PDA

View Full Version : Amensia Spell (PEACH)

Lysander
2009-10-23, 10:49 AM
No, not the big scary level 9 Programmed Amnesia. This is your somewhat less sinister Men In Black red flashy thing. What wizard wouldn't want this:

Amnesia
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

The subject loses all memories acquired up to 1 minute back per caster level. The erased period must start at the present. If the subject's surroundings have not changed significantly since before the erased period they might not notice, or assume they had been daydreaming. A large change will be perceived as an incongruous jump in time. A person is freed from a Suggestion spell if they lose their memory of the suggestion, but memory of a geas and other higher level compulsions cannot be erased. Heal can restore lost memories if cast within a day of erasure, but after that point nothing short of a wish or miracle can restore them.

Material
Lotus petal

Silverscale
2009-10-23, 02:27 PM
No, not the big scary level 9 Programmed Amnesia. This is your somewhat less sinister Men In Black red flashy thing. What wizard wouldn't want this:.........

OOO I Like this. If you're going for the Men In Black thing, it should a Focus of small silver rod tipped with a ruby that you have to hold up while you're casting and then part of the spell effect is the ruby quickly flashes red......Something like this.....

"As you hold up the ruby tipped rod and say the short incantation, the ruby flashed and your enemy forgets the last several minutes of activity."

Lapak
2009-10-23, 02:44 PM
I like it. I put together a similar spell, called 'Memory Lapse', for a spell contest a few weeks ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7064354&postcount=13).

You might find it complements this one. Mine has to be cast before the memories you want erased, but affects more than one creature.

Lysander
2009-10-23, 03:10 PM
I like it. I put together a similar spell, called 'Memory Lapse', for a spell contest a few weeks ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7064354&postcount=13).

You might find it complements this one. Mine has to be cast before the memories you want erased, but affects more than one creature.

That's a really cool spell. I like how it requires you to plan in advance.

DanielLC
2009-10-23, 05:57 PM
With amnesia, you'd be the first thing they see after losing their memory. With memory lapse, you'd be the fist thing they see before. If you cast memory lapse and then amnesia...

Lysander
2009-10-23, 06:14 PM
With amnesia, you'd be the first thing they see after losing their memory. With memory lapse, you'd be the fist thing they see before. If you cast memory lapse and then amnesia...

That would be a useful way of deleting their memory of both before and after you arrive.

cooperflood
2009-10-23, 06:25 PM
I think it's solid. Mechanically its very similar to Modify Memory which is a 4th lvl Bard Spell or a 3rd lvl Psionic (Telepath) Power. However if your trying to fit more closely with the core spells you should eliminate the Suggestion aspect and make it just a flat 5 minutes of memory erased. That being said I don't think your version is unbalanced.

Stormthorn
2009-10-23, 06:26 PM

So if you cast them both in 0 time (like with epic feats to get more than one quickened spell) what would they experiance?

DanielLC
2009-10-23, 07:10 PM
Even an immediate action takes time. You could use time stop to cast memory lapse (which has an area effect), but not amnesia.

If you somehow got that to work, they'd forget everything that happened until then, and then forget the rest a few rounds later. Nothing special.

Lysander
2009-10-23, 07:44 PM
So if you cast them both in 0 time (like with epic feats to get more than one quickened spell) what would they experiance?

If you cast them the same round or one right after the other the person would experience a time jump right away, then later they would forget that time jump and have another jump.

For example, let's say Point A was five minutes ago, point B is right now, point C is a few rounds in the future when Memory Lapse kicks in. You cast Memory Lapse then cast Amnesia. The person's memory is kicked back to point A. They wonder how they got there.

Person: How did I get here? Last thing I remember was Point A!

Then point C arrives. They forget everything that happened since Point B.

Person: How did I get here? Last thing I remember was Point A!

edit: This wouldn't work if you cast Amnesia first though because they would remember anything that happens between casting Amnesia and casting Memory Lapse, even if it's just a split second. In that case at point C you'd get:

Person: How did I get here? I was at Point A, then for a second I saw Point B!

This is all assuming the person can actually notice the time jumps though. A guard standing at their post all day might not notice a shift of a few minutes.

Lapak
2009-10-25, 12:20 AM
With amnesia, you'd be the first thing they see after losing their memory. With memory lapse, you'd be the fist thing they see before. If you cast memory lapse and then amnesia...Both spells are ranged, of course; Memory Lapse was intended to be a spell that might very well be cast from concealment and from a distance.