathered their target(s) close enough they engulf it, instantly burning all they touch. Using their

Ability descriptions:

Flare-up: (Ex) When reduced to 0hp the Firefly swarm may combust as one instead of fleeing to their hive. The Firefly swarm secretes a small ammount of the liquid in their bodies, then spark their legs together to ignite the substance causing a small explosion. 1d6 fire damage to target in square, and 1 point of fire damage to all adjacent squares. Each HD after 1 of the swarm deals 1d6 additional fire damage. Characters at risk of catching fire are allowed a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid this fate. If a character’s clothes or hair catch fire, he takes 1d6 points of damage immediately. In each subsequent round, the burning character must make another Reflex saving throw. Failure means he takes another 1d6 points of damage that round. Success means that the fire has gone out. (That is, once he succeeds on his saving throw, he’s no longer on fire.)

A character on fire may automatically extinguish the flames by jumping into enough water to douse himself. If no body of water is at hand, rolling on the ground or smothering the fire with cloaks or the like permits the character another save with a +4 bonus.

Those unlucky enough to have their clothes or equipment catch fire must make DC 15 Reflex saves for each item. Flammable items that fail take the same amount of damage as the character.

Enthrall: (Sp) 3/day. As spell, CL 5, DC12 Will save.

Distraction (Ex) Any living creature vulnerable to a swarm’s damage that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated and dazzled for 1 round; a Fortitude save DC14(DC 10 + 2 (˝ swarm’s HD) + 0 (swarm’s Con modifier), +2 (Ability Focus)) negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 22 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 22 Concentration check.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Lore:

DC15 Nature: The Firefly is a small, beetle which is extremely beautiful and flies in enormous swarms at night. The creature is often worn on buckles (dead of course) and broaches as its shell is encrusted with garnets and other rustic stones. (Reveal Swarm description)
DC20 Nature: A cunning predator, the Firefly hunts in swarms attracting their prey with soft hums and warmth from their bodies. When its prey is distracted by their display they quickly heat the air around them and immediately start biting off flesh.(Reveal Distraction, and Enthrall)
DC25 Nature: Reveal all information.

Eloel
2009-10-23, 12:34 PM
Do I really need to point anyone to Impossible Creatures?

Athaniar
2009-10-23, 12:38 PM
In "related" "news"... Son of a .... Chainmail Bikini is no more! How could this be?! They brought the joy of the Displacer Moose, and the Dogsnake!!! :smallfrown:
:)
Didn't it close down months ago?

FlyingWhale
2009-10-23, 12:50 PM
Didn't it close down months ago?

I guess... I read the series when it was still being made... I remember reading the last one and I was sad... But I think that was at least a year if not more ago... On another note, There is a carnival/fair over here and I will be there all night after Olive Garden with sos, but tomorrow is another day! I'm excited to come back and see all the goodies :smallbiggrin:

The carnival should give me some inspiration for some actually funny/impossible/strange ones. Adios, amigo(a)s de internet!:smallamused:Ah language, the sounds that come out of our mouths that mean things.

DracoDei
2009-10-23, 03:53 PM
Well, double check... it sounds interesting.

FlyingWhale
2009-10-28, 02:29 PM
Thanks Debihuman!!!

Sorry I have been away for so long! I WILL RETURN ASAP!!!!!!!!!! And aye.. its true Draco...

GreatWyrmGold
2009-10-28, 03:00 PM
I'll add one!

Ducksnake
As tiny viper, but no poison, CR 1/4

(Okay, not much, but it's pretty good, and I'm in a bit of a hurry.)