PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Dungeon Design and Trap XP

Thajocoth
2009-10-23, 10:34 AM
Are the following traps, or simply interesting terrain? If they're traps, what level do you estimate they are? Basically I'm trying to get XP estimates for things. Party level will be between 4 & 6 at the dungeon's start.

Reversing Wind: Every round, the wind in the room alternated between going towards or away from the room's entrance on it's initiative. At the start of each creature's turn, they must make a save not to be moved 2 squares in the direction the wind is going. Flying creatures take a -2 penalty to the save. Creatures holding on to something in the room gain a +2 bonus to the save. This movement provokes opportunity attacks.

Flammable Air: The first time in the encounter that somebody uses a power with the fire keyword, or carries into the room/ignites any source of fire, all creatures in the room take 2d6 fire damage and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends). An acrobatics check with a hard DC (Approx 20+1/2 level) takes half damage and ongoing 2 fire damage (save ends).

Acid Pool: If a creature starts their turn in or enters a square of acid, they take 1d6 acid damage + ongoing 3 acid damage (save ends). They cannot take this damage more than once per round and they cannot save from the condition while standing in a square of acid. The acid is also difficult terrain.

Enemy is as normal, but tethered to the wall by a chain, unable to exceed a certain distance from it unless cut free. If released, it'll probably run away (but still grant XP). How much less XP are they worth for having that restriction?

What these are all for:
The players will be exploring some caves in a nearby mountain range. Unknown to them, it's a primordial who fall in the battle of the primordials vs the gods long ago. However, she's not dead... She's just in a coma. The Flammable Air is for the main entrance (she's facing away from the players), and there will also be Green Slime Traps, rats, ooze creatures... And very uneven terrain (for simplicity, most intestinal walls have crumbled, but it leaves behind some walls, some low ceilings, some ledges, and lots of difficult terrain.) The Acid Pool is for the stomach, and the Reversing Wind (and stirges) for the lungs. There's a hole in one lung leading to the heart, which has a cracked orb or arcane energy, that if healed (via macguffin), the players will need to escape before the primordial fully heals (escape scene) and if pulled out (probably Athletics, if they're not too creative), it's worth $$$. The macguffin to heal it is found south from the exit (mouth) in another cave guarded by Chuuls. Inside is a rock golem of some sort chained to a wall as described above and two powerful healing orbs. They can be used as an implement, and have the following power: (consumable) As the Raise Dead ritual, but with no cost. (Sell value: As one casting of Raise Dead each.) Using them both on the heart would heal the primordial, and they could make a very big friend (who's also stuck in the ground for now).

Healing her's worth a lot more XP (but requires lots of knowledge checks to learn what's going on here) while looting her's worth a lot more $$$. The party's druid, being a biologist IRL, will probably figure it out... Maybe.

I haven't added/decided what's in all the offshoot rooms yet (like the pancreas).

EDIT: I've just realized that this might belong in Homebrew... If so, is this movable?

Oracle_Hunter
2009-10-23, 01:25 PM
There's the article (http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/20080818a) on WotC's site that I use.

Oh, and remember that Hazardous Terrain and Traps both use the same mechanic. It doesn't matter what you call them.

Thajocoth
2009-10-23, 02:23 PM
There's the article (http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/20080818a) on WotC's site that I use.

Oh, and remember that Hazardous Terrain and Traps both use the same mechanic. It doesn't matter what you call them.

You're supposed to give XP for hazardous terrain? So, like, if there's a pit in the room that's clearly visible (not a false floor pit), that's supposed to be worth XP? Seems a little odd to me. Razorvine doesn't say anything about being worth XP, and it's a form of Hazardous Terrain from one of the books. (I think it was MotP.)

Looking at that document, the Acid Pool is dealing "Low" damage for level 1, so I guess it's level 1... Minion per square of it. I'm thinking this encounter might have worms and oozes with acid resistance, so I suppose the acid should definitely be worth something. Changing it to 1d4+1 acid + ongoing 2, which is less than low damage for level 1, so level 1 minion it is.

The Reversing Wind's situation isn't covered by that document, as it doesn't deal damage. It just moves you. It uses a saving throw (no bonus 1d20 DC 10) to avoid the movement. 10 is pretty much the same as "easy DC of their level", except there's no bonus, so it's more like "moderate DC of the player's level". Though, it's harming the stirges more than the players (They take a -2 penalty to the save because they're flying.) I think I just answered my own question for this one... Just a terrain element. Worth no XP.

The Flammable Air is dealing low level 1 limited damage once if triggered, but to everyone (players, rats, oozes), setting everything aflame. The enemies will not be capable of triggering it. So, it's certainly a trap... DC is a hard DC of their own level, probably about 22. I guess it's worth a level 1 standard monster of XP then.

Doesn't help me with the rock guy though. I guess it really depends on what I pick... If I de-level an Earth Titan 10 levels, they're still just as powerful chained as not, but if I go with a de-leveled Rockfist Smasher, they can simply stand out of reach and blast him until he's dead. So, really, I should just use a base creature that the tether won't matter much for, and not subtract any XP.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-10-23, 03:47 PM
Um, unless the tethered guy has a ranged attack, I'd make him 0 XP. He'll just be target practice for the party's Ranger :smalltongue:

As for Hazardous Terrain - I'm talking about Hazards; natural stuff that is going to hinder party combat. Preferably stuff that the locals are immune to / aware of.

I think you've got this pretty well down. If it's something that needs to be overcome / bypassed, then XP. If it's just something that's there, no XP.